PDA

View Full Version : Broncos official Joe Ellis feels fans' pain, continues support for McDaniels

Denver Native (Carol)
11-05-2010, 09:31 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16528413

Last in the AFC West and among the five worst teams in the NFL, the Broncos were followed into their bye week by an enraged fan base.

"Don't think we don't know that," said Joe Ellis, the Broncos' chief operating officer and top lieutenant to owner Pat Bowlen. "Their anger and disappointment is justified."

Most of the vitriol is directed at one of two people: Coach Josh McDaniels, or Bowlen for hiring McDaniels, whose team has lost 14 of its past 18 games.

If it helps, the rancor has not fallen on deaf ears at Dove Valley. Though they occupy the most important offices, Bowlen and Ellis are not insulated.

Asked specifically about McDaniels' job security, Ellis expressed confidence his coach will turn the team around this season, but stopped short of guaranteeing McDaniels' return for a third season.

"Right now we have eight games left to play," Ellis said. "And we start with one game, and that's against the Kansas City Chiefs. We need to work hard and prepare and play well in that game. Having said that, Pat Bowlen believes Josh McDaniels can bring this team around. He believes in how he's approaching his job to get this team to be a contender every year. We think the players believe in him. They believe in the staff, and we think it's important for everyone inside our building to stick together and work hard."

In an interview Thursday with The Denver Post, Ellis, speaking for the team's top management, addressed the state of the Broncos at the season's halfway mark; their humiliating 59-14 home defeat to Oakland; Bowlen's state of mind; how the team's current four-game losing streak has affected business; the organizational role of quarterback legend John Elway; and McDaniels, whom he helped Bowlen hire away from the New England Patriots to succeed Mike Shanahan prior to the 2009 season.

At 2-6, the Broncos have their worst halfway-mark record since 1999, when the team followed back-to-back Super Bowl titles with a 6-10 record.

It's been 20 years since the Broncos finished as woeful as 5-11. They've never finished 4-12 or worse since the NFL expanded to a 16-game season in 1978. To a Broncos fan base that has experienced just four losing full seasons since 1975, frustration has turned to anger.

"We've had a culture of winning here under Pat Bowlen for 27 years," Ellis said. "When that started to slide (under Shanahan), there were expectations that when we brought in the new head coach that would change immediately. When that didn't happen as fast as our fans wanted it to — we all wanted it to happen quickly — there was a lot of angst among our fans."

Other topics addressed by Ellis:

The 59-14 debacle to Oakland on Oct. 24: "The type of loss we had at home, the fans' emotions and feelings are understandably raw in terms of their anger and disappointment. Pat understands that. Josh understands that.

"Because of the way that game went, we made our apologies, we told everybody how embarrassed we were through our head coach and players. But those words right now ring hollow. The only way you can win back the fans' trust is to earn it on the field by coaching better, playing better and performing better and winning."

Bowlen's health: The Broncos' owner has said in the past year he struggles with short-term memory loss. He rarely gives interviews anymore. But, Ellis said, Bowlen is active in the day-to-day operations of the team and continues to serve on significant NFL committees, including those that oversee labor and broadcasting rights.

"Pat's doing well," Ellis said. "He's elected at this point in his life to step back and not be in the spotlight as much as he was. That was his plan when he brought in Josh. But he's in (the office) every day. He speaks to the coach every day. He's engaged completely on where we are.

"I will tell you this: No one is more competitive inside our building than Pat Bowlen. No one wants to win more than Pat Bowlen. Josh knows that. I know that. I hope our players know that. I hope our coaches know that."

The mood of BroncosNation: Does he expect dips in attendance, merchandise sales and luxury-suite occupancy with a third four-game losing streak in a span of 18 games?

"No, our fans continue to support us," Ellis said.

Counting playoffs, the Broncos have enjoyed 328 consecutive sellouts. The crowds were exuberant during the Broncos' first two home games, against Seattle and Indianapolis.

"And the Jets game was one of the best crowds I've seen in 10 years at our stadium," Ellis said. "They may be angry and upset with us right now and that's understandable. But they've been great this year. Obviously the way the Oakland game went, they expressed their anger. Who wouldn't have?"

John Elway's role with the team: In an interview with Denver Post columnist Woody Paige in June, Elway said he would like to become involved with the Broncos as an "untitled adviser." That has happened.

"John's around," Ellis said. "He's been very helpful on our corporate business side. He's stopped by practice. He's stopped by to see Mr. Bowlen on occasions. He loves and cares about the Broncos as much as anybody. And his input on things is taken to heart."

McDaniels' future: McDaniels' coaching tenure began with a six-game win streak. But a historic fade in 2009 was followed by a horrendous start this season, leading to a 4-14 record over the past calendar year.

The list is long of NFL coaches who had successful careers despite slow starts, and includes names such as Bill Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Tom Coughlin and Shanahan. Ellis believes McDaniels will right the ship.

"The guy that's probably closest to Pat in that race of competitiveness is the head coach himself," Ellis said. "Josh's total mission is to win.

"We're going through the bumps along the road that franchises go through from time to time, but we're not making excuses. Everybody has to put one foot in front of the other and work hard and play better. And win. Ultimately it's about results. And we all know that."

rcsodak
11-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Well, AGAIN, there is ZERO mention, other than the writer's, that McD is on the hotseat this year. So that needs to be set aside, imo.
Other than that, and the insight into Mr B's health and Elways involvement, same as yesterdays article.
Business as usual...trying to right the ship.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Northman
11-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Well, AGAIN, there is ZERO mention, other than the writer's, that McD is on the hotseat this year.

What? You must of missed this both times now. He was asked specifically about his future but Ellis wouldnt confirm he would be back.

Asked specifically about McDaniels' job security, Ellis expressed confidence his coach will turn the team around this season, but stopped short of guaranteeing McDaniels' return for a third season.

Broncolingus
11-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Nice words...

...unfortunately, the reality is W-L's dictate how committed folks are to winning so I'll hold my judgement until the end of the season.

Bottom line, if 'they' are committed to winning, and based on what 'they' are saying, Denver will be playing in a playoff game this winter...

rcsodak
11-05-2010, 12:33 PM
What? You must of missed this both times now. He was asked specifically about his future but Ellis wouldnt confirm he would be back.
I look for quote marks. Don't you?
Listen, as was said earlier, Mr B doesnt want to pay 3 coaches in 2011. Nor 2 in '12/'13 I would suspect. And the last thing they want to do is fan the fan by telling the ya'll that NO MATTER WHAT, McD will be back. This way, after the season, they can point to this/that and say McD earned another season. Remember....time cures all ills.

rcsodak
11-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Nice words...

...unfortunately, the reality is W-L's dictate how committed folks are to winning so I'll hold my judgement until the end of the season.

Bottom line, if 'they' are committed to winning, and based on what 'they' are saying, Denver will be playing in a playoff game this winter...
*reality slap*
All 32 teams "say" the same thing, but only 12 are allowed.

broncofaninfla
11-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I don't want to be one of those teams that changes coaching staffs every 2-3 years. I want Mcd to suceed, I want Denver to win and play the type of ball he said Denver would be playing. It's all on him though, he's been able to do it his way with his players, it hasn't worked out yet but I hope it does soon. Like next weekend soon. This team has to finish with some signs of optimism.

Mcd learned how to coach Belechecks system but he never learned how to deal with adversity under Belecheck. We are about to find out what kind of coach Mcd himself is. If he can coach his way out of this, this kid might just turn out to be something. If not, he'll be another failed Belecheck disciple.

Dzone
11-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Sounds very much like it was a plea for fans to be patient with Mcdaniels. From the sound of it, we will have Mcd to kick around for another season after this one

Northman
11-05-2010, 01:53 PM
I look for quote marks. Don't you?
Listen, as was said earlier, Mr B doesnt want to pay 3 coaches in 2011. Nor 2 in '12/'13 I would suspect. And the last thing they want to do is fan the fan by telling the ya'll that NO MATTER WHAT, McD will be back. This way, after the season, they can point to this/that and say McD earned another season. Remember....time cures all ills.

Actually, wins cure all ills.

However, if you think they are saying this just too get fans to shut up and think we will forget about it if we crash and burn the rest of the season your crazy. So while he didnt say McD will not be back for sure he also said the possibility that he may not be back next year is still open. Fact is, we dont know what Mr. B thinks in terms of paying 3 coaches. I know one thing he does think and that is he doesnt like losing.

Northman
11-05-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't want to be one of those teams that changes coaching staffs every 2-3 years.

If McDaniels is fired i dont think thats the route we will go. We saw something similiar with Wade Phillips years ago. I think Bowlen was simply trying his hand at a young coach and if it fails i can see him making a play for a more seasoned coach if he needs to can McD. McD is simply an experiment in my mind and i think Bowlen is starting to regret hiring him.

slim
11-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Much ado about nothing, IMO.

rcsodak
11-05-2010, 02:47 PM
EXACTAMUNDO!

Lonestar
11-05-2010, 04:13 PM

"Right now we have eight games left to play," Ellis said. "And we start with one game, and that's against the Kansas City Chiefs. We need to work hard and prepare and play well in that game. Having said that, Pat Bowlen believes Josh McDaniels can bring this team around. He believes in how he's approaching his job to get this team to be a contender every year. We think the players believe in him. They believe in the staff, and we think it's important for everyone inside our building to stick together and work hard."
."

The list is long of NFL coaches who had successful careers despite slow starts, and includes names such as Bill Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Tom Coughlin and Shanahan. Ellis believes McDaniels will right the ship.

"The guy that's probably closest to Pat in that race of competitiveness is the head coach himself," Ellis said. "Josh's total mission is to win.

"We're going through the bumps along the road that franchises go through from time to time, but we're not making excuses. Everybody has to put one foot in front of the other and work hard and play better. And win. Ultimately it's about results. And we all know that.". I think that explains it quite well Pat and Joe has confidence they will be fine EVEN though you do not.

I'm ceratinly glad they are in charge.

I suspect they KNOW the reasons for what happened so far this year. They also will value that when making hard decisions.

Ravage!!!
11-05-2010, 04:20 PM
I think they know of the bad trades, lost talent, bad drafts and terrible execution on the field. So yeah.. they know the reasons, all right.

KCL
11-05-2010, 04:23 PM
. I think that explains it quite well Pat and Joe has confidence they will be fine EVEN though you do not.

I suspect they KNOW the reasons for what happened so far this year. They also will value that when making hard decisions.

I believe you missed the point of North's post.

Northman
11-05-2010, 04:36 PM
. I think that explains it quite well Pat and Joe has confidence they will be fine EVEN though you do not.

but stopped short of guaranteeing McDaniels' return for a third season.This says it all.

Northman
11-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I believe you missed the point of North's post.

Are you really shocked by that? They always gloss over the obvious.

Ravage!!!
11-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Oh... Bolded and put in Hot Pink!!

Lonestar
11-05-2010, 04:41 PM

Yep SCDD from the anti Josh crowd.

Northman
11-05-2010, 04:41 PM

Forgot to make it bigger. His eyesight might be going. :laugh:

Broncolingus
11-05-2010, 04:52 PM

...that was actually for Clay.

KCL
11-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Are you really shocked by that? They always gloss over the obvious.

Where did you get that avy? :lol:

SOCALORADO.
11-05-2010, 05:08 PM
...that was actually for Clay.

HEY! Clay is not the only one who loves hot pink

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/gruden.jpg

Lonestar
11-05-2010, 05:34 PM
This says it all.

Was it asked and he refused to guarantee it or was it journalistic guess work.

Did Joe say it. That I doubt.

But you can believe what you wish like always.

I'll wait till the end of season.

Lonestar
11-05-2010, 05:39 PM

You know like the liberals if you repeat it enough everyone will believe it to be true.

Lancane
11-05-2010, 06:18 PM
You know like the liberals if you repeat it enough everyone will believe it to be true.

You know like conservatives everything has a double meaning and is stemmed from lies to protect their own self-interests.

:coffee:

Northman
11-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Was it asked and he refused to guarantee it or was it journalistic guess work.

Did Joe say it. That I doubt.

I'll wait till the end of season.

You got to be kidding me. So Joe says "Bowlen and i have confidence that McD can turn it around this year but instead of saying "Yes, Josh will be back next year" he becomes quiet and you dont buy it? Thats priceless.

Let me guess, had Joe said "Josh will be back for sure in 2011" you would be buying it 100%. Dude, please.

claymore
11-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Ellis isnt stupid, he will throw McD under the bus (fire his ass) the second his (Ellis) seat starts warming up.

Northman
11-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Ellis isnt stupid, he will throw McD under the bus (fire his ass) the second his (Ellis) seat starts warming up.

:lol:

Thats EXACTLY my thinking.

Ellis was one of the key components of getting McD hired. With the fanbase totally irate at McD right now if we dont turn it around and fast Ellis will scapegoat McD in a hurry.

dogfish
11-05-2010, 08:15 PM
the scary part of this is that ellis apparently doesn't hold accountability to anyone. . . and if he has as much influence over the hiring process as he seems to, there's very little chance that we'll bring in the experienced football mind we so desperately need even if we do fire mcD. . . someone like gruden or cowher is likely to want more control than ellis will want to give up, meaning joe has something of a vested interest in hiring a young coach. . .

Medford Bronco
11-05-2010, 08:18 PM
the scary part of this is that ellis apparently doesn't hold accountability to anyone. . . and if he has as much influence over the hiring process as he seems to, there's very little chance that we'll bring in the experienced football mind we so desperately need even if we do fire mcD. . . someone like gruden or cowher is likely to want more control than ellis will want to give up, meaning joe has something of a vested interest in hiring a young coach. . .

Gruden might actually have a team that does not quit on him and might try to run the ball and not abandon it every freaking game.

McD thinks Orton is Brady. He is NOT Brady and never will be Brady :coffee:

Northman
11-05-2010, 08:22 PM

Yes and no.

Depends on how much say and how put together Bowlen is. For a guy like Ellis its easy to lay the brunt of the blame on McD but if a guy like Cowher or Gruden came in it wouldnt be near as easy to throw them under the bus. But again, just depends on how much control and say he has over Bowlen at this point.