PDA

View Full Version : Broncos start second half with team evaluations

Denver Native (Carol)
11-09-2010, 04:26 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_16564841

The Broncos officially opened their season's second half Tuesday, beginning their preparations for Sunday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Head coach Josh McDaniels said Tuesday morning, that after a week of review some lineup changes could be in the offing — especially in the offensive line — and that the Broncos would try to tweak what they could following their bye week to reverse their 2-6 start.

"(We've) got to really spend some time evaluating things," McDaniels said in his first public comments since immediately following the Broncos' loss in London. "Most of it was spent on our team, analyzing a lot of the things we can improve on. We're excited to see if some of the things we're going to implement and change will have an impact."

McDaniels wouldn't commit specifically to the changes in the offensive front, but he hinted they would be on the way, saying "we're going see how it goes" and that "there's some moving parts, I think."

One change may likely will be Ryan Harris' return to right tackle to replace rookie Zane Beadles. Beadles has started the last three games in Harris' place, but the Broncos' struggles in the run game and pass protection have continued through all five of the combinations they have played in the offensive line thus far.

Beadles likely will move to left guard, with the Broncos having started both Stanley Daniels and Russ Hochstein there already this season.

McDaniels added the Broncos got a "healthier" during the bye week, but that quarterback Kyle Orton (right shoulder) was "sore." Orton took a big hit from 49ers outside linebacker Manny Lawson in the third quarter of the game in London.

He finished out the game, but would have been a question mark had the Broncos had to play last week. McDaniels expected Orton to practice this week and be ready to go Sunday.

"He's OK, he's sore," McDaniels said. "I don't want to speak for him, but overall (he's) fine."

T.K.O.
11-09-2010, 04:33 PM
just..........DO SOMETHING !
cuz what we doin' now ain't gettin it done!:salute:

Northman
11-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Just win.

SOCALORADO.
11-09-2010, 04:43 PM
OUT
http://johnnypunish.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/josh-mcdaniels.jpg

IN
http://www.art-dept.com/artists/riedel/portfolio/additional01.10/portrait/Jon_Gruben.jpg

dogfish
11-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Head coach Josh McDaniels said Tuesday morning, that after a week of review some lineup changes could be in the offing — especially in the offensive line — and that the Broncos would try to tweak what they could following their bye week to reverse their 2-6 start.

"(We've) got to really spend some time evaluating things," McDaniels said in his first public comments since immediately following the Broncos' loss in London. "Most of it was spent on our team, analyzing a lot of the things we can improve on. We're excited to see if some of the things we're going to implement and change will have an impact."

McDaniels wouldn't commit specifically to the changes in the offensive front, but he hinted they would be on the way, saying "we're going see how it goes" and that "there's some moving parts, I think."

we can only hope that bowlen is still cognizant enough to be doing a similar review of his coaching and front office lineup, and contemplating whether he wants to make changes as well. . .

everyone in this organization SHOULD be on notice from joe ellis down to the grounds crew. . .

Shazam!
11-09-2010, 06:03 PM
I thought offseason and practice was for evaluating?

Lonestar
11-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I thought offseason and practice was for evaluating?

Yes it is. But everyone is worrying about where gruden will go.

But since Josh will be here next year it is MOOT.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Dzone
11-09-2010, 07:06 PM
we can only imagine what it would be like to have Gruden in charge. Gruden has a quality of leadership that Mcdenial can only dream about.Unfortunately, this arrogant and divisive coach will still be here...Mcd will be around too long, just like Dan Hawkins was at CU way too long

I Eat Staples
11-09-2010, 07:16 PM
McD needs to evaluate himself, he'll find the answers to all the problems with this team.

The Glue Factory
11-09-2010, 08:16 PM
everyone in this organization SHOULD be on notice from joe ellis down to the grounds crew. . .

