PDA

View Full Version : Broncos-Cowboys Training Camp

Italianmobstr7
08-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Cowboys at Camp: Day 1, A.M.
The ‘Boys were back in town Wednesday afternoon, and their offseason media circus came with them. There were easily double the reporters and photographers on the sidelines, many of which were from the HBO training camp documentary: Hard Knocks. Recently-retired Rod Smith even showed up to take in the action from the sidelines. Still, with all that attention focusing on the fields, the players went out and put together a productive and exciting practice.

The teams started out with their regular routines, Cowboys on one field and Broncos on the other — stretching, warming up and working on individual drills. Then the Broncos offense went to one field and the defense to the other, and the fun really started.

ATTENDANCE REPORT: Hamza Abdullah was back in pads this morning…Boss and Champ Bailey were out of pads with a right ankle and right hamstring, respectively…Louis Green was out of pads with a concussion/neck injury…Tom Nalen remained out of pads with a left knee…Erik Pears was out of pads with a sore back…Ryan Torain watched from a chair on the far sideline recovering from surgery on his left elbow.

POSTURING FOR POSITION: Niko Koutouvides took his reps with the first unit linebackers during practice, with Jamie Winborn and D.J. Williams on either side…The second unit linebackers consisted of Jordan Beck, Nate Webster and Wesley Woodyard…Abdullah, in his first day back at practice since Aug. 1, ran with the second team safeties beside Roderick Rogers.

MATCHUPS: Each field had a different set of drills, so we, the bloggers, decided to combine “Focal Points” and “Key Plays” into one category. So here is the breakdown of how each competition went down.

Broncos Offense vs. Cowboys Defense: On the field closest to the Broncos facilities, the Denver offense took on the Dallas defense. On one half of the field, the teams did run-oriented 9-on-7 drills while the other half focused on one-on-one battles between wide receivers and DBs.

- The Dallas D-linemen are some big guys. But that didn’t stop the Denver running backs from having success. Selvin Young took one outside run for a solid eight yards before being pushed out of bounds.

- Anthony Alridge had one big run to the outside where linebacker Bradie James pushed him out of bounds, and they both went tumbling to the ground. The problem? They went tumbling into a young ball boy holding the yardage markers. No worries, however, as the boy jumped up quickly with a smile on his face.

- Andre Hall in particular performed well against the Cowboys in the 9-on-7 drills. He took a number of handoffs around the right end, moving well down field before being pushed out of bounds or tackled. He also rushed up the middle a couple of times for what would have been decent gains. It seems every time he touched the ball, he would always get at least five or six yards before ever being touched.

- The Denver receivers got the best of the Dallas DBs for the most part during the one-on-ones. Jay Cutler twice hit Brandon Marshall, with cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones in coverage. One was on a comeback route where Marshall cut back and inside too quickly for Jones to adjust. The next was a high-sailing deep ball into the corner of the endzone where Marshall beat Jones and made the grab.

- Cutler also launched a bullet to Samie Parker on a quick inside route in front of rookie cornerback Orlando Scandrick. Parker made a nice adjustment and reached back to haul in the pass.

After a brief special teams period, the focus shifted to pass-oriented 7-on-7 drills, with Cutler and company coming out on top.

- Cutler-to-Marshall continued to be a deadly combination as they connected a number of times in front, over top of or past Dallas defenders. The only miscue in this matchup came when Marshall beat the double coverage of Anthony Henry and Ken Hamlin only to have Cutler overthrow him. The duo got back into rhythm on the next play though, with Marshall again beating Jones on an out route.

- Peyton Hillis continued to get into the action, snaring a couple passes out of the backfield from both Cutler and Patrick Ramsey. Ramsey connected with him on one pass to the flats, and Hillis stopped and juked both Jones and Bobby Carpenter, cutting back inside for a solid gain.

- Ramsey connected on a deep ball to Clifford Russell who made a diving catch past a couple Dallas defenders, drawing a loud “Ooooh!” from the rest of the Denver offense.

- Ramsey also hooked up with Keary Colbert in between two DBs, with Colbert acrobatically reaching up and back behind him to haul in the pass. Offensive Coordinator Rick Dennison shouted, “Nice, Keary!” a few times after the play.

Finally the 11-on-11 period came, and the entire Denver starting offense took on the Dallas starting defense.

- Earlier in the practice, the Denver offensive linemen went up against the Dallas D-line. I didn’t get a chance to get much of a look at that. So I made sure to pay attention to how the lineup of Clady, Kuper, Wiegmann, Hamilton and Harris did against the 3-4 of Dallas. Only one play resulted in a would-be sack of Cutler, and that came on a double linebacker blitz. Clady in particular did a good job of holding up against defensive end Chris Canty. He also picked up a blitz by James. Overall, the line protected Cutler well.

- Cutler continued to look sharp, hitting both Marshall and Eddie Royal several times. Cutler connected with Royal on a high outside pass in front of Jones.

- The Dallas defense never scored an interception, but they did get their hands on a few balls. Ramsey tossed one out to Tony Scheffler in the flats, but Bobby Carpenter got there first to bat it down. A few plays prior, Carpenter and DE Jason Hatcher burst through the line to take down Young in the backfield. LBs Darrell Robertson and Tyson Smith also busted up a play, this one against the second-team offensive line, stopping Michael Pittman’s run in the backfield.

Broncos Defense vs. Cowboys Offense: The first group drill with the Broncos defense was a 9 on 7 — the D-line, linebackers and two safeties against the offensive line, a quarterback and running back. The first three plays were stopped at the line of scrimmage — Jamie Winborn broke into the backfield on the first two plays and wrapped up Dallas’ Marion Barber in the backfield along with Elvis Dumervil and Marcus Thomas on the respective plays. On the third play, John Engelberger powered past his blocker and made the stop on rookie Felix Jones.

- In defensive line vs. offensive line one-on-ones, Dewayne Robertson looked to be unstoppable. Whether it was one-on-ones or two-on-twos, the 6-foot-1, 308-pound defensive tackle consistently bullied his way to the quarterback.

- During 7-on-7s, designed to give the quarterback time — there’s no defensive rush — the Broncos D managed to get a couple plays in anyway. Jack Williams smacked a quick pass to the ground, reaching around his wide receiver, and on the very next play Domonique Foxworth sprinted up to a ball and tapped the reception harmlessly to the ground. Toward the end of the drill, Dre’ Bly got his hand on a pass, tipped it around and nearly came up with the interception on the way to the ground. He got up and clapped his hands in disappointment, but the rest of the DBs cheered his effort.

- During those 7-on-7s, Terrell Owens did have a few big catches — including one double move where he stopped then sprinted toward the endzone for a long completion — and Tony Romo made smart decisions. The Cowboys looked like a confident NFC contender, and made several quick completions in front of the defense.

- 11-on-11s were the most intriguing to watch. Some even quicker hits from the full team drill: Early on, Winborn — who had a good-looking practice — almost came up with an interception in stride running toward the line but it slipped through his hands…D.J. Williams came around the line on a blitz and tackled Barber in the backfield — I say “tackled” loosely, it was a quick wrap-up to show he would have made the play. No actual tackling was allowed…Paul Carrington burst through the line for what would have been a sack on Brad Johnson…Dallas rookie tight end Martellus Bennett made a catch from Romo and turned the corner just as Marlon McCree was sprinting up for what would have been a bone-crunching hit had it been during live action.

- In his first practice as a Bronco, cornerback Tyrone Poole almost came up with an interception during 11-on-11s, but bobbled it running out of bounds.

Special Teams: In the brief special teams period, Matt Prater kicked several field goals against the Dallas defense, knocking all but one through the uprights. Brett Kern and Sam Paulescu each kicked six punts, alternating after each three. Jones, Patrick Crayton and rookie Danny Amendola took turns returning.

- Tight end and long snapper Mike Leach ran down the field after a punt and collapsed in on the Cowboys returner as the play was blown dead. Jogging back to the huddle past some of the media, he proudly reported: “I just tackled Pacman Jones right there.”

QUOTABLE: “That’s fine — we go against Champ every day.”
-Jay Cutler, responding to Adam Jones’ statement that Brandon Marshall is “nowhere near” Terrell Owens.

Italianmobstr7
08-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Sounds like Marshall is beating Pacman like a drum! That's what he gets for talking that crap!

hamrob
08-13-2008, 01:21 PM
This is from the Dallas Morning News...detailing this morning's session from the Dallas Media's perspective:

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/

August 13, 2008
Brandon Marshall is no T.O.
1:11 PM Wed, Aug 13, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips
The Broncos media were anxious to quiz the Cowboys players about the Broncos. Apparently, the Denver media has taken to calling receiver Brandon Marshall the "Baby T.O." Needless to say, Adam Jones wasn't having any of that. Here's a back and forth between Jones and a Denver TV reporter.

Q: Adam, physically can you compare Brandon Marshall to T.O.?

A: Nah, he's nowhere near T.O.

Q: Could he be at some point?

A: I don't know.

Q: Just looking at his talent level...

A: He could be a good athlete, but he isn't on T.O.'s level.

Q: Is there anybody else like T.O.?

A: I haven't seen him yet. First of all, T.O. is 10 times faster than Brandon Marshall. He's 10 times stronger than Brandon Marshall. You can sometimes get your hand on B at the line. T.O. has a good thing where he snatches and rips, so I would say he's nowhere near T.O.

Comments (0) Leave comment | E-mail entry
The entry "Brandon Marshall is no T.O." is tagged: Adam "Pacman" Jones , Brandon Marshall , Terrell Owens

Categories: Adam Jones, Terrell Owens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archer's morning practice observations
12:57 PM Wed, Aug 13, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer E-mail News tips
We broke up the morning practice between the DMN crew. Calvin watched the defense. I had the offense. Brian did what he wanted to do, I think.

Overall, the offense was just kind of OK. The Broncos defense seemed to have more energy and linebacker Jamie Winborn was annoying some of the Cowboys with his constant chatter.

OK, here goes:

** In seven-on-seven drills, Tony Romo's prettiest throw was on an out route to Miles Austin, who snatched the ball away from cornerback Domonique Foxworth. Later, however, Austin let a pass slip through his arms.

** In team drills, Romo's pretties throw was a make-it-up-as-they-go deep ball to Terrell Owens on Foxworth after Foxworth sat on an out route.

** The aforementioned Winborn was called for a holding penalty on Jason Witten, prompting the Pro Bowl tight end to scream, "Get him off me." Later Winborn had some sort of "popcorn" comment for Terrell Owens. Might need to watch that in the afternoon.

» Continue reading: Archer's morning practice observations

The entry "Archer's morning practice observations" has no entry tags.

Categories: Training camp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Delayed in Denver I: Cutler's no slouch
12:38 PM Wed, Aug 13, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips
We arrived at the Broncos practice facility around 8:30ish (thank you, Garmin). They were letting media and some VIPs out on to the practice facility The weather was very nice, temperatures in the mid 80s.

9 a.m.: The Cowboys and the Broncos were both stretching. The Cowboys were on the west field while the home team took the east. Offensive coordinator Jason Garrett walked through the Cowboys' stretch and yelled, "How 'bout a little enthusiasm!"

Yes, how about it.

» Continue reading: Delayed in Denver I: Cutler's no slouch

Comments (9) Leave comment | E-mail entry
The entry "Delayed in Denver I: Cutler's no slouch" has no entry tags.

Practice Report
12:37 PM Wed, Aug 13, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips
About to get some lunch here at the hotel but first let's give you a practice report.

1. Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler was confusing some of the Cowboys' secondary players with some shoulder fakes during 11-on-11. Adam Jones bit on one fake on a completion.

2. Anthony Spencer, Terence Newman and Marcus Dixon missed practice due to injury. Wade Phillips thought Spencer could return soon. Newman said he's begging to return to the field, but the team won't let him until he's 100 percent.

3. Tank Johnson was getting first-team reps at nose tackle. Marcus Spears was getting second-team reps at nose tackle. Jay Ratliff was first-team defensive end.

4. Adam Jones, Patrick Crayton and Danny Amendola took back punts. Amendola fumbled a long one. Jones looked pretty good moving against defenders.

5. Terrell Owens was getting behind the defense during 11-on-11.

» Continue reading: Practice Report

hamrob
08-13-2008, 01:57 PM
I was glad to read that Hillis is back in the fold and seems to be producing! That's great news!

hamrob
08-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Here's some more from the Dallas morning news where Shanny discusses the morning session:

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/

August 13, 2008
Denver Broncos' scouting report
1:38 PM Wed, Aug 13, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
We did this before training camp on the Cowboys' regular-season opponents and figured we'd give a little heads up on Denver. Who better to turn to than Jeff Legwold of the Rocky Mountain News.

Biggest question in camp - Defensive line. How are they going to put it all together? They've got some holdovers from last year and DeWayne Robertson was the biggest off-season acquisition. Shanahan said in March he failed a physical, and he's still coming back from knee and wrist surgery. A lot of their ends are situational guys. They don't have one big, dominant guy.

Best pickup of off-season - Right now you'd say the top two draft picks, left tackle Ryan Clady and receiver Eddie Royal. They're going to play right now. [Clady] is really quick so he fits what they do. He just happens to be humongous.

Under the radar guy - Anybody who runs the ball for them, like every year. Right now the top three guys in the backfield are undrafted players. Selvin Young, Andre Hall and the rookie Anthony Alridge (via Denton). Ryan Torain was probably going to be the starter, but he broke his elbow last week.

In case you were wondering - They like Alridge a lot, according to Jeff. He's doing great as a third-down back. He's showing a lot of speed in practice and played well in Houston. He's got a shot.

Prediction - I think for our tab I said 9-7. Anything around 8-8, 9-7. Even if they don't have a lot of injuries, they're going to need some good luck. Their schedule isn't brutal, so they could get in the mix, but they're going to need a lot of good luck.

You can read more on the Broncos from Jeff here.

The entry "Denver Broncos' scouting report" has no entry tags.

Categories: Opponents

Jones writes a letter
1:29 PM Wed, Aug 13, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips
Adam Jones said he wrote a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell last night asking for full reinstatement to the league. Jones said he plans on mailing the letter to New York on Thursday.
The NFL has told Jones he will receive a ruling on his status prior to the start of the season.
"I'm feeling real good," Jones said of the letter. "I just sent in my letter to the commissioner and I'm feeling pretty good about it. It's just a letter why I feel I should be reinstated. It's my chance to respond and we'll see how it goes."

Comments (2) Leave comment | E-mail entry
The entry "Jones writes a letter" is tagged: Adam Jones , Roger Goodell

Categories: Dallas Cowboys

Thoughts from Mike Shanahan
1:25 PM Wed, Aug 13, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Here's a practice transcript from the Broncos coach:

On the morning practice with the Cowboys

"I thought we got some great work in today. I thought both sides were very professional in their approach. We have a little different schemes on both sides of the ball, and it was good work for Dallas and obviously the Broncos. We have a practice this afternoon, and I'm looking forward to that.

"They have a different type of offense and a different type of defense. We get a chance to work against a 3-4 look, and they get a chance to take a look at a four-man front. I thought it was good for both teams. It was a very healthy practice and there was some good, fresh hitting. You go against somebody where you don't know their tendencies, so everybody plays a little bit more honest and it's a good evaluation process for us."

On what he is looking for in terms of improvement

"What you want to do--when you're taking a look at your OTAs, when you're taking a look at your summer camp--you want to find your best 53 guys that can play. You want to get better as a scheme offensively, defensively and special teams. This is a little bit different here. Normally that third week of practice you get tired of hitting against each other. This is a good changeup for both teams where you get a chance to go against different schemes and different people. I thought it was good for both squads."

On the timing of practicing against the Cowboys

"Normally the first couple of weeks (of training camp) you want to install your offense and defense. To go against a team too early would kind of take away what you are trying to put in as your basic fundamentals to installing your offense, defense and special teams. Usually it's better (before your second preseason game) because you have all of that installation in, you have a preseason (game) under your belt, you know who you want to evaluate and you get a chance to do it against different people."

On why he wanted to practice with the Cowboys

"You change it up. We went there last year. Obviously they are playing at our facility, so they are going to come here. We will probably do the same thing next year if we play the Cowboys in preseason."

» Continue reading: Thoughts from Mike Shanahan

silkamilkamonico
08-13-2008, 02:19 PM
I have just seen a first.

The word "pretty" being used to describe an action from a football player.

And not once, but twice......

silkamilkamonico
08-13-2008, 02:23 PM
- Earlier in the practice, the Denver offensive linemen went up against the Dallas D-line. I didn’t get a chance to get much of a look at that.

Dallas media made a comment that everyone single one of the Dallas defenders got the better of Denver's oline in the one on one blocking drills. And it wasn't close.

It's not a comforting thought by any means, but keep in mind that matching up Denver's oline unit against a 3-4 unit individually, that should happen.

I will be a little concerned if they are getting pushed around as a unit during the game though.

topscribe
08-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Sounds like Marshall is beating Pacman like a drum! That's what he gets for talking that crap!

Simple. Jones is a punk. ;)

But thanks for the great report. :beer:

-----

hamrob
08-13-2008, 02:30 PM
http://web1.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/08%20Blogs/marshall_KS_080813.jpg

Zweems56
08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Dallas media made a comment that everyone single one of the Dallas defenders got the better of Denver's oline in the one on one blocking drills. And it wasn't close.

It's not a comforting thought by any means, but keep in mind that matching up Denver's oline unit against a 3-4 unit individually, that should happen.

I will be a little concerned if they are getting pushed around as a unit during the game though.

Denver media said that we gave up one potential sack.

Take local media with a grain of salt. I'll take Khan's report where he said we were losing o-line drills, but we stood up in the 11 on 11.

topscribe
08-13-2008, 02:35 PM
http://web1.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/08%20Blogs/marshall_KS_080813.jpg

Wow, you could drive a truck through that space . . .

-----

honz
08-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Wait, so does this mean that the Broncos will get some run on Hard Knocks, or do you think they will just refer to as the team in orange and blue jerseys as they continue to get on their knees for Jerry Jones?

dogfish
08-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Andre Hall in particular performed well against the Cowboys in the 9-on-7 drills. He took a number of handoffs around the right end, moving well down field before being pushed out of bounds or tackled. He also rushed up the middle a couple of times for what would have been decent gains. It seems every time he touched the ball, he would always get at least five or six yards before ever being touched.

yeeeeaaa, boy!

jrelway
08-13-2008, 04:15 PM

this is why pacman was talking some smack. sour grapes.

hamrob
08-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Here's a short video from the NFL network on the Broncos/Cowboys:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d809fc171

hamrob
08-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Here is this afternoon's rundown from Broncos.com:

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/2008/08/13/cowboys-at-camp-day-1-pm/

gobroncsnv
08-13-2008, 09:01 PM
-Jay Cutler, responding to Adam Jones’ statement that Brandon Marshall is “nowhere near” Terrell Owens.

