PDA

View Full Version : Paige: Either here or there, Broncos are rubbish

Lancane
11-01-2010, 05:06 AM
Paige: Either here or there, Broncos are rubbish
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/01/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

LONDON — To the British, the Broncos were rubbish.

In Colorado, the Broncos must be trashed once more after a fourth consecutive defeat.

On Sunday night in the UK, the 49ers, who were playing not to lose, beat the Broncos, who keep playing not to win.

Wembley, meet Wobbly. God Save the Queen, but the Broncos can't save themselves.

Two touchdowns were invalidated by penalties — one on a chop block in the backfield, another on an illegal block in the back. The final drive was quashed by a Kyle Orton interception. Orton fumbled on a scramble at his 18-yard line to set up a 49ers touchdown.

Other offensive possessions were fouled by illegal formation, delay of game, offensive pass interference and false start. There were two pathetic punts of 20 and 21 yards, a shanked, missed extra point, a defender who fell down without assistance on an option touchdown run and a lot of court-jesters-in-silly- hats nonsense.

Josh McDaniels must absorb the brunt of the blame — for bringing his Jet-lugs to London late, for failing to figure out how to get his team to score a touchdown — or even one field goal — in the first quarter for the seventh game in eight, for not having his team ready to play against the insipid 1-6 49ers, for pitiful play-calling and for biting his nails in the first and fourth quarters when it was still a nail-biter.

McDaniels talked afterward about how hard the players will work to improve during the upcoming bye week.

I asked if he would look at himself (presumably in a mirror) as a head coach and what he will do. "There's a lot of things I can look at. And I'm not going to sit here and list 100 things yet, either. I'm going to take a look at what we're doing as a staff, what I'm doing, anything I can do better. I'll certainly make the effort to do that."

I don't have room — it would take one the size of Buckingham Palace — to list all the things wrong with McDaniels and the Broncos, but No. 1 is the lack of discipline, attention to detail, toughness and intelligence shown during the game — and those qualities, or lack thereof, are a reflection of the coach. Stupid is as stupid is coached. Where's Winston Churchill when you need leadership?

There can be few excuses for a team losing at halftime on a soccer field by a soccer score — 3-nil — when the 49ers are using their third-string quarterback and obviously have ordered him not to attempt a pass of longer than 3 yards, and the Broncos can't stop the run — as usual.

When mad dogs and Englishmen who don't see the NFL in person regularly know that the 49ers are coming with a full-scale blitz (forgive me, British) every time on third down, putting Orton in harm's way, why can't they come up with a countermeasure?

What in the name of Oliver Cromwell is going on here?

McDaniels sends in a flea-flicker that produces what apparently is a 38-yard touchdown pass and a 14-3 Broncos lead late in the third quarter, but running back Knowshon Moreno, who did the flea-flickering, is penalized for an unacceptable chop block.

There are three possibilities: (A), the officials called it wrong. McDaniels wouldn't take the bait when I threw him a line. "I'm not sure I should say much here. I'm not sure it was (a penalty) in my interpretation of the rule." (B), the Broncos don't coach the block properly. (C), Moreno
Submit Your Question

Post sports columnist Woody Paige fields your questions. Look for Woody's Mailbag on Thursdays.
didn't execute the block legally.

"I think it was a critical portion of the game. To take a 14-point lead there in the second half, I think that would have been a big thing in a game that was as tight as this was for as long as it was," McDaniels said.

But there was only one possibility when Jarvis Moss fired a block into the back of a San Francisco player on a 78-yard punt return for a touchdown that was brought back late in the game. It was illegal, illogical and ill.

On the interception that ended the Broncos' hopes, either Jabar Gaffney was supposed to pull up or Orton was supposed to throw farther.

The Broncos are mistakes wrapped in blunders inside gaffes.

Linebacker Mario Haggan said, "We understand we have another game in two weeks, and we still have an opportunity to win our division."

Well, that is another way of looking at it.

However, winning one game on some continent would be nice. How about Antarctica?

Orton had another record kind of game passing the football — with 369 yards — but he did have an interception and a fumble, and the Broncos are 10-13 when he has started, and they are now 4-14 since the last bye week a year ago.

The quarterback had loved the UK before — and planned to wear an English scarf to his postgame presser. But Orton didn't make it out of the trainer's room with his damaged ribs.Tim Tebow — the designated first-and-goal rusher — warmed up and gave the entire fish-and-chips crowd hope — but Orton went back out.

"Rubbish," a man in his Sesame Street Oscar The Grouch Halloween costume shouted.

The Broncos are such a waste.

I have to wonder when Bowlen will finally speak up and say anything to anyone!

SoCalImport
11-01-2010, 05:17 AM
I have to wonder when Bowlen will finally speak up and say anything to anyone!

What would you have him say?
Pat has been good enough to make statements to the press for the benefit of the fans.
I just can't see this being one of those times.

HORSEPOWER 56
11-01-2010, 06:43 AM
I know that Paige isn't very well liked, especially here, but it's hard to argue with this article. Normally Woody is a drama queen, but right now it actually fits our current situation.

Nomad
11-01-2010, 07:18 AM
BRONCOS are 0-4 against division opponents in the last 4 games and the last 3, the BRONCOS have been dismantled by the Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs!! Chiefs are coming to town in 2 weeks, McDaniels has 2 WEEKS to prepare for the Chiefs at Mile High and if the BRONCOS get dismantled again then McDaniels needs to be fired after the game! I've been patient enough but the bleeding has to stop and if Bowlen can't see this then he needs to go as the owner. And if he doesn't do anything about it, I don't blame season ticket holders for not renewing because of the amount of money being paid for such a shitty product!

As the injury excuse is BS in some eyes, the rebuilding excuse is too! If that's the case, then Bowlen should cut prices in half until the real product gets on the field!

HORSEPOWER 56
11-01-2010, 07:48 AM
We've become the league's "rebound game".

This should be our newest Broncos advertisement:

Having problems winning games? Does your team lack confidence, talent and/or discipline? If your team is struggling, play the Denver Broncos for an instant confidence boost and immediate turnaround! 3rd string QBs are okay, too! We guarantee that we will not be underperformed! We won't even sack your QB! Your RBs and O-line are almost guaranteed to put up pro-bowl worthy numbers!

Worried about the coin toss going against you? Don't worry, we promise not score in the 1st quarter... ever! Worried about turning the ball over? Don't be, our offense can't score in the redzone, anyway. Worried about being behind in the 4th quarter? Don't be! We will ensure that penalties and turnovers abound so you will have no problem re-taking the lead. We'll also ensure that if we are driving for a game tying/winning score that we'll turn the ball over at the worst possible time for us!

Come on down to Invesco and take advantage of this limited time offer!*

*Disclaimer: Offer only valid for a limited time while Josh McDaniels is the head coach*

camdisco24
11-01-2010, 08:33 AM
I have to agree with the whole article. Nothing positive can be said about this team right now, and it truly does fall on the head coach.

I'm a little confused about one part though... Woody wrote it was McDs fault "for bringing his Jet-lugs to London late"... What does that mean? Did we not get there when we we're supposed to? Or am I just confused....

Mike
11-01-2010, 08:42 AM
I have to agree with the whole article. Nothing positive can be said about this team right now, and it truly does fall on the head coach.

I'm a little confused about one part though... Woody wrote it was McDs fault "for bringing his Jet-lugs to London late"... What does that mean? Did we not get there when we we're supposed to? Or am I just confused....

The Broncos decided to fly to England late in the week, the 49ers went early in the week.

Dzone
11-01-2010, 08:49 AM
"Josh McDaniels must absorb the brunt of the blame — for bringing his Jet-lugs to London late, for failing to figure out how to get his team to score a touchdown — or even one field goal — in the first quarter for the seventh game in eight, for not having his team ready to play against the insipid 1-6 49ers, for pitiful play-calling and for biting his nails in the first and fourth quarters when it was still a nail-biter."

My gawd, you mean Mcdaniels is still chewing his nails on the sideline? Geezo...well thats what happens when you hire a little kid to run the franchise...The kid needs seasoning..he needs maturity..he needs experience, but NOT at our expense...

Ya, watch Mcdaniels go on to win a super bowl with another team, after he uses us to get experience and learn how to lead a team.

SOCALORADO.
11-01-2010, 09:15 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/grudenledecomjpg-b593cb2a2b736c03_large.jpg

GEM
11-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Wish I could, but can't say I disagree with Woody. I'm not on the bash everyone gig, but I can't stick up for the guy anymore.

broncofaninfla
11-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Hard to argue this. Denver has picked up where they left off last year, as the worst team in the AFC West, not exactly progress.

horsepig
11-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Possibly the worst team in the league right now.

broncofaninfla
11-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Possibly the worst team in the league right now.

It's sad, I've been a hard core fan since 77 and this is the worst Denver team I've seen. Looking at the schedule, I don't know when our next win will come.

Northman
11-01-2010, 10:34 AM
This one says it all for me. If we could even just fix this one portion we would be THAT much better. Ugh.

but No. 1 is the lack of discipline, attention to detail, toughness and intelligence shown during the game

SOCALORADO.
11-01-2010, 10:52 AM
This one says it all for me. If we could even just fix this one portion we would be THAT much better. Ugh.

http://www.tampabay.com/multimedia/archive/00043/c4s_jonGruden032907_43316c.jpeg

Lancane
11-01-2010, 11:31 AM
What would you have him say?
Pat has been good enough to make statements to the press for the benefit of the fans.
I just can't see this being one of those times.

Something, anything...the majority of the fans have turned on the coach, but it's starting to flow over and some are turning on Bowlen, screaming for him to sale the team if he can not handle it.

Since hiring McDaniels, Bowlen has been called senile, nuts, clueless and more. His choice in Head Coach has traded a Pro-Bowl Quarterback and Receiver, Lied openly about his shopping players, traded fan favorites and so on...and even with all that, all the players he wanted and all the promises his coach has made, the product does not match up...and now he's not just disturbed in the head, but not a good owner!

Broncolingus
11-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Not much support for McD (or any of the Bronco's for that matter) in Mr. Woodrow's article there...

...of course, at this point, how could there be?

KC should kill us coming off the bye...

...Charles may just run for 400 yards in that game...:D

T.K.O.
11-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Dear McD,
it's time to start another 6 game winning streak !
sincerely,
broncos fans
:salute:

SOCALORADO.
11-01-2010, 12:19 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1OMiSrEJXnY/R1Qt_jC9anI/AAAAAAAAE4k/0rfXdqP2aAs/s400/gruden+screamsJM.jpg

rcsodak
11-01-2010, 01:14 PM
I know that Paige isn't very well liked, especially here, but it's hard to argue with this article. Normally Woody is a drama queen, but right now it actually fits our current situation.
LMAO! When he agrees wiith you, he's a genius. When he doesn't, he's a hack.

:lol:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

silkamilkamonico
11-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Not much support for McD (or any of the Bronco's for that matter) in Mr. Woodrow's article there...

I haven't seen Woody praise Denver since 2005. At least, every single article here that gets posted is a slam on Denver. I am not sure if he was a Plunger worshipper, but he hated Cutler, and Shanahan for making that switch, and it's carried through ever since.

I don't necesarily disagree with him here, but if there's one thing you can count on from Paige, it's dancing on Denver's grave.

Slick
11-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I would let that guy cook the meal Socal, but I wouldn't let him buy the groceries.

SOCALORADO.
11-01-2010, 04:54 PM
I would let that guy cook the meal Socal, but I wouldn't let him buy the groceries.

Hows this?

Bring in this guy to be the GM.
(Or like The Dave said, Shottenheimer)
Vincent Newsome is in his second year as the team’s director of pro personnel, following a promotion in 2009. Newsome oversees the team’s pro scouting efforts, including evaluating NFL free agent talent, providing the coaching staff with advance scouting reports of upcoming opponents and conducting free agent workouts throughout the year. He works closely with GM Ozzie Newsome in analyzing NFL rosters, reviewing the NFL waiver wire daily, and coordinating and evaluating each year’s free agency market. Newsome also works with VP of football administration Pat Moriarty in providing background on players, specificially to assess their talent level and decide a salary cap value. In 2008, he served on the eight-member committee to interview and select Ravens head coach John Harbaugh. Newsome originally joined the franchise’s personnel department in 1993, following a 10-year career as a safety in the NFL.

1996-2009: (with Baltimore) 2009: Was named the Ravens’ director of pro personnel in January...Assisted GM Ozzie Newsome in evaluating and acquiring free agents C Matt Birk (six-time Pro Bowler), RS Chris Carr, CB Domonique Foxworth and TE L.J. Smith. 2003-08: Was the team’s assistant director of pro personnel for six years, handling advance scouting of Ravens seasonal opponents, as well as evaluating talent in the CFL...Newsome conducted free agent workouts during the regular season and assisted the college scouting staff by evaluating college talent for the NFL Draft...Baltimore secured a number of key free agents, including threetime Pro Bowler Brendon Ayanbadejo and vital utility CB Frank Walker.

2000-02: Was the Ravens’ western college supervisor, covering players from California to Wisconsin.

1996-99: Became the Ravens’ West area scout upon the team’s move to Baltimore...Over the years, key acquisitions from Newsome’s scouting area have had success and are recognized leaguewide, including Pro Bowlers T Jonathan Ogden, CB Chris McAlister, TE Todd Heap and 2003 Defensive Rookie of the Year LB Terrell Suggs.

1993-95: (with Cleveland) Spent three years as a special assignment scout evaluating skill positions nationally...Joined the Browns’ personnel department after retiring from the NFL in the spring of 1993.

NFL Player: Was a standout safety for the Los Angeles Rams and Cleveland Browns...His 10-year career totals include 763 tackles (526 solo), four sacks, 62 PD, 17 INTs, seven FFs and nine FRs...Led the Rams in tackles his last two seasons...Was honored by his Rams teammates in 1989 with the Ed Block Courage Award...In 1985, was both the Rams’ Special Teams Player of the Year and a Sports Illustrated All-Pro as a safety...Was originally a fourth-round draft selection by the Rams in 1983.

Vince buys the groceries, and Chucky cooks.

Dean
11-01-2010, 06:40 PM

Aren't those the kind of players that McD said he was bringing in when asked about the players he was releasing last year?:confused:

Shazam!
11-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Linebacker Mario Haggan said, "We understand we have another game in two weeks, and we still have an opportunity to win our division."

HOW ******* DARE YOU?!?!

I can't stomach what is becoming of our beloved team.

Other than Dallas there is no team that is worse. Even the Bills are playing harder, better ball. I don't care about KO's numbers. This shit is nauseating.

Gimpygod
11-02-2010, 10:38 AM
:salute: Your finest work sir!:salute::laugh:

We've become the league's "rebound game".

This should be our newest Broncos advertisement:

Having problems winning games? Does your team lack confidence, talent and/or discipline? If your team is struggling, play the Denver Broncos for an instant confidence boost and immediate turnaround! 3rd string QBs are okay, too! We guarantee that we will not be underperformed! We won't even sack your QB! Your RBs and O-line are almost guaranteed to put up pro-bowl worthy numbers!

Worried about the coin toss going against you? Don't worry, we promise not score in the 1st quarter... ever! Worried about turning the ball over? Don't be, our offense can't score in the redzone, anyway. Worried about being behind in the 4th quarter? Don't be! We will ensure that penalties and turnovers abound so you will have no problem re-taking the lead. We'll also ensure that if we are driving for a game tying/winning score that we'll turn the ball over at the worst possible time for us!

Come on down to Invesco and take advantage of this limited time offer!*

*Disclaimer: Offer only valid for a limited time while Josh McDaniels is the head coach*