PDA

View Full Version : Pat Bowlen no longer Broncos' major decision maker amid "memory loss" questions

PAINTERDAVE
11-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Pat Bowlen no longer Broncos' major decision maker amid "memory loss" questions
By Alan Prendergast, Fri., Nov. 5 2010 @ 9:15AM

​For months commentators have been engaged in a coded whisper campaign about Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen's health and diminished role in the organization. As the 2-6 team staggers into a bye week amid raging concerns about its leadership, talk about Bowlen's admitted "short-term memory loss problems" and low profile has intensified, even as club officials insist that everything's fine. Nonetheless, knowledgeable sources tell Westword Bowlen is no longer the team's major decision maker on key subjects.

The rumor mill started grinding in earnest last year, after Bowlen informed Denver Post columnist Woody Paige that his memory isn't what it used to be and that he was even having trouble recalling details of the Broncos' championship seasons in the late 1990s. Never the most accessible of NFL owners, Bowlen has granted few audiences to journalists since that exchange; his last interview was more than nine months ago.

The revelation prompted other writers less obeisant than Paige to ask whether the memory problems had played a part in the acrimonious Jay Cutler trade. Cutler insisted he'd responded to Bowlen's efforts to contact him during the tense standoff; Bowlen recalled no such thing. On his ESPN blog, Rick Reilly wondered whether the owner's slippery recall "and other curious goings-on" in Bronco management would cost the team for years to come.

A little forgetfulness is part of the aging process, of course, but even Paige has intimated that it may be something more serious. After the Broncos' collapse in London last week, his column on the debacle fueled more online chatter about the boss by hinting at the degree to which the organization has closed ranks around him: "Bowlen stood quietly on the sideline at the end of the loss Sunday night and did not talk to the media afterward. He has medical issues, and is maintaining a much lower profile (read: no profile at all) this season."

That's not quite accurate, according to team spokesman Patrick Smyth. "Mr. Bowlen is heavily involved in all matters of the organization and remains a key figure on several NFL committees," Smyth wrote in an e-mail to Westword. "He does, however, maintain a less visible role with regard to interviews and media appearances."

But Bowlen's involvement in the team's current woes may be much more limited than most fans suspect. According to two sources knowledgeable about front-office operations, Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis, who was deeply enmeshed in the firing of head coach Mike Shanahan and the hiring of Josh McDaniels, is now the team's major decision maker on most, if not all, key financial and management questions.

Ellis puts an upbeat spin on Bowlen's vanishing act in an interview with Mike Klis in today's Post, insisting that Bowlen is "doing well," is still active in day-to-day operations and "speaks to the coach every day." There's clearly a concerted effort to present the transition of power as Bowlen's call: "He's elected at this point in his life to step back and not be in the spotlight as much as he was," Ellis tells Klis. But all these assurances by the new voice of management only raise more questions about why the owner isn't speaking for himself.

Since buying the team from Edgar Kaiser and other interests in 1984, Bowlen has been a driving force in shaping the Broncos into one of the most-prized (and most-scrutinized) franchises in the NFL. Even if he chose to go public with what Paige cryptically refers to as his "medical issues," it's doubtful that such a move would put the speculation to rest.

Yet it seems particularly unfortunate that, at a time when the Broncos seem to hitting depths of disarray they haven't seen for years, the man who steered them through so many good and great moments is -- for whatever reason -- silent and sidelined.

Ravage!!!
11-05-2010, 06:37 PM
I have an article at home where the writer talks about how people in Bowlens office said that Bowlen had talked with Cutler more than once during that whole ordeal. It was brushed under the rug, because people on the board didn't want to hear it, and didn't want to believe it. But it seems, that writer had something afterall.

I hope things work out for Bowlen.

Jake Klug
11-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Someone had to say it.

Lancane
11-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Well if Joe Ellis is now the major decision maker, even above John (Bowlen) and the others on the Board of Directors, then we're in deeper shit then I had previously thought.

:tsk:

But I hope Pat gets better, he's been such a huge part to the city's growth and to the state in so many ways, it's sad he may not be able to continue as he once had.

Dzone
11-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Yet it seems particularly unfortunate that, at a time when the Broncos seem to hitting depths of disarray they haven't seen for years, the man who steered them through so many good and great moments is -- for whatever reason -- silent and sidelined.
OMG...this is scary...this is serious...

BigDaddyBronco
11-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Well it's better than Bowlen being a drunk.

PAINTERDAVE
11-05-2010, 07:39 PM
It sure points to McD staying put right where he is... in the foreseeable future.

Nomad
11-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Well it's better than Bowlen being a drunk.

It's the prolonged alcohol abuse that probably causes the memory loss!!

BigDaddyBronco
11-05-2010, 09:18 PM
It's the prolonged alcohol abuse that probably causes the memory loss!!

