PDA

View Full Version : Boss Bailey and his injured right ankle.

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Broncos | B. Bailey could miss some time
Sun, 10 Aug 2008 02:23:06 -0700

The Associated Press reports Denver Broncos LB Boss Bailey (ankle) suffered a sprained right ankle Saturday, Aug. 9. Bailey will undergo tests Sunday, Aug. 10, but head coach Mike Shanahan feared Bailey could miss a couple of weeks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't see a thread about Boss Bailey and his what looks to be a badly sprained ankle. He was not able to put any weight on it at all as he was carried off the field. That same ankle was badly sprained 2-3 years ago which already has a huge scar on it. It caused him to miss quite a bite of time in Detriot and it really slowed him when he did come back. Ankle sprains are very tricky. A bad one can linger on for much longer than had it just been cracked/broken.

To add insult to the injury, Loius Green, his back up comes in and was immediately carted off the field. Green may have a better chance of coming back on the field to play at full speed that Boss really. Green's injury is gonna be 2 thing, he's done with his football career or it's really nothing at all and he'll be ready this week.

The 1st team defense, particularly against the run was horrendous, like they took off from last season. The linebacking core is weak to begin with as Nate Webster and Niko are our guys to fill the void of Al Wilson(oh brother..). Combine that with the lost of Boss and his back-up Loius Green, what we saw yesterday may be just a sign of what's to come.

It's very early in the pre-season. The Broncos will have to bring in 1 or more guys to solidify the linebackers position. Any good veteran LBs out there we can possibly make a trade for? I'll trade our 2nd or 3rd rounder of 09 or both for a great linebacker. Preferably a good veteran Mike-backer to start in place of Nate Webster and Nate can scoot over to the Sam til Boss is ready come back in 4-6weeks, hopefully less.

slim
08-10-2008, 01:16 PM

The Associated Press reports Denver Broncos LB Boss Bailey (ankle) suffered a sprained right ankle Saturday, Aug. 9. Bailey will undergo tests Sunday, Aug. 10, but head coach Mike Shanahan feared Bailey could miss a couple of weeks.

I didn't see a thread about Boss Bailey and his what looks to be a badly sprained ankle. He was not able to put any weight on it at all as he was carried off the field. That same ankle was badly sprained 2-3 years ago which already has a huge scar on it. It caused him to miss quite a bite of time in Detriot and it really slowed him when he did come back. Ankle sprains are very tricky. A bad one can linger on for much longer than had it just been cracked/broken.

To add insult to the injury, Loius Green, his back up comes in and was immediately carted off the field. Green may have a better chance of coming back on the field to play at full speed that Boss really. Green's injury is gonna be 2 thing, he's done with his football career or it's really nothing at all and he'll be ready this week.

The 1st team defense, particularly against the run was horrendous, like they took off from last season. The linebacking core is weak to begin with as Nate Webster and Niko are our guys to fill the void of Al Wilson(oh brother..). Combine that with the lost of Boss and his back-up Loius Green, what we saw yesterday may be just a sign of what's to come.

It's very early in the pre-season. The Broncos will have to bring in 1 or more guys to solidify the linebackers position. Any good veteran LBs out there we can possibly make a trade for? I'll trade our 2nd or 3rd rounder of 09 or both for a great linebacker. Preferably a good veteran Mike-backer to start in place of Nate Webster and Nate can scoot over to the Sam til Boss is ready come back in 4-6weeks, hopefully less.

What game were you watching? Chester Taylor had 10 carries for 19 yards.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-10-2008, 01:21 PM
In Madden 2009, I'll be sure to trade for Ernie Sims!

Slick
08-10-2008, 01:23 PM
I wanted us to bring in Trotter for a look. I'm not sure if he's got anything left in the tank, but I always thought he was excellent against the run, and seemed like he was a leader.

Have a little faith Nature...it seems like you live in a gloomy world. Give the new guys and the new system some time.

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 01:29 PM

OK, it was a combination of run and pass, more pass than run actually but Texans moved the ball on us at will. Matt Schaub and Sage Rosenfels made it look easy.

The Texans put up a FG, FG, then a TD with their 1st 3 possessions.

Throughout the game, the Texans didn't have very much trouble with our run defense at all, as they put up a total of 140 yards rushing.

topscribe
08-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Let's not start throwing people under the bus after a few reps in the first
preseason game. Let's see how they progress throughout the preseason.
That's what this time is for to a great extent.

As I mentioned elsewhere, if you throw out the fake punt and the surprise
reverse, the defense did very well against the run in terms of YPC.

I also mentioned elsewhere that Boss has a month of preseason to recover
from his ankle injury. He should be back at least for the Oakland game.

Put away the nitroglycerin. Let's see how the team develops.

-----

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 01:33 PM
I wanted us to bring in Trotter for a look. I'm not sure if he's got anything left in the tank, but I always thought he was excellent against the run, and seemed like he was a leader.

Have a little faith Nature...it seems like you live in a gloomy world. Give the new guys and the new system some time.

I'm just not very happy that Niko was our answer to the void of Al Wilson. And when we realized that Niko isn't the guy, we shoved the next guy we had, an old and aging shrimp that can't tackle in his place.

It's just to easy to point fingers there at the obvious when the defense looked as if it continued from the previous season, ranked almost last in most categories.

ChampWJ
08-10-2008, 01:37 PM

It was Chris Taylor.

slim
08-10-2008, 01:47 PM
It was Chris Taylor.

LOL...your are right. But I don't care if his name is Nancy. He ran for 19 yards on 10 carries. Also, he had a long of 10 yards. So, if we do the math, that would mean his other 9 carries went for 1 yard each. :D

Slick
08-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm just not very happy that Niko was our answer to the void of Al Wilson. And when we realized that Niko isn't the guy, we shoved the next guy we had, an old and aging shrimp that can't tackle in his place.

It's just to easy to point fingers there at the obvious when the defense looked as if it continued from the previous season, ranked almost last in most categories.

Fair enough...your point about Niko and then Webster is not lost on me. Neither of those guys are = to a healthy Al Wilson. Who knows...maybe Coach will bring in another Mike...maybe, if Woodyard keeps playing like he did last night, DJ get's moved once again back to MLB, Woodyard plays WLB.

Keep in mind we played against an offense that has an excellent scheme(Kubes and Kyle learned from one of the best), and one of the best o-line coaches in the history of the NFL IMO.

I'm just not ready to take the "same defense as last year" attitude yet.

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Fair enough...your point about Niko and then Webster is not lost on me. Neither of those guys are = to a healthy Al Wilson. Who knows...maybe Coach will bring in another Mike...maybe, if Woodyard keeps playing like he did last night, DJ get's moved once again back to MLB, Woodyard plays WLB.

Keep in mind we played against an offense that has an excellent scheme(Kubes and Kyle learned from one of the best), and one of the best o-line coaches in the history of the NFL IMO.

I'm just not ready to take the "same defense as last year" attitude yet.

