PDA

View Full Version : Three Observations: 49ers 24, Broncos 16

Denver Native (Carol)
10-31-2010, 07:46 PM
http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/10/31/three-observations-49ers-24-broncos-16/

LONDON – Three observations from the Broncos’ 24-16 loss to the San Francisco 49ers at Wembley Stadium on Sunday:

1. PENALTIES, PENALTIES, PENALTIES.

It starts with the two touchdowns that were called back because of infractions. And while Knowshon Moreno’s third-quarter chop block to nullify a 38-yard flea-flicker touchdown pass to Jabar Gaffney was a call that could stir some debate, the illegal block against Jarvis Moss that took away Eddie Royal’s 78-yard punt return up the right sideline was not.

But once again, the Broncos put themselves behind on first downs. One-third of their possessions (four out of 12) began with penalties, and the Broncos have now amassed at least 60 yards of infractions in six consecutive games.

“We haven’t been the team that makes the plays that counts; we’ve been the team to make penalties and give up things,” safety Brian Dawkins said. “We have to be that other team.

For the record, referee Scott Green explained why he felt Moreno committed a chop block.

“The call was made because after the running back pitched the ball back, he went low at the same time that the offensive lineman still had a hand on the defensive player,” Green said. “That’s a high-low block and that’s a chop block.”

2. NO LATE-GAME MAGIC:

Quarterback Kyle Orton will likely receive some flak from the team’s inability to execute a last-minute comeback, since this is the third potential game-tying or -winning drive to peter out with a giveaway the last eight weeks. It’s unfair to pin it solely on him; the fumble against the New York Jets was caused by an errant J.D. Walton snap, and he spent the last drive Sunday as he did most of the game: under siege from a 49ers pass rush that brought defenders from all sides and angles.

On the errant pass that 49ers cornerback Shawntae Spencer intercepted to end Denver’s hopes, the Broncos faced a six-man rush — unusual for a defense in that situation, but not for the 49ers, who found success by overloading the pass rush and forcing Orton to make rapid decisions.

For the most part, Orton stood up under the rush; he threw for 369 yards in spite of being hit five times and sacked four. But pressure forced a pair of turnovers: the Spencer interception and a strip-fumble earlier in the fourth quarter. He has now accounted for four turnovers the last two weeks and five in the last three.

Orton was also left hurting after absorbing a hit from Manny Lawson in the third quarter. Orton was examined on the field and sideline and returned, but was so close to being forced from the game that Tim Tebow began warming up.

“I know it hurt. I know he’s hurting now,” McDaniels said. “Every time he threw it after that, there was a lot of soreness.”

For all the Broncos, the hurt is emotional as the team sits with its worst midseason record in 11 years. For Orton, it’s physical, too. The hits he’s endured — particularly in the last five games, beginning with Tennessee’s barrage in Week 4 — are beginning to take a toll.

3. GROUND UP ONCE AGAIN:

Denver started the game looking to run first, running on five of its first eight plays. But the typical run-pass imbalance returned, with the Broncos running on just 12 of their final 55 plays as the ground game bogged down, finishing with 3.5 yards per carry. Denver’s only two fourth-quarter runs came on quarterback keepers. The Broncos have allowed more than twice as many rushing yards (1,237) as they’ve gained (538), and only two other teams since 2000 have a larger discrepancy after eight games: the 2002 Seahawks and the 2008 Lions.

Denver’s attempts to establish the run slowed the pace of the first game, but realistically, it’s something the Broncos must continue to do — especially as teams continue to attack Orton without hesitation.

Northman
10-31-2010, 07:51 PM
Good obsverations, all of these have been a problem for a while now.

Ravage!!!
10-31-2010, 11:47 PM
wow..the worst since the 0-16 Detroit Lions. Awesome.

topscribe
11-01-2010, 12:43 AM
They better figure out a way to run the damned ball because they're ruining Orton . . .

-----

Northman
11-01-2010, 12:45 AM
They better figure out a way to run the damned ball because they're ruining Orton . . .

-----

He threw for 350. He doesnt seem to be slowing down in that dept. I know he took a good hit in the game but he's tough as nails.

silkamilkamonico
11-01-2010, 12:49 AM
That chop block was the right call. Reminds me of that pass interference against the Jets, just an unfortunate incident that has to be called, and happened on 2 huge plays.

When it rains, it pours in Broncoland.

Canmore
11-01-2010, 12:55 AM
That chop block was the right call. Reminds me of that pass interference against the Jets, just an unfortunate incident that has to be called, and happened on 2 huge plays.

And the hits just keep on rolling. Unfortunately for the Broncos, it seems to be all uphill.

topscribe
11-01-2010, 01:06 AM
He threw for 350. He doesnt seem to be slowing down in that dept. I know he took a good hit in the game but he's tough as nails.

369 to be exact. But he left after the game without talking to anybody. Just split.
That's not like him. I don't know what to make of that . . .

-----

silkamilkamonico
11-01-2010, 01:21 AM
369 to be exact. But he left after the game without talking to anybody. Just split.

-----

I personally think he's just feeling a lot of heat and pressure. The guys doing everything he can on the field, but the team just isn't good enough to get it done right now, offensively/defensively. He knows Tebow is breathing down his neck, and right now it just isn't working for Denver as a team.

I don't think Orton has done anything to be pulled. But I do think, considering the circumstances of Denver not winning and him playing a position that is always in the limelight with a first round pick backing him up, he knows he will probably be the first impacting change made if the organization continues to falter (if not already). Sucks and it isn't fair to him, but I do think that's the reality of his situation.

Ravage!!!
11-01-2010, 01:45 AM

The call is right. I think.. THINK... Ryan had ONE call against him in '08 where the RB cut the rushing DL, and when the DL fell forward, he put his hands on Clady (who was standing a bit back).... so even though the DL was not engaged when the RB cut, the fact that his hands THENwent to the OL and the RB was low, is technically a chop. Same with this situation. But I THINK that was either the ONLy call, or one of just the very few against Clady that season.

Broncos Mtnman
11-01-2010, 01:49 AM

-----

Should be fined. NFL rules say you have to make yourself available to the press.

League fined Randy Moss last week for doing the same thing.

Besides that, it's a cop-out. Man up and face the music.

:coffee:

topscribe
11-01-2010, 01:55 AM
Should be fined. NFL rules say you have to make yourself available to the press.

League fined Randy Moss last week for doing the same thing.

Besides that, it's a cop-out. Man up and face the music.

Well, technically, perhaps he should be fined.

However, I'm not going to judge him because I don't know the whole story.

Do you?

-----

BroncoStud
11-01-2010, 04:10 AM
I'm sure we'll know something about it this week... I bet Kyle is a good guy and it sucks that he's in this situation. It's really lose-lose for him. I bet a team like Arizona or Dallas would love to have him right now.

I think that as Denver fans we are just spoiled having been blessed to watch Elway work magic for so long. I know that I didn't even doubt winning when the game was on the line and the ball was in his hands.

Orton isn't that sort of talent but he has made the most of his own talents. The front office did him not favors when they drafted Tebow.

Dzone
11-01-2010, 04:25 AM
Moss block in the back was NOT flagrant and almost makes you wonder about that whole blocking in the back rule. The guy was coming straight at moss and just before they hit, the guy turned his back to moss and moss was unable to prevent making contact with the guys back. He barely touched the guy. It was a ticky tack call. The Moreno call was also bunk. Even Dan Dierdrof thought it was lame. So we got screwed out of two touchdowns. Not making excuses for the Broncos crappy coaching. Just saying.

Dzone
11-01-2010, 04:35 AM
Maybe Orton knew that the british press was going to be there asking really stupid questions, so he split. Can hardly blame him for that...lol

Dean
11-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Just guessing like everyone else, but I imagine he went to the training room to get treatment on his ribs. Local anaesthetic can work wonders.

BroncoStud
11-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Moss block in the back was NOT flagrant and almost makes you wonder about that whole blocking in the back rule. The guy was coming straight at moss and just before they hit, the guy turned his back to moss and moss was unable to prevent making contact with the guys back. He barely touched the guy. It was a ticky tack call. The Moreno call was also bunk. Even Dan Dierdrof thought it was lame. So we got screwed out of two touchdowns. Not making excuses for the Broncos crappy coaching. Just saying.

It's still a penalty. It was obvious and right in front of the official. Why do it? Eddie was already around him, the defender had no shot at him, so Moss threw a pointless block right in someone's back...

Moss needs to be cut, he is absolutely worthless as a football player.

dunk7
11-01-2010, 09:43 AM
The thing that upset me the most about this game (other than the chop block penalty, which I didn't think was intentional) was the fourth down gamble by San Fran on the 3 yard line. It was an absolutely idiotic call by San Fan...up a TD with ~4:00min left. They kick an FG and the game is over. If we could have stopped them...

You know this team is bad when we can't beat one of the worst teams in the league with their backup QB and can't make a simple extra point...:-(

Broncolingus
11-01-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm going to get run off for saying this so many times over the next few weeks, but if you want to win in the NFL, you've got to 1) be able to run the ball and 2) stop the run...(and you could put pressure the QB in there as a 3rd methinks too).

...sure, there are exceptions to that from time-to-time, but generally, if you want to be winning Divisions and in the playoffs, that's something a team must be able to go with some regularity.

...and those are the EXACT things that Denver can not (and is not) do regularly now week in and week out.

JMO...

Denver Native (Carol)
11-01-2010, 09:58 AM

Do you?

-----

AND - just possibly he was getting treatment - or was hurting to the point that he did not feel like talking to the press????

http://twitter.com/viclombardi

McD said Orton played hurt after taking that nasty hit to the sternum. Lot of soreness. about 15 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

topscribe
11-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Just guessing like everyone else, but I imagine he went to the training room to get treatment on his ribs. Local anaesthetic can work wonders.

AND - just possibly he was getting treatment - or was hurting to the point that he did not feel like talking to the press????

http://twitter.com/viclombardi

McD said Orton played hurt after taking that nasty hit to the sternum. Lot of soreness. about 15 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Thank you. This possibility is why I withheld judgment . . .

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
11-01-2010, 10:21 AM

You are absolutely correct, according to Lindsay Jones:

http://twitter.com/postbroncos

# Josh said Orton was very sore. Played rest of 2nd half in significant pain. RT @303EDEN: any news on the health of Kyle Orton? 7 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# Kyle Orton did not speak to reporters after the game (as far as I know). Straight to the training room instead of his normal presser. about 3 hours ago via TweetDeck

Northman
11-01-2010, 10:24 AM

-----

Probably frustrated. Cant really blame him.

Northman
11-01-2010, 10:27 AM

Do you?

-----

Yea, ive always hated that rule personally. As bad as Ryan Leaf was it was pretty expected he would have a blowup in the lockerroom with all the pressure that was on him and the media knew that and used it against him. Its the life of a NFL player but i think its common sense that players get frustrated and angry when they lose a game or arent performing to their own expectations.

Elevation inc
11-01-2010, 01:49 PM
when the **** is moss going to get cut????? seriously this is one of the stupidest decisions ever to keep him here.....im so tired of how horrible he is.....

Lonestar
11-01-2010, 02:51 PM

I think it is Monsoon season.

Do you?

-----

I would imagine it was more treatment than not wanting to chit chat.

Just guessing like everyone else, but I imagine he went to the training room to get treatment on his ribs. Local anesthetic can work wonders.

I was thinking Jack would work also.

Lonestar
11-01-2010, 02:53 PM
when the **** is moss going to get cut????? seriously this is one of the stupidest decisions ever to keep him here.....im so tired of how horrible he is.....

I often wondered why he is still with the team I do not recall seeing him in on any tackles, hits, or harassment's since becoming an OLB.

Perhaps it is just because Doom and Ayers are out. no one else left in the cup board.

topscribe
11-01-2010, 03:07 PM
I often wondered why he is still with the team I do not recall seeing him in on any tackles, hits, or harassment's since becoming an OLB.

Perhaps it is just because Doom and Ayers are out. no one else left in the cup board.

That is what I was thinking yesterday. The only time in the entire game I heard
Moss' name was when he pulled that illegal block that cost the Broncos Eddie
Royal's TD. Moss is supposed to be a pass rusher. If a pass rusher is worth his
salt, you hear his name once in a while, don't you?

-----

Broncolingus
11-01-2010, 03:27 PM
(ref Orton)...maybe he was off 'rollin DOOBIES!'

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWxYCQp4lzqY0Bzp0Pwy5H8QCddWwEg MrGGHqYlz6NhsYHaAc&t=1&usg=__GRloY4rEisSF1ZMNTF9c088lZEQ=

Ravage!!!
11-01-2010, 03:29 PM
He's probably still on the team because he's just better then the depth we have.

The block was obviously a foul, but a block in the back happens on almost EVERY punt return we see, THROUGHOUT the NFL. Plus, I honestly dont' think Royal gets past the guy that Moss blocked.. without the block. :whoknows:

I have absolutely no "love" for Moss whatsoever. He being on this team or not being on this team doesn't effect me in the least. But I do think the guy is getting a much larger 'rap' than what is deserved for the block.

arapaho2
11-01-2010, 03:48 PM

two bad his massive passing yards are'nt leading to points

Day1BroncoFan
11-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I would like to see Orton come through at least once this year when we need him... and forget jarvis moss.

Krugan
11-01-2010, 04:06 PM
It would be nice if the O line would come thru once in awhile too.

Or the play calling to start a game would generate some points.

Or the D could hold someone under 20 points.

Whole lot of would be nices for this team.

arapaho2
11-01-2010, 04:23 PM

the defense did what it could considering they held the 9rs to 3 points the entire first half while the bronco offense had 5 punts

Krugan
11-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Then gave up 21 points in 8 minutes.

A dominant defence this is not.

Day1BroncoFan
11-01-2010, 04:43 PM

So would I. ;)