Could be, or he started getting alzheimers years ago. Everyone I know who has met him says he seemed drunk or out of it.

CrazyHorse
11-05-2010, 10:00 PM
And we all thought Al Davis was senile.

Ravage!!!
11-05-2010, 10:19 PM
And we all thought Al Davis was senile.

he is

robert ethan
11-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Bowlen is entering his "Al Davis Golden Years" is all. He should be good for another two decades of lunatic decisions.

silkamilkamonico
11-05-2010, 10:49 PM
I have a feeling this is just the beginning to a coaching carousal and dismal losing seasons.

Brace yourselves Bronco fans!

Shazam!
11-05-2010, 10:50 PM
If it is even similar to as stated then John Elway MUST be brought in as a major player (pardon the pun) in how the Denver Broncos operate.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
11-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Honestly I read this and a part of me started to cry... I don't know what it's like to forget things like that, and have things go. I have however watched my grandfathers memory decline like this, and to see how his whole attitude changed once diagnosed with Alzheimer's. It's scary, and I can't imagine what losing your mind is like. My neighbor has no short term memory. For anyone to blame Pat Bowlen for anything, given this to be true.... hell go be a fan of another team, because you're a f'ing horrible person. God bless Pat and his family.

scott.475
11-05-2010, 11:33 PM
This is where it sucks that his family doesn't want to be involved with the organization. It would be nice to know that someone had Pat's, and therefore the team's, best interests as a motivating factor. I fear Ellis is more about himself and working his way into a stronger position, like a defacto owner, so to speak. It would be great if John wanted to step, but what if Pat didn't give him full support? Just saying that if Joe has Pat's ear every day, things may be getting done how Joe wants it, not how Pat wants it. I think John has established himself well enough that he doesn't need to pump himself up anymore, and that he really would have the team's and Pat's best interests at heart.

Total speculation, but still, makes me worried.

Krugan
11-05-2010, 11:44 PM
All hail the 2012 LA Broncos :/

Wrong timing?

Lonestar
11-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Wow more fodder for those to chew on.

If at all true Pat passed the torch to someone he trusts and will do what Pats want's to be done.

Not sure what is to be worried about.

It is not like he has been making heavy duty day to day decisions the past decade or more anyway.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lancane
11-05-2010, 11:50 PM
This is where it sucks that his family doesn't want to be involved with the organization. It would be nice to know that someone had Pat's, and therefore the team's, best interests as a motivating factor. I fear Ellis is more about himself and working his way into a stronger position, like a defacto owner, so to speak. It would be great if John wanted to step, but what if Pat didn't give him full support? Just saying that if Joe has Pat's ear every day, things may be getting done how Joe wants it, not how Pat wants it. I think John has established himself well enough that he doesn't need to pump himself up anymore, and that he really would have the team's and Pat's best interests at heart.

Total speculation, but still, makes me worried.

John (Elway) has the support of the city and the fans, he's talked about being part owner of a new franchise in L.A. or in the surrounding counties of the city. I'm sure given the option, he would buy part of the team, he was set to buy 10% of the team in 2004, which set of a dispute with former owner Edgar Kaiser, it went to court and they lost, appealed and then won, however I am unsure if the purchase went forth or not. However, I think Bowlen is getting to the point that he needs to re-evaluate that option, the other thing is that Pat is only the majority owner, his siblings all own a piece of the organization as well, including John who sits on the board of directors. Elway would likely need a majority share to actually run the organization, I'm sure he can afford it, after all he sold his car dealerships in Denver for over 87.5 million...

Shazam!
11-05-2010, 11:50 PM
John Elway. If he even held 10% of the franchise, with some lucidity PB would give him near total control.

Elway loves the spotlight and this would be perfect for him. A great fit for the all-tiime greatest, beloved, most know Bronco.

Lancane
11-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Wow more fodder for those to chew on.

If at all true Pat passed the torch to someone he trusts and will do what Pats want's to be done.

Yes...because people of trust never have a tendency to further their own self-interests above that of a single person who has put faith in them, the idea is just ludicrous! And let's not forget that Ellis started off as the teams Director of Marketing, was in charge of the teams finances then left the organization to work for the league itself where he was the Vice President of Club Administration and Stadium Management...returned and was named the Executive Vice President of Business Operations and just recently given the job of Chief Operating Officer of the Denver Broncos. I mean obviously someone who knows about finance and marketing, office administration and stadium management knows how to run a team...right? We shouldn't question it from our standpoint, obviously this is not like when Regan and Republican party appointed Bank Agents and Owners to White House staff or anything...lol.

Not sure what is to be worried about.

Read above...carefully! I think we have a lot to be worried about as fans, because if Bowlen is having some sort of memory loss issues then Ellis is running the team on his behalf and maybe not to the specified way Bowlen wanted...