:laugh: :lol: :pound:

That's hilarious! We've all gotten it wrong. It's the grounds crew fault for our losing so many games. Got it. ;)

dogfish
11-09-2010, 10:45 PM
:laugh: :lol: :pound:

That's hilarious! We've all gotten it wrong. It's the grounds crew fault for our losing so many games. Got it. ;)

poor field = injuries

:heh:

HORSEPOWER 56
11-09-2010, 11:01 PM
All in all, the players we have aren't going to change. Juggling the O-line every damned week isn't going to fix the f'n problems we have. If anything, it will make shit WORSE because guys like Beadles can't get comfortable ANYWHERE before he's moved to a new spot! How about our coaches actually COACH for once? Win games with the players you have and TEACH them how to play their position properly for Christ's Sake!

This is by far the WORST Damned coaching staff in the frickin' league. Hey McDaniels, I've got an idea... why don't you COACH your team and force your assistants to do the same? Maybe you should have your players play to their strengths instead of always trying to force them to adapt to your horrible scheme? How about you don't destroy their confidence every damned week forcing them to play out of position then benching them when they can't make the impossible plays you try to force them to make? How about taking the responsibility for grooming the guys to play better and mentoring them instead of just promoting them, moving them around, then demoting them every God Damned week when your pathetic game plan doesn't work out?

How about you DEMOTE YOURSELF and let someone who has a clue coach the team? You're all about the team, right Josh? The best thing you can possibly do right now to make this team better is to remove your sorry ass from it!

This guy is a total ASS CLOWN and I really hope he is fired as soon as humanly possible (like this week when we get BLOWN OUT by KC).

/rant.

dogfish
11-09-2010, 11:18 PM
All in all, the players we have aren't going to change. Juggling the O-line every damned week isn't going to fix the f'n problems we have. If anything, it will make shit WORSE because guys like Beadles can't get comfortable ANYWHERE before he's moved to a new spot! How about our coaches actually COACH for once? Win games with the players you have and TEACH them how to play their position properly for Christ's Sake!

This is by far the WORST Damned coaching staff in the frickin' league. Hey McDaniels, I've got an idea... why don't you COACH your team and force your assistants to do the same? Maybe you should have your players play to their strengths instead of always trying to force them to adapt to your horrible scheme? How about you don't destroy their confidence every damned week forcing them to play out of position then benching them when they can't make the impossible plays you try to force them to make? How about taking the responsibility for grooming the guys to play better and mentoring them instead of just promoting them, moving them around, then demoting them every God Damned week when your pathetic game plan doesn't work out?

How about you DEMOTE YOURSELF and let someone who has a clue coach the team? You're all about the team, right Josh? The best thing you can possibly do right now to make this team better is to remove your sorry ass from it!

This guy is a total ASS CLOWN and I really hope he is fired as soon as humanly possible (like this week when we get BLOWN OUT by KC).

/rant.

breath, man!

:lol:

Lancane
11-09-2010, 11:37 PM

/rant.

Hahahaha.... I don't think any of us could have said it any better then that!

HORSEPOWER 56
11-09-2010, 11:40 PM
breath, man!

Sorry, bro. I've just had it with him. He coaches my Broncos like they are a Pop Warner squad and he's a first year football coach whose son made the team and he's standing on the sidelines clueless every game trying to keep up with what's going on on the field while trying to read Football For Dummies so he can maybe figure out why his team is getting its ass kicked.

Every time he opens his mouth, I want to put my fist in it. I really have developed a strong hatred for him and his nonchalant "we're evaluating players" bullshit has finally sent me off the deep end. It's obvious this guy is in so far over his head that he can't tell his ass from a hole in the ground right now.

I hope Denver fires him and he never works in professional football again. I hope the path he has taken to destroy my team leads him right out of football for good. It's not one or two things, it's EVERYTHING this guy has done or not done. You know, after the draft I typed up a nice long post about how I was drinking the koolaid and on the wagon and excited about this season, but he has completely stripped that from me with his arrogance and nonchalant incompetence. His complete inability to even make the Broncos competitive while always looking elsewhere other than himself for answers as to why we are so horrible is EXACTLY why he doesn't deserve the honor or privilege of coaching our Broncos.

**** MCDANIELS!!!!! :mad2:

dogfish
11-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Sorry, bro.

no need to apologize to me. . .

i'm not in rage mode over it :heh:, but i'm far from happy with the way things are going myself. . .

