PDA

View Full Version : TheTampaTribune:He's Itching To Contribute

Skinny
09-19-2007, 05:11 PM
By BOB BELLONE
Sep 19, 2007

DENVER - The doors to the Denver locker room swung open and a wave of reporters streamed into a sea of happy Broncos after Sunday's stirring 23-20 overtime victory against the hated Oakland Raiders.

Simeon Rice wasn't in the mood to hang around and celebrate with his new teammates, slipping past the media and into the hallway.

Before he disappeared through a stadium exit, the former Buccaneers defensive end was approached about his home debut in front of a roaring crowd at Invesco Field at Mile High.

"It wasn't too exciting," he said. "I didn't play that much, you know what I mean?"

The usually affable Rice immediately answered his own question.

"Nah, I came here to play. I'm healed up. I'm good," he said. "I'm going to start getting a little bit more in tune with things so I can dominate this game like I do. But it was cool, we won."

Rice, 33, has been working his way back from surgery to repair an injured left shoulder that sidelined him for the second half of last season. He finished with a career-low two sacks after averaging 13.5 in his first five years with the Bucs.

Rice was released by Tampa Bay after failing a club physical and refusing to restructure his contract July 26, the day he reported to training camp. He met with the New York Giants, Tennessee Titans and St. Louis Rams before signing a one-year contract with the Broncos on Sept. 3.

The 12th-year veteran joins a collection of fresh faces along the defensive front wall. In April, Denver spent three of its four draft picks to acquire linemen Jarvis Moss and Marcus Thomas of Florida and Tim Crowder of Texas.

Eager to lead the way, Rice is steamed about restrictions on his playing time that limited him to a solo tackle in a dramatic season-opening triumph at Buffalo and one assisted stop against Oakland.

Broncos safety John Lynch has heard his former Bucs teammate plead with coaches for a greater role.

"Knowing Simeon's competitiveness, he's not liking it," Lynch said, "but I think they're trying to be smart, too. When we get him going full speed, this football team is going to be better for it."

The crowning achievement for Rice during his stint with Tampa Bay was a pair of first-half sacks in a 48-21 dismantling of the Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII. He ranks second behind Michael Strahan among active pass rushers with 121 career sacks.

Lynch, whose eight Pro Bowl selections include all three seasons since the Bucs released him, was asked if he thinks the Bucs erred again by prematurely cutting loose another defensive standout in Rice.

"No comment," he said, grinning. "I think that goes without saying."

http://www.tbo.com/sports/MGB2RYEBR6F.html

ChampWJ
09-19-2007, 07:16 PM
That attitude bothers me a bit. It seems like Simeon might be more interested in personal achievements rather than the good of the team. It's probably too early to judge him though, let's let this play out a while.

DenBronx
09-19-2007, 07:32 PM
That attitude bothers me a bit. It seems like Simeon might be more interested in personal achievements rather than the good of the team. It's probably too early to judge him though, let's let this play out a while.

why would it bother you? he wants to make plays, he loves to sack people and he wants to contribute to the team. so why would wouldnt anyone want him to do that?

broncosinindy
09-19-2007, 08:33 PM
why would it bother you? he wants to make plays, he loves to sack people and he wants to contribute to the team. so why would wouldnt anyone want him to do that?There is nothing wrong with thinking he should be starting. He has proven that he can. although he needs to do what is best for the team. I am on the fence about this one. part of me wanting to punch him in the dome. and the other half wanting to punch the D coach in the dome.

DenBronx
09-19-2007, 08:38 PM
There is nothing wrong with thinking he should be starting. He has proven that he can. although he needs to do what is best for the team. I am on the fence about this one. part of me wanting to punch him in the dome. and the other half wanting to punch the D coach in the dome.

am i missing something? i dont get what was so wrong with what rice said. the dude competes at a high level and wasnt happy with his performance.

ChampWJ
09-19-2007, 08:46 PM
am i missing something? i dont get what was so wrong with what rice said. the dude competes at a high level and wasnt happy with his performance.

This is what bothers me:

"Simeon Rice wasn't in the mood to hang around and celebrate with his new teammates"

Come on!

DenBronx
09-19-2007, 08:48 PM
This is what bothers me:

"Simeon Rice wasn't in the mood to hang around and celebrate with his new teammates"

Come on!

exactly, he wasnt in the mood. he was pissed at the way he performed and remained in a bad mood. ever get in a really bad mood and choose not to go out with a girl or some friends because you dont want to look like a jerk or jackass? thats probably why he didnt celebrate with them. seems like you guys are reading too much into it.

Broncos Mtnman
09-19-2007, 08:50 PM

All I know is Lynch lobbied hard for him to come here. If Rice had an attitude problem, I don't John would have done that.

The man just wants to play. I'll take that over "Big Bust" oops, I mean "Big Money" Warren, who quit competing once he got his big contract.

lex
09-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Look at it this way. The guy didnt produce the way he wanted and isnt allowing the team win to obscure that. He is holding himself individually accountable...or at least playing with a chip on his shoulder. Sometimes wins cover up too many flaws but with him, he is putting it on himself to be more productive to force more playing time. All in all, we had pretty good production from Moss and Dumervil so one more DE that produces is all the better.

DenBronx
09-19-2007, 09:01 PM
All I know is Lynch lobbied hard for him to come here. If Rice had an attitude problem, I don't John would have done that.

The man just wants to play. I'll take that over "Big Bust" oops, I mean "Big Money" Warren, who quit competing once he got his big contract.

i dont think we'll see any sort of additude from rice when he starts getting sacks. i think he just wants more playing time. we finally seem to have a solid rotation of pass rushers now and maybe next week we'll start seeing more than 15-20 snaps out of rice.

TXBRONC
09-19-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm ready for him to start getting sacks.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-19-2007, 10:25 PM
yeah there is nothing wrong with this, when a player draws attention to himself for something unrelated to football and or his play (cough TO cough) then they become a problem

rice wants to contribute what he knows he is capable of and the is definately more than 1 tackle a game, i really think engleberger should be 2nd string, or even 3rd, i give the man props for being good on the run but that is not what we need, we need a physical defensive end with good speed to contain the edges and get immediate pressure on the QB, i think Rice and wither elvis or Moss could do this more effectively than engleberger

too many time he was beat around his edge by the qb (even though he was held a good portion of the game) he needs to be able to get out of the OL grasps at some point

Watchthemiddle
09-19-2007, 10:30 PM

If he does have an attitude, this defense needs it. I don't see it as me me me, I see it as wanting to compete.

Like someone else said, John Lynch endorsed him.......I would take his word for it when it comes to endorsements. Just my opinion.

TXBRONC
09-19-2007, 10:31 PM
yeah there is nothing wrong with this, when a player draws attention to himself for something unrelated to football and or his play (cough TO cough) then they become a problem

rice wants to contribute what he knows he is capable of and the is definately more than 1 tackle a game, i really think engleberger should be 2nd string, or even 3rd, i give the man props for being good on the run but that is not what we need, we need a physical defensive end with good speed to contain the edges and get immediate pressure on the QB, i think Rice and wither elvis or Moss could do this more effectively than engleberger

too many time he was beat around his edge by the qb (even though he was held a good portion of the game) he needs to be able to get out of the OL grasps at some point

I think Bates just wants/wanted him to get acclaimated since he missed all of camp and preseason. Rice wasn't brought in here to be a situational player.

ChampWJ
09-19-2007, 11:05 PM
I know this probably is nothing, and I said that in my first post. However, what does it say to the rest of the team when one player chooses not to celebrate with the other 52 because he's mad about his playing time?

Watchthemiddle
09-19-2007, 11:13 PM
I know this probably is nothing, and I said that in my first post. However, what does it say to the rest of the team when one player chooses not to celebrate with the other 52 because he's mad about his playing time?

I guess I am confused as to your first post and now this post. Where in this article is he giving some bad example to the rest of the team by saying he is mad about his playing time?

Where does it specifically say he is mad about his playing time?

I think you are trying to stir up drama when its not there. Just my opinion.

:coffee:

ChampWJ
09-20-2007, 12:57 AM
I guess I am confused as to your first post and now this post. Where in this article is he giving some bad example to the rest of the team by saying he is mad about his playing time?

Where does it specifically say he is mad about his playing time?

I think you are trying to stir up drama when its not there. Just my opinion.

:coffee:

You mean other than the part where he said the unbelievably exciting win wasn't that exciting because he didn't play that much? That seems like someone voicing a concern over playing time to me.

Also, I think it does set a bad example for players on the team when someone complains about playing time. I feel that is undermining the coaching staff, and saying that one player is bigger than the team.

I don't want you to interpret this as me knocking Rice. I really like what he brings to our :defense: and I hope he does get much more playing time. Still, leaving the stadium when your team is celebrating is just a bit of a red flag for me concerning a players' attitude.

BroncoAV06
09-20-2007, 12:42 PM
"It wasn't too exciting," he said. "I didn't play that much, you know what I mean?"

I don't think he is trying to stir up any drama. Rice wants to play, and is upset he did not see the field more. Frustrated after a game, I do think it is to early to look into these comments as something serious. Season is only 2 weeks old and RIce has only been here 2 weeks.

Krugan
09-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Now lets say this was a middle of the road player, who had been around for a couple years, and was saying the same thing. Would you all be saying its nothing?

This is a team game, and is bigger than one idividual. Home opener with your NEW team. Even if he was washing jocks with a his head, he should be excited to be here, and to have gotten the win.

I dont like it, week 2 and distancing himself from the team due to playing time. What happens when its week 8 and he isnt getting the time he thinks he needs?

Just smells wrong to me.

Retired_Member_001
09-20-2007, 02:47 PM
You mean other than the part where he said the unbelievably exciting win wasn't that exciting because he didn't play that much? That seems like someone voicing a concern over playing time to me.

Also, I think it does set a bad example for players on the team when someone complains about playing time. I feel that is undermining the coaching staff, and saying that one player is bigger than the team.

I don't want you to interpret this as me knocking Rice. I really like what he brings to our :defense: and I hope he does get much more playing time. Still, leaving the stadium when your team is celebrating is just a bit of a red flag for me concerning a players' attitude.

I will admit that Rice's attitude isn't perfect, he should have stayed around. On the other hand he is still new to the team and he is in a completely new location to him. He hardly played, he just wanted to prepare for the next game.

We all must know by now Simeon is only here to try and get one last shot at sucess, he is an older guy and we should KNOW by now he isn't here long term.

Astrass
09-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Maybe the coaches are trying to keep him fresh and want him to learn the system more. Would be nice to have him fresh later in the season.

BroncoWave
09-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Now lets say this was a middle of the road player, who had been around for a couple years, and was saying the same thing. Would you all be saying its nothing?

This is a team game, and is bigger than one idividual. Home opener with your NEW team. Even if he was washing jocks with a his head, he should be excited to be here, and to have gotten the win.

I dont like it, week 2 and distancing himself from the team due to playing time. What happens when its week 8 and he isnt getting the time he thinks he needs?

Just smells wrong to me.

Distraction is probably the most overused word in sports. By far. His comments won't distract anyone, even himself. I mean seriously, when they step on the field on Sunday do you really think anyone is going to care what Simeon Rice said? The answer is no. If anything, his lack of PT will make him work harder.

Krugan
09-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Thats not the point.

Is he or isnt he a part of a TEAM?

SAhould he not be exciteted about winning, regardless of what his opinion of his playing time is?

Its BS, is what it is. Suck it up and say the right thing. Something along the lines of "Yea its great to get the win, my role was pretty limited, but am glad WE came away with a W."

Thats a team guy.

I didnt mention distraction, but distancing himself. He didnt celebrate with the other 50+ guys.

BroncoWave
09-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Thats not the point.

Is he or isnt he a part of a TEAM?

SAhould he not be exciteted about winning, regardless of what his opinion of his playing time is?

Its BS, is what it is. Suck it up and say the right thing. Something along the lines of "Yea its great to get the win, my role was pretty limited, but am glad WE came away with a W."

Thats a team guy.

I didnt mention distraction, but distancing himself. He didnt celebrate with the other 50+ guys.

I would be willing to be he wasn't the only person not celebrating due to a lack of PT. He was just the only one with the balls to mention it. I really think you're just making a mountain out of a molehill.

Krugan
09-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Our you are underestimating what could become if the siuation doesnt change.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

TXBRONC
09-20-2007, 10:07 PM
I would be willing to be he wasn't the only person not celebrating due to a lack of PT. He was just the only one with the balls to mention it. I really think you're just making a mountain out of a molehill.

I don't see it as him having the balls to speak up, it more like pouting. Maybe the coaches don't think he's quite ready to be out there full time. He should suck it up and deal with it.