View Full Version : Selvin Young? 2,000-yard season in the NFL? Write it down

MOtorboat
08-14-2008, 04:25 PM
From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram
http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/831542.html

Selvin Young? 2,000-yard season in the NFL? Write it down
BY CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
chill@star-telegram.com

DENVER — Selvin Young plans to rush for 2,000 yards in 2008.

Yes, that Selvin Young.

The one who was largely a backup running back during an injury-riddled college career at the University of Texas. The same one who went undrafted by all 32 teams in 2007 before latching on with the Denver Broncos as a rookie free agent.

“Everything I said is legitimate from my thought process,” Young said while walking off the field after a joint practice between the Dallas Cowboys and Broncos. “That is something I would like to accomplish. I understand a lot of things have to come together for me to accomplish that goal. So if it comes to pass, it’s going to be great.”

However, before you scoff — and many will since there have been only five 2,000 rushers in NFL history — consider that Young has already done more than anyone thought he would.

He came out of nowhere to start eight games as a rookie and become the first undrafted player to lead the Broncos in rushing with 729 yards.

It’s the third-most rushing yards for an undrafted rookie in NFL history.

He survived a gang-infested upbringing in Houston’s Fifth Ward, including a gunshot wound at age 8. He criss-crossed through 19 elementary and junior high schools before moving to Jersey Village for high school.

Blame it on a broken home, poverty, moving back and forth between his mother and father while staying with other family members in between. Young said he has “been to damn near every school in Houston.”

To that end, he believes he already has been a success.

It’s also why he doesn’t let the doubters bother him. It was his belief in his own dreams and abilities that got him this far.

“Early on I understood that my life and the cards I was dealt wasn’t all aces and spades,” Young said. “So I had to deal with what I was dealt with and the obstacles that came and overcome those things. For a person like myself to get in college, coming from poverty and from a neighborhood where guys don’t even understand what college is, I feel like I was ahead of the curve.”

Young got a boost in his quest for 2,000 yards when was promoted to the starting lineup in the off-season.

The Broncos showed further confidence in Young when they released former troubled starter Travis Henry in June.

It’s safe to say that Young is buoyed by a running back-friendly offense in Denver under coach Mike Shanahan.

In Shanahan’s 13 previous seasons as head coach, the Broncos have finished among the league’s top 10 teams in rushing 12 times, with seven different running backs having led the team in rushing in a season.

“Selvin Young was obviously injured at Texas, but he came in here, stayed healthy and took advantage of an opportunity,” Shanahan said. “Anytime you get a scholarship and are averaging about 5.5 to 6 yards per carry at Texas, you know you have a big upside, and he is taking advantage of that opportunity here.”

Asked what he expects from Young in 2008, Shanahan joined in on the fun:

“Well, he guaranteed 2,000 [yards] I think, so he is going to be much better.”

Young said he’s going to be better because he knows what it took to get this far. He also knows his undrafted pedigree will always bring doubters and challengers to his starting job.

“My mind-set will never change. I still feel like I have come off the street,” Young said. “I’m a guy most people look at and say, ‘Where did this guy come from? He wasn’t a top draft pick.’ It’s already in the back of people’s minds that he shouldn’t be at the top. So my mind frame is to stay hungry and believe in myself. This is just the beginning.”

But also probably a good ending.

Young began writing a motivational book in college about his experiences titled Keep it Moving.

He has jotted down things from his childhood to his various schools to his injuries and setbacks at Texas. He is on Chapter 11 now and plans to write 22 chapters for all the schools that he has attended, including Texas and Austin Community College.

“I never got down on myself,” Young said.

“Every time things got hard, I put it in my book. Hopefully, when I am done, somebody else will be motivated by it. If 2,000 [yards] happens, it will be a great ending. We will have to see.”

BroncoJoe
08-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Sounds a bit like, um, uh...

#80.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-14-2008, 04:36 PM
2,000 yards? Yeah, and Brandon Marshall is going to catch 300 passes.

turftoad
08-14-2008, 04:57 PM
I hope he does but talk is cheap.

silkamilkamonico
08-14-2008, 04:58 PM
"2000 yards? Yeah, and" Elvis Dumervil is going to have 45 sacks too.

topscribe
08-14-2008, 05:29 PM
I admire a man who believes in himself.

-----

honz
08-14-2008, 05:40 PM
I admire a man who believes in himself.

-----
Definitely. I highly doubt he gets 2000 yards, but I admire the fact that he is working towards a goal and coming into the season with a chip on his shoulder.

Go get some, Selvin!:salute:

D1g1tal j1m
08-14-2008, 06:03 PM
I like the confidence but show some humility. He should have said that he had high goals for himself and leave it at that. Anytime you put a number on a goal you doom yourself to either achieving said goal or you have failed.

atwater27
08-14-2008, 06:09 PM
You know, my first thought was hey dude, shut your mouth about 2000.
But then I thought, hey, if his body can hold up, why not? It seems like the only thing stopping him from success. His YPC seems outstanding enough, if he can stay healthy, to rush for at least 1500.

turftoad
08-14-2008, 06:20 PM
You know, my first thought was hey dude, shut your mouth about 2000.
But then I thought, hey, if his body can hold up, why not? It seems like the only thing stopping him from success. His YPC seems outstanding enough, if he can stay healthy, to rush for at least 1500.

Agreed.

2000 divided by 16 games is 125yrds per game ave.

It's not just him that needs to stay healthy, so does the rest of the offense for that to happen.

ktrain
08-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Selvin the human being is a great kid and you have to hand it to him for having the guts and self confidence to overcome adversity. I'll take him any day over head cases like Travis Henry and Ricky Williams who have tons of talent and every opportunity but blow it by smoking weed and fathering illegitimate children......

As for Selvin, the player, from the sounds of things he was one awkward fall (that resulted in a broken elbow) away from starting the season on the pine. It is kinda hard to tote the rock for 2k when you are backing up a rookie who himself is coming off injury

Retired_Member_001
08-14-2008, 06:30 PM

Then why haven't more running backs who are better and more experienced rush for 2,000 yards?

turftoad
08-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Agreed.

It's not just him that needs to stay healthy, so does the rest of the offense for that to happen.

Then why haven't more running backs who are better and more experienced rush for 2,000 yards?

As I stated in my previous post. Not only that but it's tough to do for 16 straight games.

Retired_Member_001
08-14-2008, 06:37 PM
As I stated in my previous post. Not only that but it's tough to do for 16 straight games.

And that's a major part of it.

There are loads of running backs who could be amazing, but they can't because they cannot endure a whole season.

topscribe
08-14-2008, 06:39 PM

So far, their figures look more credible than yours. They are talking about
5.2 YPC, with the third highest rushing yards by a rookie. I haven't seen
anybody better than that. Have you? Really?

I'm not saying Selving is going to achieve that 2,000. What I am saying is
people have laughed before, and people have had their mouths shut before.

If we don't want to get behind our players in what they want to do, then
maybe we are rooting for the wrong team.

-----

Stargazer
08-14-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm glad Young is aiming high.

What's not to like about that.

Retired_Member_001
08-14-2008, 06:46 PM
So far, their figures look more credible than yours. They are talking about
5.2 YPC, with the third highest rushing yards by a rookie. I haven't seen
anybody better than that. Have you? Really?

I'm not saying Selving is going to achieve that 2,000. What I am saying is
people have laughed before, and people have had their mouths shut before.

If we don't want to get behind our players in what they want to do, then
maybe we are rooting for the wrong team.

-----

I usually defend Selvin, but I really don't think he will run for 2,000 yards. It's around that time when everyone is getting pumped up for the season and everyone believes that we are going 16-0 and that Cutler will throw 50 TD's and what not. Even if Selvin Young could run for 2,000 yards, our offensive line is not in the position to provide him that. Yes our offensive line is much better than last year, but we are very young (Clady, Harris) and very old at the same time (Nalen, Weigmann).

If Selvin stays healthy, he could be well up there in the rushing leaders table. However, that is a fairly big if.

Of course, if he can stay healthy, we will have one premier running backs in the league.

atwater27
08-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Selvin the human being is a great kid and you have to hand it to him for having the guts and self confidence to overcome adversity. I'll take him any day over head cases like Travis Henry and Ricky Williams who have tons of talent and every opportunity but blow it by smoking weed and fathering illegitimate children......

As for Selvin, the player, from the sounds of things he was one awkward fall (that resulted in a broken elbow) away from starting the season on the pine. It is kinda hard to tote the rock for 2k when you are backing up a rookie who himself is coming off injury

He wasn't backing up anybody. What depth charts are you looking at?

Retired_Member_001
08-14-2008, 06:54 PM

Madden 09 just came out.

:laugh:

topscribe
08-14-2008, 07:20 PM
I usually defend Selvin, but I really don't think he will run for 2,000 yards. It's around that time when everyone is getting pumped up for the season and everyone believes that we are going 16-0 and that Cutler will throw 50 TD's and what not. Even if Selvin Young could run for 2,000 yards, our offensive line is not in the position to provide him that. Yes our offensive line is much better than last year, but we are very young (Clady, Harris) and very old at the same time (Nalen, Weigmann).

If Selvin stays healthy, he could be well up there in the rushing leaders table. However, that is a fairly big if.

Of course, if he can stay healthy, we will have one premier running backs in the league.

In every outstanding achievement I have ever read about, there have
always been a bunch of reasons each of them would not be accomplished.
One can look at all the reasons one will not accomplish a given objective,
or one can look a the reasons one will.

As I clearly stated, "I'm not saying Selvin is going to achieve that 2,000."
But I will quote a very wise and famous man: "What the mind can believe,
it can achieve." Selvin has my full-hearted support for his optimism and
belief.

A lot of things must happen for a RB to achieve a lofty 2,000 yards. But for
those who did achieve them, those things happened. Think about it.

-----

broncogirl7
08-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Go Selvin! You can do it!
I admire the hell at of you for setting goals and expecting to achieve them! Stay healthy, work hard, and think positive!

broncogirl7
08-14-2008, 07:50 PM
In every outstanding achievement I have ever read about, there have
always been a bunch of reasons each of them would not be accomplished.
One can look at all the reasons one will not accomplish a given objective,
or one can look a the reasons one will.

As I clearly stated, "I'm not saying Selvin is going to achieve that 2,000."
But I will quote a very wise and famous man: "What the mind can believe,
it can achieve." Selvin has my full-hearted support for his optimism and
belief.

A lot of things must happen for a RB to achieve a lofty 2,000 yards. But for
those who did achieve them, those things happened. Think about it.

-----

Was that Napoleon Hill?

dogfish
08-14-2008, 09:00 PM
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug"

~ rick james

ktrain
08-14-2008, 09:08 PM

I read several quotes stating that Torrain was likely to be the starter week one untle the injury sidelined him, The word is he was really kicking ass

topscribe
08-14-2008, 09:20 PM
I read several quotes stating that Torrain was likely to be the starter week one untle the injury sidelined him, The word is he was really kicking ass

The reports I read (which I assume were the same reports) stated that
Torain was getting himself into the position where he may begin to challenge
for the starting job. Which doesn't necessarily mean anything . . . other than
that they recognized some skills in him . . . since Hall and Pittman had been
challenging all along, until Hillis went down and they needed another FB,
which then left only Hall.

-----

WARHORSE
08-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Whether predictions or not, makes no difference.

I think its possible, just not likely. You have to get a ton of touches to reach 2000.

At 5.2 ypc............385 to be exact.

I dont see the Broncos giving any of the backs that amount of touches again. Only way we see that is to see a premier back in our backfield.

Just my opium.:coffee:

Dreadnought
08-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Whether predictions or not, makes no difference.

I think its possible, just not likely. You have to get a ton of touches to reach 2000.

At 5.2 ypc............385 to be exact.

I dont see the Broncos giving any of the backs that amount of touches again. Only way we see that is to see a premier back in our backfield.

Just my opium.:coffee:

Exactly. I think if he is getting that many carries they are doing it wrong. We have some good depth at RB, so there is no reason at all anyone should see over 300 IMO.

BroncoBJ
08-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Yea, I hope he gets 2000 yards as well. That would mean that Denver had a good season I think ;). But I love someone with confidence.

I didn't know he had such a rough background life though.

scott.475
08-15-2008, 12:41 AM
TD carries 96, 97, 98: 345, 369, 392

Jamal Anderson, '98: 410

Emmitt Smith had 7 years where he carried over 300 times (5 of those over 350)

Bettis carried over 300 five times

Faulk carried over 300 twice

Jamal Lewis has done it 5 times

My point is that I don't think giving an elite back the ball 300+ times means you are doing something wrong, but you must be doing something right. I am no coach, but I figure you will only be giving your RB the ball that many times if he is being productive with his touches. If opposing teams can't figure out how to stop your guy after being cumulatively exposed to him 300+ times, you are clearly doing something right.

I'm not saying SY will get 2000, but I am pulling for him to get them...you have got to set a goal. AND, it is not as if he guaranteed a win over a given team.

Dreadnought
08-15-2008, 06:32 AM
TD carries 96, 97, 98: 345, 369, 392

Jamal Anderson, '98: 410

Emmitt Smith had 7 years where he carried over 300 times (5 of those over 350)

Bettis carried over 300 five times

Faulk carried over 300 twice

Jamal Lewis has done it 5 times

My point is that I don't think giving an elite back the ball 300+ times means you are doing something wrong, but you must be doing something right. I am no coach, but I figure you will only be giving your RB the ball that many times if he is being productive with his touches. If opposing teams can't figure out how to stop your guy after being cumulatively exposed to him 300+ times, you are clearly doing something right.

I'm not saying SY will get 2000, but I am pulling for him to get them...you have got to set a goal. AND, it is not as if he guaranteed a win over a given team.

Just a difference in philosophies I guess. I don't believe in a "featured back" approach. A lot of pretty smart people do. I am a huge Selvin Young supporter, but especially in his case I would worry about the wear and tear on him. If we have other quality backs on the roster, and I don't think we have a shortage, rotating in fresh legs is a good thing. I would actuall be happier if we kept him at 250 carries for the Year rather than 300, because I think it will let him maintain his effectiveness. I don't see Young being able to absorb the kind of pounding Jerome Bettis did either over the long haul.

scott.475
08-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Just a difference in philosophies I guess. I don't believe in a "featured back" approach. A lot of pretty smart people do. I am a huge Selvin Young supporter, but especially in his case I would worry about the wear and tear on him. If we have other quality backs on the roster, and I don't think we have a shortage, rotating in fresh legs is a good thing. I would actuall be happier if we kept him at 250 carries for the Year rather than 300, because I think it will let him maintain his effectiveness. I don't see Young being able to absorb the kind of pounding Jerome Bettis did either over the long haul.

The 2000 yard rushers have been Simpson, Dickerson, Sanders, Davis and Lewis. I have no memory of watching Simpson, little of watching Dickerson, but from watching highlights of those guys, it appears they were more speed backs than power backs, also clearly the case with Sanders. TD was an almost perfect balance of power and speed, and I think Lewis is a pretty good balance of the two (at least he was his 2000+ yard year.) So, I guess my point here as that since the 2000 yard rushers seem to be, probably by necessity, more speed than power, they may take less punishment, since they are more likely to have to be tackled, maybe one-on-one, in the secondary, than closer to the line where you have 2, 3, 4 guys tackling you. Just a theory, but seems sensible to me. :coffee: