PDA

View Full Version : Some good, bad and, yes, ugly

omac
08-10-2008, 05:27 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10153834

Some good, bad and, yes, ugly
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

HOUSTON — The first of the Broncos' two Texhibitions was a spaghetti Western — someone good, something bad, somewhat ugly and some meatballs.

As an exhibition, it went.

At least they played in an air-conditioned building on Saturday night. (Double 100 degrees in Denver, and you have Houston.)

The Broncos lost 19-16, as if that matters. The Broncos lost a couple of linebackers, and that does matter.

Mike Shanahan said the Broncos "need a little more continuity here, and I thought we got it. . . . I will have to take a look at the film for sure."

I don't have to stare at the film. I watched the game from near the roof.

Start with the good:

Jay Cutler played very well. He certainly doesn't have a QB-in-the-headlights expression, and he certainly doesn't seem to be affected on the field by his diabetes, and he certainly understands the wants, the needs, the playbook of Shanahan.

The Broncos' opening series was a shambles. But, in the next possession, Cutler impressively took the group 74 yards and finished off the touchdown with a 15-yard scramble and jump into the end zone that was rather reminiscent of a past figure.

A satisfied Cutler then relaxed.

Eddie Royal, the club's receiver/returner second-round draft pick, acts like a pro player. He caught a couple of passes, offered a couple of early returns and should contribute — and will have to — right away.

Rookie running back Anthony Alridge revealed why he had more 40-yard-plus plays than anyone else in college football the past three years. He came up with a 27-yard kickoff return and a burner 19-yard run outside on the right side. But he fumbled, which won't get him a gold star. Andre Hall, who is trying to be a gold starter at running back, rushed eight times for 43 yards and was handy.

The offensive line — missing its center and starting new guys all over — held up (and held on), not allowing a sack despite . . .

and we'll get to that in the bad and ugly.

The Broncos' defense allowed only one touchdown and, given injuries in camp and in the first quarter, is improved over last year's Arena League-like outfit. Backup corners Domonique Foxworth and Karl Paymah, starting for the dinged Champ Bailey and Dre Bly, performed like starters. Cornerback could be the Broncos' best depth of position.

D.J. Williams is home again on the outside.

The defensive line was not generally embarrassed; a duct-taped linebacking corps did OK, and new free-agent safeties Marlon McCree and Marquand Rogers won't make you forget John Lynch — and especially not Steve Atwater or Dennis Smith — but they came on the blitz, hit hard and were smart.

And a fellow named Christian Morton, who is the ninth-string cornerback or something, has a sack and six tackles. He had the strongest game by a C. Morton since the Broncos' former quarterback.

Sam Paulescu feathered a 51-yard punt.

Brandon Marshall caught a couple of short passes and had no, uh, trouble.

The bad:

The Broncos didn't start three-fourths of the defensive secondary because of injury, then lost two linebackers — Boss Bailey (sprained ankle) and his replacement, Louis Green (neck), in the first six minutes.

Ryan Clady, the No. 1 pick, became the first Broncos' rookie to start the opening exhibition at left tackle, and he looked every bit of it. Clady played the entire first half and was flattened like a dry-cleaned starched shirt in the beginning, and often. He was overmatched against Texans defensive end Mario Williams (the former No. 1 pick overall). He will need help. Ryan Harris was no bargain at right tackle. E-74. But veteran pickup Casey Wiegmann filled in admirably for Tom Nalen, and the line did keep the Texans several feet away from Cutler.

If running back Selvin Young intends to rush for 2,000 yards (his prediction), four attempts for 3 yards — running in wet cement — is not the way to do it. Michael Pittman didn't help himself or the Broncos.

And the other new wide receivers were unnoticed.

Second-year defensive end Tim Crowder is third on the depth chart, and he might fall farther except nobody else was a jumpin' Jack Flash on Saturday.

The ugly:

Matt Prater is supposed to be the heir apparent to Jason Elam. The Praternator promptly missed a 30-yard attempt. Not good. He did make his next three, but none occurred with anything on the line. And he was not booming kickoffs through the end zone. The jury has not come back with a verdict.

The Broncos scored one lousy, stinking touchdown. That's as ugly as last year.

Some good, some bad, some ugly, some garlicky.

But all those former Broncos assistants (six, led by head coach Gary Kubiak) with the Texans and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan must feel more good than bad.

Next, the Broncos play the other Texas team and former Broncos coach Wade Phillips.

What is this, an updated George Strait song? "All the Broncos' Exes Coach in Texas."

I'm glad that the OL seems to be much better at protecting Cutler, and it's good to know that Aldridge, Royal, and Hall made show some promise. I'm really glad that Cutler is in full command of the offense.

LRtagger
08-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Most of the article was pretty spot in. I disagree with a few things...

Yea, Prater missed his first kick, but I was glad to see he recovered and kept his composure...knocking down the next three. He could have easily panicked (as almost 99% of Broncos fans did), but he kept his cool and was pretty solid. Elam was 1 for 3 in his game with Atlanta FWIW.

I didn't see Clady getting flattened like a pancake. He was pretty solid considering he IS a rookie, after all. He was excellent in pass protection against one of the best pass rushers in the league. We didn't allow a single sack (how many sacks did we give up to them last year??).

Scheff had a great game. I thought the rest of the WR corps looked pretty good...considering they had Ramsey throwing (if you can call it that) to them for a majority of the game.

The rest of the article was pretty accurate IMO

BroncoWave
08-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Yeah, he was way off on Clady. He didn't have the best game but he played better than Paige said.

Ziggy
08-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Clady more than held his own in pass protection, but Mario made him look like a lost rookie on a couple of running plays. I thought Mccree had a good game, ending a drive in the red zone and nearly taking it back for 6. Prater redeemed himself on field goals, but showed none of the kickoff power that he had in camp. Kris Brown definitely had the strongest leg tonight.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-10-2008, 09:38 AM
So after week 1, who is predicted to be the starting RB? Did Hall look THAT much better than Selvin? Granted, I'm sure it was vs second/third string, but 3 yards on 4 carries is not acceptable....preseason or not.

JONtheBRONCO
08-10-2008, 11:16 AM
I wasn't able to watch the first quarter, but from there on I noted a couple things.

- Hall looked pretty darn good, running downhill and sneaking past defenders for a couple impressive first downs.

- Aldridge looks like a poor man's Chris Johnson (Titans). He has great quickness and can cut the corner on a dime. Needless to say I was most excited when he touched the ball and am jacked to watch him this season.

- I guess Woody simply forgot Wesley Woodyard in the "good" section of his article. This guy was a machine last night. Making a couple nice hits and plugging the running lanes and flying ALL over the field. His pursuit from sideline to sideline seperated him from all other Bronco defenders and Texan defenders. Hard to imagine we nabbed this guy as an UDFA. 8 tackles.

- D-Jax is kind of a wimp.

- Pittman looked like he had the lights on one play, then off the next, guess we'll have to wait and see how the big man holds up the next couple games.

- Ramsey looked like a chicken with his head cut off. I was actually quite impressed with Hackney. Hackeny made several throws on the run and escaped a couple should be sacks. His deep pass to Scheffler had me standing on my feet, hands raised in the air. A couple more outings like this and I wouldn't be surprised to see him ranked as the #2 behind golden boy.

- The defense looked better, and I agree with Woody about CB being the deepest position on the Broncos depth chart.

- Harris, you literally are the reason for my stubbed left toe and numbness in my right index finger. You and others made me want to frog splash an infant. It's called a snap count, and if your going to hold, make sure its not from the back of the defensive ends jersey, or his shoulder pads. Christ. For that matter, all the flags last night were ridiculous.

Other than that, it was the first pre-season game, nothing to look at besides individual performance. Some good, some bad. I for one am excited about the up-coming year. With that said, I am fist pumping the idea of all the starters out there, and seeing big J & Co. leading Denver this fall. Go Broncos!

omac
08-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Clady more than held his own in pass protection, but Mario made him look like a lost rookie on a couple of running plays. I thought Mccree had a good game, ending a drive in the red zone and nearly taking it back for 6. Prater redeemed himself on field goals, but showed none of the kickoff power that he had in camp. Kris Brown definitely had the strongest leg tonight.

Seems like the scouting report on Clady is spot-on:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/ryanclady.html

An outstanding pass blocker; Gets the job done as a run blocker but is not necessarily dominant; He isn't overly powerful at the point of attack and can get pushed back.

Well, it's good to know he's fulfilling the main reason the Broncos got him: to protect Cutler's backside. He's a hard worker with physical qualities and excellent athleticism, so I think it's only a matter of time till he excels in the Broncos zone-blocking scheme.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Casey Weigmann did not play well.

omac
08-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I wasn't able to watch the first quarter, but from there on I noted a couple things.

- Hall looked pretty darn good, running downhill and sneaking past defenders for a couple impressive first downs.

- Aldridge looks like a poor man's Chris Johnson (Titans). He has great quickness and can cut the corner on a dime. Needless to say I was most excited when he touched the ball and am jacked to watch him this season.

- I guess Woody simply forgot Wesley Woodyard in the "good" section of his article. This guy was a machine last night. Making a couple nice hits and plugging the running lanes and flying ALL over the field. His pursuit from sideline to sideline seperated him from all other Bronco defenders and Texan defenders. Hard to imagine we nabbed this guy as an UDFA. 8 tackles.

- D-Jax is kind of a wimp.

- Pittman looked like he had the lights on one play, then off the next, guess we'll have to wait and see how the big man holds up the next couple games.

- Ramsey looked like a chicken with his head cut off. I was actually quite impressed with Hackney. Hackeny made several throws on the run and escaped a couple should be sacks. His deep pass to Scheffler had me standing on my feet, hands raised in the air. A couple more outings like this and I wouldn't be surprised to see him ranked as the #2 behind golden boy.

- The defense looked better, and I agree with Woody about CB being the deepest position on the Broncos depth chart.

- Harris, you literally are the reason for my stubbed left toe and numbness in my right index finger. You and others made me want to frog splash an infant. It's called a snap count, and if your going to hold, make sure its not from the back of the defensive ends jersey, or his shoulder pads. Christ. For that matter, all the flags last night were ridiculous.

Other than that, it was the first pre-season game, nothing to look at besides individual performance. Some good, some bad. I for one am excited about the up-coming year. With that said, I am fist pumping the idea of all the starters out there, and seeing big J & Co. leading Denver this fall. Go Broncos!

Nice breakdown! :salute:

Was Jackson really that bad?

What's hopeful with the defense is that we didn't even play Robertson, Champ or Dre.

With Harris, aside from the costly penalties, how was he at pass protection and run blocking? Was he getting beaten too easily? Was it a technique or skill thing, or was he just physically getting dominated?

Requiem / The Dagda
08-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Harris did well getting to the second level on run blocking plays. I won't be able to see the NFLN recap, but for those of you who can -- watch the series Hall was on the field with Harris and Company and you'll see the plays I'm talking about. I didn't get to see Harris' bending movement in pass protection, whether he was waist or knee bending -- but I thought he did well outside the blatant push in the back/hold in pass protection.

hamrob
08-10-2008, 12:47 PM
So after week 1, who is predicted to be the starting RB? Did Hall look THAT much better than Selvin? Granted, I'm sure it was vs second/third string, but 3 yards on 4 carries is not acceptable....preseason or not.Better question IMO: Are both Young and Hall good enough to carry our running game in a division that boasts LT, LJ and McFadden?

hamrob
08-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Nice breakdown! :salute:

Was Jackson really that bad?

What's hopeful with the defense is that we didn't even play Robertson, Champ or Dre.

With Harris, aside from the costly penalties, how was he at pass protection and run blocking? Was he getting beaten too easily? Was it a technique or skill thing, or was he just physically getting dominated?I thought Jackson played pretty well. He doesn't stand out or make you think you're looking at Brandon Marshall...but I thought he looked dependable.

hamrob
08-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Harris did well getting to the second level on run blocking plays. I won't be able to see the NFLN recap, but for those of you who can -- watch the series Hall was on the field with Harris and Company and you'll see the plays I'm talking about. I didn't get to see Harris' bending movement in pass protection, whether he was waist or knee bending -- but I thought he did well outside the blatant push in the back/hold in pass protection.Yeah, I thought Harris held his own. No pun intended. :-)

Seriously though, He didn't get blown off the ball...he was quick to get down field and his blocks looked good. He needs to work on keeping his hands on the inside. IMO...his problems were not of a physical nature...but rather mental errors. He's a smart guy...I'm guessing He'll improve next week.

shank
08-10-2008, 12:55 PM
because of rod smith paige thinks he has the power to create greatness with his articles. clady did well in his rookie debut against a great DE.

noble attempt woody, but you're a false idol.

prater put his KOs inside the 5 with consistency in very heavy texas air... don't panic yet.

slim
08-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Casey Weigmann did not play well.

I see, so we are only going to focus on the negatives...:D

shank
08-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I thought Harris held his own. No pun intended. :-)

Seriously though, He didn't get blown off the ball...he was quick to get down field and his blocks looked good. He needs to work on keeping his hands on the inside. IMO...his problems were not of a physical nature...but rather mental errors. He's a smart guy...I'm guessing He'll improve next week.

i agree. QB used to be the most criticized position here in denver... now that we have jay, no one will be good enough at RT?

Magnificent Seven
08-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Again, everyone is rusty. They didn't let Champ Bailey and D. Robertson play. Plus. Ryan Torain is out for 3 to 8 weeks.

Next week will be different.

omac
08-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Wow, it's good to know that despite the penalties, Harris does show some promise at the RT spot.

Well, next game, we'll get a better understanding of our pass protection. Last season, Dallas went against pre-season etiquette and blitz a ton. If they do the same thing, we'll see if Clady, Harris, and the rest of our OL holds up.

Our defense will also face Barber and Jones, so that should test our run stuffing from the inside and the outside.

If Crowder and Moss don't step up, they'll make a ton of TD passes.

Broncos Mtnman
08-10-2008, 04:14 PM
So after week 1, who is predicted to be the starting RB? Did Hall look THAT much better than Selvin? Granted, I'm sure it was vs second/third string, but 3 yards on 4 carries is not acceptable....preseason or not.

Young's struggles with the run were due to the O-line. For example, he had two pass receptions for 20 yards.

3 of his 4 running plays were left of center, where you had Clady and Casey Wiegmann playing tackle and center. The "rookie-ness" of Clady and the unfamiliarity of Wiegmann were obvious in the running game.

I don't think his performance yesterday is any indicator of status as a starter. I don't think you can make that determination until the O-line jells and Clady gets more comfortable with his run-blocking assignments.

Lonestar
08-10-2008, 06:07 PM
because of rod smith paige thinks he has the power to create greatness with his articles. clady did well in his rookie debut against a great DE.

noble attempt woody, but you're a false idol.

prater put his KOs inside the 5 with consistency in very heavy texas air... don't panic yet.

Air conditioned air.. Hmmmmm.

shank
08-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Air conditioned air.. Hmmmmm.

cooling air off only makes it more dense

Lonestar
08-10-2008, 07:05 PM
cooling air off only makes it more dense

after they take the humidity OUT?