PDA

View Full Version : Broncos promote Ball to protect him from other teams

Denver Native (Carol)
11-10-2010, 02:19 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16574834

Interest from other teams in Lance Ball pushed the Broncos to promote their top preseason running back from the practice squad to the 53-man roster today.

To make room for Ball, the Broncos waived tight end Daniel Coats, who was signed a day earlier.

There were five teams — Carolina, Green Bay, Buffalo, Indianapolis and Philadelphia — that made transactions involving running backs this week.

Had the Broncos not promoted Ball to the 53-man roster, they would have lost him.

"There was some interest in Lance," said Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. "We've spent a lot of time with Lance. We like the way he's progressed in our system. You have to make a choice sometimes. You've invested a lot of time and effort into him. He's invested a lot of time and effort into our system. He's on the practice squad to develop and hopefully have a future with us. So based on the interest there was in Lance we went ahead and made that choice. We still have an interest in Coats, too. It's unfortunate it had to happen that quick."

Also:

* McDaniels confirmed Ryan Harris has returned as the starting right tackle and rookie Zane Beadles has shifted from right tackle to starting left guard.

* Cornerback Andre' Goodman (quadriceps) and outside linebacker Robert Ayers (foot) have been ruled out for the game Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs, but all other players are available.

SOCALORADO.
11-10-2010, 02:23 PM
http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/peytonhillis.jpg

topscribe
11-10-2010, 02:27 PM
I guess I had the wrong impression about Coats. They still like him, but they had no choice . . .

-----

Dzone
11-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Cool. Maybe Lance Ball will have a breakout game..He played pretty welll in Preseason from what I remember. Whats his height and weight?
I am expecting us to beat KC at home this sunday...The New term this year is "Trap Game"...ya gotta have hope

Dreadnought
11-10-2010, 02:30 PM
I guess I had the wrong impression about Coats. They still like him, but they had no choice . . .

-----

Sure they did. Useless Laurence Maroney is still wasting a roster spot, isn't he?

topscribe
11-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Sure they did. Useless Laurence Maroney is still wasting a roster spot, isn't he?

Yeah, I forgot about that. Why is he still there?

Is it for the same reason they stubbornly hung onto Lamont Jordan for so long?

-----

dogfish
11-10-2010, 02:40 PM
yea. . . he's so incredibly valuable to us that he won't see the ball once this year. . . what a resource. . .

LMAO

Ravage!!!
11-10-2010, 02:47 PM
yea. . . he's so incredibly valuable to us that he won't see the ball once this year. . . what a resource. . .

LMAO

Waddya mean? Its nearly working for Tebow! :D

UrbanBounca
11-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Cool. Maybe Lance Ball will have a breakout game..He played pretty welll in Preseason from what I remember. Whats his height and weight?
I am expecting us to beat KC at home this sunday...The New term this year is "Trap Game"...ya gotta have hope

You know, with the recent offensive line change, I'm feeling good about Sunday, too.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TimTebow15MVP
11-10-2010, 03:28 PM
really mcdaniels? it took other teams wanting Ball for mcdaniels to finally activate the kid? I still cant believe Ball hasnt been getting his touches t his year. Yes Ball is a average back but hes a a power back that we lack. with fresh legs. who looked pretty good in the pre season. lets get him some work. lets get maroney some WORK. because i doubt my boy moreno is 100%.

Ravage!!!
11-10-2010, 03:32 PM
really mcdaniels? it took other teams wanting Ball for mcdaniels to finally activate the kid? I still cant believe Ball hasnt been getting his touches t his year. Yes Ball is a average back but hes a a power back that we lack. with fresh legs. who looked pretty good in the pre season. lets get him some work. lets get maroney some WORK. because i doubt my boy moreno is 100%.

He rarely is.

Broncos Mtnman
11-10-2010, 04:01 PM

Ex-Pats get a free pass with Mickey.

:coffee:

rcsodak
11-10-2010, 04:01 PM
so macbeth is a go? Cool. And I'd like to see them pickup jason allen since goodman is still hurt. 3int's in 7gms!

nevcraw
11-10-2010, 04:23 PM
he could get 1000 yds. in another system.

BCJ
11-11-2010, 03:32 AM
Yeah, I forgot about that. Why is he still there?

Is it for the same reason they stubbornly hung onto Lamont Jordan for so long?

-----

well, to be fair, Lamont was better than the guy behind him and had to play when our starters got hurt. The guy behind LaMont? Forgot his name but I think it ryhmes with Peyton Hillis.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-11-2010, 09:19 AM
With all these practice squad moves lately, it makes me wonder why we haven't tried to find someone to aid in the pass rush? No Dumervil, no Ayers for several more weeks, and Jason Hunter and Moss just aren't getting it done.

Adalius Thomas is still a street FA and we haven't contacted him. If you don't like that option, what about Jammie Kirlew or Alexander. Both were brought in a pass rushers in TC and didn't make the final roster, but they can't be any worse than what we are currently dealing with. How about Rulon Davis who we picked up last year as an UDFA. He was great in college but we cut him and I doubt he's caught on elsewhere.

With the current state of the pass rush, we don't seem to be trying to fix it and that puzzles me.

claymore
11-11-2010, 10:03 AM
With all these practice squad moves lately, it makes me wonder why we haven't tried to find someone to aid in the pass rush? No Dumervil, no Ayers for several more weeks, and Jason Hunter and Moss just aren't getting it done.

Adalius Thomas is still a street FA and we haven't contacted him. If you don't like that option, what about Jammie Kirlew or Alexander. Both were brought in a pass rushers in TC and didn't make the final roster, but they can't be any worse than what we are currently dealing with. How about Rulon Davis who we picked up last year as an UDFA. He was great in college but we cut him and I doubt he's caught on elsewhere.

With the current state of the pass rush, we don't seem to be trying to fix it and that puzzles me.

Thomas is on Bellicheats black list so he will never sniff the 303/970 area code while the current regime is in charge.

Thnikkaman
11-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Its about freaking time. I have wanted to see him on the 53 man roster since week 1. He ran all over Pittsburgh in our Pre Season game.

BroncoJoe
11-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Thomas is on Bellicheats black list so he will never sniff the 303/970 area code while the current regime is in charge.

It's actually the 303/720 area code for Denver.

:tsk:

topscribe
11-11-2010, 10:23 AM

970 covers Greeley and Ft. Collins, then on north and west in Colorado . . .

-----

BroncoJoe
11-11-2010, 10:25 AM
970 covers from Ft. Collins on north and west in Colorado . . .

-----

I know. Using 970 and not 720 was a blunder.

dogfish
11-11-2010, 11:20 AM
so clay's a dumbass-- that's not news. . .

we should've signed jarron gilbert, but naturally rex ryan nabbed him. . . :tsk:

pnbronco
11-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Has anyone heard if Cox has recovered from his concussion?

Glad to hear that Harris is back and hope that Zane has a outstanding game.

TimTebow15MVP
11-11-2010, 06:38 PM
cox is back in the starting line up

Northman
11-11-2010, 06:39 PM
cox is back in the starting line up

Can i ask why you have a DB taken in the first round in your mock sig?

rcsodak
11-11-2010, 06:51 PM
if he had anything left, he'd be on NYJ roster.

TimTebow15MVP
11-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Can i ask why you have a DB taken in the first round in your mock sig?

because if peterson who i think is a safety in the nfl is off the board and dareus will be off the board we go with the best defensive player available. Prince is a shut down corner and a tackling machine as a corner. very physical bump and run just like cox. prince and cox with dooms and ayers back rushing the pass spells nightmare for opposing offenses. besides we can adress the DL in rounds 2-3. This draft is very deeeeep for 3-4 personell on the DL. We dont have to reach in the top 5 for a DL just because we need one. If it aint dareus then it dont make sense to me taking a DLinemen inthe top 5

Northman
11-11-2010, 06:59 PM
because if peterson who i think is a safety in the nfl is off the board and dareus will be off the board we go with the best defensive player available. Prince is a shut down corner and a tackling machine as a corner. very physical bump and run just like cox. prince and cox with dooms and ayers back rushing the pass spells nightmare for opposing offenses. besides we can adress the DL in rounds 2-3. This draft is very deeeeep for 3-4 personell on the DL. We dont have to reach in the top 5 for a DL just because we need one. If it aint dareus then it dont make sense to me taking a DLinemen inthe top 5

I think we need to concentrate on the line more than DB in the first round especially considering where its likely we will be drafting. We need to stop the bleeding with the opposing run game first and it would be a bad move to ignore the DL for the 5th consecutive year. IMO

As to DL, i noticed you have Marcus Austin from UNC but i doubt we draft him because of character issues.

10/8/10: Austin has been suspended indefinitely by head coach Butch Davis, and this is unrelated to the NCAA investigation of the North Carolina football team. Pictures and information have surfaced and there is now a mountain of character concerns surrounding Austin. Some team might take a gamble on Austin's talent in the early rounds, but there is also the chance that 75 percent of the league removes him from their 2011 NFL Draft Boards.

I like you pick of Jones though and have no problem with the Bailey or Orton trades (if they happen).

TimTebow15MVP
11-11-2010, 07:12 PM
I dont think Austin has character issues because he took some money in college.. I dont think mcdaniels (if hes here) can afford to pass up on a great talent outside of the first round. He showed with Perrish Cox that hed take a chance on a rookie with so called character issues rather than to deal with 3-4 years deep into the NFL players with character issues. Perrish Cox even during a depressing season is just out there being a good citizen and teammate.

Mcdaniels feels like he can take a chance on a great talent (cox) and turn them into a professional. And well Cox has been nothing short of professional even during tough times. futures looking bright for him so if im mcdaniels im taking an Austin type of player. Not in the first round but after that its worth it. Exspecially with some of the veterans we have. Since dawkins has arrived have we even had any off the field issues? No young players on our team gets in trouble.Thats why hes so important to keep around even though hes not a every down player.

At the end of the day i think we have the right type of guys in the locker room to take chances on rookie players with so called character issues.

Northman
11-11-2010, 07:16 PM
I dont think Austin has character issues because he took some money in college.. I dont think mcdaniels (if hes here) can afford to pass up on a great talent outside of the first round. He showed with Perrish Cox that hed take a chance on a rookie with so called character issues rather than to deal with 3-4 years deep into the NFL players with character issues. Perrish Cox even during a depressing season is just out there being a good citizen and teammate.

Mcdaniels feels like he can take a chance on a great talent (cox) and turn them into a professional. And well Cox has been nothing short of professional even during tough times. futures looking bright for him so if im mcdaniels im taking an Austin type of player. Not in the first round but after that its worth it. Exspecially with some of the veterans we have. Since dawkins has arrived have we even had any off the field issues? No young players on our team gets in trouble.Thats why hes so important to keep around even though hes not a every down player.

At the end of the day i think we have the right type of guys in the locker room to take chances on rookie players with so called character issues.

Cant say i totally agree with you. Mainly because we had Marshall here and clearly neither Dawkins nor McDaniels were able to convince him to be a better person while in Denver. So for every player that "could" be ok with character issues it goes totally away from McD's mantra of good character guys. Im not sure what the problem was with Cox in College but i just dont see McD taking a guy like Austin personally. Not too mention, the real talent on the DL is in the first round anyway.

TimTebow15MVP
11-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Yeah but marshall was marshall for 3 years in a row, Theres nothing a coach or player can do for a player like Marshall. Thats why i said it appears MCD will take the chance on a rookie rather than a player thats 3-4 years into the league like (marshall)

Same with Cutler, Same with Sheffler, If your gonna have character issues your gonna have to be MY GUY is what mcdaniels basically said when he drafted perrish cox. I think its a good approach, nobody wants to deal with there friends bad ass kids, But ill deal with mines.

The Glue Factory
11-11-2010, 07:36 PM
So getting back on topic. You know, the one about Lance getting the Ball...

I wonder what will happen Sunday evening and Monday morning if Ball ends up having a showing like Moreno and the rest have before him. :confused:

Nomad
11-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Its about freaking time. I have wanted to see him on the 53 man roster since week 1. He ran all over Pittsburgh in our Pre Season game.

He's gonna unleash a Quentin Griffin type of game against the Chiefs! BTW, that was a fun game to watch!!

robert ethan
11-11-2010, 08:25 PM
:shocked:

T.K.O.
11-11-2010, 08:43 PM
not here to bust lance's balls but........
moreno has been proclaimed by mcD to be the healthiest he's been all year and plan's to use him until he gets his damn 100 yd game or gets hurt again tryin'
so lance might get 2-4 carries:salute:

claymore
11-11-2010, 08:55 PM

Its been a long time Joe. And boy do I feel like an ass for getting 970 forever tattooed on my forearm. :(

pnbronco
11-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Its been a long time Joe. And boy do I feel like an ass for getting 970 forever tattooed on my forearm. :(

:laugh:...hey isn't this past your bed time?????

claymore
11-11-2010, 09:00 PM
:laugh:...hey isn't this past your bed time?????

Its getting late! Man am I lame!!!!!!!!!!