PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network bumped the Dallas v. Broncos game for Favre

Tned
08-13-2008, 08:10 AM
It looks like the NFL Network will no longer carry the Cowboys v. Broncos game live Saturday night, and instead will televise the Jets game that starts two hours earlier, trying to cash in on the Favre publicity.

The Broncos game is showing up in the DirecTV guide on Sunday afternoon.

BroncoJoe
08-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Thank God I live in Denver. I don't know how you guys deal with not being able to watch every game.

Tned
08-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Thank God I live in Denver. I don't know how you guys deal with not being able to watch every game.

It sucks. I will be working on Saturday night with no TV or computer around, so I was going to be watching it on a DVR anyway, but it still sucks for those that had planned to watch it live on NFLN.

Davii
08-13-2008, 08:27 AM
I hadn't much cared about the Favre situation until right now.

I now hate him with a blinding passion. Damn you Favre. I hope the Jet's go 0-16.

NightTrainLayne
08-13-2008, 08:46 AM
What the Hell? I guess I'll have to wait for NFLN to replay it again. Good news is that I'm predicting Favre falling flat as a Jet, and it'll be prime-time embarrassment now.

Tebow4Ever
08-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Does anyone know if the local CBS channel here in Denver will carry the game as it did last week? CBS 4 I believe....

Thnikkaman
08-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Does anyone want to buy my house at full market value so I can re-locate back to Denver?

Buff
08-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Does anyone know if the local CBS channel here in Denver will carry the game as it did last week? CBS 4 I believe....

Yes, they'll carry all the preseason games.

Bronco Bible
08-13-2008, 11:37 AM
I knew they would pull that crap!!!!!!!!! Tned does that mean directv sunday ticket kicks in this week?:confused:

Italianmobstr7
08-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Thats so stupid. Since I live in ok I still might get to see it on channel 19 but it's not guaranteed. I hate Brett favre.

hamrob
08-13-2008, 11:53 AM
I live in Dallas...so I'm hoping it is aired live here. The NFL network is starting to get a reputation for this..."Undependable"!

Tned
08-13-2008, 12:15 PM
I live in Dallas...so I'm hoping it is aired live here. The NFL network is starting to get a reputation for this..."Undependable"!

They created a press release about how great it was that they were now covering the Jets and Favre, because the NFL Network's goal is to cover breaking stories, or some garbage like that.

honz
08-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Stupid Favre. I was looking forward to watching some live Broncos football, but I guess I will just have to watch it on replay again. I hope Favre dies a fiery, painful death.

HughC
08-13-2008, 12:34 PM
As much as it sucks, I can understand their business decision. Favre's first game as a Jet will get a lot higher ratings nationwide than the Cowboys vs Broncos will. For people in areas of the country where the primary cable company doesn't carry NFLN (such as Comcast), this might create enough interest to get a few people to switch to DirecTV or a secondary cable company where they can get NFLN.

Thnikkaman
08-13-2008, 12:42 PM
As much as it sucks, I can understand their business decision. Favre's first game as a Jet will get a lot higher ratings nationwide than the Cowboys vs Broncos will. For people in areas of the country where the primary cable company doesn't carry NFLN (such as Comcast), this might create enough interest to get a few people to switch to DirecTV or a secondary cable company where they can get NFLN.

Sure, since putting regular season games hasn't been able to get people to force their cable companies to carry the NFLN, I am sure this pre-season game will do it.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2008, 12:46 PM

It appears Comcast carries it - maybe limited to certain locations only??

http://www.comcast.com/Customers/Clu/ChannelLineup.ashx?lid=4ProgrammingChannelLineups&lpos=Nav

HughC
08-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Sure, since putting regular season games hasn't been able to get people to force their cable companies to carry the NFLN, I am sure this pre-season game will do it.

I never said this would force cable companies to carry NFLN; they've drawn a line in the sand and aren't going to budge.

I'm just saying that this is a logical business decision for the NFLN. At the minimum, they get higher ratings; in addition, the change may result in a few more subscribers.

The change sucks for Broncos fans outside of Colorado, but it's a smart business move by NFLN.

Italianmobstr7
08-13-2008, 12:54 PM
If you live in the central part of the U.S. game will be aired on your local CBS channel! Looks like they've just switched what channel they were going to show the game on. I have directv and apparently it's called "DirecTV Central" I don't know who all is considered in that, but I would think Texas, Okla, Missouri, Ark, maybe Kansas will all be carrying the game. I do know that anyone living Oklahoma will be getting to see it on CBS instead of NFLN.

http://www.tvguide.com/listings/default.aspx

HughC
08-13-2008, 12:58 PM

http://www.comcast.com/Customers/Clu/ChannelLineup.ashx?lid=4ProgrammingChannelLineups&lpos=Nav

Comcast and NFLN have been taking each other to court for the last year or two. Comcast wants NFLN on a higher priced tier, which only a small percentage of people get. NFLN wants to be on the basic tier, just like espn, versus, and others.

NightTrainLayne
08-13-2008, 01:58 PM
If you live in the central part of the U.S. game will be aired on your local CBS channel! Looks like they've just switched what channel they were going to show the game on. I have directv and apparently it's called "DirecTV Central" I don't know who all is considered in that, but I would think Texas, Okla, Missouri, Ark, maybe Kansas will all be carrying the game. I do know that anyone living Oklahoma will be getting to see it on CBS instead of NFLN.

Sweet! :cool:

Italianmobstr7
08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Sweet! :cool:

Yep yep. CBS at 8 P.M. saturday night.

dogfish
08-13-2008, 03:50 PM
those dirty litle weasels!

if i ever run into rich eisen, i'm going to kick him in the shins. . .

Nomad
08-13-2008, 05:27 PM
I hadn't much cared about the Favre situation until right now.

I now hate him with a blinding passion. Damn you Favre. I hope the Jet's go 0-16.

Same here! The Farve saga is getting old fast and I agree I hope he falls flat on his face. I was a fan but now I question it. I hope this justin.tv shows the game!

broncosfanscott
08-13-2008, 05:34 PM
GO REDSKINS!!

I hope Jason Taylor welcomes Favre back to the NFL. ;)

I guess I'll have to just listen to the game now.

Timmy!
08-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Yes, they'll carry all the preseason games.

We also get it in Colorado Springs. I think pretty much any CBS station in Colorado switches to the CBS 4 feed to get the game. I could be wrong though, but it's awesome.

pnbronco
08-13-2008, 05:40 PM
those dirty litle weasels!

if i ever run into rich eisen, i'm going to kick him in the shins. . .

You said it Dog, if you find him I'll help. What a mess this whole thing has turned into. The tabloid world has gotten into football and there are some things that should be above that and football is certainly it!!!

Timmy!
08-13-2008, 05:42 PM

As a former Comcast employee (and my girl still works there) I can shed a little light on it, as far as Colorado is concerned anyway. NFLN (channel 177) is part of the "sports tier" which includes several other sports channels as well. The reason that NFLN is not part of any basic package is because the NFL actually charges the cable companies a pretty high premium to carry their channel, so the company tries to make up some of the cost by putting it in a subscription package (just like HBO, Showtime, etc) so some companies won't even carry the channel. The NFL is famous for this. Little known fact: NFL Sunday Ticket (Direct TV) actually LOSES the company $$ every single year (we're talking like a million bucks here) because of the HUGE cost they have to pay the NFL for access to every single game as they are the only company who has this right. The trade off is they get so many new customers/retained customers just because of Sunday Ticket, they are able to recoup the losses in the long run with other charges and turn a profit.

frauschieze
08-13-2008, 08:15 PM
We also get it in Colorado Springs. I think pretty much any CBS station in Colorado switches to the CBS 4 feed to get the game. I could be wrong though, but it's awesome.

I get to watch the CBS4 broadcast up here every game. :salute:

yardog
08-13-2008, 08:16 PM

Do you have an extra room?

frauschieze
08-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Do you have an extra room?

You're more than welcome if you don't mind crashing on the couch!

Broncogator
08-13-2008, 08:38 PM

That's why I got Sunday ticket in 95...well actually stealing sat. until black sunday in 2001..I really liked emulators, and I miss having the Denver locals. :tsk:

DenBronx
08-13-2008, 08:40 PM
anyone know if you will get the game if you have direct tv/nfl ticket???

Timmy!
08-13-2008, 08:41 PM

Montana=Broncos country! :cool:

DenBronx
08-13-2008, 08:45 PM
As a former Comcast employee (and my girl still works there) I can shed a little light on it, as far as Colorado is concerned anyway. NFLN (channel 177) is part of the "sports tier" which includes several other sports channels as well. The reason that NFLN is not part of any basic package is because the NFL actually charges the cable companies a pretty high premium to carry their channel, so the company tries to make up some of the cost by putting it in a subscription package (just like HBO, Showtime, etc) so some companies won't even carry the channel. The NFL is famous for this. Little known fact: NFL Sunday Ticket (Direct TV) actually LOSES the company $$ every single year (we're talking like a million bucks here) because of the HUGE cost they have to pay the NFL for access to every single game as they are the only company who has this right. The trade off is they get so many new customers/retained customers just because of Sunday Ticket, they are able to recoup the losses in the long run with other charges and turn a profit.

ive had direct tv for years now. they have more hd channels than anyone and better sports packages, like nfl ticket/nascar ect.

Timmy!
08-13-2008, 08:50 PM
ive had direct tv for years now. they have more hd channels than anyone and better sports packages, like nfl ticket/nascar ect.

Not to take the company line as I'm still pissed at Comcast, but if you count all the VOD HD content (VOD: video on demand which is the only reason I think cable is better than any kinda of dish) cable actually has more HD programs, but less channels. Frankly, if I didn't get employee pricing I wouldn't have cable. But as it is I have 2 HD/DVR's, 250+ channels, VOIP phone service with unlimited long distance, and 10mbs internet for $50 a month. :heh:

slim
08-13-2008, 09:08 PM
anyone know if you will get the game if you have direct tv/nfl ticket???

I don't think so...they usually don't carry preseason on the ticket.

dendave
08-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Not to take the company line as I'm still pissed at Comcast, but if you count all the VOD HD content (VOD: video on demand which is the only reason I think cable is better than any kinda of dish) cable actually has more HD programs, but less channels. Frankly, if I didn't get employee pricing I wouldn't have cable. But as it is I have 2 HD/DVR's, 250+ channels, VOIP phone service with unlimited long distance, and 10mbs internet for $50 a month. :heh:

$50 a month, as employee pricing...how many employees does Comcast have...so if they can afford to give that price to employees, they are charging others more than they need to...now I know why I don't have comcrap...and comcraps customer service sucks.

Dreadnought
08-14-2008, 10:07 AM

Wanna take a wild guess how much good that does me here in NY? :laugh:

Its bad enough not to get the game, worse still watching the sports media slobber all over Favre now that he's a Jet, and praising this broadcast change as the wisest decision since King Solomon. Crap.

Timmy!
08-14-2008, 12:39 PM
$50 a month, as employee pricing...how many employees does Comcast have...so if they can afford to give that price to employees, they are charging others more than they need to...now I know why I don't have comcrap...and comcraps customer service sucks.

Anybody who works for a company gets perks. The only reason we pay anything is for the uber fast internet, the phone and dvr boxes. If we had just had a normal box, no phone, and standard internet we'd would pay 0, nada, nothing, as does every comcast employee. Kinda like when I worked at T-mobile and got their cell phone service for free. Jeez, jealous/vindictive much? :heh:

Something tells me your the kinda guy who used to waste my time complaining about their internet for 30 minutes when all they had to do was listen to me and reset their friggin router :rolleyes:

OB
08-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey living here finally paid off - only took 11 years :lol:

HughC
08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
If this is any indication, the 2008 media Favrefalooza tour is not going to end anytime soon. A Milwaukee television station is going to carry as many (seven) Jets games as they are permitted to this season.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=782630

WDJT-TV (Channel 58) has not received confirmation or permission, but it seems likely the station can carry at least seven New York Jets game telecasts this season.

Throw in the Sept. 22 “Monday Night Football” game between the Jets and host San Diego Chargers, and the number goes to eight Jets games in the Milwaukee market in 2008.

Since Brett Favre, perhaps the most popular player in Green Bay Packers history, was traded to the Jets, Channel 58 has started discussions with CBS Sports to bring as many Jets games as possible into the Milwaukee market.

“There is no definitive answer, but CBS is keenly aware in our interests in carrying as many Jets games as possible,” Jim Hall, general manager of Channel 58, said Tuesday.

The seven Jets games that appear headed for Channel 58 are: noon Sept. 7 at Miami; 3:15 p.m. Sept. 14 vs. New England; noon Oct. 12 vs. Cincinnati; noon Oct 26 vs. Kansas City; noon Nov. 23 at Tennessee; 3:05 p.m. Dec. 7 at San Francisco; and 3:05 p.m. Dec. 21 at Seattle.

None of those games conflicts with the start times of Packers games on the same weekends.

Two games — noon Sept. 28 vs. Arizona and noon Nov. 9 vs. St. Louis — are to air on Fox, but Packers games are scheduled to air at that those times on WITI-TV (Channel 6), so the Jets can’t be shown here.

The NFL Network owns one Jets game, at 7:15 p.m. Nov. 13 at New England, but only the fraction of TV viewers who get the NFL Network can see that game in this market.

The other seven Jets games are opposite Packers games. All of those are candidates to air on Channel 58.

Yeah, I know that's Wisconsin, but I suspect the national media is going to pay as much attention to Favre and the Jets as the other 31 teams and 1500 players combined this year.

turftoad
08-14-2008, 05:21 PM
If this is any indication, the 2008 media Favrefalooza tour is not going to end anytime soon. A Milwaukee television station is going to carry as many (seven) Jets games as they are permitted to this season.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=782630

Yeah, I know that's Wisconsin, but I suspect the national media is going to pay as much attention to Favre and the Jets as the other 31 teams and 1500 players combined this year.

Man are we going to sick and tited of it by the end of the season, hell, I already am. :tsk:

gnomeflinger
08-14-2008, 05:46 PM
It looks like the NFL Network will no longer carry the Cowboys v. Broncos game live Saturday night, and instead will televise the Jets game that starts two hours earlier, trying to cash in on the Favre publicity.

The Broncos game is showing up in the DirecTV guide on Sunday afternoon.

One man should not have that much power. Lame lame lame lame lame. I also hope the Jets lose badly, and that Favre has a total crash and burn year.

Nomad
08-16-2008, 06:36 AM
I know many of you don't care because you get to watch the game (NODAK missed the cutoff) , but I was looking on the justin.tv and (maybe I'm reading it wrong) that the game will be shown at 11:00 pm tonight and not live:confused:.