PDA

View Full Version : So, Phonz has 4 INT's for the Lions this year

Northman
10-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Is this yet another fubar by McDaniels giving up on him too soon?

Krugan
10-31-2010, 03:34 PM
I dont think so, im pretty sure he wouldnt have been able to do anything here.

Detroit is building a good dline, and actually get pressure. Here, well you saw it today.

Another words, he should be thankful that we moved him to someplace that is at least attempting to build a defense...

Denver Native (Carol)
10-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Hard to say - if I remember correctly, the consensus on this board was that the Broncos should not have drafted him in the first place.

Northman
10-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Hard to say - if I remember correctly, the consensus on this board was that the Broncos should not have drafted him in the first place.

True dat, but we arent there and seeing the players everyday. But, it looks like the kid took the trade personally and stepped up his game.

silkamilkamonico
10-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Smith was utter garbage in Denver. Why cut a young talent that deserved to make the roster and not trade Smith you did not deserve to make it. What he's doing in Detroit is irrelevant.

UrbanBounca
10-31-2010, 03:37 PM
No, Alphonso openly admitted that he was burnt out in Denver. I wish him luck elsewhere.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-31-2010, 03:44 PM
True dat, but we arent there and seeing the players everyday. But, it looks like the kid took the trade personally and stepped up his game.

Or, Detroit was very thin in that area - I don't know.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
10-31-2010, 03:45 PM
He's gone why dwell on it? You can't bring him back.

silkamilkamonico
10-31-2010, 03:46 PM

He certainly isn't going to make our secondary any better, that's for sure.

Northman
10-31-2010, 04:04 PM

Your ruining my thread, go away. :lol:

scott.475
10-31-2010, 04:09 PM
The only reason I have interest in this is: did he suddenly acquire new talent after the trade, or could it be that he was being poorly coached here, not taking full advantage of his talent? We still have the same coaching staff in place, sooooo....

Northman
10-31-2010, 04:10 PM
Having beasts like Vandenbosch and Suh on the line helps a lot. But, McD is responsible for fixing the Dline issues so thats on him if the DB's cant cover for 5 minutes.

broncobryce
10-31-2010, 04:44 PM

You mean shanahan and company are not coming back? I guess I will go kill myself. ;)

claymore
10-31-2010, 04:47 PM

Because the people that over paid for him, then gave up on him are still here.

When they are gone I think it will be a wash.

cuzz4169
10-31-2010, 04:49 PM
We picked Zane beadles 4 picks in front of Taylor Mays on draft day...Mays looked pretty good seemed to be all over the field around the ball...yes he got beat once...but i watched beatles get beat a lot.

And I agree you trade up to draft smith then you give up on him after a year that is horrible coaching. We have a beast pass rusher doom so dont say bc he has a line and a pass rush thats the only reason in detroit...the kid was a play maker in college and is doing it now in detroit after our coaches didnt coach and gave up Waaaay to early.....who has more upside him or moss? moss is still on team tells me our coaches dont know jack $#^t...if moss gets cut i bet hes not a player on another team...

Dzone
10-31-2010, 04:56 PM
Mcdainiels cant be counted on to make sound coaching decisions. His blunders far outweigh his accomplishments...nobody can really argue otherwise

getlynched47
10-31-2010, 05:00 PM
They gave up too early. Ridiculous to invest a 2nd round pick (acquired by giving up a 1st round pick) and then giving up on the player after 1 season. Show's how oblivious to reality Josh McDaniels is. He has no idea what the hell he's doing.

Proof?

4-14 since our 6-0 fluke start. Nuff said :coffee:

Bosco
10-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Is this yet another fubar by McDaniels giving up on him too soon?

Weren't you one of the ones leading the charge to cut bait on him?

(I called this, by the way)

I Eat Staples
10-31-2010, 05:02 PM
We never should have drafted him. Trading a first for a second is unexcusable and proves McD has no clue how the draft works. That was our first fubar, drafting him in the first place.

Having said that, our second fubar was trading him. The huge problem with the trade was who we got for him. Dan ******* Gronkowski. What a joke.

Northman
10-31-2010, 05:02 PM

Indeed, but then again im not running the team so i have no say in player evaluation and patience. :lol:

claymore
10-31-2010, 05:04 PM

I think lots of people called it. Just like they called this franchise taking a nose dive. Its one of the many things that have been "called".

Bosco
10-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Oh and just for the record, no, it wasn't a bad move on McDaniels part. Alphonso himself said that he got complacent here in Denver and getting traded was a wake up call. Much like Peyton Hillis and Mike Williams in Seattle, it sometimes takes those type of wake up calls for someone to reach their potential.

Bosco
10-31-2010, 05:10 PM
Indeed, but then again im not running the team so i have no say in player evaluation and patience. :lol:

No, it just seems pretty damn strange and hypocritical to start calling out the coach over a move you wanted him to make.

Not that I didn't already predict this to happen, but it's still a little surreal.

cuzz4169
10-31-2010, 05:13 PM
Oh and just for the record, no, it wasn't a bad move on McDaniels part. Alphonso himself said that he got complacent here in Denver and getting traded was a wake up call. Much like Peyton Hillis and Mike Williams in Seattle, it sometimes takes those type of wake up calls for someone to reach their potential.

The kid was in the league ONE YEAR!!! thats a bs excuse...players say what people want to hear...th best is when shaq and ray lewis always say im in the best shape of my life this year. hahahaha yea right...better shape then when you where 25 c'mon man.

Northman
10-31-2010, 05:13 PM
No, it just seems pretty damn strange and hypocritical to start calling out the coach over a move you wanted him to make.

Not that I didn't already predict this to happen, but it's still a little surreal.

Im not calling him out on anything. Read the original post again, it was a question about the move. It doesnt matter what ANYBODY on this forum says at the end of the day whatever moves are made are made by McDaniels. But the question was did he give up on him too soon.

Bosco
10-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Im not calling him out on anything. Read the original post again, it was a question about the move. It doesnt matter what ANYBODY on this forum says at the end of the day whatever moves are made are made by McDaniels. But the question was did he give up on him too soon.

I read your post perfectly. I've also seen your posts today stating that McD is "clueless" on personnel moves, so the way I see it you're either clueless yourself for calling for Smith to be cut or maybe, just maybe, things aren't so black and white.

I can't emphasis enough though how none of this is shocking. I saw it coming from a mile away and said as much on these forums when the trade initially went down. Losing makes people pretty predictable.

Northman
10-31-2010, 05:38 PM
I read your post perfectly. I've also seen your posts today stating that McD is "clueless" on personnel moves, so the way I see it you're either clueless yourself for calling for Smith to be cut or maybe, just maybe, things aren't so black and white.

I can't emphasis enough though how none of this is shocking. I saw it coming from a mile away and said as much on these forums when the trade initially went down. Losing makes people pretty predictable.

So let me get this straight. You know what your talking about (even though its just an opinion) but nobody else on here does? Am i getting that right? Yes, i think McD is a terrible GM and his moves are VERY questionable in all regards. I can say this, i saw this team plummeting coming from a mile away so does this mean i know more than you? I guess so going by your logic.

Bosco
10-31-2010, 05:53 PM
So let me get this straight. You know what your talking about Pretty much. I spent a good portion of preseason listening to people like you tell us that Smith didn't have what it takes to be an NFL cornerback, and now that he's actually doing it I'm having to sit here and listen to you people complain because Josh did exactly what you wanted him to do. Meanwhile you can go dig up any post of mine regarding Smith where I was explaining to you people the exact attributes that make him look so promising now.

That's not the bad part though. It's the complete lack of ability to admit you blew a call that makes me laugh. Sure, you could make a case that Josh should have held onto him but rather than being a man and stepping up to the plate to take the lumps that rightfully belong to you as well, you throw up the bullshit cop out of "I'm just a clueless fan, HE should have known better".

Such is life though. Fan orientated message boards are breeding grounds for the ivory tower attitude. I've come to accept it.

Northman
10-31-2010, 05:55 PM
I think your full of BS personally. I just had to be sure. \m/

I Eat Staples
10-31-2010, 06:02 PM

But this is the thing: I don't criticize McD for trading Smith, I criticize him for who he traded him for. Do you honestly think trading a player we used a first round pick on after one year for Dan Gronkowski, a seventh round pick TE, is worth it? You don't think McD should have gotten more for Smith? The way I look at it, we released him. Gronkowski is no compensation.

Watchthemiddle
10-31-2010, 06:29 PM
I dont think so, im pretty sure he wouldnt have been able to do anything here.

Detroit is building a good dline, and actually get pressure. Here, well you saw it today.

Another words, he should be thankful that we moved him to someplace that is at least attempting to build a defense...

Agree....a great D-line can make a mediocre DB look like a pro-bowler.

jhildebrand
11-01-2010, 09:40 AM
One move I dont fault McD for is shipping Alphonso off. He was beaten out by an UDFA and a late pick. This year he didn't lool like he even belonged.

The change of secenery worked for him. Good for him. It was clear he wasn't going to do anything here.

At this point the only fault McD deserves when it comes to Smith is picking him in the first place and giving up what he did especially being short handed going into the draft.

By the way, Detroit also has a D line!

Dzone
11-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Alphonso Smith will probably make the pro bowl...just to add insult to injury...

robert ethan
11-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Having said that, our second fubar was trading him. The huge problem with the trade was who we got for him. Dan ******* Gronkowski. What a joke.

Smith is getting picks because the other teams are throwing at him. The best DBs don't get noticed. It isn't like he's shutting down the oppo passing game or anything. Take a look at the numbers.

Gronkowski is on the verge of winning the starting TE spot, he doubled his season catches last game. That will save the team from having to use a premium draft pick at the position next season.

I wouldn't have made the pick at the draft table, but I have no problem with the trade. That helped both teams (and both players) which is what you look for. Gronk has 6 catches in 7 games with the team. Scheffler had 6 catches after 12 games his first year with the Broncos.

arapaho2
11-01-2010, 03:44 PM

bull.... the concencus was he would have been available later without tradeing a 14th overall pick to get him