It is not like he has been making heavy duty day to day decisions the past decade or more anyway.

That's your opinion, but he's been noted as one of the more public, hands on owners of the league...I tend to agree with that. Bowlen showed up to games talked about the team with local media a lot more before he hired McDaniels, he really pulled away once the media began calling him senile and whatnot.

PAINTERDAVE
11-06-2010, 01:02 AM
John Elway. If he even held 10% of the franchise, with some lucidity PB would give him near total control.

Elway loves the spotlight and this would be perfect for him. A great fit for the all-tiime greatest, beloved, most know Bronco.

Elway just lost MILLIONS in a ponzi scheme... he was the victim. Not sure if he could afford to step up to the plate. I mean I have no idea... but I do know he just lost a TON of cash.

silkamilkamonico
11-06-2010, 02:43 AM
All hail the 2012 LA Broncos :/

Wrong timing?

No. People need to start warming up to that, because this organization is going nowhere but down the drain....fast.

The better question is, how many people here will continue to support the "LA" Broncos?

Lancane
11-06-2010, 03:35 AM
No. People need to start warming up to that, because this organization is going nowhere but down the drain....fast.

The better question is, how many people here will continue to support the "LA" Broncos?

That's not likely to happen, the Vikings and the Jaguars are both more likely to be the next franchises moved, followed by the Bills or Bengals. And if it did Silk, it wouldn't last long. Denver as a sports venue is too favorable with the years of sellouts and concessions awaiting a new team...the NFL would likely get a current franchise to move here or start an expansion team here right away.

Lonestar
11-06-2010, 06:21 AM
First Broncos are not going anywhere not happening.

Second if it would be sold and could get out of the invesco lease the name Broncos would not go with it.

Unless Bowlen dies he will keep the team here. Since he trusts Joe it is more and more likely that everything remains statusquo. Since the relatives do/are not interested in day to day operations I see no reason for changes.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Nomad
11-06-2010, 07:23 AM

Speaking for myself, I would be done with the NFL!! I have mentioned before in the 80s I loved MLB and in the 80s/90s I loved the NBA, now I'd rather watch paint dry! I've invested 20 or so years of my life to the Denver BRONCOS and I won't quit now unless they move to a different location or unless the NFL gets so disgustingly greedy I can't bare to support them anymore!!

sneakers
11-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Hopefully he will get better, and hopefully they wont let Bill Devaroe do any decision making.

sneakers
11-06-2010, 07:24 AM

Take it back!

claymore
11-06-2010, 07:44 AM
I think if anyone bought the Broncos they would be stupid to move them. LA sounds sexy but a franchise has never been successful there IMO. (Rams, Raiders with the moves).

Broncos are continuously in the top 5 for earnings when we have a decent pruduct, or a good direction. Im sure we are in the top ten as it is, and everyone is prettyy pissed off.

claymore
11-06-2010, 07:51 AM
I think if anyone bought the Broncos they would be stupid to move them. LA sounds sexy but a franchise has never been successful there IMO. (Rams, Raiders with the moves).

Broncos are continuously in the top 5 for earnings when we have a decent pruduct, or a good direction. Im sure we are in the top ten as it is, and everyone is prettyy pissed off.

Out of curiosity I found a forbes article rating us in the top ten. Down 4 slots in 3 years.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/30/football-valuations-10_Denver-Broncos_308211.html

rcsodak
11-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Speaking for myself, I would be done with the NFL!! I have mentioned before in the 80s I loved MLB and in the 80s/90s I loved the NBA, now I'd rather watch paint dry! I've invested 20 or so years of my life to the Denver BRONCOS and I won't quit now unless they move to a different location or unless the NFL gets so disgustingly greedy I can't bare to support them anymore!!

nah.....I was a SuperSonics fan for 30+yrs......and am STILL their fan, even though they're now the OKC Thunder.

They could move the Broncos to Lincoln NE, if the losers in Denver ever quit attending. Same number of seats, and a die-hard fanbase.

Ravage!!!
11-06-2010, 10:47 AM
what is there to worry about? Ellis being the main decision in Denver.. NOT.. being something to worry about?

OrangeHoof
11-06-2010, 12:27 PM
It sounds like Ellis is running the Broncos the way Raul Castro is running Cuba.

While we all have empathy with Bowlen's health issues, it's the word "disarray" that troubles me. Successful teams have clear leadership with a clear decision-making tree and clear responsibilities for the success/failure of certain elements. What this says to me is nobody is certain who is running the show. That's not good for any organization.

Management that is in "disarray" seem to to do two things - neither good. First, they overreact to crisis. Second, they put unqualified people in key roles either because they were loyal underlings or because they sounded smart but essentially lacked the skills to do the job well.

Look familiar?

