PDA

View Full Version : u29 report on clady's debut

underrated29
08-10-2008, 11:29 AM
First of all i am sure there are like 10 threads about ryan clady. So here is 1 more. If you dont like it. Dont look at it. This thread is for those interested and also my amusement.

Anyhow- This morning i just re watched the entire game focusing only on CLADY!

Here is what i saw.

At first going against mario, ryan had a few struggles. Probably due to the fact that he hastn gone against someone as good as mario before. However, that changed as the game went on. Ryan pretty much owned after he got accustomed to the better play and release of the butterflies.

The only real weakness i see in his game is against the bullrush. There were 2 occasions i believe were williams bullrushed him and ryan struggled. So he will have to work on his lower strength and leverage to keep from getting pushed back.

However, in passing ryan did really really well. There were a few occasions where he looked to be thinking to much instead of finding his guy and taking him out. This will come in due time.

Obviously being a rook, he has lots of things he needs to work on. Keep in mind they arent weaknesses, just areas he can improve. After wathcing him again i see that sometimes he isnt taking his man out. By that i mean to say that he will find his man and lock on, but not really drive him off, or pankake his butt on the ground.

There was one play where he was supposed to cut block the guy and he did get down to do it, but he didnt finish the man off. The defender stopped hall for a minimal gain. Had he finished him i think hall could have gotten past the defenders for a big gain. LIke i said this will come in time.

I did notice that clady gets to the second level very quickly, and very effectively. I would still like to see him flatten his guys when he gets there but its his first game.

OVerall i was a praponent of drafting stewart, and i liked the clady pick, but i have to admit that he is by far and away the best 1st rdr we have drafted since jay. This guy will eventually be one of the best in the league i have no doubt. His size, and blocks are great as well as his ability to shuffle side to side will keep the rusher in front of him on ins and outs.

Ok- couldnt be real descriptive as i am late and getting yelled at to get in the shower, but there it is in a nutshell.

We did right with clady and he is gonna be awesome!

WARHORSE
08-10-2008, 12:05 PM
I agree.

Theres no one on Denvers team to give reps in training camp to Clady that can mirror Mario Williams. Mario Williams is a freak. But I think Clady did exactly what one would have expected. He got caught off guard by Marios strength, speed, size combo.

But Jay never touched the ground, whereas last year Mario ate Jay for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a midnight snack.

Clady looks to me to be the real deal so far. Theres still alot of football to be played, but hes gone beyond our hopes already.

Davii
08-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Jay didn't hit the deck once. Obviously he's a rook and still has a lot of growing to do, which is exciting.

He's already better than what we expected him to be, growth from here and he will be damn good.

Skinny
08-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I thought Clady did pretty good. He had a bit of a rough start but when he settled down he held his own. The athletic ability jumps out at you, he has all the tools. He just some needs so more experiance to learn the game of course.

slim
08-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Nice post U29. I didn't start watching until the second quarter and the picture I had wasn't the greatest (thanks for the link Tned), but I agree with what you said. At times Clady looked like he was on skates (bull rush ate him up), but there were plenty of positives as well.

I am looking forward to seeing the entire game tonight.

shank
08-10-2008, 01:00 PM
i have to admit that he is by far and away the best 1st rdr we have drafted since jay.

way to go out on a limb and say that he's better than jarvis ;)

good analysis. i think he looked good in his debut against a great player.

i think him and harris both have the ability, they just need to get the experience.

Hobe
08-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks U

The wily old veteran took the rook to school. The coaches have some good film to should Clady on Monday. Mow we will see how quickly he learns.

honz
08-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I'll get to watch the game tonight, but it sounds like Clady is performing better than I thought he would early on. As we found out last year...going up against Mario is no easy task. It sounds like he held his own pretty well.

Bad Intentions
08-10-2008, 03:13 PM
He improved as the game went on and he adjusted to Mario's strength and speed. He still got caught a few times but it wasn't like Lepsis and Pears last year!

BroncoWave
08-10-2008, 03:34 PM
First of all i am sure there are like 10 threads about ryan clady. So here is 1 more. If you dont like it. Dont look at it. This thread is for those interested and also my amusement.

