PDA

View Full Version : Terrence Wheatley > Nate Jones

Buff
11-06-2010, 07:49 PM
The Patriots waived CB Terrence Wheatley today to make room for Logan Mankins. Wheatley is a CU Buff grad that went in the 2nd round in 2008. He battled injuries the entire time in New England and could never quite get his career off the ground...

He was a stud his whole career at CU - I remember one game at Texas Tech he intercepted 3 balls while covering Michael Crabtree. Plus the dude has wheels, he was a track star in HS. He's a really smart player, can tackle, and was a captain in college - so he fits the McD mold.

McDaniels has never seen a former Patriot he didn't like... But in this case I think it'd be a low risk/high reward pickup.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/04/28/1209387213_8619.jpg

Terrence Wheatley, DB
Second round 5-9 1/2, 187 lbs., 4.37 40

Received plenty of big-game experience playing in the Big 12 and held his own against several receivers who have moved on to the NFL... All-Big 12 second team as a senior, and was on the Jim Thorpe Award watch list... Has had three surgeries on his right wrist, which has limited flexibility as a result... Former track star holds records at his high school in Texas for 100 meters, triple jump, and long jump...Vulnerable when tackling in the open field, and is usually smaller than the ball carrier...Excels in man-to-man coverage... Lauded for ability to transition out of backpedal... Quick feet and good hands (14 career interceptions, team-leading five as a junior and senior).

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/gallery/04_28_08_pats_draft_picks?pg=2

EMB6903
11-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Always was a fan of Wheatley.. I Think hes a better prospect then both Smith and Brown.

Rather have Sydquan get more burn over Jones then to sign Wheatley though.

Buff
11-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Jones is dead weight as far as I'm concerned. The coaches like his versatility - but from what I've gathered he just has the ability to play a couple of positions poorly. Promote Syd and give Jones' roster spot to T-Wheat.

jhildebrand
11-06-2010, 08:14 PM
I said I don't want anymore NE castoffs. I will now revise that.

I would love me some Wheatley. That kid will be good.

Bosco
11-06-2010, 08:45 PM
I doubt he'll clear waivers, but if we do get a shot at him I hope Josh and company consider it.

I would love me some Wheatley. That kid will be good.

I bet Ed Donatell could turn him into a pretty serviceable corner. :D

jhildebrand
11-06-2010, 08:51 PM
I doubt he'll clear waivers, but if we do get a shot at him I hope Josh and company consider it.

I bet Ed Donatell could turn him into a pretty serviceable corner. :D

Buffalo Bills
Dallas Cowboys
Carolina Panthers
San Francisco 49ers

Those are the teams ahead of us on the waiver wire. Do you see one of them going after T Wheat? I don't.

I do know McD would love to return the favor to Belichick for snatching up Barrett :D

I am one of the people ok with getting something for Champ now. I would love a future secondary of: Cox, Wheatley, and Syd

Bosco
11-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Buffalo Bills
Dallas Cowboys
Carolina Panthers
San Francisco 49ers

Those are the teams ahead of us on the waiver wire. Do you see one of them going after T Wheat? I don't.

I do know McD would love to return the favor to Belichick for snatching up Barrett :D

I am one of the people ok with getting something for Champ now. I would love a future secondary of: Cox, Wheatley, and Syd

Guess we have a better shot at him than I thought, and yes I'd like to get them back for snatching Barrett.

Buff
11-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Even if we don't think he can help us this year, we ought to claim him and put him on IR... (A la Barrett)

Closing the book on Wheatley
November, 6, 2010
By Mike Reiss

CLEVELAND -- Cornerback Terrence Wheatley's time with the Patriots came to an end Saturday when he was waived by the team. While it's possible he could return on the practice squad if he clears waivers, at this time, Wheatley's two-plus years in New England can probably best be summed up this way: Promise overshadowed by injuries.

Wheatley was a late second-round draft choice in 2008, the 62nd overall pick. He appeared to be coming on during his rookie season, drawing his first career start at Indianapolis on Nov. 2.

Watching Wheatley cover Marvin Harrison in the early stages of that game -- when he was credited with two passes defended -- it certainly looked like the future was bright.

But Wheatley injured his wrist later in the game, which ended his season. All the momentum he had built to that point was abruptly halted.

It turned out to be a preview of what was to come.

Wheatley then injured his knee in the 2009 preseason, although he tried to play through it. Then this preseason, when he appeared to be rising in the eyes of the coaching staff, he hurt his foot in the team's third preseason game.

Wheatley seemed to realize what this year was all about for him.

"I think the one thing that has my attention now is that the time is now," Wheatley said in an ESPNBoston.com story earlier this year. "You can't have any more 'free' years. If you got it, you got it. If you don't, you don't. That lights a fire under me, and you have to go out there and show what you can do."

But as had been the case in his first two years, just getting out there proved to be a big challenge for the likeable Wheatley.

Once he did, the Patriots had a well-established top of the cornerback depth chart with Devin McCourty, Kyle Arrington, Darius Butler and Jonathan Wilhite.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4686896/closing-the-book-on-wheatley

Northman
11-06-2010, 09:11 PM
McD would never pick him up.

LordTrychon
11-06-2010, 10:30 PM
I can't see us picking up Patriot castoffs.... lol.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
11-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Sounds great I would love it but I agree with the past few posts... it won't happen sorry :(

Lonestar
11-07-2010, 06:22 PM
The Patriots waived CB Terrence Wheatley today to make room for Logan Mankins. Wheatley is a CU Buff grad that went in the 2nd round in 2008. He battled injuries the entire time in New England and could never quite get his career off the ground...

He was a stud his whole career at CU - I remember one game at Texas Tech he intercepted 3 balls while covering Michael Crabtree. Plus the dude has wheels, he was a track star in HS. He's a really smart player, can tackle, and was a captain in college - so he fits the McD mold.

McDaniels has never seen a former Patriot he didn't like... But in this case I think it'd be a low risk/high reward pickup.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/04/28/1209387213_8619.jpg

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/gallery/04_28_08_pats_draft_picks?pg=2

gee we just got rid of another midget CB who BTW is tearing it up in DET, and you want another one?

I Eat Staples
11-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Alphonso Smith > Nate Jones.

Buff
11-07-2010, 08:04 PM
gee we just got rid of another midget CB who BTW is tearing it up in DET, and you want another one?

Maybe he can excel in a new environment, kind of like Phonz. The injuries worry me a bit, but the guy can play when he's healthy. There are some good short/fast corners in this league... Asante Samuel comes to mind.

Slick
11-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Let's sign Ben Kelly too.

Dirk
11-08-2010, 08:31 AM
After watching Goodman get burned and always 2 to 3 strides behind in the last game, I'm open to anything at this point.

Bosco
11-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Let's sign Ben Kelly too.

We did, in the 2002 preseason I think. :D

Buff
11-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Bummer:

Cornerback Terrence Wheatley, who was waived on Saturday, was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars. The 2008 second-rounder was inactive for six games this season, and started just one game in his Patriots career.