Northman
11-06-2010, 12:44 PM

Great point.

My best friend was a Houston Oiler fan for years. When the moved to Tennesse he decided to become a Packer fan.

For me, to watch my favorite team move and destroy a legacy would give me serious pause about remaining to be loyal to that team.

Lancane
11-06-2010, 12:46 PM
nah.....I was a SuperSonics fan for 30+yrs......and am STILL their fan, even though they're now the OKC Thunder.

They could move the Broncos to Lincoln NE, if the losers in Denver ever quit attending. Same number of seats, and a die-hard fanbase.

Yes, because those in Nebraska are not losers and so great...the fact that you think that an NFL organization would up and move to Lincoln Nebraska before about twenty other venues...including Canada is beyond me!

:shocked:

silkamilkamonico
11-06-2010, 12:53 PM
That's not likely to happen, the Vikings and the Jaguars are both more likely to be the next franchises moved, followed by the Bills or Bengals. And if it did Silk, it wouldn't last long. Denver as a sports venue is too favorable with the years of sellouts and concessions awaiting a new team...the NFL would likely get a current franchise to move here or start an expansion team here right away.

I thin kthat would be best case scenario.

Get rid of this losing organization. Denver currently has a total of 3 players that has seen a winning season in Denver on its entire roster.

Get rid of everybody.

BroncoStud
11-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Yeah, this is not good news.

silkamilkamonico
11-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Yeah, this is not good news.

Terrible news.

We're looking at 5+ dismal seasons and a coaching carousal. At least. Say hell to the worst organization in the 2010-2020 decade. We are the new Detroit Lions.

Dzone
11-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Im really surprised this story about Bowlen hasnt been picked up by NFL.COM or ESPN

so KC is going to the black hole this weekend and then to denver the next sunday...seems like KC will be ripe for a let down at mile high...just think how much cheerier it will be if we can beat/upset KC next weekend?...either that or its going to be a replay of last year and KC will gouge us for 400 yards on the ground...If that happens, the hemorrhaging might never stop

WARHORSE
11-10-2010, 04:05 PM
The ONLY way I would EVER stop backing the Broncos, would be if they moved to the middle east and became a muslim banked team.

And that would be because of allegiances that are stronger than even my love for the Broncos.

Outside of that, I dont care if they moved to Buttlick Indiana. Im BRONCOS, tried and true.

Its my LOYALTY I give. And thats why its called LOYALTY.

Broncos or die.

Some of you guys should become Fader fans........theyre on the upswing.:D

Northman
11-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Nah, im a fan of the DENVER BRONCOS. If they moved to another city i would be done with them.

Nomad
11-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Nah, im a fan of the DENVER BRONCOS. If they moved to another city i would be done with them.

It's something about Denver that makes the BRONCOS special!! Moving to another city wouldn't be the same! That's why I rarely get attached to players because they come and go so often!!

Northman
11-10-2010, 04:38 PM
It's something about Denver that makes the BRONCOS special!! Moving to another city wouldn't be the same! That's why I rarely get attached to players because they come and go so often!!

Yep.

My best friend grew up a Houston Oiler fan and when they moved to Tennesse he just didnt feel the connection anymore and switched to being a Packer fan. Understandable.

Nomad
11-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Yep.

My best friend grew up a Houston Oiler fan and when they moved to Tennesse he just didnt feel the connection anymore and switched to being a Packer fan. Understandable.

My dad was an Oilers fan as well since the 70s then they up and moved! He said **** it and quit watching NFL football altogether! He may watch every now and then but not often!

Cugel
11-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Well if Joe Ellis is now the major decision maker, even above John (Bowlen) and the others on the Board of Directors, then we're in deeper shit then I had previously thought.

:tsk:

But I hope Pat gets better, he's been such a huge part to the city's growth and to the state in so many ways, it's sad he may not be able to continue as he once had.

You don't "get better" from senile dementia or Alzheimers which is what would most probably cause a medical "decline in short term memory."

It's probably not Alzheimers unless it's pretty advanced, because he's having trouble remembering things like the SB years whereas Alzheimers patients normally remember the distant past -- but forget what they did last week. My mom can vividly remember the 1950s, it's the last couple of years she can't remember.

nevcraw
11-10-2010, 08:12 PM
The ONLY way I would EVER stop backing the Broncos, would be if they moved to the middle east and became a muslim banked team.

And that would be because of allegiances that are stronger than even my love for the Broncos.

Outside of that, I dont care if they moved to Buttlick Indiana. Im BRONCOS, tried and true.

Its my LOYALTY I give. And thats why its called LOYALTY.

Broncos or die.

Some of you guys should become Fader fans........theyre on the upswing.:D

you and your loyal self will look so great in your magenta and aqua LA Beavers Jersey!! :salute: