PDA

View Full Version : Another Record from the Raiders Debacle?

OldschoolFreak
10-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Ok, this is speculation here since I briefly tried researching it and was not successful BUT...

Can anyone confirm (or deny) that this was the first time in NFL history that a team scored touchdowns on 3 consecutive plays from scrimmage?

Granted, the record (if it is one) is not official due to an officiating mistake, but had the DT fumble not been blown dead, that would have been 3 straight plays from scrimmage resulting in TDs for one team. That would have to be a record, no?

MasterShake
10-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Doesn't look like a record they officially keep. You can check out the categories here in PDF form: http://www.nfl.com/history

They had one game there from the 50s where a team scored 40 or something in a quarter, so I'm sure it was pretty similar to our situation where they had to have score on consecutive touches.

Actually, here it is from the site:

Most Points, One Quarter

41 Points

Green Bay vs. Detroit, Oct. 7, 1945 (second quarter)

Los Angeles vs. Detroit, Oct. 29, 1950
(third quarter)

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
10-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Not a fun record if they do keep it

Softskull
10-28-2010, 11:10 PM
It's not really a record, but it's the first time in five years that the Raiders have a better w/l record than the Broncos.

Northman
10-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Im just glad that Buffalo took away the most turnovers in a SB. Denver having 8 was just flat out ridiculous.

Bosco
10-28-2010, 11:34 PM
http://voices.mysanantonio.com/anthonycobbs/Salt%2520Shaker.jpg

FanInAZ
10-29-2010, 12:33 AM
The closest that I've ever witnessed was a snowy Monday night game when Denver hosted Green Bay back in 1984. The Packers not only fumbled on the 1st play from scrimmage after receiving the opening KO, but they also fumbled on the 1st play from scrimmage after the next KO as well. Both of those fumbles were run in for TDs. The 1st by Steve Foley and the 2nd by Louis Wright. So Denver was up 14-0 before Elway and the offence took the field for the 1st time.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198410150den.htm

Canmore
10-29-2010, 12:49 AM
The closest that I've ever witnessed was a snowy Monday night game when Denver hosted Green Bay back in 1984. The Packers not only fumbled on the 1st play from scrimmage after receiving the opening KO, but they also fumbled on the 1st play from scrimmage after the next KO as well. Both of those fumbles were run in for TDs. The 1st by Steve Foley and the 2nd by Louis Wright. So Denver was up 14-0 before Elway and the offence took the field for the 1st time.

I remember that game, we won 17-14. It was quite the blizzard.

Ravage!!!
10-29-2010, 02:05 AM
Ok, this is speculation here since I briefly tried researching it and was not successful BUT...

Can anyone confirm (or deny) that this was the first time in NFL history that a team scored touchdowns on 3 consecutive plays from scrimmage?

Granted, the record (if it is one) is not official due to an officiating mistake, but had the DT fumble not been blown dead, that would have been 3 straight plays from scrimmage resulting in TDs for one team. That would have to be a record, no?

Interesting question.....

The Glue Factory
10-29-2010, 11:22 AM
I remember that game, we won 17-14. It was quite the blizzard.

Unfortunately, the rest of the game was quite the sleeper. Then again you can't do much when there's about 12 inches of snow on the field at kick off and it's coming down hard enough that you almost can't see the play from any camera above ground level.

Northman
10-29-2010, 02:04 PM

I remember that game. Denver ended up winning like 17-3 or something like that. Snowy as hell in that game.

The Glue Factory
10-29-2010, 03:15 PM
I remember that game. Denver ended up winning like 17-3 or something like that. Snowy as hell in that game.

Actually 17-14. Sad when both the ST and defense each outscore your offense. But then again it ain't easy running in 12 inches of snow and visibility being so low that any pass beyond 10 or 15 yards is a crap shoot for an interception.

scott.475
10-29-2010, 08:10 PM
I was wondering what the record is for time it took a team to score 21 points. From TD to TD, if the Thomas fumble had not been ruled dead, they would have put up 21 points in about 10 seconds of play.

Dzone
10-29-2010, 08:17 PM
One thing about shanny is that he made sure we beat the hell out of oakland most of the time. He hated the raiders and probably still does. wonder what his record was against our chief rival?

The Glue Factory
10-29-2010, 09:35 PM
I was wondering what the record is for time it took a team to score 21 points. From TD to TD, if the Thomas fumble had not been ruled dead, they would have put up 21 points in about 10 seconds of play.

I know the Bills put up 21 in <70 seconds on the Broncos in the early 90's. :shocked:

IIRC we were up by 17 at that point (mid third quarter) and couldn't manage to get a TD from that point on. We had handled Buffalo easily until that point and just fell apart after it.

The Glue Factory
10-29-2010, 09:38 PM
One thing about shanny is that he made sure we beat the hell out of oakland most of the time. He hated the raiders and probably still does. wonder what his record was against our chief rival?

I'd have to check but I believe he only lost about 5 games to them. Before Shanny we would have had to sweep the Raiders for 20 straight years to even the series with them. Now we just need to do that for 10 straight years.

Krugan
10-31-2010, 11:01 AM

I was there, couldnt see crap. cheered when those below us cheered and waited for the radio, which was a few seconds delayed to hear what happened.

We lived in Conifer at the time, didnt make it home and had to stay in some fleabag hotel on the west end of colfax.

Great fun though, I was to young to drink, but those around our seats kept me in Hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps.

Italianmobstr7
10-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Not a record because they didn't score on 3 consecutive plays. Even if they had though, I don't think it's a "record" of any kind.