Shazam!
11-10-2010, 01:56 AM
Thank God there's the Cowboys to keep Denver as being the worst... but watch them resurge with a spark vs. NYG Sunday.

dogfish
11-10-2010, 02:36 AM
Thank God there's the Cowboys to keep Denver as being the worst... but watch them resurge with a spark vs. NYG Sunday.

nah, not with that offensive line against the giants beast mode pass rush-- not with brad jonson, err, john kitna. . .

Nomad
11-10-2010, 07:34 AM
I would hope Bowlen is evaluating McDaniels as well!! He can start off on a good note by getting this win vs the Chiefs..... the BRONCOS will!!!

2 game skid for the Chiefs, KCL!!!:)

Nomad
11-10-2010, 07:36 AM
OUT
http://johnnypunish.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/josh-mcdaniels.jpg

IN
http://www.art-dept.com/artists/riedel/portfolio/additional01.10/portrait/Jon_Gruben.jpg

You need to redo Gruden's tie to orange and blue!:D

SOCALORADO.
11-10-2010, 10:32 AM
You need to redo Gruden's tie to orange and blue!:D

I dont have those skillz.
someone here might though...

jhildebrand
11-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Maybe you should have your players play to their strengths instead of always trying to force them to adapt to your horrible scheme?

That would have been my comment.

Lonestar
11-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Looks like this should be in smack not BT.

Most of the rants in here sound like Raider Joe.

Northman
11-10-2010, 11:28 AM

/rant.

For a guy who is supposedly rebuilding he sure is panicking by moving players around instead of giving them experience to improve. No skin off my nose, the more he seems the confused the better it is and faster he will be out of here and get the RIGHT guy in place.

BroncoWave
11-10-2010, 11:35 AM
For a guy who is supposedly rebuilding he sure is panicking by moving players around instead of giving them experience to improve. No skin off my nose, the more he seems the confused the better it is and faster he will be out of here and get the RIGHT guy in place.

But if he kept it the same I have no doubt you'd be bashing him for stubbornly sticking with something that isn't working.

Northman
11-10-2010, 11:42 AM
But if he kept it the same I have no doubt you'd be bashing him for stubbornly sticking with something that isn't working.

Totally incorrect.

Ive said it in other threads, if he put Tebow in and allowed the young guys to play and had a TRUE rebuild then i would be far more forgiving for what he is doing. But, thats not the case here.

arapaho2
11-10-2010, 11:53 AM

/rant.

brother...you got to learn how to release some anger...keeping that shit bottled up like you do isnt healthy...learn to vent...learn to vent

Mike
11-10-2010, 12:01 PM
I am glad that he is shaking things up on the line. Clady, Beadles, Walton, Kuper, Harris. I still think we need a new o-line coach.

I really hope we beat the Chiefs this weekend. 2 weeks to prepare coming off of 2 poor performances. This team better come out fired up and they damn well better not lose to KC in Denver.

The Glue Factory
11-10-2010, 12:07 PM
brother...you got to learn how to release some anger...keeping that shit bottled up like you do isnt healthy...learn to vent...learn to vent

How's that old beer commercial go?

Guy (holding case of brewski's): I need to go vent
Girl: Oh good. I'll be here when you get back.
Guy with friends: I gotta vent some more. (crack, phsssh, glug, glug, glug.)

rcsodak
11-10-2010, 12:10 PM
we can only imagine what it would be like to have Gruden in charge. Gruden has a quality of leadership that Mcdenial can only dream about.Unfortunately, this arrogant and divisive coach will still be here...Mcd will be around too long, just like Dan Hawkins was at CU way too long
lmao. Arrogant/divisive? Not gruden? CHUCKY!?

HORSEPOWER 56
11-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Looks like this should be in smack not BT.

Most of the rants in here sound like Raider Joe.

So criticizing the team or expressing displeasure with their performance in the Broncos Talk Forum is now considered smack? Or is it just criticizing McDaniels that doesn't belong here in your opinion (don't answer that, it's a rhetorical question that we already know the answer to)?

So if we were bashing Shanahan, Cutler, Marshall, or Scheffler (who aren't even Broncos and technically should be discussed in the Other NFL Teams forum) then it would be definitely not smack and would be okay, right? :rolleyes:

If you do it to former Broncos then it's okay and not smack but if the rest of us do it to the current players and coaches it's smack talk? I think you might be a little too old to understand what "Smack" is. Maybe you should ask your grandkids to explain it to you.

rcsodak
11-10-2010, 12:36 PM
breath, man!

ummmm....yeah.

and using profanity isn't being profound. I highly doubt God/Christ really care about this team, anymore than another. But I'm seemingly alone with the choir, so...... :coffee:

rcsodak
11-10-2010, 12:49 PM
no need to apologize to me. . .

i'm not in rage mode over it :heh:, but i'm far from happy with the way things are going myself. . .
and I'll be laughing my ass off everytime I hear McD talk now. :lol: Especially after the '11 season is over and he's 9-7 and Mr B extends him. :D
BTW, I'm going with 4/12 this year, and the #4 pick.

rcsodak
11-10-2010, 12:51 PM
NYG will blow them out and prolly make Dallas go to thei #3 qb.

Northman
11-10-2010, 12:53 PM
and I'll be laughing my ass off everytime I hear McD talk now. :lol: Especially after the '11 season is over and he's 9-7 and Mr B extends him. :D

But you predicted 9-7 this year.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=37957

:laugh:

BroncoStud
11-10-2010, 12:54 PM

Heck no. The Giants are going to destroy John Kitna. He might throw 7 interceptions.

rcsodak
11-10-2010, 12:54 PM
damned if he do...damned if he do not. :rolleyes:

rcsodak
11-10-2010, 01:04 PM
But you predicted 9-7 this year.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=37957

:laugh:
uninformed guess. Didnt think oak/kc/stlouis would be this much better. 9-5=4.

KCL
11-10-2010, 02:58 PM
I would hope Bowlen is evaluating McDaniels as well!! He can start off on a good note by getting this win vs the Chiefs..... the BRONCOS will!!!

2 game skid for the Chiefs, KCL!!!:)

Maybe...maybe not....;)

I Eat Staples
11-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Quoted because this should be stated every few minutes.

I think you might be a little too old to understand what "Smack" is. Maybe you should ask your grandkids to explain it to you.

Made me laugh. :lol:

SOCALORADO.
11-10-2010, 04:59 PM
**** MCDANIELS!!!!! :mad2:[/QUOTE]

:defense:UMP McDooDoohead

Cugel
11-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Yes it is. But everyone is worrying about where gruden will go.

But since Josh will be here next year it is MOOT.

Correction: Bowlen would LIKE for McDaniels to "be here next year." He's desperately hoping McDaniels can turn things around and at least get the team back to respectability so that he, Bowlen, won't have to admit massive FAILURE in hiring him in the first place and pull the plug after only 2 seasons.

However, if the team finishes with the worst record of any Broncos team since 1967 (4-12 -- which is what they're on pace to do right now), then Bowlen will not have any real choice.

Not changing coaches at that point is going to lead to a total ticket holder REVOLT unlike anything we've seen in Denver in the last 35 years.

Stadium revenues rely in part on selling those luxury suites. How many do you think will sell if corporations and executives are convinced that the team will continue to suck for another year -- and there's nothing to look forward to but another year of total failure -- followed by 2 or 3 more of "rebuilding" whereby a new coaching regime comes in and gets rid of all of McDaniels' mistakes?

In this bad economy, how many season ticket holders will simply PUNT?

In short. Bowlen would LOVE to extend McDaniels, but he isn't going to be able to unless Josh manages to turn this train-wreck around and give him SOME signs that things are improving -- something like a 3 game winning streak or some late season victories on the road or winning their division games.

But, if the team continues to fall apart, there's no way McDaniels can come back for another year.

Cugel
11-10-2010, 05:45 PM

If the Broncos get the #4 pick and McDaniels sticks around, do you think they can draft Alphonso Smith again? :coffee:

I Eat Staples
11-10-2010, 06:49 PM
If the Broncos get the #4 pick and McDaniels sticks around, do you think they can draft Alphonso Smith again? :coffee:

I think he'll draft a blocking TE.

dogfish
11-10-2010, 06:50 PM

I think he'll draft a blocking TE.

you guys are scaring me, stop!

:fear:

TXBRONC
11-10-2010, 06:57 PM

Yeah it is scary because it really isn't that far fetched given his drafting history.

Ravage!!!
11-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Yeah it is scary because it really isn't that far fetched given his drafting history.

and we still need a TE :lol:

HORSEPOWER 56
11-11-2010, 08:32 AM

QFT. As excited as I'd be with a top five draft pick, I'd be just as worried McDaniels would misuse it. I'm sure he's going to spend it on the offense regardless.

Actually, he'll probably try to trade out of it because there a re a lot of top prospect QBs coming out this year and someone will be willing to trade up for one (Josh has his QBs). I don't have a problem trading down and stockpiling picks, either, but he'd better damned well fix the D-line or I'll drive to Denver and poop on his porch and set it on FIRE!

dogfish
11-11-2010, 11:22 AM
he's not fixing the line, HP. . . it's better if you just let that little fantasy die now. . . .

:wave:

Ravage!!!
11-11-2010, 11:27 AM
QFT. As excited as I'd be with a top five draft pick, I'd be just as worried McDaniels would misuse it. I'm sure he's going to spend it on the offense regardless.

Actually, he'll probably try to trade out of it because there a re a lot of top prospect QBs coming out this year and someone will be willing to trade up for one (Josh has his QBs). I don't have a problem trading down and stockpiling picks, either, but he'd better damned well fix the D-line or I'll drive to Denver and poop on his porch and set it on FIRE!

yeah.. I love stock piling picks. I remember doing that last year and.... wait.

Gimpygod
11-11-2010, 04:03 PM

/rant.

so you're saying we have a chance?:confused:

Gimpygod
11-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Sorry, bro. I've just had it with him. He coaches my Broncos like they are a Pop Warner squad and he's a first year football coach whose son made the team and he's standing on the sidelines clueless every game trying to keep up with what's going on on the field while trying to read Football For Dummies so he can maybe figure out why his team is getting its ass kicked.

Every time he opens his mouth, I want to put my fist in it. I really have developed a strong hatred for him and his nonchalant "we're evaluating players" bullshit has finally sent me off the deep end. It's obvious this guy is in so far over his head that he can't tell his ass from a hole in the ground right now.

I hope Denver fires him and he never works in professional football again. I hope the path he has taken to destroy my team leads him right out of football for good. It's not one or two things, it's EVERYTHING this guy has done or not done. You know, after the draft I typed up a nice long post about how I was drinking the koolaid and on the wagon and excited about this season, but he has completely stripped that from me with his arrogance and nonchalant incompetence. His complete inability to even make the Broncos competitive while always looking elsewhere other than himself for answers as to why we are so horrible is EXACTLY why he doesn't deserve the honor or privilege of coaching our Broncos.

You need to stop beating around the bush! Just say what you mean, you are parsing your words so much I have no idea what you are trying to say! If I read between the lines I think you're trying to say you don't like McDaniels… Is this so?:elefant:;)

Gimpygod
11-11-2010, 04:12 PM
uninformed guess. Didnt think oak/kc/stlouis would be this much better. 9-5=4.

I believe this accurately describes most of your McDaniels opinions… You get an A+ on this post. Well done!

Broncolingus
11-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Broncos start second half with team evaluations

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kr3odvg8Quc/SFBWCvagHDI/AAAAAAAAAIk/zwVJphVrv74/s200/grade_F.jpg

TimTebow15MVP
11-11-2010, 06:36 PM
your always evaluating. exspecially in times like these where our record will be pathetic enough to land us a top 5 pick. you want too see how players play through extreme adversity. if they fight hard and continue to play with swagger like they know there good lol. thats a good team in the making right there.

If they tank it then the next coach if there is a next coach wont like that and there will be another bigtime roster change that will only hurt. Im hoping since we have alot of young guys they take this losing season as a chance to get reps and go hard and just have fun being a bronco knowing next year will be alot differant.

Im really digging the idea of having Prince and Cox @ corner with dooms and ayers coming back. mcbath/draftee at safety.. some dl help in rounds 2-3 and were looking pretty strong on defense. the offense is already set for the future.

Bottom line theres plenty to evaluate.....im evaluating mcdaniels ass also! he aint off the hook he better start scoring more than 18 points a game with all this damn talent on this offense! the OL is finally healthy so nomore excuse for 18 points a game mister mcdaniels. time to bring the offense! starting with KC. i know we wont win many games with our defensive personell so if were gonna lose we better lose in high scoring games.

Ravage!!!
11-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I personally do not think the offense is set for the future. But hey... :whoknows:

rcsodak
11-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Correction: Bowlen would LIKE for McDaniels to "be here next year." He's desperately hoping McDaniels can turn things around and at least get the team back to respectability so that he, Bowlen, won't have to admit massive FAILURE in hiring him in the first place and pull the plug after only 2 seasons.

However, if the team finishes with the worst record of any Broncos team since 1967 (4-12 -- which is what they're on pace to do right now), then Bowlen will not have any real choice.

Not changing coaches at that point is going to lead to a total ticket holder REVOLT unlike anything we've seen in Denver in the last 35 years.
I disagree. Have you forgotten how big the list is of people WANTING tix? And mostREASONABLE know that eventually the team will get turned around. These young coaches need time to learn from their mistakess. Mangenious has proven that. McD is better, imo. Most here were happy he kept wink as DC. He needs time as well.

rcsodak
11-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Gee, cug....I dont think thats feasable. :coffee:

TimTebow15MVP
11-11-2010, 07:15 PM
I personally do not think the offense is set for the future. But hey... :whoknows:

only thing missing is tebow.

rcsodak
11-11-2010, 07:20 PM
2 proven questionable pix in 2 yrs is scary?
I bet I can find some HC's with entire draft pix not making it in the league. McD is LEARNING. I WONDER HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE NOT MADE ANY MISTAKES AT THEIR JOBS. (oops. Didnt mean to yell)

Northman
11-11-2010, 07:22 PM
I bet I can find some HC's with entire draft pix not making it in the league. McD is LEARNING. I WONDER HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE NOT MADE ANY MISTAKES AT THEIR JOBS. (oops. Didnt mean to yell)

Mistakes can cost you your job though. Just saying. :D

rcsodak
11-11-2010, 07:24 PM
I believe this accurately describes most of your McDaniels opinions… You get an A+ on this post. Well done!
No more than yours or anybody else here.. :coffee:

Ravage!!!
11-11-2010, 07:26 PM
only thing missing is tebow.

REALLY?? I haven't seen an OL yet. We still don't have a TE that can help this team. I haven't seen a RB worth ANYTHING, and I KNOW I haven't seen Tebow even attempt a pass in the NFL.

I Eat Staples
11-11-2010, 08:16 PM
So how about that Dez Bryant? Legitimate ROTY nominee so far.

Oh but he wouldn't carry some pads in practice and he spoke to Deion Sanders (gasp!). Good thing we didn't take that naughty little malcontent!

Cugel
11-11-2010, 08:24 PM

EVERYBODY ALWAYS tries to trade down out of the top 5 because of the enormous guaranteed salaries. And for the same reason almost NOBODY succeeds. Virtually the only position that can conceivably be worth such enormous sums of money ($50+ million with $30+ million guaranteed ) for a ROOKIE is if you need a QB.

In 2009 the Jets desperately wanted a QB -- and since they failed to get Cutler despite dangling multiple first round picks -- they traded up to #5 get Mark Sanchez.

That's about the ONLY reason you'd ever trade into the top 5. So, unless Denver's extremely lucky and some top QB falls into their laps -- and some team is hungry and willing to part with a mid 1st round pick and a mid 2nd (like the Jets were for Sanchez), then Denver will be STUCK with the pick. And there's often nothing good they can do with it.

For example in 2009 the KC Chiefs were stuck at #3 and -- for lack of a better option -- were forced to throw a BAZILLION $ at 3-4 DE Tyson Jackson.

Jackson is not a bad 3-4 DE, but is he worth $57 million with $31 million guaranteed (after a lengthy holdout cost him much of training camp and the pre-season)?

No. :coffee:

#4 pick went to the Seahawks who signed LB Aaron Curry to a six-year, $60 million contract including $34 million guaranteed (the highest contract ever awarded a non-QB rookie in NFL history).

Curry could be the next Ray Lewis and he'd still probably be overpaid at that salary.

That's probably what the Broncos are looking at next season (if there IS a season) - since they just drafted Tebow it's hard to justify using ANOTHER #1 pick on a QB (no matter how great of a prospect is available) and virtually ANY other position is overpaid at at that price.

Probably the best bet is to find a stud OL. But they already have Ryan Clady and paying LT prices for a RT is stupid (even if they want to give up on Harris -- who after all was a 2nd round pick).

WR? CB? LB? DE? DT? Those are your options. But, unless you snag a MONSTER pass-rushing NT you're wasting tons of money at #1 through #5.

rcsodak
11-11-2010, 09:48 PM
EVERYBODY ALWAYS tries to trade down out of the top 5 because of the enormous guaranteed salaries. And for the same reason almost NOBODY succeeds. Virtually the only position that can conceivably be worth such enormous sums of money ($50+ million with $30+ million guaranteed ) for a ROOKIE is if you need a QB.

In 2009 the Jets desperately wanted a QB -- and since they failed to get Cutler despite dangling multiple first round picks -- they traded up to #5 get Mark Sanchez.

That's about the ONLY reason you'd ever trade into the top 5. So, unless Denver's extremely lucky and some top QB falls into their laps -- and some team is hungry and willing to part with a mid 1st round pick and a mid 2nd (like the Jets were for Sanchez), then Denver will be STUCK with the pick. And there's often nothing good they can do with it.

For example in 2009 the KC Chiefs were stuck at #3 and -- for lack of a better option -- were forced to throw a BAZILLION $ at 3-4 DE Tyson Jackson.

Jackson is not a bad 3-4 DE, but is he worth $57 million with $31 million guaranteed (after a lengthy holdout cost him much of training camp and the pre-season)?

No. :coffee:

#4 pick went to the Seahawks who signed LB Aaron Curry to a six-year, $60 million contract including $34 million guaranteed (the highest contract ever awarded a non-QB rookie in NFL history).

Curry could be the next Ray Lewis and he'd still probably be overpaid at that salary.

That's probably what the Broncos are looking at next season (if there IS a season) - since they just drafted Tebow it's hard to justify using ANOTHER #1 pick on a QB (no matter how great of a prospect is available) and virtually ANY other position is overpaid at at that price.

Probably the best bet is to find a stud OL. But they already have Ryan Clady and paying LT prices for a RT is stupid (even if they want to give up on Harris -- who after all was a 2nd round pick).

WR? CB? LB? DE? DT? Those are your options. But, unless you snag a MONSTER pass-rushing NT you're wasting tons of money at #1 through #5.

With the possibility of a rookie cap, this may not be the case. And if Denver has a top 5 pick, it's gonna take more than a mid 1st/2nd to move up, going by the point scale, no?

Canmore
11-12-2010, 02:38 AM
With the possibility of a rookie cap, this may not be the case. And if Denver has a top 5 pick, it's gonna take more than a mid 1st/2nd to move up, going by the point scale, no?

Lets hope there is football in 2011 and a rookie cap. My big hope is we use our top 5 pick wisely.

TXBRONC
11-12-2010, 02:33 PM

True two are already proven to have been questionable picks. And exactly which picks have proven he knows what he's doing?

I Eat Staples
11-12-2010, 03:21 PM
True two are already proven to have been questionable picks. And exactly which picks have proven he knows what he's doing?

I'd argue that at least two have been proven bad picks, and pretty much the rest have been questionable.