PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Texans Game - Not all Gloom and Doom!

TheSportsGuru
08-11-2008, 09:58 AM
MHR's take on Saturday's game, and no, it's not all gloom and doom!!

http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/8/11/591226/houston-texans-19-denver-b

Enjoy!

WARHORSE
08-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Im not concerned about Selvins stats. He was dropped in the backfield when the Oline let the Texans penetrate. Thats not Selvin. That was Clady being overwhelmed on a particular play by Williams at the beginning of the game. Clady probably wasnt prepared for the bull rush that hit him, afterall he hasnt seen anyone like Williams in training camp. He adjusted well.

The news of Pears back injury is not encouraging though. Im hoping Holland gets back to RG so Kuper can try out his hand at RT. May the best man win, and Harris is on my black list for lining up like a first grader on that screenplay that was called back on his illegal formation penalty.

Some thoughts:

The first team defense never hit the field.....champ, bly, robertson, Boss(after first couple plays). So Im not gonna lose sleep over them losing a game like that.

I will say that Ramsey has regressed.

Scheffler looked like he was wearing jets on that quick pass right that he took down the sidelines for a nice gain. His acceleration was awesome to behold for a big man.

Eddie Royal blocks and plays with an attitude. I love it.

Clady....the real deal, and he will only get better. Mario is the hardest man he'll face this year.

Cutler......opposing defenses better hope the oline doesnt gain continuity or theyre in trouble. I hope he scampers more like he did on the TD run.....gives the defenses even more to defense and think about.

Woodyard might need more looks.

Is Al Wilson busy? Depth at LB might be a concern.

Foxworth might have some suitors if he keeps playing like he is.....

Did I say Ramsey has regressed?:tsk:

Sign Simms.

G_Money
08-11-2008, 01:08 PM
- Ramsey WAS bad. Hackney looked smooth by comparison. And Hackney's response to real pressure, that beautiful mobile pass to Scheffler, spoke well of his learning curve.

- I wasn't happy to see the number of OL on their buttcheeks though. It wasn't like Clady and Harris were alone in that. A LOT of our guys were on their asses in the first half. Polumbus seemed to be one of the few later on who could consistently move his opposition in the run game. We're gonna need to correct that.

- And while there weren't any sacks, it's not like the Texans were blitzing. When they're only sending 4 guys and you're only throwing 4 yard passes, you'd better not have any sacks.

- I loved some of the play of the kids. My boy Woodyard was freakin' everywhere. I think adding a bit more muscle has slowed him a little bit, but he's still got that nose for the ball, and with the added muscle I don't have an issue with him playing the weakside position. And I also like that he didn't miss tackles.

- Also, Barrett on the final drive was good, and his keeping the contain on the boot was outstanding. Good play from a young kid.

- Can someone also explain to the trainer that putting 85 pounds of ice on tiny Foxy's forearm and then calling it a mild issue seems pretty hilarious?

- I don't feel bad about our receiving options. Marshall, D-Jackson, Royal, Stokley, Scheffler, N-Jackson are all good if healthy. The other guys (Colbert, Parker, etc) shouldn't be required. Add to that guys like Young, Hall and Alridge as receiving threats and Cutler shouldn't have too many problems with number of targets.

- Our blitz packages looked like coherent plans instead of last-ditch "close my eyes and pray" efforts. The few times we blitzed I was glad to see the whole D seemed to understand the concept. I'd still like more pressure from the DL, but Marcus Thomas looked pretty good at times and I like Peterson still. We didn't get much of anything from our DEs though.

- Kou was terrible, and Webster wasn't lighting it up either. I dunno if the injuries threw them off but DJ played out of control and Kou couldn't find the play or his place on the field. I'm glad we've got a few more weeks to work on those kinks.

So, things I'd like to see next time around:
Offense:

1) A more consistent run game with the first teamers.

2) Less butt-sitting, more butt-kicking from the OL.

3) Passes further than 4 yards, and fewer WR screens since we now suck at them.

Defense:

1) No more injuries.

2) some form of pass rush without the need for corner blitzes.

3) Better LB play by guys who might actually see the field this year.

~G

DenBronx
08-11-2008, 02:03 PM
woodyard and alridge both looked impressive. alridge i think is going to bring a good boost as a change of pace back. kinda like felix jones will for dallas....quicksix looks like he could break one anytime he touches the ball....but i pray to God he doesnt get killed by an nfl linebacker. at this rate....i think woodyard will see alot of playing time in preseason. i cant wait till sunday to see these guys again.

pittman, ramsey, harris and colbert were all disapointing. if royal steps it up i see colbert getting cut. heck...even sammie parker could at least catch the ball.

hamrob
08-11-2008, 02:12 PM
One other note on this game. Watching Dumervil and Engelberger start at DE had me thinking of apposing teams game planning for us. If it were me, I'd be running the ball outside and passing to the flat all day. Why, these guys generate very little push up field and can be completely taken out of plays...same goes for Moss and his twig legs. Hopefully I'm wrong...but you have to admit these guys are a little light on the outide...especially compared to guys like Super Mario.

DenBronx
08-11-2008, 02:29 PM
One other note on this game. Watching Dumervil and Engelberger start at DE had me thinking of apposing teams game planning for us. If it were me, I'd be running the ball outside and passing to the flat all day. Why, these guys generate very little push up field and can be completely taken out of plays...same goes for Moss and his twig legs. Hopefully I'm wrong...but you have to admit these guys are a little light on the outide...especially compared to guys like Super Mario.

id trade all 3 of those guys and a jam sandwhich for super mario.

gobroncsnv
08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
-- I loved some of the play of the kids. My boy Woodyard was freakin' everywhere. I think adding a bit more muscle has slowed him a little bit, but he's still got that nose for the ball, and with the added muscle I don't have an issue with him playing the weakside position. And I also like that he didn't miss tackles. -

~G

Nice change from last year's WILL, huh?

NightTrainLayne
08-12-2008, 09:14 AM
I finally got to watch the game last night.

I didn't think it was nearly as bad as everyone wants to believe. We have a lot of young, inexperienced players playing with a few veterans who haven't all played together before.

I don't know what everyone expected, but I was impressed with how well they are coming together considering the starting point this team was at a few months ago.

These guys will get better with experience, and time playing together, which is what the pre-season is all about. By next year, I think we'll be ready to seriously kick some butt, but we've still got some work to do.

I look forward to watching these guys all develop and grow together. I'm keeping my expectations for this year low, but going forward we are going in the right direction.