I think I have a new sig now... :cool:

BeefStew25
08-13-2008, 09:03 PM

I think I have a new sig now... :cool:

Too late.

LRtagger
08-14-2008, 09:43 AM

Since TO is 10x faster than BM, does that mean TO would have beat Jones by 30-40 yards on that play? I guess that means Jones must REALLY suck. :coffee:

pnbronco
08-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Here's a short video from the NFL network on the Broncos/Cowboys:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d809fc171

HR thank you for posting that. I really did enjoy watching it. The do look like they are practicing hard against each other. Thank you for taking the time.

hamrob
08-14-2008, 01:05 PM
here's the latest on this morning's practice:

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/2008/08/14/cowboys-at-camp-day-2-am/

« PMCowboys at Camp: Day 2, AM
The competitive juices were flowing as Broncos and Cowboys hit the practice field together for the second straight day on Thursday. Hard hits and big plays were abound and a skirmish between the two squads showed that neither team is taking their time out on the field together lightly.

ATTENDANCE REPORT: Boss and Champ Bailey remained out of pads with their respective injuries, Boss nursing a sprained right ankle and Champ as sore right hamstring…Louis Green remained on the sidelines with a concussion/neck injury…Tom Nalen watched practices still resting his left knee…Erik Pears was out of pads with a sore back…Ryan Torain continues to recover from surgery on his left elbow.

POSTURING FOR POSITION: Niko Koutouvides continuted to take reps at middle linebacker with first team. Jamie Winborn continued to fill in for Boss Bailey at first unit strong side linebacker. Marquand Manuel continued taking first unit snaps at safety with Hamza Abdullah getting reps with the second team. After getting the afternoon off yesterday, Casey Wiegmann was back as the first unit center.

MATCHUPS: Here is the breakdown of how each competition went down.

Broncos’ Offense vs. Cowboy’s Defense: Brandon Marshall got the offense started early. Donning a new piece of tape on the bottom of his shoulder pads that read, “Adam’s No Pacman” using the familiar video game logo, he lined up in one-on-ones against Adam Jones and beat him deep on a stop-and-go route.

Marshall held the ball over his head in triumph and jogged back down the field beside Jones, who said, “That one doesn’t count. I could’ve gotten that one.”

- It wasn’t a practice to remember for Jones, who was consistently beat during one-on-ones, including a quick slant route to the inside by Taylor Jacobs that left Jones on his hands and knees in the grass. He said it just reinforces for him the importance of a pass rush.

“I don’t think nobody in this league that plays corner is going to say that a pass rush doesn’t help,” he said after practice. “When you’re back there and the quarterback can sit on the ball for six seconds, it just makes it a whole lot easier.”

- Andre Hall had a solid run to the left sideline during 9-on-7 run-oriented drills that had the Cowboys coaches fired up at their players.

- The Cowboys defensive line had its fair share of blow-bys on the Broncos linemen during one-on-ones. But the Broncos had their fair share of retaliation, as well. At one point Ryan Clady pushed a charging Tearrius George to the ground, and Mitch Erickson’s blocking got him a pat on the helmet from Tom Nalen, who was acting as the quarterback in the drill. The Broncos are a zone blocking team, however, so the best barometer of how the line will perform against a defense is during team drills.

- After being relatively picked apart during yesterday afternoon’s 11-on-11 drills, the Cowboys defense looked like it came out with something to prove. Dallas didn’t give much leeway at all during 7-on-7s, breaking up several passes, and for the first good chunk of the team drills the ‘Boys were constantly pressuring Cutler, grabbed what looked like a couple of sacks and Chris Canty even knocked down a ball at the line. DeMarcus Ware looked especially dangerous.

- The Broncos got it back under control and ended up making some solid plays during the team drill. The line held firm after its early struggles and the first play that got Denver out of a rut was a play action pass to Selvin Young. Peyton Hillis lined up out wide, went in motion back behind Cutler and they faked a run up the middle. Cutler faded back to avoid a defender and lobbed the ball over the line to Young for a first down.

- Daniel Graham leaped up to grab a pass over Zach Thomas near the goal line, prompting a disappointed clap from Thomas.

- Marshall took a quick pass in the middle of the field from Cutler and ducked his way past a few defenders before forcing his way into the endzone.

- Brandon Stokley was the most consistent offensive player all day — he caught several passes from Cutler and Patrick Ramsey throughout the morning practice, including a catch and dive to the right front pylon for a TD during team drills and a catch in the middle of traffic in the back of the endzone during 7-on-7s.

- Anthony Alridge had almost an exact copy of a run he had yesterday afternoon. Alridge took the handoff and started left before cutting back right and beating the Cowboys defense to the corner, sprinting for a touchdown.

- Eddie Royal caught a bullet from Cutler close to the ground. He got his hands under the ball as he fell in the front right corner of the endzone in front of Dallas’ Orlando Scandrick. In a game it might have been reviewable, but from my angle it looked like Royal would be the victor on that one.

Special Teams: Matt Prater again kicked some field goals with the Cowboys defense on the field. From my count he was six for eight from 33 to 38 yards — it’s not official since the refs didn’t always signal whether it was good, and no one is allowed in the area behind the endzone so the angle’s tough to gauge. He did have the distance to get several kicks into the player parking lot, hitting a few roofs and even setting off a car alarm halfway through the drill.

- The Cowboys returned punts during the morning session, and the blockers on their return team were pretty impressive. At one point Roderick Rogers didn’t even get past the line of scrimmage while his two blockers kept him back. For the record, Rogers did end up making a great run at the returner later in the drill, garnering praise from Assistant Defensive Backs Coach Ronnie Bradford.

Broncos Defense vs. Cowboys Offense: The squads began practice with 9-on-7 drills. After a few impressive runs by Cowboys backs Marion Barber and Felix Jones the Broncos defense dialed it in. Linebacker Jordan Beck and defensive end Paul Carrington each were able to stuff the run at the line of scrimmage. Elvis Dumervil sniffed out a Barber run to the outside and stopped it for a short for a Cowboys loss just behind the line of scrimmage.

-During 7-on-7 drills D.J. Williams sniffed out a play, and if practice was full contact he would have tackled Barber in the backfield. The Dallas receiving corp looked impressive with Terrell Owens, Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin, Mike Jefferson and Martellus Bennett each making grabs in traffic and amongst tight coverage from the Denver secondary.

-From there the teams moved the 7-on-7 drills to the redzone. Owens hauled in a reception from Tony Romo on the first play of the drill. Romo’s second pass was deflected by Williams in the endzone. Romo attempted to force his next attempts. The first an overthow with tight coverage being applied by Dre’ Bly in the endzone. The second toss was broken up by Jamie Winborn. Brad Johnson took over the reigns at quarterback and his pass was tipped and intercepted by Jack Williams in the corner of the endzone. Owens capped of the drill for the Cowboys as he started it with a touchdown grab over Tyrone Poole.

-Tensions started to mount during 11-on-11s. The Cowboys began to show some frustration after a Romo over throw, Barber being stopped in the backfield by Koutouvides and an incomplete pass to Owens with tight coverage applied by Bly. A side note: watching the Cowboys offense during 7-on-7 drills it is abundantly obvious that Owens is Romo’s preferred target. Many times Romo would look to Owens first– often throwing him the ball for a completion — but if Owens wasn’t open he would a quick check to his other wideouts and then immediately look back to Owens. Romo showed his inclination to throwing toward Owens on the next play, forcing a pass into tight coverage only to have it intercepted by Bly.

The next play the Cowboys let their frustrations on the offensive side of the ball boil over. Marcus Thomas was applying pressure on the quarterback allowing Ebenezer Ekuban to get to Romo. Thomas and Cowboys tackle Flozell Adams got into a pushing match that escaladed when Adams ripped off Thomas’ helmet and swung it towards Thomas’ head. Both teams got caught up in the scuffle some shoves and words were exchanged but cooler heads prevailed. Nate Webster made sure that the Cowboys were reminded of their frustrations yelling “defense” as the teams seperated. A few plays later Webster literally reminded the Cowboys of their offensive stuggles, laying a devistating hit on a Cowboys receiver as he attempted to make a grab along the sideline.

QUOTABLE: “You can expect that, especially from those interior guys because they are more hands on and face on everyday. It does get a little chippy but that is just part of football.”
-Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens, on the altercation between Marcus Thomas and Flozell Adams.

The teams are back on the field this afternoon at 4:10. Check back for the afternoon blog.

-Gray Caldwell

LRtagger
08-14-2008, 02:13 PM
- In defensive line vs. offensive line one-on-ones, Dewayne Robertson looked to be unstoppable. Whether it was one-on-ones or two-on-twos, the 6-foot-1, 308-pound defensive tackle consistently bullied his way to the quarterback.

This is what I like to hear. :salute:

honz
08-14-2008, 03:51 PM
:rofl: Now Pacman is getting burned consistently (even by scrubs) and decides to blame it on a lack of pass rush. Way to back up your words Pacman...good stuff.

Broncos - 2
Pacman - 0

MOtorboat
08-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Via Bill Williamson's Blog
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest

Marshall talks about Jones

Courtesy of the Denver Broncos' PR department, we have comments from receiver Brandon Marshall, who explains his antics with Dallas cornerback Adam Jones over the past two days.

Marshall also addressed the intensity of the morning practice, which was clearly more fiery than the first two workout with Dallas. Cowboys' offensive tackle Flozell Adams and Denver defensive tackle Marcus Thomas got into a brief skirmish.

Here are Marshall's comments:

On the Broncos' morning practice

"As a team we had a little drop off, but you know that's part of playing in the National Football League. We just got to be more consistent."

On competing against Dallas CB Adam Jones

"Man, I won today."

On his message to CB Adam Jones on the back of his pads during morning practice

"Basically, I said yesterday that '21 is no Champ (Bailey).' I thought about it for a moment [Thursday] that since he's changed his name back to Adam he's not even Pacman. He's not even as good as Pacman used to be, but it's all in fun. I explained to him that he needed to spice it up because I'm winning right now."

On his intensity during practice against Dallas

"I'm aiming for perfection, and today I had a little drop off. I had a few dropped balls and that's not like me. I was kind of upset with myself. I'm always trying to have a Pro Bowl day every day, and today is not one of those days."

On the high intensity overall from both sides of the ball

"Yesterday was a little buddy-buddy system going on, but today was more intense and more physical. We got after it today and it was pretty even."

On doing one-on-one drills during practice

"Well, when you see Peyton Manning come out and he sees different coverages, whether it's press or off coverage, he changes it up. As a defensive back in the NFL, you make your money doing press coverage. So I said, 'Let's go deep.' We went deep. We went 100 percent going deep against Pacman Jones -- I mean, Adam. Sorry. And we won."

On competing against Dallas CB Adam Jones

"It's exciting to be able to go against someone else and to be able to go out and compete against another team. You got to motivate yourself a little more when you wake up every day going against the same guy. Today felt like game day a little bit."

HughC
08-14-2008, 05:27 PM
:rofl: Now Pacman is getting burned consistently (even by scrubs) and decides to blame it on a lack of pass rush. Way to back up your words Pacman...good stuff.

Broncos - 2
Pacman - 0

Next time will be the first time Pacman takes responsibilty for his own actions.

Stargazer
08-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Here's a video of TO & Bly talking about competing and training camp.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80a01078&campaign=ec0009