PDA

View Full Version : Simms to Denver?

Denver Native (Carol)
08-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Interesting thought????

http://weblogs.cw2.com/news/local/sports/colorado/2008/08/simms_to_denver.html

Simms To Denver?

We all know, including you Jake Plummer, that Bucs head coach Jon Gruden likes collecting quarterbacks the way Tiger Woods likes to accumulate golf majors.

I think Jake may have learned that crossing Gruden can be an expensive proposition, but when you are at the point of no return----a seemingly literal translation in Jake's case-----you got nothing to lose-----except $3.5 million.

The current dilemma involving Chris Simms isn't going to put him out that much cash, he simply wants out of Tampa, like, you know, yesterday. The mess that has developed between the the son of Phil Simms and the franchise is convoluted, however, after close examintaion, many seem to be siding with Simms.

The short version goes like this. Simms takes the Bucs to the postseason and the following year suffers an injury which requires a spleenectomy. He has not played since, though Tampa is paying him his entire salary. Seems noble on the part of the Bucs, but consider, that they have almost no intention of really playing Simms and just want him on the roster as an insurance policy and you begin to see his side of this.

All teams need that insurance policy at the quarterback spot and having someone like Simms seems like a benefit. However, on this current team, Simms is no better than the sixth quarterback. Jeff Garcia starts, Brian Griese is the backup, Bruce Gradkowksi and Luke McCown are in a battle, and rookie Josh Johnson is apparently a project for the future. Simms comes after all of them. Which is the last team to carry six quarterbacks on their roster? The Bucs have no need for Simms and seemingly are holding his career in unececeassry limbo.

The correct course of action would be to release him.

Should that occur, I think a few teams would show interest. Dallas and Chicago could covet him. So could Denver, in my opinion.

In Dallas, he would probably be the third string quarterback this season behind starter Tony Romo and Brad Johnson. Although, in 2009, he could be the backup. In chicago, he could vie for a starting position.

Here the situation is a little different. Jay Cutler is the man. His backup spot, though, should be wide open. Yes, the team is working on a contract extension for backup Patrick Ramsey, though can I ask one question? Why are they? He has not looked very solid in training camp and for the most part has been a disappointment throughout his career in the NFL. Simms may not be much better at this point, considering it has been almost two full years since he has played, but I think he is worth the risk. Ramsey is limited, Simms, on the other hand, while not the player many envisioned him becoming when he entered college at Texas, has done appreciably more in the League than Ramsey, in a much shorter span.

He may be worth the gamble. However,until he is given a chance, we will never really know. Your move, Gruden.

Timmy!
08-10-2008, 06:15 PM
If the Bucs cut him, and he'd sign for what we're paying Ramsey, I'd say it's a no brainer after last night.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-10-2008, 06:18 PM
If the Bucs cut him, and he'd sign for what we're paying Ramsey, I'd say it's a no brainer after last night.

We obviously appear to be in trouble if Jay gets hurt.

silkamilkamonico
08-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Not sure why many people are siding with Simms.

Gruden never liked him, never wanted him. He did a great job leading the team to the playoffs, and Gruden admitted he was wrong and was intent on going with Simms. The following year Simms had a dreadful start, and played his way out of a starting job.

The injury was insignificant in what would have happened to Simms in Denver.

claymore
08-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Simms sucks....... But He cant be worse than Ramsey....... But...... I will let the pre season settle. Hackney is better than both of them IMO. Simms will go to houston if he can..... Or Minnesota if he is lucky.

TXBRONC
08-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I don't think we should get overly anxious about Ramsey not playing well. Ten years ago Brister looked bad in the preseason which led Shanahan to go with Griese and well that didn't turn out so well.

gobroncsnv
08-10-2008, 07:00 PM
So are the reports on Hackney just bunk? Campers report he's doing pretty well. I haven't seen the game yet, so will rely on what others points of view turn out. But everything we're hearing from those who get to attend training camps say Hack-man should be #2 anyway. So what's the story?

Lonestar
08-10-2008, 07:11 PM
So are the reports on Hackney just bunk? Campers report he's doing pretty well. I haven't seen the game yet, so will rely on what others points of view turn out. But everything we're hearing from those who get to attend training camps say Hack-man should be #2 anyway. So what's the story?

while scrambling to his left he hit Scheffler on the nose for a huge gain that one seemed to be a fair pass.

Other than being a midget compared to NFL standards I think from what I have seen and heard of him to be outplaying ramsey...

Broncos Mtnman
08-10-2008, 07:18 PM
We should do something about Ramsey.....

...... but Simms isn't the answer.

:coffee:

slim
08-10-2008, 07:31 PM
The back up QB is pretty irrelevant...imo.

If Jay gets hurt we are screwed. End of story.

Magnificent Seven
08-10-2008, 07:33 PM

Trade Ramsey for Simms

Broncos Mtnman
08-10-2008, 07:43 PM
The back up QB is pretty irrelevant...imo.

If Jay gets hurt we are screwed. End of story.

The 1998 Broncos would disagree with you.

Brister had 5 starts in Elway's absence that year. We won them all on our way to a 14-2 record.

I agree that things would be bad if Jay got hurt, but it doesn't have to be that way. We can get someone other than Ramsey to improve that situation.

Northman
08-10-2008, 07:45 PM
I don't think we should get overly anxious about Ramsey not playing well. Ten years ago Brister looked bad in the preseason which led Shanahan to go with Griese and well that didn't turn out so well.

True, but Brister was still vastly overrated.

56crash
08-10-2008, 08:58 PM
if were going to trade for someone let's get WR Bolden

Magnificent Seven
08-10-2008, 09:04 PM

Broncos need a good back up. Patrick Ramsey sucks and Darrell Hackey is fairly.

Magnificent Seven
08-10-2008, 09:05 PM
If Jay Culter is injured and out, then Broncos are ******.

shank
08-10-2008, 09:09 PM

that definitely solves this problem.

56crash
08-10-2008, 09:35 PM
that definitely solves this problem.yes in a way it does Ramsey will be fine people need to worrie about QB back ups the durring cuts not now after the first preseason game hell ramsey looked all world last year in the preseason I doubt he has changed all that much from last year people should give him 3 games then start to worrie . there will be some great back ups cut at the start of the season.

Steven Jackson is also on the blocks....:elefant:

Shazam!
08-10-2008, 09:40 PM
"Brister had 5 starts in Elway's absence that year. We won them all on our way to a 13-3 record."

14-2... This should roll off your tongue man!

dogfish
08-10-2008, 09:54 PM
http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/4135/lolzwl3gr6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

makes for an interesting discussion i suppose, but ultimately a pretty pointless one until a legitimate news source reports that the broncos are interested in simms. . .

i do think he's at least marginally better than ramsey, but the bucs are apparently going to hold his right until the last moment, at which point is it really worth the double salary cap hit of cutting ramsey and paying simms, when he's completely unfamiliar with our version of the WCO and wouldn't be properly prepared to play if called on?

Buff
08-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Whether we like it or not, Ramsey or Hackney will be the backup this season... Can we wait a few months to speculate on who next year's #2 will be?

Chidoze
08-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Like a few others have stated already, If Cutler gets hurt and misses any significant amount of time, the Broncos will pretty much be up shit creek without a paddle regardless of who the backup is.

Cutler's a pretty tough guy though. He played at Vanderbilt and never missed any games due to injury there, so I could really care less who the backup qb is.

I'm more concerned about the defense right now.......

TXBRONC
08-10-2008, 10:38 PM

I don't see the necessity of bringing in Bolden.

DenBronx
08-11-2008, 01:50 PM
ramsey is a horrible backup. lets can his ass while we still have 3 preseason games left. although im not high on simms he would be at least better than ramsey.

at this point hackney should be #2....just my opinion.

hamrob
08-11-2008, 02:02 PM
If we're going to start a needs list...we might as well start with LB....first off MLB, followed by Strong Side LB. From what I saw from the first preseason game, they still do not know how to come up and fill the hole. The line of scrimmage is played far to much on the defensive side of the ball for us to be competitive. You have to have your front four firing out and taking their guys backwards with the backers coming up to fill the hole.

I tivo'd the game and went back to watch Moss play specifically. What I saw was a young DE with zero leverage...probably because of his tooth-pick legs...who was continuously taken out of running plays. He would start to the outside and the Tackle would drive him to the sideline with very little effort. Worse than that...was that the LB's didn't come up to meet the RB in the hole...instead they waited for the RB to come to them.

What I saw...was a serious need for coaching. Where is it?

DenBronx
08-11-2008, 02:12 PM
If we're going to start a needs list...we might as well start with LB....first off MLB, followed by Strong Side LB. From what I saw from the first preseason game, they still do not know how to come up and fill the hole. The line of scrimmage is played far to much on the defensive side of the ball for us to be competitive. You have to have your front four firing out and taking their guys backwards with the backers coming up to fill the hole.

I tivo'd the game and went back to watch Moss play specifically. What I saw was a young DE with zero leverage...probably because of his tooth-pick legs...who was continuously taken out of running plays. He would start to the outside and the Tackle would drive him to the sideline with very little effort. Worse than that...was that the LB's didn't come up to meet the RB in the hole...instead they waited for the RB to come to them.

What I saw...was a serious need for coaching. Where is it?

dont panic....even champ told the reporters that they hadnt showed what they can do on defense yet. i think over the next 3 games you will see a very basic scheme. but i am concerned about mlb...

...al wilson anyone??? :laugh:

MileHighFever
08-11-2008, 02:15 PM
If he is cheap to bring in why not take a look. However with Cutler locked in as the starter and with Ramsey around, he would at best be fighting to be the backup. With the quarterback trouble elsewhere, I have no reason why he would come here.

slim
08-11-2008, 08:16 PM
The 1998 Broncos would disagree with you.

Brister had 5 starts in Elway's absence that year. We won them all on our way to a 14-2 record.

I agree that things would be bad if Jay got hurt, but it doesn't have to be that way. We can get someone other than Ramsey to improve that situation.

The 1998 team had much better talent on both sides of the ball.

BeefStew25
08-11-2008, 08:19 PM
The 1998 team had much better talent on both sides of the ball.

With TD we could have had your fat ass taking snaps.

slim
08-11-2008, 08:24 PM
With TD we could have had your fat ass taking snaps.

Yeah, not only TD but the OL was outstanding, the WR, TE...that offense was unbelievable.

BeefStew25
08-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah, not only TD but the OL was outstanding, the WR, TE...that offense was unbelievable.

What do you think would have happened to Javon if he was on the SB teams? Do you think Romo and Sharpe would have cut his head off with a dull spoon?

slim
08-11-2008, 08:28 PM
What do you think would have happened to Javon if he was on the SB teams? Do you think Romo and Sharpe would have cut his head off with a dull spoon?

Yes...Romo would've led the charge. I'm pretty sure 51 others would've been right behind him.

BeefStew25
08-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Yes...Romo would've led the charge. I'm pretty sure 51 others would've been right behind him.

Do you think Misty May's ass is bigger than yours?

Bad Intentions
08-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I'd take Simms over Ramsey... I'd take Hackney over Ramsey too!

ikillz0mbies
08-11-2008, 11:40 PM

I would be all for this actually. It does solve the backup QB problem since Boldin did play QB at Florida State, so why not? :D

56crash
08-12-2008, 07:53 AM
I would be all for this actually. It does solve the backup QB problem since Boldin did play QB at Florida State, so why not? :D

well at least our bums would have a rod smith II two throw at ...:D:D

BroncoWave
08-12-2008, 09:39 AM
If we were going to bring in a new QB, I'd rather us go after Culpepper than Simms, myself.