PDA

View Full Version : Broncos A Hurting Bunch

Denver Native (Carol)
08-10-2008, 04:01 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8435054/Broncos-a-hurting-bunch,-and-it's-still-early?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Broncos a hurting bunch, and it's still early

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan eased his grueling training camp routine this year in response to the NFL's reduced roster limits.

It hasn't kept his players out of the training room.

In the first seven snaps of Saturday night's 19-16 preseason loss at Houston, the Broncos lost starting linebacker Boss Bailey, their biggest free agent signing, with a sprained right ankle, and his backup, special teams ace Louis Green, with a concussion.

Denver already had four key players sitting out in cornerback Champ Bailey (hamstring), center Tom Nalen (knee), safety Hamza Abdullah (groin) and defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson (knee). Right tackle Erik Pears, who has been slowed by a bad back, played only one series against the Texans.

Afterward, Boss Bailey left Reliant Stadium on crutches and Green wore a neck brace on the team's charter flight home.

Boss Bailey said he suffered a low ankle sprain, which usually doesn't require as much recovery time as a high ankle sprain. X-rays were negative but he was sent for an MRI on Sunday. Shanahan said his new strongside linebacker might miss a couple of weeks.

Jamie Winborn finished the first half at Bailey's position.

The Broncos focused on linebackers when they went about fixing a porous run defense in the offseason. They moved D.J. Williams from the middle to the weak side, his natural position, and signed Boss Bailey and Niko Koutouvides, who is battling Nate Webster for the starting job at middle linebacker.

Despite the spate of injuries, the Broncos were pleased with their first-team offense Saturday. Quarterback Jay Cutler overcame shaky starts by inexperienced tackles Ryan Clady and Ryan Harris, who drew four flags, to complete eight of 10 passes and run for a 15-yard touchdown.

"We've got a whole new offensive line out there," Cutler said. "Two young guys on the tackle, so I mean we're going to have to grow with them and they're going to have to learn game by game and make mistakes that rookies make."

The Broncos took Sunday off and will resume workouts Monday afternoon, when right guard Montrae Holland is expected to participate in his first practice. He spent the first two weeks of camp working off more than 25 pounds he gained in the offseason.

hamrob
08-10-2008, 04:45 PM
I like Cutler's attitude. Hey their rookies...their going to make mistakes...they'll grow as we go. No biggie!

Denver Native (Carol)
08-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I like Cutler's attitude. Hey their rookies...their going to make mistakes...they'll grow as we go. No biggie!

Exactly - it is just common sense that rookies will make mistakes.

silkamilkamonico
08-10-2008, 04:53 PM
IS Denver really hurting with player injuries?

If so, how many years in a row is this?

dogfish
08-10-2008, 04:56 PM
"Broncos a hurting bunch"

what else is new? :coffee:

if we can't get quality starts out of robertson, i have a feeling we'll really come to regret passing on trevor laws. . . .

Slick
08-10-2008, 05:02 PM

I agree. It's never nice to read an article entitled "Broncos, a hurting bunch..." but I love that type of attitude from Jay. Marshall's comments about him staying positive after a penalty from Harris...all good signs that Jay is becoming the leader this team needs.

TXBRONC
08-10-2008, 05:04 PM
It sounds like it could have been worse.

UnderArmour
08-10-2008, 08:46 PM
if we can't get quality starts out of robertson, i have a feeling we'll really come to regret passing on trevor laws. . . .

Who?

TXBRONC
08-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Who?

Dewayne Robertson the defensive tackle we picked up from the Jets.

dogfish
08-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Who?

what?

:laugh:

Dean
08-10-2008, 09:50 PM
what?

:laugh:

Why? ;)

dogfish
08-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Why? ;)

where?

:noidea:

okay, all jokes aside, in response to underarmor's edit-- trevor laws is a defensive lineman from notre dame. . . he played both 4-3 tackle and 3-4 end, but is probably best suited for 4-3 undertackle in the pros. . . he's short and squatty, and is extremely active and productive against the run. . . he excelled at the senior bowl, and tested very well at the combine. . . he was on the board when we picked royal, and was taken a few picks later by the eagles. . . not that i have anything against royal, but what i was suggesting is that if robertson's knee turns out to be balky, we're pretty much right back where we were last year, with a group of defensive tackles that was entirely inadequate-- maybe marcus thomas will improve enough to change our fortunes, and maybe the scheme change will help, but with robertson's health in question i can't help having nightmares of getting absolutely gashed right up the middle all year once again. . .