PDA

View Full Version : If there is a lockout...

Jake Klug
10-28-2010, 05:15 PM
does Denver pick in the same spot in 2012 as they did in 2011? If Denver tanks this year, they could end up with high pick in back to back years.

BroncoWave
10-28-2010, 05:17 PM
I don't think there will be a draft in 2011 if there is a lockout. I could be wrong though.

Jake Klug
10-28-2010, 05:20 PM
I don't think there will be a draft in 2011 if there is a lockout. I could be wrong though.

Im guessing there would be a draft...they may not be able to sign guys with the lack of a CBA but theyll have rights to sign guys.

Lonestar
10-28-2010, 05:38 PM
There will be a draft and the lockout will be after the draft if there is one.

The drafting sequence will be the same as it always has been.

Mods please merge this one of the other lockout threads.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

frauschieze
10-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Doesn't the CBA expire in March? If so, then there will not be a draft, as the CBA is the only thing that makes the draft legal.

Jake Klug
10-28-2010, 09:12 PM
Doesn't the CBA expire in March? If so, then there will not be a draft, as the CBA is the only thing that makes the draft legal.

Are the players in the union until theyre drafted?

silkamilkamonico
10-28-2010, 10:20 PM
There's a draft regardless.

If there's no CBA set in place, the players cannot sign. If that's the case and there's no season, the teams that drafted them simply lose their rights to them, the drafted players go back into the pool for the 2012 draft, and teams draft in the same place.

jhildebrand
10-28-2010, 10:30 PM
There's a draft regardless.

If there's no CBA set in place, the players cannot sign. If that's the case and there's no season, the teams that drafted them simply lose their rights to them, the drafted players go back into the pool for the 2012 draft, and teams draft in the same place.

Do you have an article or link proclaiming as much? I went through this with RC a couple weeks ago. The only thing I found that offered anything even remotely concrete was a Street & Smith Business article saying there would be no draft without a CBA as the CBA controls the draft.

I also read somewhere else that the college players would all be treated as UDFA's.

silkamilkamonico
10-28-2010, 11:02 PM
I don't have an official link on it and I am not exactly positive that's how it works. I have heard radio interviews with Clayton and a lawyer for the NFL speak about the subject on the Cowherd show on ESPN and they both said there would be a draft.

The problem with no draft, is if there is a CBA agreement in place after the draft date and before the season, the season is played, and the 2012 draft would go by the results of the 2011 season. That would mean if Denver finished this year with the worst record in the NFL and had the #1 pick, they would lose that draft slot with 0 compensation it in this scenario. That is a terrible business model, and a draft prevents that from happening.

But I am not going to say this positively, just what I heard in the interviews from those 2.

silkamilkamonico
10-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Also, the NFL owns the draft. The CBA sets the stipulations of the drafted players, such as the window that teams can sign them, and the protection clauses of the union to back up drafted players who have yet to sign contracts and not be penalized for not practicing with their teams.

rcsodak
10-29-2010, 09:51 AM
there will be a 2011 draft from what I'm hearing. PKing, PKirwin. Signing the players is another thing. 2012 is everybody's guess.

PAINTERDAVE
10-29-2010, 10:06 AM
There must be a lot of college players really nervous about this.

Not many under classmen will probably be coming out early for a change.

The safest thing a junior could do is play his senior year at State Tech,
and put himself on the market AFTER this petulant, whiny multi-millionaires tantrum is over.

That way they can be better able to join the petulant, whiny millionaires club themselves.

rcsodak
10-29-2010, 10:14 AM
There must be a lot of college players really nervous about this.

Not many under classmen will probably be coming out early for a change.

The safest thing a junior could do is play his senior year at State Tech,
and put himself on the market AFTER this petulant, whiny multi-millionaires tantrum is over.

That way they can be better able to join the petulant, whiny millionaires club themselves.
lol..... :Hi5: