PDA

View Full Version : Surprise! Troy Smith to start for the 49ers!

Ravage!!!
10-27-2010, 01:32 PM
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/10/surprise-troy-s.html

Surprise! Troy Smith to start for the 49ers!

Different country, different quarterback. The 49ers' starter for Sunday's game at Wembley Stadium will be Troy Smith, Mike Singletary announced before the team's Wednesday practice in Hertfordshire, England. Regular starter Alex Smith will miss two to three weeks with a left shoulder sprain, he said.

The move means that Singletary has skipped over David Carr, who was ineffective after filling in for Smith on Sunday, for Troy Smith, who only joined the team on Sept. 6. Singletary cited Smith's leadership, something he displayed while winning the Heisman Trophy at Ohio State and later with the Baltimore Ravens, as a prime reason for the move. He said he thought Smith knew enough of the offense to be effective but conceded that this week's practice - the first time Smith has worked with the first-team offense - will be revealing.

"It's one thing when you are sitting down and you are looking at different plays or whatever," Singletary said. "You say, 'sure I got it,' and then you go out on the field and you have to do it fast, and you have to do it under pressure, and maybe you forget to make a call here or there. As a staff you have to look at that and that's why we practice, to kind of figure that out. We'll go from there, but I do know that however limited it'll be, it will be a situation that we put him in the best situation to win."

Singletary said the team would not elevate practice-squad quarterback Nate Davis at this time and that there would be no No. 3, or emergency, quarterback Sunday against the Broncos.

Singletary said he talked to Carr about the move and "he understands. We had a couple of conversations about it, and that's a personal thing between he and I." Carr was five of 13 in nearly a full half of play Sunday, and he threw a critical late-game interception on a pass to Michael Crabtree. After the game, Carr said that the quality of his play was bound to improve with a full week of practice.

Singletary had only been lukewarm in his assessment of Carr throughout the offseason, and he hinted -- strongly -- at this move when the 49ers signed Troy Smith just before the season began. Though Carr had been the official No. 2 quarterback, he had been sharing scout-team repetitions with Troy Smith all season. "I think for where we are, I think Troy Smith gives us a good opportunity to win games," Singletary said. Smith has appeared in 14 games with the Ravens with two starts. He was 1-1 in those games.

Alex Smith and Eric Heitmann (neck) are the only players who have been ruled out for the game. Three others -- Chilo Rachal, Joe Staley and Taylor Mays - are dealing with shoulder stingers. Cornerback Tarell Brown is doubtful with a back injury. Running back Anthony Dixon has a hamstring strain.

That Alex Smith will miss up to three weeks means that he has a shoulder separation. Singletary, however, said he did not know what degree separation Smith suffered when he was driven into the grass by Panthers defensive end Charles Johnson Sunday.

The 49ers waived safety Chris Maragos, who took part in a community event yesterday for the team, and signed CB Tramaine Brock off the practice squad. That means they have an opening on the practice squad, which likely will go to Maragos if he passes through waivers.

-- Matt Barrows

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/10/surprise-troy-s.html#ixzz13aMP1ul5

Ravage!!!
10-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Seems its always scarier when teams start back-ups against us.

Northman
10-27-2010, 01:33 PM
So now both Smith AND Gore will gouge us. Wonderful. lmao

Mike
10-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Smart waiver wire pick up of the week, FF guys.

slim
10-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Does it matter who plays QB?

I am pretty sure they will just run Gore 50 times.

broncogirl7
10-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Good for SF, but for the Broncos. Damn it, I picked the Broncos to win this game!!!

Lonestar
10-27-2010, 01:37 PM
So now both Smith AND Gore will gouge us. Wonderful. lmao

Just another ray of sunshine.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

slim
10-27-2010, 01:38 PM

Karma is a bitch.

shank
10-27-2010, 01:39 PM
i like troy smith. i hope we kill him.

Northman
10-27-2010, 01:39 PM

When they decide to start giving me something to believe in i will gladly pick up the harp next to you sweet cheeks.

ikillz0mbies
10-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Oh goodie! A QB that can run.

rcsodak
10-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Seems its always scarier when teams start back-ups against us.
As it should, with little to no game tape on him. Whats even scarier is the fact he's a runner. That means wink will have to prolly lose a cover LB just to stay and watch him. Ugh

rcsodak
10-27-2010, 02:55 PM
:lol: I saw more sunshine driving in a blizzard this morning. ; )

I Eat Staples
10-27-2010, 02:55 PM
As it should, with little to no game tape on him. Whats even scarier is the fact he's a runner. That means wink will have to prolly lose a cover LB just to stay and watch him. Ugh

Don't worry, our LBs can't cover anyway. We'll have to settle for watching Troy Smith run past them instead.

NorCalBronco7
10-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Troy Smith gives me no reason to be worried.

Sure hes mobile, but thats it. Hes got a weak arm and isnt accurate.

Im surprised if the Niners wont go with Nate Davis if Carr isnt an option. The kid looked really good in preseason.

broncogirl7
10-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Troy Smith gives me no reason to be worried.

Sure hes mobile, but thats it. Hes got a weak arm and isnt accurate.

Im surprised if the Niners wont go with Nate Davis if Carr isnt an option. The kid looked really good in preseason.

I've some friends from Indiana that followed Nate Davis while he played for Ball State and during SF preseason and they said he looked really good. The kid has potential and it would be great to see him play.

NorCalBronco7
10-27-2010, 03:10 PM
I've some friends from Indiana that followed Nate Davis while he played for Ball State and during SF preseason and they said he looked really good. The kid has potential and it would be great to see him play.

Being from Sacramento I know a lot about the Niners and have seen Nate quit a bit. Im really surprised hes not starting over Smith because Ive seen him play and hes not any good. Sure Nates unproven, but he has to be a better passer than Smith. Maybe they just want Smith so they can design a scheme with lots of roll outs and such...IDK. But I think if the Broncos are up by two TDs or more, watching Smith turn into a passer is going to be ridiculous.

Dzone
10-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Ranks reactions: Troy Smith resurfaces
October, 27, 2010
Oct 27
3:22
PM ET

By Eric Karabell
Remember former Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith? Sure you do! The Heisman Trophy winner was a fifth-round pick by the Baltimore Ravens in 2007, and he made two starts in his three seasons there. Now a member of the San Francisco 49ers, there's really little reason to expect much from Smith. Then again, I ranked him No. 25 at quarterback this week. Let's just say there are times when I complete my weekly rankings and I'm just not comfortable with the final result. This week is one of those times.

In what was a total surprise to me, Troy Smith was announced Wednesday morning as the 49ers' starting quarterback for Week 8 with Alex Smith on the shelf because of a separated shoulder. Troy Smith's insertion speaks volumes about backup David Carr, but hey, if you're a 1-6 team playing a home game in London, England, why not try something different? What was Carr going to do, anyway? Heck, what was a healthy Alex Smith going to do?