Yup, move DJ to the Mike and put Jamie Winborn or Woodward, which ever is best at Will. Boss should be ready to play the Sam in a month.

I thought Jamie Winborn looked good last night and he's got plenty of experience.

ChampWJ
08-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Something tells me DJ is done being moved.

slim
08-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Yup, move DJ to the Mike and put Jamie Winborn or Woodward, which ever is best at Will. Boss should be ready to play the Sam in a month.

I thought Jamie Winborn looked good last night and he's got plenty of experience.

Wait, I thought boss wouldn't be back until November. I guess you have had a chance to look at the xrays and MRI now.

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Wait, I thought boss wouldn't be back until November. I guess you have had a chance to look at the xrays and MRI now.

I'm saying Boss will not be 100% til around November but he may be ready to play as early as a month if we are lucky. Ankle sprains are very tricky. I tweaked my lower ankle in a basketball game a few years back and it tooks 2-3 yrs for it to fully heal 100%.

slim
08-10-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm saying Boss will not be 100% til around November but he may be ready to play as early as a month if we are lucky. Ankle sprains are very tricky. I tweaked my lower ankle in a basketball game a few years back and it tooks 2-3 yrs for it to fully heal 100%.

OK, well I see you have precedent. And very impressive precedent at that.

I sprained my ankle playing hoops in HS and I was back in week. :welcome:

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 02:23 PM

Were you 100% when you came back? See there is a difference. I like Boss play at a high level, you don't I assume.

slim
08-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Were you 100% when you came back? See there is a difference. I like Boss play at a high level, you don't I assume.

Yes I was 100%. See, that's the funny thing about injuries...some are more severe than others. Also, some people heal faster than others...fyi.

Slick
08-10-2008, 02:26 PM

I agree...I was being hypothetical. Not my strong suit.

I just hope the injury bug finds a different place to live.

slim
08-10-2008, 02:27 PM
I agree...I was being hypothetical. Not my strong suit.

I just hope the injury bug finds a different place to live.

Yes, like Oakland or SD :hi:

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Yes I was 100%. See, that's the funny thing about injuries...some are more severe than others. Also, some people heal faster than others...fyi.

Boss' foot looked screwed up. It was a re-injury of the same ankle that slowed him for a long time in Detroit. He's got a nasty scar on that ankle when he 1st hurt it.

Slick
08-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Yes, like Oakland or SD :hi:

Now slim...we don't wish injuries on anyone, including those two craptastic teams. :lol:

slim
08-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Now slim...we don't wish injuries on anyone, including those two craptastic teams. :lol:

Better them than us :hi:

I am joking of course. I wouldn't wish injury on anyone (except terrorist and such). :D

Slick
08-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Better them than us :hi:

I am joking of course. I wouldn't wish injury on anyone (except terrorist and such). :D

I'm guilty of it at times. I'm wishing high ankle sprains on the lady and what sounds like her 16 kids out at the pool. I wanted some quality pool time on my day off.

shank
08-10-2008, 02:56 PM
0 for 1,215

G_Money
08-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Boss has had a problem staying healthy. This isn't new.

Winborn's the right size to be his backup, though Jamie concerns me with his "over-running the play" tendencies. Still, better at Sam than Will for Jamie IMO.

I don’t know what we’re gonna do for LBs, especially with this being a contract year and DJ’s last few years not being worth what he could make as a FA. Being back at his position of strength is good – we could get DJ’s best contribution to our team yet. But if Woodyard can play the Will at a high level (I have lots of man-love for Wesley), then we need to figure out what we’re doing with DJ.

I wanted a LB early last year (Willis obviously) and I wanted one this year (except once Laurinaitis and Maualuga BOTH went back it became less of an option). Our LB core could well get weaker next year, or at least far less experienced. We’re running a bunch of backups and kids out there, and if we swap DJ’s experience for a 1st round rookie LB like Maualuga (this is me pretending he'll be available to us) we’ll really be young out there. It’ll be Boss and some kids in ’09.

Still, if they’re the right kids…

So I’m definitely rooting for Woodyard and Larsen to come through and give us better options, because once we decided not to try to use the draft to replace Wilson and gave away picks to move up for a raft of DL, we put ourselves in a hole at the position. And we haven't gotten out of it yet.

Heal fast, Boss.

~G

Davii
08-10-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't know about the scar, but he wasn't placed on IR until Dec 2005 and missed five games due to an ankle injury.

He missed all of 2004 from a knee injury.

Just wanted to clear that up for everyone, just they you're talking about it NB makes it look like he missed a full year from his ankle or something along those lines.

slim
08-10-2008, 03:00 PM
I hate the fact they are jerking Larsen around. The guy is a LB...let him concentrate on that. Making the transition is tough enough without having to learn 2 positions.

Slick
08-10-2008, 03:02 PM
You were right about Woodyard, G. He impressed the hell out of me last night. He simply has a nose for the football.

topscribe
08-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Boss has had a problem staying healthy. This isn't new.

Winborn's the right size to be his backup, though Jamie concerns me with his "over-running the play" tendencies. Still, better at Sam than Will for Jamie IMO.

I don’t know what we’re gonna do for LBs, especially with this being a contract year and DJ’s last few years not being worth what he could make as a FA. Being back at his position of strength is good – we could get DJ’s best contribution to our team yet. But if Woodyard can play the Will at a high level (I have lots of man-love for Wesley), then we need to figure out what we’re doing with DJ.

I wanted a LB early last year (Willis obviously) and I wanted one this year (except once Laurinaitis and Maualuga BOTH went back it became less of an option). Our LB core could well get weaker next year, or at least far less experienced. We’re running a bunch of backups and kids out there, and if we swap DJ’s experience for a 1st round rookie LB like Maualuga (this is me pretending he'll be available to us) we’ll really be young out there. It’ll be Boss and some kids in ’09.

Still, if they’re the right kids…

So I’m definitely rooting for Woodyard and Larsen to come through and give us better options, because once we decided not to try to use the draft to replace Wilson and gave away picks to move up for a raft of DL, we put ourselves in a hole at the position. And we haven't gotten out of it yet.

Heal fast, Boss.

~G

Whoa G, let's not put Woodyard on D.J.'s level yet. Remember D.J.'s
numbers at Will as a rookie. And he is not that old, by a long shot.

I expect D.J. to play at a Pro Bowl level, now that he is back at Will. He is
still the Broncos' most talented, athletic player on defense, outside Champ.

Frankly, LB is one of the positions with which I feel the most secure now,
assumng Boss comes back okay.

-----

honz
08-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Dear Nature Boy,

1. If it took you 2 -3 years to get back to 100% after an ankle injury you did more than sprain it.

2. If Boss has a scar on his ankle from an ankle injury he did more than sprain it.

3. No one knows the full extent of Boss' injury yet.

4. Get your facts straight before you start spewing garbage and wasting my time.

Thanks.

slim
08-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Dear Nature Boy,

1. If it took you 2 -3 years to get back to 100% after an ankle injury you did more than sprain it.

2. If Boss has a scar on his ankle from an ankle injury he did more than sprain it.

4. Get your facts straight before you start spewing garbage and wasting my time.

Thanks.

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I saw a scar resulting from a sprained ankle :confused:

G_Money
08-10-2008, 03:14 PM
I would definitely expect DJ to have a better year at Wil than Woodyard would, top. I'm just pointing out that LBs aren't just playing for this year. Paying a ton of money for a Wil might not make sense if Wesley can become a good one in his own right a la Mobley, and DJ could draw a bundle on the open market.

I'm glad DJ is back at his lone position of true impact. I never wanted to see him move off the weak side. But if we can't figure out how to shore up the middle of the D, and neither Webster nor Kou is up to the job, then we might need to spend DJ's money elsewhere as we continue to move pieces around the LB core and try to make the middle level of the defense do what it needs to do for us to win.

We've got to start paying all those good 2006 draft picks soon...

~G

Davii
08-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Searching everywhere the only surgeries I can find for Boss are 3 knee surgeries (two in College, one that made him miss 2004).

Can someone help me find the surgery that caused this "huge scar" on his ankle?

slim
08-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Searching everywhere the only surgeries I can find for Boss are 3 knee surgeries (two in College, one that made him miss 2004).

I think you will have an easier time finding a Leprechaun (no offense MO).

shank
08-10-2008, 03:24 PM
I think you will have an easier time finding a Leprechaun (no offense MO).

zhypNg-CTMY

slim
08-10-2008, 03:29 PM
zhypNg-CTMY

:rofl:

Who else see the leprechaun...say yea.....

BroncoWave
08-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Dear Nature Boy,

Thanks.

Seriously. He's either full of crap saying it took him 2-3 years to fully recover, or it was more than a sprain. A couple of years ago I had a really nasty ankle sprain, the doc said is was one of the worst kinds you can get. I was walking well in a week, running after about 3-4 weeks and back at full strength in about 5-6 weeks. And at the time I was bad out of shape and lazy, not a world class athlete with top of the line rehab resources like Bailey. Assuming it is just an ankle sprain, he should be fine for the regular season.

Tned
08-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I can't remember the last time I saw a scar resulting from a sprained ankle :confused:

Well, technically, all strains have some degree of tearing of muscles and/or ligaments, but in a third degree spain is a complete tear/rupture of a ligament and/or muscle.

So, it is possible that if he had a third degree sprain that it required surgery.

Having said that, I have no clue about what Boss's previous injury was, so I don't know if or why he has a scar.

G_Money
08-10-2008, 03:31 PM

The only thing I could find on a quick search:

http://www.fantasyplaymakers.com/players.php?subcat3=4877&cat=14&year=2006&fname=Boss&lname=Bailey

Lions LB unit shuffled around :: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:05 pm
The Lions will have to do some juggling with their linebacking corps in the game Sunday against the Green Bay Packers. The loss of SLB Alex Lewis for at least one game with a sprained left knee set off a chain reaction that could affect several teammates. With Lewis out, Paris Lenon will move from the starting MLB to Lewis' strong-side position and Boss Bailey, who was being brought back slowly from an off-season ankle surgery, will get his first start of the season at MLB. Rookie Ernie Sims will remain at the weak-side linebacker position but backups LaVar Woods and rookie Anthony Cannon are expected to get additional playing time.

But I think that was one of his knee surgeries and not an ankle surgery, wasn't it? 2005 offseason so sometime in early 06? Could just be sloppy reporting.

~G

Denver Native (Carol)
08-10-2008, 03:32 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/aug/09/boss-bailey-optimistic-about-ankle-injury/

HOUSTON — Boss Bailey emerged from the training room Saturday night wearing a sneaker on his left foot, a sock on the right, two crutches and a look of disappointment.

The Broncos' starting strong-side linebacker suffered a sprained right ankle on the second defensive snap of the preseason in a 19-16 loss to the Houston Texans.

He’ll have a magnetic resonance imaging exam Sunday.

“I’m good, I’m cool,” Bailey said. “I don’t think it’s that bad but you don’t know until you get the MRI. The good thing is, it wasn’t broken on the X-ray, so that’s the positive thing. But I have to wait and see with the MRI to see if there’s any damage in there.”

Coach Mike Shanahan described Bailey’s injury as “pretty bad” as sprains go and that given the swelling, Bailey might miss a couple of weeks.

Bailey, who said it was a lower ankle sprain rather than a high one, was replaced by Louis Green, who injured his neck on the same series and was wearing a neck brace as he took the team flight home. Jamie Winborn finished the first half as the team’s strong-side linebacker.

Bailey was asked whether he felt the regular-season opener might be in jeopardy, given the injury.

“No, I feel good about it,” he responded. “I’m not going to speculate right not but I definitely feel I’ll be ready by then.”

Bailey’s injury occurred on an end-around to Texans receiver Andre Davis. The linebacker was hit on the backside of the play and had to be helped off by two trainers, with Bailey putting no weight on his right leg. He later was carted off to the locker room.

“I was going in my gap and I got cut by the guard,” Bailey said of the play on which he was hurt. “I didn’t go all the way down, and when I was coming up, somebody came over the top of me and my leg got caught up under me as I got twisted around.”

Bailey was playing in his first game with Denver after signing a lucrative free-agent deal with the team this offseason. He said he never has had a similar injury, so he has nothing to which he can compare the pain and swelling he’s experiencing.

“It’s part of the game,” Bailey said. “I’m not going to be too down about it. I’m just rehab hard and try to come back as soon as I can.”

slim
08-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Seriously. He's either full of crap saying it took him 2-3 years to fully recover, or it was more than a sprain. A couple of years ago I had a really nasty ankle sprain, the doc said is was one of the worst kinds you can get. I was walking well in a week, running after about 3-4 weeks and back at full strength in about 5-6 weeks. And at the time I was bad out of shape and lazy, not a world class athlete like Bailey. Assuming it is just an ankle sprain, he should be fine for the regular season.

Yeah, if it took 2-3 years there was significant ligament damage...it wasn't just a sprain. I would doubt someone would ever be 100% after that type of damage (unless they had surgery).

Of course, I am no proctologist.

Slick
08-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Thanks Carol. :salute: More information than what I found on DB.com. Let's hope the MRI is clean and he heals quickly.

hamrob
08-10-2008, 05:02 PM
OK, it was a combination of run and pass, more pass than run actually but Texans moved the ball on us at will. Matt Schaub and Sage Rosenfels made it look easy.

The Texans put up a FG, FG, then a TD with their 1st 3 possessions.

Throughout the game, the Texans didn't have very much trouble with our run defense at all, as they put up a total of 140 yards rushing.Actually we ended up pretty much even steven. The Texans punted twice the entire game. Turk ran one of the punts...so he only shows one actual punt in the box score. The Broncos punted twice the entire game as well. So essentially...both defenses had troubles.

But, hey it was the first preseason game...and we really didn't give up any big plays. As for the Broncos shutting down the run:

Houston Rushing:

CAR YDS AVG TD LG
S. Slaton 11 37 3.4 0 13
D. Walker 8 29 3.6 0 7
S. Boyd 5 28 5.6 0 16
C. Taylor 10 19 1.9 0 10
M. Turk 1 15 15.0 0 15
A. Davis 1 12 12.0 0 12
Team 36 140 3.9 0 16

If you take out Boyd (QB) and Turk (Punter)...6 carries for 43 yds, the Texans rushed for just 97 yds on 30 carries or 3.2 yds a carry. Even if you include the QB's rushing yds and just subtract Turk...you have 35 carries for 125 yds...or 3.6 yds a carry. Perhaps not great...but certainly not bad...especially when their back barely averaged 3 yds a carry as a group.

I think we'd all be happy holding teams to FG's in the regular season. The problem in this game wasn't as much the defense as it was that the offenses couldn't score TD's.

Retired_Member_001
08-10-2008, 05:04 PM

If it was a 2-3 year injury, you did alot more than sprain it. You (Nature Boy) must have done some serious ligament damage.

I sprained my ankle playing Basketball 3 months ago and I was back running after 10 days and fully fit after 14 days.

Tned
08-10-2008, 05:10 PM
If it was a 2-3 year injury, you did alot more than sprain it. You (Nature Boy) must have done some serious ligament damage.

I sprained my ankle playing Basketball 3 months ago and I was back running after 10 days and fully fit after 14 days.

Everything from a mild twisting of the ankle to a complete tear is medically considered a 'sprain'. That's why in the pressers they talk about it being a grade 1 sprain (mildest) or grade 3 sprain (complete tear).

Retired_Member_001
08-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Everything from a mild twisting of the ankle to a complete tear is medically considered a 'sprain'. That's why in the pressers they talk about it being a grade 1 sprain (mildest) or grade 3 sprain (complete tear).

Yes, but to be out injured for 2-3 years because of a sprained ankle means something much more severe happened. Dislocated Ankles don't even take that long to heal.

Broncos Mtnman
08-10-2008, 05:17 PM

I wasn't all that excited when we picked him up to begin with. Just because his last name is Bailey doesn't mean he's as good as Champ.

He has been injury prone his whole career. I'm concerned that this is just more of the same from this guy.

I don't know if he'll be ready this week, but his MRI was negative for any damage to his neck/spine and he returned home with the team. He "only" suffered a mild concussion and should be OK soon enough.

I don't know what game you were watching, but the first team defense was pretty strong against the run. DJ looked more comfortable playing Will and Nate held his own at Mike. The defense was pretty vanilla, so I don't think you saw anything from the LBs last night.

One concern I had was the D-line's tendency to over-pursue. The bootleg was extremely effective yesterday as a result. Hopefully, the d-line and LBs will learn to "stay home" on the play action stuff.

I think you're jumping the gun on this one. It's way too soon to start thinking of trading away draft picks for a LB we may or may not need.

Broncos Mtnman
08-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Yes, but to be out injured for 2-3 years because of a sprained ankle means something much more severe happened. Dislocated Ankles don't even take that long to heal.

Well, it wasn't 2-3 years, but it was pretty severe.

He injured it in the 11th game of the 2005 season. He was put in IR a few weeks later when it didn't heal.

Retired_Member_001
08-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Well, it wasn't 2-3 years, but it was pretty severe.

He injured it in the 11th game of the 2005 season. He was put in IR a few weeks later when it didn't heal.

This was a response to Nature Boy who said he sprained his ankle and it took him 2-3 years to heal.

broncobryce
08-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Yeah, I think he will be okay. Lets remember the source......Go Broncos

SmilinAssasSin27
08-11-2008, 07:04 AM
I try not to play the grab every free agent game....but Takeo Spikes is still out there.

BroncoWave
08-11-2008, 09:08 AM
I try not to play the grab every free agent game....but Takeo Spikes is still out there.

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/1146808.html

SmilinAssasSin27
08-11-2008, 09:14 AM
...or not

GEM
08-11-2008, 12:48 PM

And it isn't easy finding MLB's to fill those shoes when you have a set number of deficiencies that are more glaring.

The MLB position isn't what had us ranked last in most categories, that was the DL. Of which we drafted numerous guys to try to fill those voids. I'm sure MLB is coming up with its brights on in our future.

GEM
08-11-2008, 12:50 PM

Let's freakin hope so. The guy can't come out with uber talent if he is constantly getting switched around....on top of that, he's going to get sick of it and we might be without his services because of it.

hamrob
08-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Some guys are just injury prone. Boss Bailey is one of them. Will we be able to count on him for the regular season. Signs say no!

topscribe
08-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Let's freakin hope so. The guy can't come out with uber talent if he is constantly getting switched around....on top of that, he's going to get sick of it and we might be without his services because of it.

Spot on. The guy has superstar caliber talent, and the Broncos have
suppressed his career by just shifting him around. He is very much a team
player, but if they shift him around again, and he leaves, he won't find me
blaming him for it.

-----

G_Money
08-11-2008, 03:56 PM
And it isn't easy finding MLB's to fill those shoes when you have a set number of deficiencies that are more glaring.

The MLB position isn't what had us ranked last in most categories, that was the DL. Of which we drafted numerous guys to try to fill those voids. I'm sure MLB is coming up with its brights on in our future.

The top two guys I wanted last year were Willis and Beason. I figured Beason would be there for us in the 2nd, though, and he didn't make it out of the first. Willis, well everybody knew we needed to trade up above SF to make that happen and we just couldn't do it. Them's the breaks. If we'd lose more often we'd get better draft picks and wouldn't have these problems.

I'm still pissed that we flushed draft picks to move for Moss, which forced us to flush even more picks to get back for Thomas. The gall of Shanahan to suggest he wanted to dump picks because he just didn't have that many holes on the team was proven to be hubris instead of foresight.

But before last year we weren't dying at LB. We had DJ and Al Wilson, we lost a good one in Mobley due to freak injury and tried to replace him with a formerly good player who just didn't care any more in Gold. That didn't work, but the LB corps wasn't decimated until Wilson couldn't go. Not addressing that hole in the 2007 draft was not forgivable and has indeed hurt us.

But this year? The dominant MLBs didn't come out this year. Rivers and Mayo were both gone before we drafted, and we needed the OT worse, especially with this being a rare year of depth at the position. I think Woodyard is as good an OLB as there was in the draft and am ecstatic that he came to us as a UDFA. That wasn't an example of brilliant drafting by our club since we didn't select him either, but I'll take luck any day when it comes to building a champ. Maybe he won't turn out. But he and Larsen aren't any weaker than most of the 2nd-and-lower round LB picks.

I don't think LB is a lost cause for us yet by any means. DJ and Boss can play. Winborn's a good backup. But if Larsen can't play the Mike and Kou can't figure it out, then I don't think Webster is the answer, and we'll have to figure it out.

Again.

Maybe Woodyard can play the middle... :confused: I'm grasping at straws here...

~G

GEM
08-11-2008, 03:58 PM
The top two guys I wanted last year were Willis and Beason. I figured Beason would be there for us in the 2nd, though, and he didn't make it out of the first. Willis, well everybody knew we needed to trade up above SF to make that happen and we just couldn't do it. Them's the breaks. If we'd lose more often we'd get better draft picks and wouldn't have these problems.

I'm still pissed that we flushed draft picks to move for Moss, which forced us to flush even more picks to get back for Thomas. The gall of Shanahan to suggest he wanted to dump picks because he just didn't have that many holes on the team was proven to be hubris instead of foresight.

But before last year we weren't dying at LB. We had DJ and Al Wilson, we lost a good one in Mobley due to freak injury and tried to replace him with a formerly good player who just didn't care any more in Gold. That didn't work, but the LB corps wasn't decimated until Wilson couldn't go. Not addressing that hole in the 2007 draft was not forgivable and has indeed hurt us.

But this year? The dominant MLBs didn't come out this year. Rivers and Mayo were both gone before we drafted, and we needed the OT worse, especially with this being a rare year of depth at the position. I think Woodyard is as good an OLB as there was in the draft and am ecstatic that he came to us as a UDFA. That wasn't an example of brilliant drafting by our club since we didn't select him either, but I'll take luck any day when it comes to building a champ. Maybe he won't turn out. But he and Larsen aren't any weaker than most of the 2nd-and-lower round LB picks.

I don't think LB is a lost cause for us yet. But if Larsen can't do it and Kou can't figure it out, then I don't think Webster is the answer, and we'll have to figure it out.

Again.

Maybe Woodyard play the middle... :confused:

~G

Spot on G....as usual. Don't just take a MLB because someone thinks we need one. Make sure it's a GOOD MLB. If a good one isn't available where you're picking, pick the best of what's available for your NEEDS. :shrugs: All star MLB don't come around often so you have to work with what is out there.

Woodyard had the most tackles in the game and he played with an ishload of heart. It's good to see a guy come in fighting for a position.

LRtagger
08-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Maybe Woodyard can play the middle... :confused:

Thats all I can come up with. Although, I think it might end up a disaster.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Next years MLB crop looks to be quite good. Hell, we could even draft D.J.'s brother Worrell from Cal if it suited our fancy. I'm not too high on the guys we have now and don't see much room for improvement. I think it's almost a given that we'll go for a LB within the top three rounds next year. The talent we have at ILB is at best mediocre. Upgrade please.

GEM
08-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Anyone else not sold on Kuti AT ALL? He looked horrible Saturday night. :coffee:

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2008, 04:08 PM
I don't see why people got excited over Lofa Tatupu's back-up in the first place. He doesn't deserve name recognition. Let's refer to him has Tatupu's back-up from now on.

GEM
08-11-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't see why people got excited over Lofa Tatupu's back-up in the first place. He doesn't deserve name recognition. Let's refer to him has Tatupu's back-up from now on.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt and thought perhaps it was just the talent in SEA, blah, blah, blah. But I got it watching the game when the play was coming right at him and I thought Kuti is right there, let's see what you got kid....and he didn't even make a step in the guys direction. :tsk: My thought was....wooohooo kid, let him get to the secondary, maybe they'll make the stop. :rolleyes: All the talk of he's a monster tackler, he's aggressive, not from what I saw...he shyed away from stopping a run. Not good at all. :tsk:

G_Money
08-11-2008, 04:15 PM
He looked lost. I thought he should have some dazed chickens staggering around his head, or one of those giant exclamation points like the anime dudes get when chicks hit them with giant hammers.

Not pretty. He'd better figure out what he's supposed to be doing out there...and fast.

~G

GEM
08-11-2008, 04:15 PM
He looked lost. I thought he should have some dazed chickens staggering around his head, or one of those giant exclamation points like the anime dudes get when chicks hit them with giant hammers.

Not pretty. He'd better figure out what he's supposed to be doing out there...and fast.

~G

Exactly. Just standing there when a play is coming at you isn't going to stop the play. :der:

shank
08-11-2008, 04:21 PM
i'll give him more than one preseason game before i write him off, and still have hopes for him...

but on that play i definitely called him a very un-PC term.

oubronco
08-11-2008, 04:25 PM
What about bringing in Brandon Moore for a look?

Lonestar
08-11-2008, 04:33 PM

I don't think LB is a lost cause for us yet by any means. DJ and Boss can play. Winborn's a good backup. But if Larsen can't play the Mike and Kou can't figure it out, then I don't think Webster is the answer, and we'll have to figure it out.

Again.

~G

I really only remember seeing him once making a HUGE open field tackle after busting the wedge on a kICK OFF that was a 10.0 tackle.. stopped the guy dead in his tracks.. BOOM and he was down..

Maybe he needs to put some weight on and play anywhere he can..

GEM
08-11-2008, 04:36 PM
i'll give him more than one preseason game before i write him off, and still have hopes for him...

but on that play i definitely called him a very un-PC term.

I'm not writing him off completely shank, I was just disappointed. Hopefully he gets better. I haven't and wouldn't write anyone but Ramsey off for 1 preseason game.:tsk:

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Let's write him off.

GEM
08-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Let's write him off.

You just settle down Dream....we have a backup qb to cut.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Ramsey's gone too -- and if Jay doesn't put up this year, we'll have to draft Tebow, Bradford or Stafford.

shank
08-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Let's write him off.

be quiet and drive (far away).

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2008, 04:49 PM
be quiet and drive (far away).

Good song, acoustic version even better.

shank
08-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Good song, acoustic version even better.

fer sher

hamrob
08-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Exactly. Just standing there when a play is coming at you isn't going to stop the play. :der:That's been my point all along and it's not just Kouts...it's all of our LB's...and I hate to say it...but here it goes...including DJ. They wait on the RB's to come to them. There's no attack mentality...plug the hole...heak seeking missal mentality. They allow the game to be played on their side of the line of scrimmage instead of taking it to the offense.

I'm not sold that it's just the talent...but who the heck is coaching these guys? Jim Ryan? :rolleyes:

Gimpygod
08-11-2008, 05:22 PM

True story, in sixth grade a basketball bounced up under my foot and sprained my ankle... I never walked again. Of course I never walked before that either but I have decided, inside my head, that the sprained ankle is the source of all my problems and thus it is so.:beer:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-11-2008, 05:26 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_10167697

Exams on Boss Bailey revealed no breaks or tears, just a severe high ankle sprain that will sideline the strongside linebacker two to four weeks.

Bailey became the Broncos' highest-paid, free-agent acquisition this offseason when he received a five-year, $17.5 million contract that included a $4.3 million signing bonus. He was injured on the second defensive play of the Broncos' preseason opener Saturday night in Houston.

Even if Bailey needs the full four weeks to recover, he would be available for the Broncos' regular-season opener Sept. 8 at Oakland.

There is hope his backup, Louis Green, could return sooner. Green, a special-teams standout the past three seasons, suffered a neck injury and concussion just five plays after Bailey was hurt. Green was immobilized on a backboard and carted off the field, but tests at a hospital cleared him of serious damage.

A veteran who understands he has a roster spot to win, Green will try to return by the Broncos' final preseason game Aug. 29 at Arizona.

Skinny
08-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I hate to hear Boss will miss some playing time for a couple of games, it's important he get as many reps with the rest of the starters as possible. But on the bright side, it's just what a good looking youngster like Woodyard needs... more reps.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2008, 05:51 PM
True story, in sixth grade a basketball bounced up under my foot and sprained my ankle... I never walked again. Of course I never walked before that either but I have decided, inside my head, that the sprained ankle is the source of all my problems and thus it is so.:beer:

What?

NameUsedBefore
08-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Our defense is so.... murky.

Gimpygod
08-11-2008, 06:06 PM
What?

Self-deprecating humor (the picture is actually me on the first signature). Also expect me to say things like, "I wouldn't trust Ramsey as far as I can throw him!" Hilarious... because I can't even move my arms... so I wouldn't be a will to throw him... nevermind.

Gimpygod

PS Asimov is awesome, tried any Steven Baxter? Please phrase your answer in the form of a bronco response.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2008, 06:14 PM
You scare me, and how can you type if you can't move your arms!?

Simple Jaded
08-11-2008, 07:16 PM
"I'll trade our 2nd or 3rd rounder of 09 or both for a great linebacker."

Who's going to make that trade now? Seriously? Teams are getting ready for the 08 season, who would trade their "Great linebacker" at this point in the season?

Even if there was a team willing to take a No2 and/or No3 for their "Great linebacker", I'm sure the Broncos and about 30 other teams would have been willing to make that trade long ago.

This is life in the NFL, and when you already have a mountain of personnel mistakes to overcome it's even harder to overcome significant injuries.

The LB's that will be on the final53 are most likely already on the team, that's just the way it is......

dogfish
08-11-2008, 07:34 PM

Again.

~G

ugh. . . it pretty much galls me to even say this, but here it is. . . IF niko can't handle starting at mike, and IF woodyard continues to impress, starting woodyard at WILL and moving DJ back to MIKE just might end up being our best solution. . .

now, don't anybody jump down my throat because i mentioned moving DJ again-- i'm not saying we should, just pointing out that the option is there. . . i don't love it, at all-- i never thought he should have been moved in the first place! BUT, if the alternative is playing nate webster at MIKE all year, i think you at least have to consider it. . . not that DJ was exactly an unmitigated success at MIKE himself, but i certainly think he's a better player than nate webster, regardless of position. . . i think we can all agree that no one WANTS DJ moved again, but if it comes down to a choice between that and getting gashed up the middle all year long, well. . . it's not like he wasn't playing there last year, and in the end hindering one player's development is a lesser evil than losing a bunch of games. . . i'd certainly do that before putting woodyard there (or winborn, for that matter)-- DJ's better built for the position, and at least has some pro experience there, and under our coaching staff. . .

of course, jordan beck just might be worth a look there also-- i'm not 100% positive, but i thought he was the backup MIKE when he was in atlanta. . . anybody know for sure?

however it pans out, i think a MIKE LB is going to end up being very high on our priority list going into the next offseason. . . luckily, next year's class looks pretty good, and linebacker has been one of the few positions that we've really excelled at drafting under shanahan. . . and i keep seeing comments that maualuga and laurinaitis will be out of reach-- i just can't agree with that. . . for one thing, i guess i'm just not ready to assume that we're going to be drafting significantly lower than we did this year. . . for another, true 4-3 LBs generally aren't at a premium in the draft. . . hell, i can't remember the last LB prospect that looked as good as patrick willis, and even he didn't crack the top ten! rivers was this year's first LB off the board at #9, and he probably wouldn't have been the pick if the saints hadn't jumped up for ellis. . . in '05, the first 4-3 'backer off the board was derrick johnson at #13. . . in '04 it was vilma at #12. . . in '03, the first 4-3 LB selected was nick barnett all the way down at #29. . . in '02, it was napoleon harris at #23-- '01, dan morgan at #11. . . in this century, lavarr arrington and aj hawk are the only ones to go higher than 9, and even ray lewis lasted to the second half of the first round (and demeco ryans lasted to the beginning of the second). . .

maualuga and laurinaitis are excellent prospects, no doubt, but either one of them will have to be simply unbelievable for me to like them as well as patrick willis. . . while i certainly admit that they're likely to go high, i think there's a solid chance that at least one of them will last to the mid teens or so, and i hate to say that i won't be surprised if that's exactly where we're picking. . . also, you never know when a guy might get hurt and drop down the board. . . if nothing else, i'm thinking there's a solid chance we may be within trade range of one of them. . . obviously it's a long season and anything can happen-- i think it's WAY too early to call those guys out of our reach. . .

LRtagger
08-11-2008, 08:04 PM
ugh. . . it pretty much galls me to even say this, but here it is. . . IF niko can't handle starting at mike, and IF woodyard continues to impress, starting woodyard at WILL and moving DJ back to MIKE just might end up being our best solution. . .

now, don't anybody jump down my throat because i mentioned moving DJ again-- i'm not saying we should, just pointing out that the option is there. . . i don't love it, at all-- i never thought he should have been moved in the first place! BUT, if the alternative is playing nate webster at MIKE all year, i think you at least have to consider it. . . not that DJ was exactly an unmitigated success at MIKE himself, but i certainly think he's a better player than nate webster, regardless of position. . . i think we can all agree that no one WANTS DJ moved again, but if it comes down to a choice between that and getting gashed up the middle all year long, well. . . it's not like he wasn't playing there last year, and in the end hindering one player's development is a lesser evil than losing a bunch of games. . . i'd certainly do that before putting woodyard there (or winborn, for that matter)-- DJ's better built for the position, and at least has some pro experience there, and under our coaching staff. . .

of course, jordan beck just might be worth a look there also-- i'm not 100% positive, but i thought he was the backup MIKE when he was in atlanta. . . anybody know for sure?

however it pans out, i think a MIKE LB is going to end up being very high on our priority list going into the next offseason. . . luckily, next year's class looks pretty good, and linebacker has been one of the few positions that we've really excelled at drafting under shanahan. . . and i keep seeing comments that maualuga and laurinaitis will be out of reach-- i just can't agree with that. . . for one thing, i guess i'm just not ready to assume that we're going to be drafting significantly lower than we did this year. . . for another, true 4-3 LBs generally aren't at a premium in the draft. . . hell, i can't remember the last LB prospect that looked as good as patrick willis, and even he didn't crack the top ten! rivers was this year's first LB off the board at #9, and he probably wouldn't have been the pick if the saints hadn't jumped up for ellis. . . in '05, the first 4-3 'backer off the board was derrick johnson at #13. . . in '04 it was vilma at #12. . . in '03, the first 4-3 LB selected was nick barnett all the way down at #29. . . in '02, it was napoleon harris at #23-- '01, dan morgan at #11. . . in this century, lavarr arrington and aj hawk are the only ones to go higher than 9, and even ray lewis lasted to the second half of the first round (and demeco ryans lasted to the beginning of the second). . .

maualuga and laurinaitis are excellent prospects, no doubt, but either one of them will have to be simply unbelievable for me to like them as well as patrick willis. . . while i certainly admit that they're likely to go high, i think there's a solid chance that at least one of them will last to the mid teens or so, and i hate to say that i won't be surprised if that's exactly where we're picking. . . also, you never know when a guy might get hurt and drop down the board. . . if nothing else, i'm thinking there's a solid chance we may be within trade range of one of them. . . obviously it's a long season and anything can happen-- i think it's WAY too early to call those guys out of our reach. . .