Anyhow- This morning i just re watched the entire game focusing only on CLADY!

Here is what i saw.

At first going against mario, ryan had a few struggles. Probably due to the fact that he hastn gone against someone as good as mario before. However, that changed as the game went on. Ryan pretty much owned after he got accustomed to the better play and release of the butterflies.

The only real weakness i see in his game is against the bullrush. There were 2 occasions i believe were williams bullrushed him and ryan struggled. So he will have to work on his lower strength and leverage to keep from getting pushed back.

However, in passing ryan did really really well. There were a few occasions where he looked to be thinking to much instead of finding his guy and taking him out. This will come in due time.

Obviously being a rook, he has lots of things he needs to work on. Keep in mind they arent weaknesses, just areas he can improve. After wathcing him again i see that sometimes he isnt taking his man out. By that i mean to say that he will find his man and lock on, but not really drive him off, or pankake his butt on the ground.

There was one play where he was supposed to cut block the guy and he did get down to do it, but he didnt finish the man off. The defender stopped hall for a minimal gain. Had he finished him i think hall could have gotten past the defenders for a big gain. LIke i said this will come in time.

I did notice that clady gets to the second level very quickly, and very effectively. I would still like to see him flatten his guys when he gets there but its his first game.

OVerall i was a praponent of drafting stewart, and i liked the clady pick, but i have to admit that he is by far and away the best 1st rdr we have drafted since jay. This guy will eventually be one of the best in the league i have no doubt. His size, and blocks are great as well as his ability to shuffle side to side will keep the rusher in front of him on ins and outs.

Ok- couldnt be real descriptive as i am late and getting yelled at to get in the shower, but there it is in a nutshell.

We did right with clady and he is gonna be awesome!

Well seeing as he is only the second first rounder we've gotten since jay, he doesn't have too much competition! :D

omac
08-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Nice observations, underrated29! :salute:

I looked at the Cutler highlights on nfl.com and Clady's pass protection was pretty good. Jay had much more time in the pocket than he did last season.

underrated29
08-10-2008, 05:32 PM
LOL!!

Sorry guys i was trying to type that all out really fast. I meant to say the best first rdr besides jay, in the past like 6 years. HIm, jay and dj are the best and i might even rank it that way. Dont get me wrong i love DJ too, but i think clady has the ability to be one of those once in a long while types.

For those watching the game tonight- see if you concur. At first clady had trouble, then he figured out what was beating him and adjusted accordingly.

Like i said though look out for the bull rush. Mario got the better of him a couple times that way and so did one other player. So he will just need to get a little nastier when they bring the bull.

Also the cutback run that with more experience he would have sealed off, was hall with about 2-4 min left before halftime. (sorry dont know exact time)

Had he taken the guy out at his feet (which he tried) hall might have been able to sneak through. Little petty stuff like that.

TXBRONC
08-10-2008, 06:58 PM
I haven't seen the game yet but from everything I have heard they were pleaded. However, one thing to keep is he didn't play entire game against Mario so Clady may not have seen the full arsenal of Williams' moves.

underrated29
08-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Yes that is true.

for now though I would say clady has won the battle. As for the war............

well its going to be exciting!

Ziggy
08-12-2008, 04:30 PM
Clady will get another quick lesson this week with the Cowboys. He goes from Mario Williams to Demarcus Ware. 2 of the top pass rushers in the game today. The preseason schedule couldn't have been scripted any better for him. I was an advocate for drafting Williams before Clady, but I'm glad the Broncos took the other route. I think we may have finally found our franchise LT.

OMorange&blue
08-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I haven't seen the game yet but from everything I have heard they were pleaded. However, one thing to keep is he didn't play entire game against Mario so Clady may not have seen the full arsenal of Williams' moves.

Plus he had a training wheel. Still pretty solid for a rookie LT. I feel alot better about clady's play than I do about the run blocking from the interior or the pass rush from the front 4. Or ryan harris. Taking a dump on Saturday.