PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: McDaniels is safe for this season and next

BroncoWave
10-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Just reported it on Sunday NFL Countdown. The main reason he cited is that Bowlen is still paying Shanahan until 2011 and there is no way Bowlen will be paying 3 different head coaches next season, especially with the current financial climate.

Ravage!!!
10-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah.. saw that and he has a good point. Probably right.

BUT... I remember the Chicago Bears passing on good coaches when they NEEDED new coaching because of the same reasons last year.

Lovie is horrible and they kept him for financial reasons.

So even though we (the Broncos) may be FORCED to keep Josh doesn't really make the question irrelevant. SHOULD he still be here if _________. Being financially "stuck" with him doesn't make anyone more comfortable and/or accepting. Just makes it a little more unsettling in the stomach.

broncobryce
10-31-2010, 10:39 AM
I was listening to Adam's podcast and he said while mistakes where made, he thinks McDaniel's will become a "great coach".
Now, bring on the excuses as to why he's "just saying that."

Ravage!!!
10-31-2010, 10:48 AM
I was listening to Adam's podcast and he said while mistakes where made, he thinks McDaniel's will become a "great coach".
Now, bring on the excuses as to why he's "just saying that."

Why would anyone say "he's just saying that" when he isn't employed by the Broncos? He has the right to his opinion, but it doesn't make it right nor wrong. But its not like he's a part of the Bronco organization and just towing the "company line."

Adam's opinion on how good he believes McD to be, doesn't have any more clout than anyone on this message board. But at the same time, it would be pretty stupid to say something negative about ANY coach, considering his line of work is to get inside information.

Krugan
10-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Im not so sure, even if Bowlen takes it in the shorts, he will put up with 3-13 or 4-12.

Thats a HUGE fall down from what he had before Mcd.

Wouldnt count on him keeping a job if this team continues to fail with record breaking ass beatings.

Italianmobstr7
10-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Good, McD should keep his job through next season. It takes a while to build up a team. It doesn't happen over night. I'm excited to see what we'll do next year in free agency and the draft. McD has made some good moves, some bad. Adding some more talent/depth would be nice. He wants players bigger/faster/stronger. I'd like to see him add some more guys that fit that bill.

Ravage!!!
10-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Im not so sure, even if Bowlen takes it in the shorts, he will put up with 3-13 or 4-12.

Thats a HUGE fall down from what he had before Mcd.

Wouldnt count on him keeping a job if this team continues to fail with record breaking ass beatings.

Thats a good point, too.

What Schefter DIDN'T mention in his prediction, is that if McD is hired by someone else next season, then the salary he earns from THAT team is deducted from what we owe him.... just like Shanahan.

BroncoWave
10-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Thats a good point, too.

What Schefter DIDN'T mention in his prediction, is that if McD is hired by someone else next season, then the salary he earns from THAT team is deducted from what we owe him.... just like Shanahan.

That's a huge if though.

broncofaninfla
10-31-2010, 11:08 AM
I'll find this hard to believe if we finish as one of the top 5 worst teams in the league with no signs of progress. It's time to start winning.............

Ravage!!!
10-31-2010, 11:10 AM
That's a huge if though.

He wouldn't be hired as a HC. I mean, IF he was, I would be stunned :shocked: But I can see him being hired as an OC somewhere.

BroncoBJ
10-31-2010, 11:12 AM
:lol: That is a good point. Damn, that would be wack paying 3 different coaches. But I'm glad. I want McDaniels to have time to develop his team and build us in to winners. Getting a new coach isn't going to solve anything. Because then they will come here with thier system and thier players and we'll take another few years to get going. :fight:

Lonestar
10-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Some of the rational from the haters is off the scope.

IIRC we had a 6-10 season during the emperors reign was there all of this hysteria then?

The likely hood of not winning 5-6 more games this year is almost zero unless the team has massive additions to the IR list of starters.

I could see some changes in the coaching cabal this coming year but Josh is Pats boy. And it was Pats intention to CHANGE to the NE model and knew that it would not be instantous like many here thought. Or like even a few thought he. Would keep mikeys playbook and just work on fixing the D.

None of that was on Pats mind when he hired Josh. Time folks to get used to that.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lonestar
10-31-2010, 11:22 AM
:lol: That is a good point. Damn, that would be wack paying 3 different coaches. But I'm glad. I want McDaniels to have time to develop his team and build us in to winners. Getting a new coach isn't going to solve anything. Because then they will come here with thier system and thier players and we'll take another few years to get going. :fight:

Pat maybe running short of $ but even he knows you do not set the team back again by a change.

We are close in getting the talent needed to get it done.

A line man or three, MLB, and a dominant safety to replace Dawk when he goes. Then some more quality depth and we have a team built for the future.

BroncoBJ
10-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Pat maybe running short of $ but even he knows you do not set the team back again by a change.

We are close in getting the talent needed to get it done.

A line man or three, MLB, and a dominant safety to replace Dawk when he goes. Then some more quality depth and we have a team built for the future.

I just cant wait til the draft again next year. Our offense is set for years for the most part. I want a defensive heavy draft the equivilent of this years offensive draft. We get some good young talent and a few more Free agent aquisitions and we'll be on our way.

Championships wern't built overnight. Some people on here think that you can just fire a coach right away and get instant results. I think Josh will get this team on the right track. I don't want to have another head coach for a while.

Northman
10-31-2010, 11:26 AM

IIRC we had a 6-10 season during the emperors reign was there all of this hysteria then?

He was coming off 2 SB wins, you get more time when you do that.

LordTrychon
10-31-2010, 11:28 AM

The likely hood of not winning 5-6 more games this year is almost zero unless the team has massive additions to the IR list of starters.

I could see some changes in the coaching cabal this coming year but Josh is Pats boy. And it was Pats intention to CHANGE to the NE model and knew that it would not be instantous like many here thought. Or like even a few thought he. Would keep mikeys playbook and just work on fixing the D.

None of that was on Pats mind when he hired Josh. Time folks to get used to that.

:laugh: If we'd won a superbowl twice in the past two years, I'd be more than ok with a 6-10 record this season... especially if we lost three captains.

I Eat Staples
10-31-2010, 11:50 AM
The sad thing is, Schefter is probably right. God, another season and a half with this clown...

cuzz4169
10-31-2010, 11:52 AM
He wants players bigger/faster/stronger.

There are 32 coaches who want that.

Nomad
10-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Maybe Bowlen should look in the mirror!! He seems to be the common denominator since Elway left and the struggles of the Denver BRONCOS!!! I like Bowlen, but some of his decisions and FO/player personnel (other than Cutler) moves have me stratching my head!!

Lonestar
10-31-2010, 12:00 PM

and we all saw how that worked out didn't we. 1 playoff win since them. IIRC

LordTrychon
10-31-2010, 12:05 PM

So... we SHOULD have fired Mike after his 6-10 season? Right after back to back superbowl victories? Is that your argument?

Josh could be in some real trouble then.

Lonestar
10-31-2010, 12:05 PM
:laugh: If we'd won a superbowl twice in the past two years, I'd be more than ok with a 6-10 record this season... especially if we lost three captains.

almost sounds like an excuse that is not allowed in todays standards.

Northman
10-31-2010, 12:06 PM

Point is, you asked why there was no uproar and that was the reason. With McD we havent shown to be any better now dont we?

LordTrychon
10-31-2010, 12:06 PM
almost sounds like an excuse that is not allowed in todays standards.

:laugh: Losing captains to retirement, etc. is a bit different from trading them for the fun of it.

Lancane
10-31-2010, 12:08 PM

Yeah, except the 'Emperor' that you are mentioning at least had proven himself a winner long before that 6-10 season, that includes our two world championships that you seem to act like are nothing.

:coffee:

Lonestar
10-31-2010, 12:08 PM
So... we SHOULD have fired Mike after his 6-10 season? Right after back to back superbowl victories? Is that your argument?

Josh could be in some real trouble then.

Josh is not in trouble as we speak, as for mikey might have been a good time considering he failed the next what 6-7 years to achieve what he considered his goal for the team.

but then mikey is not the topic here is it :focus:

LordTrychon
10-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Josh is not in trouble as we speak, as for mikey might have been a good time considering he failed the next what 6-7 years to achieve what he considered his goal for the team.

but then mikey is not the topic here is it :focus:

Funny... you like to bring him up till the flaws in your logic are pointed out...

Then it's time to get back on topic.

Northman
10-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Funny... you like to bring him up till the flaws in your logic are pointed out...

Absolutely priceless. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

UrbanBounca
10-31-2010, 12:13 PM
In my opinion, he'll get another year. Bowlen has already invested too much in him, regardless of a losing season.

PAINTERDAVE
10-31-2010, 12:17 PM
The uncertainty of the lockout is a huge reason McD will remain.

Bowlen's wanting to see this plan through is huge....

It was his choice to bring im McD,
the Tebow draft,
the McD incarnation of this team....

Bowlen does not want to willy nilly hire HC after HC like chicken little...

Barring repeated absolute catastrophe...
(c'mon, the Raiders blowout is not gonna happen again)

Bowlen will give it time.

turftoad
10-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Lets hope Schefter is wrong.

Lancane
10-31-2010, 12:19 PM
And I don't care what Schefter or anyone else says...but especially him, he has been one of the worst reporting good information since he's left the NFLN, and regarding Denver especially since then. He's not tied to our team, Shanahan was his source here, everyone knows that!

Truth is that if Bowlen figures that McDaniels is going to cost the team more then his salary in a season, he may decide to go ahead and risk it. Especially with an unhappy fanbase...don't forget that Bowlen has a political mind beyond football, Denver fans came together to give the team a new stadium and years of sellout seasons; so no matter what anyone thinks, that will weight on Bowlen's mind with all this as well.

silkamilkamonico
10-31-2010, 12:21 PM
McDaniels ain't goin nowhere after this season. Deal with it.

Lonestar
10-31-2010, 12:22 PM

sometimes you just have to make that call as to not derail the thread even more than it is already.

Absolutely priceless. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

It would be to many folks that still have that mikey fever..

Whoops sorry :focus:

Lonestar
10-31-2010, 12:24 PM
And I don't care what Schefter or anyone else says...but especially him, he has been one of the worst reporting good information since he's left the NFLN, and regarding Denver especially since then. He's not tied to our team, Shanahan was his source here, everyone knows that!

Truth is that if Bowlen figures that McDaniels is going to cost the team more then his salary in a season, he may decide to go ahead and risk it. Especially with an unhappy fanbase...don't forget that Bowlen has a political mind beyond football, Denver fans came together to give the team a new stadium and years of sellout seasons; so no matter what anyone thinks, that will weight on Bowlen's mind with all this as well.

huh?

Northman
10-31-2010, 12:24 PM
sometimes you just have to make that call as to not derail the thread even more than it is already.

The only person who keeps bringing him up is you.

Lancane
10-31-2010, 12:28 PM

Except you mentioned 'Mikey' or the 'Emperor' first on here, no one else said anything about him. I think secretly you miss him...especially since you bitch about him and not a coach that has thus far led us to the worst overall record that we've had in nearly three decades within the span of a season and a half.

SM19
10-31-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure I buy Schefter's reasoning. Whatever Bowlen is still paying Shanahan, and whatever he'd be forced to pay McDaniels after firing him, those are sunk costs that he'll be paying regardless. The only pertinent question is whether it's worth it to us to pay a new coach's salary to get a new coach.

silkamilkamonico
10-31-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure I buy Schefter's reasoning. Whatever Bowlen is still paying Shanahan, and whatever he'd be forced to pay McDaniels after firing him, those are sunk costs that he'll be paying regardless. The only pertinent question is whether it's worth it to us to pay a new coach's salary to get a new coach.

Sunk costs or not, that money has to come from somewhere, and in a multi million dollar business like the NFL, the owners are shelling out multi million dollars to maintain it. With the lack of winning we've had since 2005 (and then 1998 before), I would imagine the organization isn't in a position to just throw around millions of dollars based on failed coaching plans.

scott.475
10-31-2010, 12:46 PM
This actually made my stomach turn a little bit. I hate the thought of suffering another losing season. I hope to heaven he can turn it around next year.

I sure hope you are right, but there is nothing that would surprise me with this team anymore.

Lancane
10-31-2010, 12:50 PM
Sunk costs or not, that money has to come from somewhere, and in a multi million dollar business like the NFL, the owners are shelling out multi million dollars to maintain it. With the lack of winning we've had since 2005 (and then 1998 before), I would imagine the organization isn't in a position to just throw around millions of dollars based on failed coaching plans.

We're one of the top ten in the league in overall revenue, including in product sales, did you know that Bronco Jersey's are a big seller in Japan? So Silk that is a weak argument, especially when you figure that between bad decisions and a roster shift that shows we spend more on lesser talent, then more on big talent, proving we've become thrifty organization and it will be worse, Bailey is likely gone after the season along with Harris, Gronkowski and Thomas, so the team will have even more money give whatever we spend on active free agency and the draft.

silkamilkamonico
10-31-2010, 12:56 PM
We're one of the top ten in the league in overall revenue, including in product sales, did you know that Bronco Jersey's are a big seller in Japan? So Silk that is a weak argument, especially when you figure that between bad decisions and a roster shift that shows we spend more on lesser talent, then more on big talent, proving we've become thrifty organization and it will be worse, Bailey is likely gone after the season along with Harris, Gronkowski and Thomas, so the team will have even more money give whatever we spend on active free agency and the draft.

I also think your argument is weak of somehow having an inside track of Bowlen's thought process over Schefter's. It's a matter of opinion either way you spin it. And jersey sales aren't going to somehow overturn
12 years of winning nothing of significance with the exception of arguably the one season.

Northman
10-31-2010, 12:58 PM
And jersey sales aren't going to somehow overturn 12 years of winning nothing of significance with the exception of arguably the one season.

Unless we become bottom dwellers in our division which is where we are going rapidly. We may not have won a lot of playoffs or SB's since Elway's day we have at least had winning seasons until now.

silkamilkamonico
10-31-2010, 01:01 PM
Unless we become bottom dwellers in our division which is where we are going rapidly. We may not have won a lot of playoffs or SB's since Elway's day we have at least had winning seasons until now.

We've had 2 types of teams. An above average regular season team, and a playoff team that was the laugfhing stock of the entire NFL. I'm not in the "at least" argument. I want to win. I've already jumped off the McDaniels bandwagon, but that doesn't mean I'm going to run back crying to Shanahan's lukewarm success like so many people here do in these arguments.

Dzone
10-31-2010, 01:04 PM
well, that blows that we may be stuck with a loser for a couple years due to financial reasons. Dang. All we can do is hope for mcd to turn it around.

Northman
10-31-2010, 01:05 PM
We've had 2 types of teams. An above average regular season team, and a playoff team that was the laugfhing stock of the entire NFL. I'm not in the "at least" argument. I want to win. I've already jumped off the McDaniels bandwagon, but that doesn't mean I'm going to run back crying to Shanahan's lukewarm success like so many people here do in these arguments.

Its not about wanting Shanahan back, its just about perspective. We ALL want to win but i was addressing why sales could go down if we keep going in the direction we are going. That was the point of my post. Simply allowing this to continue would be more of a negative than positive for this organization.

Lancane
10-31-2010, 01:06 PM
I also think your argument is weak of somehow having an inside track of Bowlen's thought process over Schefter's. It's a matter of opinion either way you spin it. And jersey sales aren't going to somehow overturn
12 years of winning nothing of significance with the exception of arguably the one season.

Have you ever been to Japan Silk? I have, they have an obsession with American Football over there, it was John Elway who made the Broncos such a household name nationally, but winning two championships furthered that. New England was not a national favorite team till they began to win championships and ended up being a powerhouse football team. So if we fall back into obscurity it can lead to a financial setback for Bowlen and the organization in whole. Look at Dallas, it was America's team, now that title belongs to New England. Point is that if we fall into obscurity, it will have fiscal implications and it could become a factor.

silkamilkamonico
10-31-2010, 01:09 PM
I simply think Bowlen is going to bite the bullet with McDaniels, look at Shanahan's coaching failure and now McD's, and just sit through it. He's made 2 lousy decisions on the coaching front the last 6-8 years, and I think he knows it.

I'm dead scared of what potential boneheaded decision Bowlen will make in his next HC hire. He seems to have as much ego involved as the decisions he's made to hire McD, and not fire Shanahan sooner.

silkamilkamonico
10-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Point is that if we fall into obscurity, it will have fiscal implications and it could become a factor.

We fell into obscurity long before McD was even hired, IMHO. Nothing of significance in 12 years with the exception of one fluke season that ended with a disappointing home playoff blowout loss (again) at home.....

Lancane
10-31-2010, 01:16 PM
I simply think Bowlen is going to bite the bullet with McDaniels, look at Shanahan's coaching failure and now McD's, and just sit through it. He's made 2 lousy decisions on the coaching front the last 6-8 years, and I think he knows it.

I'm dead scared of what potential boneheaded decision Bowlen will make in his next HC hire. He seems to have as much ego involved as the decisions he's made to hire McD, and not fire Shanahan sooner.

I agree with you on that Silk, I admit that Shanahan went stale long before he was fired, but at the end of his tenure we had finally found a G.M. worthy in Jim Goodman who brought in a load of talent once named Manager of Player Personnel or whatever his final title was with the organization, only to be replaced by Xanders who's own experience was questionable at best.

The best coaches we've had in the past four years was Nolan, who's no longer here and possibly Turner who is long gone as well.

Lonestar
10-31-2010, 01:22 PM
The uncertainty of the lockout is a huge reason McD will remain.

Bowlen's wanting to see this plan through is huge....

It was his choice to bring im McD,
the Tebow draft,
the McD incarnation of this team....

Bowlen does not want to willy nilly hire HC after HC like chicken little...

Barring repeated absolute catastrophe...

Bowlen will give it time.

outstanding reasoning great post.

SM19
10-31-2010, 02:43 PM

That may be true, but the question remains essentially whether they want, and can afford, a new coach. The money they've already spent may affect whether they can afford one, in which case it would matter. But if they do want one and can afford one, the money they've already spent would not be a good reason not to hire a new coach. If there's an excellent candidate available this offseason, I think they'd be wise to consider a change despite the contract situation.

TXBRONC
10-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Shanahan is off the books after next season isn't he?

If we go 2-14 I think Schefter could be dead wrong regardless of the economic climate.

G_Money
10-31-2010, 03:58 PM
Shanahan is off the books after next season isn't he?

If we go 2-14 I think Schefter could be dead wrong regardless of the economic climate.

We're paying Shanny 3.5 mil in 2010 and 2011. If we fire Josh we'll be paying him 3ish mil the next two years too.

Assuming we signed a guy like Chucky it's gonna be another 6 million a year for him, plus whatever his assistant coaches are worth. And if we don't play football in 2011, or most of 2011, then we're paying millions upon millions for zero results.

And yet I still think Bowlen's got to consider it. I think he won't decide that til the owners have a better understanding of what the labor dispute is gonna look like, but if next year looks like it'll be a full year then I think Bowlen could make that call if this continues.

Better than firing McDaniels 4 games into the next season after he should have been fired, as happened to Linehan with the Rams.

If Josh really isn't the guy, then I expect Bowlen to make that call.

He needs to. The cost is his fault, so yes, he should pay it.

~G

HORSEPOWER 56
10-31-2010, 03:58 PM
The sad thing is, Schefter is probably right. God, another season and a half with this clown...

Really, it's only one more season because there won't be a season next year with the lockout. Unfortunately, that's still 2 more drafts that McDaniels will get to suck at while he "learns" how to be a coach and a GM. Damn, I wish the Broncos would pay me $2 mil a year to get some OJT as the head coach. It's not like results matter, here.

ikillz0mbies
10-31-2010, 04:24 PM
I already figured that McD is going to be year until his contract is up. What Bowlen needs to do is just get in McD's face and tell him this isn't working. He needs to be assertive with this team because this team is regressing, BADLY. I don't care, use the injury excuse or whatever, but this is NOT the direction any of us envisioned. By the looks of it, this season is in the dumps. I've been a McD supporter since the beginning, but again, I've lost my support for him in the last few weeks. He needs to try something new and make the most of his tenure here because if he doesn't he'll probably won't be sniffing another HC job anytime soon.

spikerman
10-31-2010, 04:27 PM
If finances are the basis for Bowlen's decisions he needs to do Broncos' fans a favor and look to sell the team to a person who can afford to make decisions based on what's best for the team.

OrangeHoof
10-31-2010, 05:05 PM
a playoff team that was the laugfhing stock of the entire NFL.

Who's the "laugfhing stock" of the NFL when it comes to playoff teams? Certainly not Denver. Probably Dallas, who makes their own Super Bowl hype with Romo every year and rarely escapes the first round or try the Chargers who manage to choke at home in the playoffs under both Schottenheimer and Turner. Then there's Buffalo and Minnesota that are both still 0-4 in Super Bowls, the same place we were until the late 1990s.

Whatever blowouts we've had, they're ancient history now. Other than self-flagellating Bronco fans, nobody else remembers or cares.

We all want to be winners and we all want to be champions but you have to walk before you run and, right now, we're not walking. We're hardly crawling.

rcsodak
10-31-2010, 05:24 PM

They never will, jr. I'm as pissed as everybody else is after a loss, but I'm seeing some positives. Lets just hope some guys get healthy over the bye week.

rcsodak
10-31-2010, 05:28 PM
:lol: injuries and less talent. The equivalent to the present.

rcsodak
10-31-2010, 05:30 PM
Maybe Bowlen should look in the mirror!! He seems to be the common denominator since Elway left and the struggles of the Denver BRONCOS!!! I like Bowlen, but some of his decisions and FO/player personnel (other than Cutler) moves have me stratching my head!!
^^^ North Dakota brain freeze

:D

Northman
10-31-2010, 05:33 PM
:lol: injuries and less talent. The equivalent to the present.

He had talent that he traded away. No one to blame but the HC. Next...

Bill Devaroe
10-31-2010, 05:35 PM
If finances are the basis for Bowlen's decisions he needs to do Broncos' fans a favor and look to sell the team to a person who can afford to make decisions based on what's best for the team.

That is easy to say when you are not the one writing the checks. This is a business. The goal of any business is to make a profit. The only thing that will make Bowlen fire Mc D is people no longer caring.

spikerman
10-31-2010, 05:36 PM
They never will, jr. I'm as pissed as everybody else is after a loss, but I'm seeing some positives. Lets just hope some guys get healthy over the bye week.

Help me out here. What positives are you seeing?

spikerman
10-31-2010, 05:38 PM
That is easy to say when you are not the one writing the checks. This is a business. The goal of any business is to make a profit. The only thing that will make Bowlen fire Mc D is people no longer caring.

The TV contract, which will be paid whether there is a lockout or not next year, guarantees that each owner will make a profit, but this brings me back to my original point. If being an NFL owner isn't profitable enough for Bowlen I'm sure there are people who would love to take the team off his hands.

rcsodak
10-31-2010, 05:41 PM

lol Schefter is/has been the LEADER in 'getting it rightl. Just because your opine differs from his, which is more fact based, doesn't diminish what he's done, cane. Hes not mortenson.

Nomad
10-31-2010, 05:41 PM
^^^ North Dakota brain freeze

:D

And in 5 months, will be an Alaskan brain freeze!!:lol:

rcsodak
10-31-2010, 05:53 PM
and thats the rub, isnt it. Just like tned's post a while back. Seems.ya'll are spoiled with the above .500 regular seasoms and and late round draft picks. But sometimes the ONLY way to truly rebuild is to start from scratch. I'm tired of the "reloading". Its time to reBUILD.
Look at Kc/Oak. They're both on their ways back, and LOADED. I want Denver to get back there. Morris looked lost at TB. Now look at him.

Northman
10-31-2010, 05:58 PM
and thats the rub, isnt it. Just like tned's post a while back. Seems.ya'll are spoiled with the above .500 regular seasoms and and late round draft picks. But sometimes the ONLY way to truly rebuild is to start from scratch. I'm tired of the "reloading". Its time to reBUILD.
Look at Kc/Oak. They're both on their ways back, and LOADED. I want Denver to get back there. Morris looked lost at TB. Now look at him.

Im fine with that, put Tebow in and lets get rolling. Lets stop pretending to be contenders and get the future some experience. ALL ABOARD! CHOO CHOO!

Watchthemiddle
10-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Northman

Wrong...see 2007 (7-9) and 1999 (6-10) one year removed from winning the Super Bowl.

2001, 2008, 2009...all 8-8. Not exactly 5 "winning" seasons.

rcsodak
10-31-2010, 06:05 PM
He had talent that he traded away. No one to blame but the HC. Next...
sorry. You're prolly in the monority both here and elsewhere if you'd rather have kept cutler. BM who? The only Only one I'd wished he kept was PH. But we'll see how he turns out. Phonz? Ya'll wanted him gone.

Northman
10-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Wrong...see 2007 (7-9) and 1999 (6-10) one year removed from winning the Super Bowl.

Certainly better than where we are. Please, dont even go there. :lol:

rcsodak
10-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Help me out here. What positives are you seeing?
EXACTLY! Ya'll just look at the reults, spike. The refs screwed up and stole that TD. New game if they go up 14. Ayers looks much improved. Doom. DT and the wr corp. The trenches need improved and they instantly improve. Add a stud LB. Get Macbeth back. But hey....I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy.

rcsodak
10-31-2010, 06:14 PM
And in 5 months, will be an Alaskan brain freeze!!:lol:
OOOOHHHH NOOOOOOSSSSSEE! lol

spikerman
10-31-2010, 06:22 PM
EXACTLY! Ya'll just look at the reults, spike. The refs screwed up and stole that TD. New game if they go up 14. Ayers looks much improved. Doom. DT and the wr corp. The trenches need improved and they instantly improve. Add a stud LB. Get Macbeth back. But hey....I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy.
1. The NFL is a results-driven business.
2. The refs did not screw up and "steal" a TD. Both of those calls were correct. Sorry, I'm a Broncos' fan too, but the officials ruled correctly on both of those penalties.
3. You can talk about Ayers, Doom, and the stud WR corps, but the fact is that only Dumervil is a proven player. Ayers was showing signs, though imo not #18 pick in the draft "signs".

The fact remains that Denver cannot score and can't stop other teams from scoring in any consistent manner. I've been watching football long enough to know that there can be measurable progress without seeing a ton of wins, but this team is regressing.l

rcsodak
10-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Im fine with that, put Tebow in and lets get rolling. Lets stop pretending to be contenders and get the future some experience. ALL ABOARD! CHOO CHOO!
who said they're "pretending to be contenders"? Just because some had this misconception doesnt make it so. And McD or any other coach sure wont come out and say it. Their main goal is to build a team thhat will win for more than just one season. And before you bring up Bowlen's initial quote at the hire, did you really expect him to say anything differently? Honestly?

rcsodak
10-31-2010, 06:34 PM

Great point, WTM. Shannys saving grace was his record of 'non-losing seasons'. Problem was, they were also 'non-WINNING seasons'.

Northman
10-31-2010, 06:37 PM
who said they're "pretending to be contenders"? Just because some had this misconception doesnt make it so. And McD or any other coach sure wont come out and say it. Their main goal is to build a team thhat will win for more than just one season. And before you bring up Bowlen's initial quote at the hire, did you really expect him to say anything differently? Honestly?

If your rebuilding you let your young QB take the reigns and get some game experience like Tampa did last year with Freeman. Like Detroit and St. Louis doing with their respective QB's. Like Indy did with Peyton Manning. As too Bowlen, give me a break dude. If Bowlen didnt want to win he would of left Shanahan there since we were ALREADY rebuilding. Bowlen wanted to win again and not wait 5 years to get there.

spikerman
10-31-2010, 06:38 PM

Personally, I'd take just one winning season about right now.