I gave you a hi-five because your post was so long, so I figured it had a lot of good info....although I'll admit that I didnt read it.

dogfish
08-11-2008, 08:05 PM
I gave you a hi-five because your post was so long, so I figured it had a lot of good info....although I'll admit that I didnt read it.

LMAO!

:lol:

G_Money
08-11-2008, 08:06 PM

I don't like DJ at Mike. I hated him on the strong side. I wanted him back on the weakside as much as anybody.

But if Woodyard/DJ/Boss is better than DJ/Webster-or-Kou/Boss then we have to look at it. First I'd probably try to put Wesley in the middle and leave DJ where he was, but we'd have to start looking at that soon. At least DJ has now played Mike, and he wasn't terrible any more by the end of the year.

however it pans out, i think a MIKE LB is going to end up being very high on our priority list going into the next offseason. . . luckily, next year's class looks pretty good, and linebacker has been one of the few positions that we've really excelled at drafting under shanahan. . .

No argument there. I dunno that we'll get DJ back next year, so if we're gonna need to go with Boss and some kids/backups at the position, then I hope we at least get some blue-chip kids. I think Woodyard's one, and as long as we hang on to him (since I don't think he'll have a chance to stay "hidden" on the practice squad) I think it'll be good to get a year under his belt before he's called upon to potentially start for us.

But we're gonna need another. Have a sucky year Maualuga. :coffee:

Alternately, Nate Webster learning how to keep his helmet on and tackle people, or Kou learning what non-special-teams plays look like and how to stop the other team from gaining yards with them would be helpful. :beer:

~G

BeefStew25
08-11-2008, 08:14 PM
I close my eyes and dream that Al Wilson is healed.

I think we can now say a majority of us took him for granted.

G_Money
08-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Al Wilson was winding down too, though - if he was perfectly healthy then yes, but with busted thumbs and shoulders he was forgetting how to tackle his ownself even before the neck injury.

I loved who he had been, but who he was becoming was gonna need to be replaced soon too. I'm upset that we didn't prepare for that.

LBs are like RBs - sure, sometimes you get the ones with 12+ year careers, but more often the hits take their toll. So draft extras and prepare. Better to go a year early than a year late, and we're a couple years late and counting on the MLB problem.

~G

BeefStew25
08-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Al Wilson was winding down too, though - if he was perfectly healthy then yes, but with busted thumbs and shoulders he was forgetting how to tackle his ownself even before the neck injury.

I loved who he had been, but who he was becoming was gonna need to be replaced soon too. I'm upset that we didn't prepare for that.

LBs are like RBs - sure, sometimes you get the ones with 12+ year careers, but more often the hits take their toll. So draft extras and prepare. Better to go a year early than a year late, and we're a couple years late and counting on the MLB problem.

~G

Yeah, I know he was growing old, but he had something maybe only DJ has a little of: instinct.

I watched DJ trying to get his brain in gear last year. I mean, he could not pick a gap to save his life.

I would love to get Magualgulauga from USC. But getting him means this year is going to suck.

Al, you couldn't wrap up, but you could hold the fort down until the posse arrived. I :salute: you.

NameUsedBefore
08-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Al Wilson was a poor tackler, but he was always there which is good enough 90% of the time.

BeefStew25
08-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Al Wilson was a poor tackler, but he was always there which is good enough 90% of the time.

Exactly. Dude couldn't raise his arms above his head, but his brain worked.

NameUsedBefore
08-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Exactly. Dude couldn't raise his arms above his head, but his brain worked.

Quite true about his arms. He just had a really blocky build... Was also terrible at catching INTs. The only one I remember was one he got against the Saints and even then he was bobbling it as he took it into the endzone.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2008, 08:33 PM
I'll take Brandon Spikes, TY.

G_Money
08-11-2008, 08:33 PM
DJ can really only play the Will at an exceedingly high level. I've been harping on his lack of instinct and play-recognition for, well, a while now.

Still, I think he's better at the Mike than the guys we have slotted to hold it down now.

I wanted Vilma. I thought that would have really fixed our D. But the Broncos didn't, and now we need to find that Mike. Maybe Kou just had a really stupid game, and he's the guy. I don't think Webster is the guy, but maybe I'm prejudiced.

But it's a problem that needs solving. I miss Al's leadership as much or more than his play. With Lynch gone we really NEED leaders on that side of the ball, and it's not in Champ's nature to be that guy. We've picked up young guys with leadership skills like Woodyard and Larsen, but they have to play - and play WELL - in order to really be leaders.

So a leader at MLB would be nice. An instinctive player would also be nice. Talent would be great too.

So if we can find an instinctual, ultra-talented leader with a great work ethic, I'd be totally satisfied.

Just find me the next Al Wilson, I guess.

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2008, 08:35 PM
DJ can really only play the Will at an exceedingly high level. I've been harping on his lack of instinct and play-recognition for, well, a while now.

Tread carefully. Some people here don't like facing the fact that D.J.'s football IQ is remedial.

BeefStew25
08-11-2008, 08:37 PM

Quite true about his arms. He just had a really blocky build... Was also terrible at catching INTs. The only one I remember was one he got against the Saints and even then he was bobbling it as he took it into the endzone.

Here is a pic a took of him a couple years ago at the Sunday Night blizzard game against the Raiders. I would hope he could sniff the Ring of Fame.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/beefstew25/AlWilson.jpg

NameUsedBefore
08-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Here is a pic a took of him a couple years ago at the Sunday Night blizzard game against the Raiders. I would hope he could sniff the Ring of Fame.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/beefstew25/AlWilson.jpg

Here's one from the '06 game vs. Dolphins.

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/4463/pc1202135xo.jpg

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Al looks like he was born to play football. Honestly.

G_Money
08-11-2008, 08:44 PM
I'll take Brandon Spikes, TY.

Maualuga, Laurinaitis, Spikes or Brinkley, probably in that order. Any of those guys can play inside for me, though Jasper Brinkley may get too big to play a 4-3 and need to be a 3-4. I just think the guy's ultra talented if he can come back from the injury.

All 4 of those guys can really play. We should be able to snag ONE.

~G

NameUsedBefore
08-11-2008, 08:45 PM
And just because I like this picture so much >_>

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3555/pc1202141ua.jpg

G_Money
08-11-2008, 08:48 PM

I can't imagine him not getting the ROF call. Still, Fletcher isn't up there, right? Which means you can be great, and a Bronco hero, and not be in the Ring, I guess.

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
08-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Maualuga, Laurinaitis, Spikes or Brinkley, probably in that order. Any of those guys can play inside for me, though Jasper Brinkley may get too big to play a 4-3 and need to be a 3-4. I just think the guy's ultra talented if he can come back from the injury.

All 4 of those guys can really play. We should be able to snag ONE.

~G

Like them all too, Brinkley the least because of his knee. We'll see how he does this year.

Ellerbe and McKillop (awesome name for a MIKE) would be cool with me a little later on too.

I'm mostly interested in seeing Philistin's transition to the inside with Maryland. If he works out there, definitely worth a look. Well, worth a look anyways. Boss will probably lose his leg before the Jacksonville game; and we could use a legit SAM who isn't on life support.

Magnificent Seven
08-11-2008, 10:40 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- After a hard-fought last-second 19-16 loss to the Texans on Saturday, the Broncos got back onto the practice fields for day 15 of training camp.

Though the players, coaches and media are all looking forward to the team's joint-practices with the Dallas Cowboys on Wednesday and Thursday, everyone at Dove Valley first wanted to know the status of the Broncos' two injured linebackers.

INJURY UPDATE

Both Boss Bailey and Louis Green went down with injuries in the first quarter against Houston, with an ankle and neck injury, respectively. Head Coach Mike Shanahan answered questions about both players following Monday afternoon's practice session.

"Boss is on crutches today -- it's a high ankle sprain," Shanahan said. "I'm really not sure how long it will be. He'll be in a lot of treatment, and as soon as he's ready, he'll be back. We're hoping for sure for the regular season opener. Louis Green is much better. He will not play this week. Hopefully he gets cleared at the end of this week."

The team will take time to further evaluate the status of Green, standard procedure after a neck/head injury. That didn't stop him from watching all of today's action from the sidelines, and Green too spoke with reporters following practice.

"I felt like I could get up and walk off the field just fine," Green told reporters. "But listening to the doctors and Greek (Head Trainer Steve Antonopolus), they said it was best to just go to the hospital and get it checked out, but I'm fine. I'm doing good. It's just day-to-day. I still have a little weakness on my left arm and a little soreness. It just takes a little time. Hopefully it's not too long and I can get back on the field."

WOODYARD IMPRESSING

One player who made a splash in Houston Saturday night, and also spoke to the media after practice, was undrafted rookie Wesley Woodyard, who led the team with eight solo tackles.

"Anytime I am on the field I am going to give it my all," Woodyard told reporters Saturday, after the game. "I am trying to make the team so anything I can do to make the team, I am going to try and do."

At the University of Kentucky, the 6-foot-1, 230-pounder earned first-team All-SEC accolades for both his junior and senior campaigns. In 2007, he led the SEC with 10.6 tackles-per-game and tied for 14th in the nation with 139 total stops.

Though fellow SEC standout linebackers Jerod Mayo from Tennessee and Jonathan Goff from Vanderbilt were both drafted, in the first and fifth rounds respectively, Woodyard beat them both out in numerous events at the NFL Scouting Combine in February. Woodyard's impressive 4.51 second 40-yard dash time edged out both Mayo and Goff, and he also surpassed them in the 20-yard shuttle run with a 4.25.

Though his stats standout, he is smaller than the prototypical NFL linebacker. But that hasn't stopped him from making the most of his opportunity with the Broncos, showing a good nose for the ball in training camp and translating that onto the field against the Texans.

"That's why I went out there on Saturday, to make sure that every opportunity I got out on the field that somebody noticed what I was doing," Woodyard said after practice Monday. "You're always an injury away, so you've got to be ready. When your opportunity comes, you've got to be out there and step in just like you're a first-teamer and be ready to play."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8229

Lonestar
08-12-2008, 12:07 AM

~G

latter part of his career was big hits to try and knock them down was a lousy tackler probably had alot to do with the broken fingers all the time..

But then it MO got sloppy..

Gimpygod
08-12-2008, 10:02 AM
You scare me, and how can you type if you can't move your arms!?

Voice-activated computer, whatever I say is turned into text. The technology is far from perfect, for instance, I was playing poker the other day against a guy from England. He said he was from Essex and I said "I like Essex" except the computer wrote "I like ass sex." And I didn't catch it for correction until after I said enter. Extremely embarrassing. Good thing the starship enterprise had better voice-recognition or else the crew could have had some very embarrassing and probably quite painful experiences.

Not quite as painful and embarrassing as watching Ramsey play of course but what else possibly could be that horrible to watch???? Stevie wonder playing professional dodgeball maybe?

topscribe
08-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Voice-activated computer, whatever I say is turned into text. The technology is far from perfect, for instance, I was playing poker the other day against a guy from England. He said he was from Essex and I said "I like Essex" except the computer wrote "I like ass sex." And I didn't catch it for correction until after I said enter. Extremely embarrassing. Good thing the starship enterprise had better voice-recognition or else the crew could have had some very embarrassing and probably quite painful experiences.

Not quite as painful and embarrassing as watching Ramsey play of course but what else possibly could be that horrible to watch???? Stevie wonder playing professional dodgeball maybe?

:lol: Thanks, I needed that.

-----

sanluis
08-12-2008, 12:33 PM
J. Beck #57 out Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. What about this guy? You have your answer right under your nose. :listen:

Lonestar
08-12-2008, 01:02 PM
if it is a High ankle sprain like Mikey just reported then it will be a much longer "full" recovery time frame.

Dortoh
08-12-2008, 01:17 PM
if it is a High ankle sprain like Mikey just reported then it will be a much longer "full" recovery time frame.

High ankle sprains can be an issue for long periods of time. I think its been reported 4-6 weeks. The biggest problem will be lack of playing time as a unit before the season starts. Honestly the LB'ers did little to impress in game 1 as it is. Lack of chemistry is not what the doctor ordered for our run game defense.

Broncos Mtnman
08-12-2008, 02:50 PM

For the record, he had a similar injury in 2005 in week 11 that ended up putting him on the IR.

He's been injury prone his whole career. Don't be surprised if he's out most of the first half of the season.

Even if he comes back sooner, history isn't in his favor that something else won't happen.

:mad:

Lonestar
08-12-2008, 04:01 PM
For the record, he had a similar injury in 2005 in week 11 that ended up putting him on the IR.

He's been injury prone his whole career. Don't be surprised if he's out most of the first half of the season.

Even if he comes back sooner, history isn't in his favor that something else won't happen.

:mad:

Hmmm one wonders if he is going to blame the FA blunder on Ted also.. :laugh: