PDA

View Full Version : **WHAT IF** Merriman released/denver signs

rcsodak
11-02-2010, 04:38 PM
What would be your reaction to those headlines? Him and JW again? Isnt the dline coach from there?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

NorCalBronco7
11-02-2010, 04:43 PM
You almost had me. You should title this thread something different.

Northman
11-02-2010, 04:48 PM
What would be your reaction to those headlines?

Desperation.

jhildebrand
11-02-2010, 04:50 PM
So much for morals and high character and generally good guys :coffee:

shank
11-02-2010, 04:56 PM
i'd probably react by creating a thread with a BS, misleading title.

rcsodak
11-02-2010, 05:00 PM
i'd probably react by creating a thread with a BS, misleading title.
waaaaaahhhhhhh I guess thats reserved for the select few, huh?
so get past the title, and how about addressing the body. SD released him today, meaning he's healthy.

So.......?

slim
11-02-2010, 05:01 PM
He is nothing without his PEDs.

No thanks.

Broncolingus
11-02-2010, 05:05 PM
My reaction...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgB4g3LuyybB5YXTXV_qjyCyA6jjTIj L0Rl0Uh_tmLhhcS6XU&t=1&usg=__iLs8nS-wP7YyuBWYiI4x3ldfcoI=

frauschieze
11-02-2010, 05:06 PM
I dunno. I don't want him here....but we're also missing a couple outside linebackers last I checked. It's about a zillion times better than the idea of signing Randy Moss.

Doesn't mean it's good, but at least it would be a transaction at a current weakness....

Saying that makes me a little sick to my stomach.

Lancane
11-02-2010, 05:07 PM
In seriousness if I was McDaniels I'd sign him, let's be honest...we need the help, he knows the scheme and is another body for a depleted defense. F'n who cares about the issues with him, McDaniels is going to have to learn at some point to deal with character issued athletes, that is just the way it is.

Lonestar
11-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Sign him IF he is not to expensive. Can't be worse than what we have.

GEM
11-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Edited title.

OrangeHoof
11-02-2010, 05:35 PM
If terms were reasonable, I'd sign him for the rest of the season but why would he want to play for a suck-ass team? My guess is he signs with a contender, not a pretender. Wouldn't shock me at all if that turns out to be the Patriots.

BroncoWave
11-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Clayton said today on sports center that Denver is one of the favorites to sign him.

BroncoWave
11-02-2010, 05:36 PM
If terms were reasonable, I'd sign him for the rest of the season but why would he want to play for a suck-ass team? My guess is he signs with a contender, not a pretender. Wouldn't shock me at all if that turns out to be the Patriots.

He's on waivers so if Denver claims him he doesn't have much of a choice. Now if he clears waivers then obviously he could and probably would pick the Pats.

cuzz4169
11-02-2010, 05:59 PM
He cant be any worse than the 2 slacks playing OLB right now.

GEM
11-02-2010, 06:01 PM
He's a bum. The steroids made the man.

KCL
11-02-2010, 06:06 PM
hell why not and better snatch up JaMarcus while you're at it before the Skins do..does he have anything left in the tank? Hasn't he been injury prone lately?

Krugan
11-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Tell me he wouldnt be an upgrade to Jarvis Moss...

ChampWJ
11-02-2010, 06:37 PM
McDaniels is quickly losing the luxury of choosing character over talent.

Outside linebacker is one of our weakest positions right now due to injuries and lack of talent. Now a guy who was recently a dominant, pro-bowl player becomes available and our waiver priority gives us an excellent shot to address a huge weakness. How could the team not make a claim on him and see what he can do?

Assuming Merriman is healthy and motivated to resurrect his career, this move makes way too much sense on paper.

Canmore
11-02-2010, 06:41 PM
...this move makes way too much sense on paper.

Sense and Josh McDaniels are diametrically opposed.

camdisco24
11-02-2010, 06:42 PM
He's a bum. The steroids made the man.

X2
The Broncos don't need any trash on the team right now. We've got bigger problems.

Krugan
11-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Like lack of talent.

topscribe
11-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Bring him in for a workout . . . :whoknows:

-----

KCL
11-02-2010, 08:20 PM
I think he would fit in with the Raiders...funny thing what losing does to some fans..wasn't that long ago...most here were hating on him..:lol:

NickelTG
11-02-2010, 08:48 PM
IMO the broncos are too poor on talent to snub anyone without consideration (providing they are actually looking at a somewhat talented player).

JONtheBRONCO
11-02-2010, 08:57 PM
With open arms.

UnderArmour
11-02-2010, 09:14 PM
It would be a good signing. Hopefully we cut Richard Quinn to make room for him.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
11-02-2010, 11:22 PM
If that criteria is met, sign him.

Is he only contracted until the end of the year? If so its worth the risk

TimTebow15MVP
11-03-2010, 04:36 AM
his old coach is here, his buddy JW is here, he gets to play the chargers two times this year. bring him in! ill take merriman even though hes off the juice over jarvis moss. he might play some inspired football the rest of the year. or he might not. but we know for sure jarvis moss will NOT.

SoCalImport
11-03-2010, 06:40 AM
Merriman has a past that says "low character/trouble" but when was the last time his name made the front page of anything? I realize that he's been just as quiet on the field as off but does he still count as a "high drama/to be avoided/cheat" type of player?

Jut a question to ask when considering him for the Broncos.

I don't know whether I'd want him or not, but I don't think I'd make that call based on his jackassery in the past. If he's been keeping his nose clean then maybe work him out and see if he can help us out.

Dirk
11-03-2010, 07:10 AM
At this point the season is a wash unfortunately. We aren't playoff bound.

I wouldn't lower my standards to bring in Merriman. I didn't like him before, and I don't like him now. But, I guess everyone deserves a 2nd chance so if he has cleaned up his act and wants to really turn his career around, I won't be upset, but I wouldn't take the chance.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-03-2010, 07:25 AM
I'd rather bring in Adalius Thomas.

missingnumber7
11-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Merriman has a past that says "low character/trouble" but when was the last time his name made the front page of anything? I realize that he's been just as quiet on the field as off but does he still count as a "high drama/to be avoided/cheat" type of player?

Jut a question to ask when considering him for the Broncos.

I don't know whether I'd want him or not, but I don't think I'd make that call based on his jackassery in the past. If he's been keeping his nose clean then maybe work him out and see if he can help us out.

You mean other than the Tila Tequilla issues?

I'm all for bringing him in and getting a look. He may not be the same player he was on the juice, but he's 2x the player off juice that Jarvis Moss is. And he knows the 3-4 OLB position. All it can hurt is picking up the renegotiated contract he did in the off season which made it much cheaper to grab him.

SR
11-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Why the hell not bring him in? IMO, Denver would be stupid not to try to sign him. He's young, he's an elite LB (or was before all the drugs/injury/drama started) and if he's worth anything he'll be hell bent on resurrecting his name and reputation as one hell of a backer. If Denver signed him through the rest of this season, be it a wash or not, and he performs, sign him to a long term deal, or sign him to an extension before next season starts and use him for trade bait. IMO, with Doom and Ayers healthy, we won't need another OLB, but you can't deny what Merriman would do for this team if healthy and even playing at 75% of what he did in San Diego.

I swear sometimes it's the blind leading the blind around here.

rcsodak
11-03-2010, 10:21 AM
He's on waivers so if Denver claims him he doesn't have much of a choice. Now if he clears waivers then obviously he could and probably would pick the Pats.

AS I understand it, he's a FA to sign anywhere he chooses.

*edit. huh! guess he DID have to go thru waiver. Oh well. Guess we'll see what he has left. Maybe he's playing for his next contract and will light the place up?

Krugan
11-03-2010, 10:24 AM
AS I understand it, he's a FA to sign anywhere he chooses.

Everything I have seen says he was waived, not a UFA yet.

Like 4:30 eastern I think, maybe I missed something this morning in me precoffee haze.

Dzone
11-03-2010, 10:26 AM
He cant be any worse than what we have. Might be an advantage against afc west clubs...who knows. I say bring him in for a try out

BroncoStud
11-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Merriman hasn't been worth a crap without the steroids. He's done. If he had anything left the Chargers would have kept him. Sadly, the same can be said for Williams.

Ravage!!!
11-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Everything I have seen says he was waived, not a UFA yet.

Like 4:30 eastern I think, maybe I missed something this morning in me precoffee haze.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5757024

Shawne Merriman put on waivers

Once one of the most feared players in the NFL, outside linebacker Shawne Merriman was placed on waivers by the San Diego Chargers on Tuesday.

Merriman was placed on the injured reserve list because of a calf injury and a "minor-injury designation" last month. The Chargers said when announcing the move that Merriman must be released once he's healthy.

ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter weighs in on where linebacker Shawne Merriman and wide receiver Randy Moss could end up.

General manager A.J. Smith, who hasn't been a fan of Merriman's celebrity-leaning lifestyle, didn't return a call from The Associated Press seeking comment. Merriman didn't return an e-mail seeking comment.

Known as "Lights Out" because of his once-ferocious hits, Merriman had 39½ sacks in his first three seasons. He's had only four in the three seasons since then due to a variety of injuries.

He was suspended for four games in 2006 after testing positive for steroids. Even missing the four games, he had 17 sacks that year. Merriman blamed the positive test on a tainted supplement, which he never identified.

He also brought unwanted attention off the field. He was arrested just before the 2009 season after reality television star Tila Tequila accused him of battery and false imprisonment at his suburban San Diego home. No charges were filed, and Merriman and Tequila settled dueling lawsuits.

Merriman missed most of the 2008 season after undergoing reconstructive knee surgery. He had four sacks last year as he tried to regain his hard-hitting form. After sitting out most offseason workouts and part of training camp to protest his contract status, he was slowed by an Achilles injury and then a calf injury.

He had only five tackles and no sacks in limited action this year.

The Chargers also placed frequently injured wide receiver Craig "Buster" Davis on IR because of a groin injury and re-signed offensive tackle Adam Terry.

Davis has been one of Smith's most questionable draft picks, failing to live up to his billing as the team's first-round pick in 2007. Davis had 21 catches for 259 yards and one touchdown this season. He started one game and was inactive for Sunday's 33-25 victory against Tennessee.

His four-season totals are 51 catches for 558 yards and two touchdowns. He has played in only 26 games, 14 coming in his rookie season, with two starts.

He also was placed on IR in 2008 after playing in just four games, and played in only one game last season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

rcsodak
11-03-2010, 09:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5757024

Shawne Merriman put on waivers
The Chargers also placed frequently injured wide receiver Craig "Buster" Davis on IR because of a groin injury and re-signed offensive tackle Adam Terry.

Davis has been one of Smith's most questionable draft picks, failing to live up to his billing as the team's first-round pick in 2007. Davis had 21 catches for 259 yards and one touchdown this season. He started one game and was inactive for Sunday's 33-25 victory against Tennessee.

His four-season totals are 51 catches for 558 yards and two touchdowns. He has played in only 26 games, 14 coming in his rookie season, with two starts.

He also was placed on IR in 2008 after playing in just four games, and played in only one game last season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Wow! And I thought AJ was supposed to be a personnel guru? I guess McD ISN'T the only one that makes boo-boo's after all? :laugh:

rcsodak
11-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Bring him in for a workout . . . :whoknows:

-----

That's the problem, though. Teams are having to pick him up, sight unseen. If he comes in and stinks the place up, or is still recuperating,they're stuck with him and his contract unless somebody else will take him.

Lancane
11-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Too late now, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Bills have claimed him off waivers.

Krugan
11-03-2010, 11:09 PM
That's the problem, though. Teams are having to pick him up, sight unseen. If he comes in and stinks the place up, or is still recuperating,they're stuck with him and his contract unless somebody else will take him.

We traded for Maroney, who had been out with a hip, sight unseen, and that cost us a pick.

would rather take a shot at a waiver wire guy.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
11-04-2010, 10:32 PM
We traded for Maroney, who had been out with a hip, sight unseen, and that cost us a pick.

would rather take a shot at a waiver wire guy.

I'm not ready to fully dismiss the Maroney trade as a failure yet

Krugan
11-05-2010, 08:52 AM
I'm not ready to fully dismiss the Maroney trade as a failure yet

You could be right, considering noone can run right now.

we may have a couple decent backs, if the Oline ever starts producing.

atwater27
11-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Regarding the title of this thread.....

Yeah no.