PDA

View Full Version : Why do they want to change the rules so Denver loses?

lex
09-18-2007, 09:55 PM
OK, after the Buffalo game, Rich Eisen asked some head of officiating with the league about changing the rule on Selvin Youngs play where he alertly knocked the ball out of bounds.

Now people are calling Shanahans timing for calling the TO cheap and Ive heard another talking head mentione changing the rule for when youre allowed to call a TO to ice the kicker.

Does anyone need anymore proof that people dont like Denver?

shank
09-18-2007, 10:05 PM
i thought they declined the penalty against selvin... i don't see how they could complain unless they want it to be a loss of down penalty, which is too stiff for something that heads-up...

and every coach uses time outs to ice kickers. seriously, this is not even close to a new thing, it just doesn't usually work, so the one time when it does happen to work, it becomes an 'issue'. nothing will change, as it shouldn't.

lex
09-18-2007, 10:13 PM
i thought they declined the penalty against selvin... i don't see how they could complain unless they want it to be a loss of down penalty, which is too stiff for something that heads-up...

and every coach uses time outs to ice kickers. seriously, this is not even close to a new thing, it just doesn't usually work, so the one time when it does happen to work, it becomes an 'issue'. nothing will change, as it shouldn't.

Eisen wanted a time run off.

Calif. Bronco
09-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Regarding the time-out, I don't see how they can really change that. I mean a field goal is a regular play (usually 4th down) so if they try to institute some rule about not being able to call timeout right before the snap they'd have to do it for regular plays too. And there's no way they're going to limit that. I mean we see defenses call timeout right before the snap of the ball quite often.

The fact of the matter is, most coaches try to "ice" the kicker by calling timeout before the team even breaks the huddle. It rarely works. Our coach, however, is not "most coaches" so he chose to do it at a different time and the result was fabulous :salute:

Calif. Bronco
09-18-2007, 10:19 PM

Then he's an idiot, IMHO (or at least he is in this case - I actually like the guy.) Just because our play happened to occur late in the game doesn't mean it always will. If a player makes that move midway through the third quarter, what kind of a penalty would a time run off be? :confused:

lex
09-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Regarding the time-out, I don't see how they can really change that. I mean a field goal is a regular play (usually 4th down) so if they try to institute some rule about not being able to call timeout right before the snap they'd have to do it for regular plays too. And there's no way they're going to limit that. I mean we see defenses call timeout right before the snap of the ball quite often.

The fact of the matter is, most coaches try to "ice" the kicker by calling timeout before the team even breaks the huddle. It rarely works. Our coach, however, is not "most coaches" so he chose to do it at a different time and the result was fabulous :salute:

I agree. I expect to see a trend. I think people will start copying this method. Who cares what the fat old blowhards say.

TXBRONC
09-18-2007, 10:28 PM

I think they did have some time run off the clock. Even so good grief with the penalty what did that put us in something like 3rd and forever?

topscribe
09-18-2007, 10:36 PM
OK, after the Buffalo game, Rich Eisen asked some head of officiating with the league about changing the rule on Selvin Youngs play where he alertly knocked the ball out of bounds.

Now people are calling Shanahans timing for calling the TO cheap and Ive heard another talking head mentione changing the rule for when youre allowed to call a TO to ice the kicker.

It's not necessarily against Denver.

It's called cry babies. :Cry:

:violin:

-----

Simple Jaded
09-18-2007, 11:49 PM
It's not necessarily against Denver.

It's called cry babies. :Cry:

:violin:

-----

Lex has a good point though, if it were any other team (The Patriots even) everybody would be talking about how smart they are.

I mean, if it were Lane Kiffin, everybody would be calling him The Next Mastermind.

I really don't care if people don't like the Broncos, but I can see/sense a bias sometimes. Kinda like when Rich Gannons quality of commentary improved noticably when the Raiders started to get back into the game.....

BigBroncLove
09-18-2007, 11:56 PM
Lex has a good point though, if it were any other team (The Patriots even) everybody would be talking about how smart they are.

I mean, if it were Lane Kiffin, everybody would be calling him The Next Mastermind.

I really don't care if people don't like the Broncos, but I can see/sense a bias sometimes. Kinda like when Rich Gannons quality of commentary improved noticably when the Raiders started to get back into the game.....

Yeah the man could barely get out a five word sentence before the second half :lol:

Medford Bronco
09-19-2007, 12:02 AM

I watched the NFL replay on NFL network tonight and
Gannon was very fair I thought. He gave a lot of praise to Shanahan, Henry and the Broncos. He did not complain about he timeout, at least what I could take. (had to have the tv on low as the kiddies are sleeping lol)

He likes this team and thinks they will get better as Cutler improves.

I still hope the Tds can increase. Too many FGs so far for my taste.
If Denvers play like this vs Indy or SD they will get smoked, especially in Indy.

DenBronx
09-19-2007, 12:10 AM

eisen just tries to keep it interesting to viewers. ive seen him ask questions he knows the answer to already only to have the officiator give him the answer he already knew. he just tries to twist things a little or give a differant view/opinion. he does this everytime they do this segment...everytime.

sneakers
09-19-2007, 02:05 AM

Here, it's "Tricky Shanny". Up to his old tricks again. :D

lex
09-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Here, it's "Tricky Shanny". Up to his old tricks again. :D

What old tricks?

In-com-plete
09-19-2007, 10:16 AM

Anyone happen to hear Gannon on that safety punt? The returner let the ball bounce, it kicked left (toward the top of your TV) and went by the returner. Gannon said it took a bad bounce.

Bad bounce? Yeah, I guess it did.....if you're pulling for the Raiders.

But about the kick/time out. What would happen if Janokowski misses the first but makes the second? Are we sitting here, all pissed off, bashing Shanahan? Are these talking heads saying that time out shouldn't have been called or shouldn't have even been allowed to be called?

I saw that happen to the Bears (I think it was the Bears) last year. Lovie called a time out right before the snap but the opposing kicker still got it off and missed it. He made it on the second attempt. Now this was before the half, but did anyone bash him? Did anyone say that time out shouldn't have even been allowed to be called?

broncos9697
09-19-2007, 03:27 PM

thats part of the game...A time-out can and should be able to be called anytime ...they are just sore losers:elefant:

broncosfanscott
09-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Here is an article I read in the San Diego paper Tuesday morning and was totally shocked about the title of the article. Classless? NO! Stretching the boundaries of fairness? NO! It is totally within the rules and if it helps you win then go for it. Besides if the call blows up in Shanahan's face then it does.........doesn't hurt to try since it is a 52-yard kick. For those who don't like the rules, either change it or be quiet because everybody is in favor of it if it helps their team.

PRO FOOTBALL JERRY MAGEE
Timeout: Mike's tactic classless

Shanahan's icing should be banned

September 18, 2007

Week 2 in the NFL, and it left some questions.

One must wonder how Mike Shanahan would have felt if Sebastian Janikowski had missed that 52-yard placement that the Denver coach's belated timeout negated during the extra period of the Broncos' 23-20 overtime escape against Oakland.

AdvertisementAs it was, Janikowski's kick was accurate, but because Shanahan had obtained a timeout a second or two before he approached the football, he had to kick again. On his second attempt, Janikowski had the ball ricochet off the top of the left upright of the goal posts. The Broncos then proceeded to position Jason Elam for a climactic 23-yard field goal.
The fairness of this is troubling. Shanahan's gesture for a timeout came too late for the referee to interrupt Janikowski's first kick. No matter how it would turn out, this made Shanahan a winner. Janikowski had expended a good deal of energy in propelling the football as far as he did. Having to kick again, he could not have had the same energy and his focus likely was not as keen as it had been.

Shanahan's action was within the rules, but if his intent was to “ice” the kicker, I wish he'd have taken timeout sooner. By acting as he did, he gained an advantage that, while technically legal, stretched the boundaries of fair play.

One also has to question if Bill Belichick might have had that clandestine cameraman of his at Qualcomm Stadium during last season's Chargers-Patriots playoff game. In their 38-14 conquest of the San Diegans, the Patriots appeared to know precisely what the visiting team would be doing and when.

For classless, write down Patriots owner Robert Kraft awarding the game football to Belichick. This was no time to be honoring him. By his act, Kraft seemed to be condoning Belichick's unlawful snooping.

omac
09-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Here is an article I read in the San Diego paper Tuesday morning and was totally shocked about the title of the article. Classless? NO! Stretching the boundaries of fairness? NO! It is totally within the rules and if it helps you win then go for it. Besides if the call blows up in Shanahan's face then it does.........doesn't hurt to try since it is a 52-yard kick. For those who don't like the rules, either change it or be quiet because everybody is in favor of it if it helps their team.

PRO FOOTBALL JERRY MAGEE
Timeout: Mike's tactic classless

Shanahan's icing should be banned

September 18, 2007

Week 2 in the NFL, and it left some questions.

One must wonder how Mike Shanahan would have felt if Sebastian Janikowski had missed that 52-yard placement that the Denver coach's belated timeout negated during the extra period of the Broncos' 23-20 overtime escape against Oakland.

AdvertisementAs it was, Janikowski's kick was accurate, but because Shanahan had obtained a timeout a second or two before he approached the football, he had to kick again. On his second attempt, Janikowski had the ball ricochet off the top of the left upright of the goal posts. The Broncos then proceeded to position Jason Elam for a climactic 23-yard field goal.
The fairness of this is troubling. Shanahan's gesture for a timeout came too late for the referee to interrupt Janikowski's first kick. No matter how it would turn out, this made Shanahan a winner. Janikowski had expended a good deal of energy in propelling the football as far as he did. Having to kick again, he could not have had the same energy and his focus likely was not as keen as it had been.

Shanahan's action was within the rules, but if his intent was to “ice” the kicker, I wish he'd have taken timeout sooner. By acting as he did, he gained an advantage that, while technically legal, stretched the boundaries of fair play.

One also has to question if Bill Belichick might have had that clandestine cameraman of his at Qualcomm Stadium during last season's Chargers-Patriots playoff game. In their 38-14 conquest of the San Diegans, the Patriots appeared to know precisely what the visiting team would be doing and when.

For classless, write down Patriots owner Robert Kraft awarding the game football to Belichick. This was no time to be honoring him. By his act, Kraft seemed to be condoning Belichick's unlawful snooping.

Thanks for the article.

This writer is obviously biased.

First of all, there was nothing "belated" about the timeout. In fact Shanny informed the ref of what he was going to do before he even did it. This writer obviously hasn't seen plays wherein a team calls a timeout just before the opposing quarterback gets the snap. It's been done quite a few times, so why should the situation with a kick be any different?

Fair play? First of all, icing a player is about messing with his nerves so that he doesn't perform up to his usual standard. So Shanny's icing was executed brilliantly; icing is icing ... don't say one form of icing is fair play and the other isn't, even though both fall within the rules. This guy doesn't have a clue.

And his comments on Kraft giving Belichick the game ball is way off. He's actually shown more honor in doing that, sticking by his coach who's under fire, instead of dropping support for him like another owner has done.

This is from a San Diego paper? Yeah, that does sound like the typical whining from San Diego. :lol:

Skinny
09-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Here is an article I read in the San Diego paper Tuesday morning and was totally shocked about the title of the article.Thanks for the read scott
JERRY MAGEE
Shanahan's action was within the rules, but if his intent was to “ice” the kicker, I wish he'd have taken timeout sooner. By acting as he did, he gained an advantage that, while technically legal, stretched the boundaries of fair play. :Cry: Welcome to the National Football League Miss Magee! :lol:

broncosfanscott
09-20-2007, 09:31 PM
You think a sports writer for a newspaper would have an objectionable point of view and limit the bias when it comes to their rivals. However, not with this guy.

Skywalker
09-20-2007, 09:47 PM

How would they change the rule? I compare to what Selvin did to intentional grounding...we got a penalty for what Selvin did, and it set us in a 3rd-and-long. Sorry we converted the 3rd down and won, crybabies :rolleyes:

lex
09-20-2007, 10:01 PM
How would they change the rule? I compare to what Selvin did to intentional grounding...we got a penalty for what Selvin did, and it set us in a 3rd-and-long. Sorry we converted the 3rd down and won, crybabies :rolleyes:

Rich wanted some time to be taken off the clock.

broncosfanscott
09-20-2007, 10:12 PM

He also wanted a Super Bowl ring. :laugh:

Skywalker
09-20-2007, 10:51 PM

Ah....why would he want time taken off? :confused:

lex
09-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Ah....why would he want time taken off? :confused:

Look at the thread title. Maybe in Rich's case it has to do with the fact that he lives in LA and all the local talking heads are probably crying about this there. Or maybe its just the general bias against Denver. Im not sure but again, he asked Mike Perreira about the pivotal play of the Denver game and Perreira basically told Rich to shut up already.

Mount-n-Groan
09-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Janikowski had expended a good deal of energy in propelling the football as far as he did. Having to kick again, he could not have had the same energy and his focus likely was not as keen as it had been.

Perfect example of how being biased leads to being irrational.

I'll give him the focus part (as that is what icing the kicker is all about), but the not having the same energy argument is absurd and actually irrelevant in this case.

Man-cow's first kick would've probably been good from 60+ yards out. That second kick would've been good from 70+ (if it was good :D ). I mean, it bounced off the top of the goal post from 52 yards out!!! :eek:

It appears to me that Man-cow's energy output actually INCREASED on the second kick. Granted, it wasn't "the same", but the author seemed to be implying that not being the same means that it was less.

BigBroncLove
09-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Perfect example of how being biased leads to being irrational.

I'll give him the focus part (as that is what icing the kicker is all about), but the not having the same energy argument is absurd and actually irrelevant in this case.

Man-cow's first kick would've probably been good from 60+ yards out. That second kick would've been good from 70+ (if it was good :D ). I mean, it bounced off the top of the goal post from 52 yards out!!! :eek:

It appears to me that Man-cow's energy output actually INCREASED on the second kick. Granted, it wasn't "the same", but the author seemed to be implying that not being the same means that it was less.

I agree. I've watched that field goal many many times now, and that missed FG was a massive kick. It looked more like a kickoff then a FG attempt. JAni has a huge leg, even at his age...... thank god for that favorable bounce :pray: :beer: