PDA

View Full Version : Dave Niehaus, dead at age 75

gnomeflinger
11-10-2010, 08:25 PM
SEATTLE -- Dave Niehaus, the iconic announcer who has broadcast Seattle Mariners baseball games since the team's first days in 1977 has died. He was 75.

The team confirmed the death Wednesday afternoon. They have not said what the cause of death is.

In 2008, Niehaus received the Ford C. Frick Award, which is awarded annually for major contributions to baseball broadcasting.

"I'm a lucky guy. I love the game. If I wasn't out here doing the games broadcasting I'd be out here sitting in the stands," Niehaus said in the days before receiving the baseball announcer's highest honor.

Although he was a broadcaster - not a team member - he was in a sense the Mariners' first star - long before Junior, A-Rod, The Big Unit and Ichiro.

Day in and day out, his calls were often punctuated by his raised voice and trademark "My oh My!" and "It will fly away!" during a moment to celebrate.

While a few players and managers with Mariners connections have found a place in Cooperstown, Niehaus is the first Seattle star to be honored in the Hall.

RIP Dave. Seattle won't be the same without you. :sad: