PDA

View Full Version : Buffs AD Bohn has a coach to pick

Denver Native (Carol)
11-10-2010, 09:40 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_16569468

BOULDER — The home run Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn thought he hit on his last football hire turned out to be three called strikes down the middle. As he steps up to the plate for his next hire, he knows his own future at CU depends on how far he drives the ball.

If he listens to the Buffaloes' fan base, he'll give Bill McCartney, the winningest coach in school history and winner of the 1990 national title, a long look.

"There's a great amount of interest," said former CU quarterback Joel Klatt, a radio talk-show host on 87.7-FM The Ticket, of fans' support toward Mac. "It's all the way to the point where I don't know if another decision can be made because of the support."

McCartney wants the job, and Bohn said he'll definitely talk to him. He is far from the slam dunk his supporters might assume, however, due in part to his age, 70, and concern among many that CU can do better than going back in time.

At this early point, one day into Bohn's search to replace Dan Hawkins, McCartney appears the most viable candidate if only because the other names believed to be atop CU's wish list might not be gettable.

Sources close to the search say Bohn's A List includes Air Force coach Troy Calhoun and former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, both of whom are long shots. Calhoun is a rising star and may wait for another opening down the road he views as more attractive. Bellotti is retired from coaching and has no ties with CU.

On Bohn's B List, sources say, are names such as Alabama offensive coordinator Jim McElwain; Florida State defensive coordinator Mark Stoops; interim CU coach Brian Cabral; former Buffs Eric Bieniemy and Jon Embree, both NFL assistants; and Mullen High School coach Dave Logan. Louisiana State coach Les Miles, a former CU assistant, remains the holy grail, but the Buffs likely can't compete financially for his services.

McCartney last coached 16 years ago and would be considered a huge gamble for Bohn to put back on the sideline having been away from the game so long. Bohn himself appears to be looking more long range early in his search, but McCartney will definitely get a shot.

"Bill McCartney is a viable candidate for us to consider," Bohn said. "No question about it. He's a great statesman for our program and he's a national championship coach and we recognize that Coach McCartney will be somebody we'll have an interest in exploring."

In a Denver Post online poll, McCartney was running a close third behind Logan and Miles. Many fans envision Logan coming in under McCartney's wing and being groomed as his successor. Logan, 56, has won five state titles with Mullen, Chatfield and Arvada West.

However, Bohn has no interest in hiring a coach with a coach in the waiting.

"I'm not saying we wouldn't do it, but it doesn't appear to make a lot of sense for us at this point," Bohn said. "We want an established person in charge."

How McCartney's role would be perceived is one big issue surrounding his potential hiring.

"People are divided about what kind of role he should play," said Sandy Clough of Sports Radio 104.3-FM The Fan and a Denver talk show host for 31 years. "Some say name him coach, give him a four- or five-year contract or maybe have some sort of successor in place. Give him two or three years and clearly identify a transitional figure.

"But I'd say 55 to 60 percent (of callers) are kind of like, 'Come on. Let's leave the past in the past. Let's move ahead with a younger guy who's a little more attuned to the Pac-12.' "

A younger guy, perhaps, like CU took a chance on when it named McCartney head coach to succeed Chuck Fairbanks in 1982. McCartney took over a debt-ridden program that was among the worst in Division I-A, and after three years of ineptitude the Buffs began an upward climb that culminated in winning the 1990 national title.

His program was not without issues, however. In 1989, Sports Illustrated reported that at least two dozen football players had been arrested from 1986 to '89 on charges that included rape and burglary.

By the early '90s, McCartney cleaned it up, and Rashaan Salaam won the school's first Heis man Trophy in 1994.

Then, at the end of that season, McCartney shocked the country by quitting, primarily to promote Promise Keepers, his own Christian-based men's organization. He has not coached since.

McCartney will say little publicly during the search process. "I won't interview through the newspapers," he said. However, he did say he has been receiving lots of support for a possible return. "It's been overwhelming and very gratifying," he said.

Boosters are mixed in their opinion of him.

"I think he'd be very successful," said booster Chris Renfrow, a '98 grad. "When everybody thinks 'McCartney,' they think back to the glory days. Expectations must be tempered. But smoothing things over with the fan base, people know he cares. People know he's done it before."

Tim Thomas, Class of '70, was a season-ticket holder for 15 years and isn't sold.

"There's always going to be a little bit of nostalgia," Thomas said. "I have a lot of CU friends, and I haven't heard anyone bouncing off the walls over the prospects. Part of it is the age factor. I realize Joe Paterno won 400 games but I'm not sure you revitalize a program with a 70-year-old."

A look at possible candidates for the job (in alphabetical order):

A LIST

• Mike Bellotti. Former Oregon coach and current ESPN analyst wants to coach again but said "only if it's the right fit." He's never been to Boulder, and if he ever compares Colorado's 20th-century facilities with Oregon's 21st-century ones, he'll likely see it isn't the right fit.

• Troy Calhoun. He has made Air Force a consistent bowl team and is just down the road. He's an Air Force grad and Air Force guy. When asked Tuesday about the position, he said, "I have only one answer: We're doing everything we can to get ready to play New Mexico. You're allowed to have those ideas. We won't."

• Bill McCartney . CU's career-wins leader wants the job and has support from a big chunk of fan base. However, he's 70 and hasn't coached in 16 years. He might be a short-term solution to a long-term problem. Then again, he has a national title ring.

• Les Miles. He's reportedly tired of teeming pressure at LSU, but he just beat Alabama so he's cool again. An LSU administrator said Monday that the school doesn't want him going anywhere. He loved Boulder as a McCartney assistant in the 1980s, but with a $3.95 million salary, he'd have to take a 50 percent pay cut.

B LIST

• Eric Bieniemy. Former Colorado All-American and current Vikings running backs coach has never been a coordinator, which could be a landing spot if McCartney gets the job.

• Brian Cabral. All Colorado's interim coach has to do is sweep the last three games and get into a bowl. Since 1970, there have been 31 in-season coaching changes. Only one interim — Clemson's Dabo Swinney — had a winning record. He was retained.

• Jon Embree. Bieniemy teammate is a Redskins assistant who falls under the same category. Those two and McCartney could resurrect a lot of the 1990 aura.

• Dave Logan. Local high school coaching icon has mass support. CU athletic director Mike Bohn won't do a coach-in-waiting and would likely consider him only if he used his ties to organize a whopper of an NFL-laden staff.

• Jim McElwain. Offensive coordinator helped Alabama to last season's national title and Mark Ingram to a Heisman Trophy. He's a Montana native and Eastern Washington grad and wants to get back out west.

• Mark Stoops. Florida State defensive coordinator spent the previous six years in the same job at Arizona working under brother Mike. Mark knows the Pac-12, and the Stoops family has a history of success.

rcsodak
11-10-2010, 01:37 PM
TAKE VENABLES. PLEEEEEEEEZ!
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

slim
11-10-2010, 01:43 PM
I like Calhoun as coach, but I wonder about his ability to recruit (not required at AF).

I also like Logan. I know he is a HS coach, but I don't care. So save the speech for someone else.

Nomad
11-10-2010, 04:56 PM
CU would be ignorant not to go with Mike Bellotti. He took a crappy Oregon team and made them into what they are! He knows how to recruit in the Pac 10 and could bring CU back to winning again!!

McCartney did good for the Buffs but he's old and not the same!!!

Take Miles and we'll take Bellotti at LSU, then again we'll have to see how he does against Ole Miss and Arkansas!!

EDIT: Never mind , Don't get Belloti, they need him more at Washington St !!

Nomad
11-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Here's another article about a few different names and some of the same names!!

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/10/buffs-chancellor-would-like-new-coach-to-have-recent-pac-10big-12-ties/

Denver Native (Carol)
11-12-2010, 06:11 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16596119

Former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti said today that he has talked to Colorado about its open football coaching job.

"We had some initial talks, nothing more than that," Bellotti said from Oklahoma where he's broadcasting Saturday's Texas Tech-Oklahoma game for ESPN. "As this thing goes on, we'll see. That's the only way I can characterize it."

During his 14 years at Oregon, Bellotti played Colorado three times but never in Boulder. Colorado beat Oregon, 38-6, in the 1996 Cotton Bowl and 51-43 in the 1998 Aloha Classic, but lost 38-16 in the 2002 Fiesta Bowl.

Bellotti said he has been contacted by other schools, some of which don't have an opening yet. He said he doesn't know enough about Colorado to decide if he's interested.

"I'm interested in getting back in coaching," he said. "But it would have to be the right situation. I'll have to do some research and get a better feel."

Bellotti compiled a 171-116-55 record and took the Ducks to 12 bowl games. They finished second in the country in 2001, the same season in which they beat Colorado in the Fiesta Bowl.

Bellotti, 59, resigned after the 2008 season to become athletic director and left that position after nine months to join ESPN.

In other Colorado coaching news, the school will not pursue former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach who was fired last season after he locked a player in an equipment shed as a punitive measure.

"Too much baggage," one Colorado source said.

Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn said a search committee will be announced next week.

Nomad
11-12-2010, 08:34 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I need to contact the Wash St AD pronto!!!:D I believe Buff fans will be happy with Bellotti!!

Denver Native (Carol)
11-19-2010, 05:53 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c3e902/article/vikings-confirm-colorado-eyeing-bieniemy-for-headcoach-job

EMB6903
11-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Just as long is it isnt somebody whose been away from coaching the game for 15+ years...

EMB6903
11-19-2010, 07:37 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I need to contact the Wash St AD pronto!!!:D I believe Buff fans will be happy with Bellotti!!

Belotti would be a dream come true with the pipeline he has in Cali.

Big time pac 12 roots who would be my #1 Realistic choice.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti said Sunday he is removing himself from consideration for the Colorado football job and likely from coaching in 2011.

Bellotti recently visited Boulder for an informal meeting with CU officials but decided he wasn't ready to return to coaching after a two-year absence.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16674053

Nomad
11-21-2010, 04:50 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16674053

He's saving himself for the WAZZU job, I can feel it! or is it just gas!!:D

Nomad
12-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Here ya go Buff fans!!!

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16759314

Buff
12-02-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm hearing mixed reports that Eric Bieniemy will become Embree's offensive coordinator. That will kind of make or break this hire, if you ask me. I love Bieniemy, but he was probably a bit too inexperienced to become head coach right now. If we can get him back as OC, that would be HUGE for recruiting.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Here ya go Buff fans!!!

Since this broke this morning, I have heard on two different local radio sports stations, that Bohn is denying this. WHO KNOWS

slim
12-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Embree?

Yikes...

Dzone
12-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Hire Mark Stoops

Denver Native (Carol)
12-02-2010, 09:56 PM
It's a "done deal," source says; Bill McCartney says Eric Bieniemy will be offensive coordinator

Jon Embree has verbally accepted Colorado's offer to become its next head football coach, according to Bill McCartney, the legendary ex-Buffs' coach. Embree will hire former Buffs' great Eric Bieniemy as his offensive coordinator, McCartney said.

"Embree's going to be the head coach and Bieniemy's going to be the offensive coordinator," McCartney told The Denver Post today. "Take it to the bank and hang your hat on it."

A source close to the search also confirmed Thursday afternoon that Embree had accepted.

"It's a done deal," the source said, adding only that minor details need to be ironed out before his hiring could be announced.

Article gives full run down on Embree

Denver Native (Carol)
12-03-2010, 02:00 PM
# Embree recruited Justin Bannan to #CU and was Graham's position coach in Boulder. Both said Embree choice will reinvigorate alumni base. about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck

# #Broncos CU alums Daniel Graham and Justin Bannan enthusiastically support Embree for CU's new head coach. about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/postbroncos

Buff
12-03-2010, 02:50 PM
My dad, who is pretty anti-CU, was asking why a program that has struggled as much as CU would put so much emphasis on bringing in a former Buff.

Even if Embree doesn't pan out to be a great hire and gets fired in 4-5 years, I still think this is the right move for now. Bringing in Embree and Bieniemy, two well respected former Buffs, is going to bring back a lot of the donors and fans who were alienated by Dan Hawkins. Right now getting season ticker holders and $$ contributors back is a huge priority. They might be pandering to the fans a little bit with this hire, going with two inexperienced, but well-liked guys... But I think that might be a smart move given the state of the program.

Nomad
12-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Who ever they get, they better be good at recruiting in the Pac 10 as much as recruiting in CO!

You think this is a PR/quota move!?!

Buff
12-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Who ever they get, they better be good at recruiting in the Pac 10 as much as recruiting in CO!

You think this is a PR/quota move!?!

Assuming Bieniemy comes on as offensive coordinator as most reports have said, then recruiting is actually one of the huge strong points of this hire. Bieniemy is one of the best recruiters in the nation. Little known fact: Maurice Jones-Drew was ready to come to Colorado when EB was Running Backs coach at CU, but then Bieniemy took a job with UCLA that year and so MJD changed his committment and followed him to California... Now EB can add "Coached Adrian Peterson" to his resume.

Both Embree and Bieniemy have worked for CU and UCLA in the past, so they're well versed recruiting Cali.

And while it's not the most politically correct topic to bring up, it's at least worth mentioning that having two black coaches might help in that arena as well.

To answer your question, I don't think it was a quota hire... I think both guys were high on the list. Embree might not have our first choice, but they were on the short list from the start.

Slick
12-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm not all that excited about Bienemy being the OC when he has zero experience in doing so. Love him as a recruiter and motivator though.

Dzone
12-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Good lord, they are going with the PC pick over far more qualified candidates. Oh well.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Eric Bieniemy, the Minnesota Vikings' running backs coach, has accepted the offer as Colorado's next offensive coordinator.

"Be there soon," he wrote in a text to The Denver Post.

He also texted friends and Vikings reporters with the news. However, he plans to finish the current season with the Vikings.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16777921

Nomad
12-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Listening to Embree introduction on 87.7, he sounds like a coach who hasn't a clue!! JMO!!