PDA

View Full Version : The biggest disappointment from tonights game

ktrain
08-09-2008, 10:07 PM
I could say the o-line, but I think TFTP will replace Harris.

I could say the starting defense getting shreaded, but several starters where intentionally held out, and we played a vanilla shceme (which unlike last year is a n excuse)

No, this biggest disappointment for me, is the fact that Moss and Crowder have bust written all over them. They both looked rather pedestrian against Houston's second and third teamers. I sure hope at least one of them steps up to show the potential that they are supposed to have

Requiem / The Dagda
08-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Why will TFTP replace Harris? Because he had a few penalties? Yep. That sounds about right. Focus on the negatives and not look at the positives that Harris had during tonight's game. Let's forget his good run blocking on the right side and continuously getting to the second level during such plays. How about we ignore his pass protection too? Let's cut him.

ktrain
08-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Why will TFTP replace Harris? Because he had a few penalties? Yep. That sounds about right. Focus on the negatives and not look at the positives that Harris had during tonight's game. Let's forget his good run blocking on the right side and continuously getting to the second level during such plays. How about we ignore his pass protection too? Let's cut him.

Does'nt Kuper get some of the credit for the running on the right side? Also, Who said anything about cutting him?, he is not ready for prime time yet but I am not suggesting they cut him.

BTW, I don't care how well you block on 2 or three running plays, If you commit 4 penalties in one half (I think 3 were holding calls) you are not going to help your team win. He may improve as the season progresses but I think If Harris starts I think we are in big trouble

Requiem / The Dagda
08-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Okay, I gotcha. Let's just focus on negatives instead of positives. :salute:

ApaOps5
08-09-2008, 10:28 PM
So the defense was bad again?

BeefStew25
Guys, the only dudes playing with passion in exhibition games are dudes battling for roster spots.

Human nature. Pre-season is a sham.

Magnificent Seven
RELAX!!!!!! It was their first game and everyone is rusty!

dendave
08-09-2008, 10:31 PM
easy question WE HAVE NO KICKER...If Prater made the freaking 30 yarder at the beginning of the game it changes everything..

ktrain
08-09-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm sorry, but........... I thought we pretty much got owned tonight. Yes, there were some bright spots, and yes you can feel free to focus on them if you wish, but I saw several things that concerned me.

The biggest of all concerns for me was not the o-line, but our defensive line, which still looks very weak to me. The d-line has been the achillis heel of this franchise for 9 years now and tonight did not do anything to change my impression. I have had high hopes for Moss and Crowder, but was very underwhelmed with their play tonight. If this team wants to compete for championships it is going to need to get better play out of crowder and Moss. On the bright side, Thomas looked pretty good and we did not see Robertson yet since he was held out

BeefStew25
08-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Three more games of playing pretend.

topscribe
08-09-2008, 10:36 PM
The injury to Green.

I believe a neck injury is the worst thing that can happen on a football field.

-----

ktrain
08-09-2008, 10:40 PM
RELAX!!!!!! It was their first game and everyone is rusty!

It was also houston's first game, and they looked a lot less rusty to me:eek:

ApaOps5
08-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Maybe playing at 70% isn't the best idea. Third game of the preseason is when its time to worry.

red98
08-09-2008, 10:55 PM

I could say the starting defense getting shreaded, but several starters where intentionally held out, and we played a vanilla shceme (which unlike last year is a n excuse)

No, this biggest disappointment for me, is the fact that Moss and Crowder have bust written all over them. They both looked rather pedestrian against Houston's second and third teamers. I sure hope at least one of them steps up to show the potential that they are supposed to have

I'm gonna say the play of the interior defensive line. I saw line backers swarming in to make a tackle only to see the ball carrier zip by up the middle.

I know all our starters weren't in but still. I have hope as long as no one starts talking about "well we are holding stuff back for the regular season" or
"they haven't gelled yet"

We'll see...

yardog
08-09-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm gonna say the play of the interior defensive line. I saw line backers swarming in to make a tackle only to see the ball carrier zip by up the middle.

I know all our starters weren't in but still. I have hope as long as no one starts talking about "well we are holding stuff back for the regular season" or
"they haven't gelled yet"

We'll see...

:tsk:

Northman
08-09-2008, 10:57 PM
We will know in week one against the Faid where we stand for the season. Preseason means nothing.

frauschieze
08-09-2008, 11:00 PM

Me too Yard. I got my rock ready for anyone who uses that word this year.

yardog
08-09-2008, 11:03 PM
:croc:
Me too Yard. I got my rock ready for anyone who uses that word this year.

underrated29
The biggest problem i had was our inability to do anything in the redzone. We keep calling these stupid screen plays or runs to the outside. It was the same last year. Now i know torain was supposed to fix that, but pittman didnt do to well, hall did ok, and aldrige is not good imo for redzone.

We need to PA, make some quick slant passes, and pound it up the gut for 4 yards a pop.

Other than that i was fine with everything. Of course we still need work, but it wasnt glaring like last year.

slim
I am disappointed that I have to wait until tomorrow to watch the game.

yardog
08-09-2008, 11:08 PM
The biggest problem i had was our inability to do anything in the redzone. We keep calling these stupid screen plays or runs to the outside. It was the same last year. Now i know torain was supposed to fix that, but pittman didnt do to well, hall did ok, and aldrige is not good imo for redzone.

We need to PA, make some quick slant passes, and pound it up the gut for 4 yards a pop.

Other than that i was fine with everything. Of course we still need work, but it wasnt glaring like last year.

I do think vanilla play calling could be caulked up to preseason.

ApaOps5
you really think they are going to open the playbook and show creativity and PA is the preseason. That would be just retarded, don't tip your hand when it doesn't count.

G_Money
I'm also disappointed that Tashard Choice isn't running for us. Watching him run through, over and around through the reserves for the Chargers and lay some hellacious blocks is making me jealous.

I really hope Torain is a) everything Shanny says he is and b) can freakin' get healthy and stay healthy long enough to be that for us for a long time.

My boy Woodyard was dealin' tonight though. :D

~G

Nature Boy
08-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Biggest disappointment of the night? Play from the linebackers which used to be the Broncos strength. Al though Nate Webster only played the early goings, it was as though he didn't pay at all. And he looks like a shrimp out there. Niko looked like he just didn't belong. But just to be fair, the D-line didn't show up neither. It reminded me of last season. Jamie Winborn didn't look to bad playing as a sub though.

Marlon McCree looked good and Dre Bly looked like he was in mid season form.

Nature Boy
08-09-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm also disappointed that Tashard Choice isn't running for us. Watching him run through, over and around through the reserves for the Chargers and lay some hellacious blocks is making me jealous.

I really hope Torain is a) everything Shanny says he is and b) can freakin' get healthy and stay healthy long enough to be that for us for a long time.

My boy Woodyard was dealin' tonight though. :D

~G

Perhaps we should make a move for Teshard Choice. The CowGirls are loaded with RBs, they can stand to lose Choice. Choice looked like a gamer in college, with the prototypical build and running style; too bad the Broncos didn't get him.

shank
08-09-2008, 11:28 PM
yeah niko was a disappointment.

the biggest was easily the injuries to boss and green. that's the very last thing i EVER want to see in a pre season game.

ramsey's play was hugely disappointing to me as well, as i have always been one of his supporters, but he didn't look good at ALL tonight, and the coaches didn't trust him at all.

Magnificent Seven
08-09-2008, 11:30 PM
We will know in week one against the Faid where we stand for the season. Preseason means nothing.

Look back at San Francisco 49ers. They were 0-4 in preseason and they have won super bowl in '94.

shank
08-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Look back at San Francisco 49ers. They were 0-4 in preseason and they have won super bowl in '94.

pretty sure the giants were 0-4 in preseason last year as well.

Sassy
08-09-2008, 11:42 PM
They should have cut Ramsey at the half :D

Magnificent Seven
08-09-2008, 11:43 PM
pretty sure the giants were 0-4 in preseason last year as well.

There you go

G_Money
08-09-2008, 11:59 PM
It's not the record that matters in pre-season, but how you LOOK can definitely matter.

I'm sure we all remember the final couple of preseason games last year and how we kept making excuses for the abject failure of our defense to do anything and stop anybody. "Oh, they're just playing the real system close to the vest. It's just preseason, don't worry about it."

It was something very much worth worrying about.

This is game 1. Not stellar, not horrible, some things to work on...but we have time to work on them. The red-zone crapouts are still frustrating because of all the things I want to see, more success getting touchdowns and in stopping the run (and pressuring the QB) top the list.

I don't need to see it this week. But I'll need to see it sometime this preseason. Failures in Week 3 when the regulars play a lot actually do mean something. Let's not pretend it means absolutely nothing.

It's too early to stress about the little things. For now, I'll just watch the individuals to see where they're at in their learning curves; we have a lot of kids out there.

In a couple of weeks I'll want to see that elusive thing called Team coming together, where everybody knows what they're supposed to be doing and can actually do it.

That never happened with our defense last year, and our injury-decimated OL couldn't pull it together from the 20 to the goal-line.

Those are things I want to see improved on. And I want to see it before we get to the games that count, y'know?

~G

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 12:03 AM
It's not the record that matters in pre-season, but how you LOOK can definitely matter.

I'm sure we all remember the final couple of preseason games last year and how we kept making excuses for the abject failure of our defense to do anything and stop anybody. "Oh, they're just playing the real system close to the vest. It's just preseason, don't worry about it."

This is game 1. Not stellar, not horrible, some things to work on...but we have time to work on them. The red-zone crapouts are still frustrating because of all the things I want to see, more success getting touchdowns and in stopping the run (and pressuring the QB) top the list.

I don't need to see it this week. But I'll need to see it sometime this preseason. Failures in Week 3 when the regulars play a lot actually do mean something. Let's not pretend it means absolutely nothing.

It's too early to stress about the little things. For now, I'll just watch the individuals to see where they're at in their learning curves; we have a lot of kids out there.

In a couple of weeks I'll want to see that elusive thing called Team coming together, where everybody knows what they're supposed to be doing and can actually do it.

That never happened with our defense last year, and our injury-decimated OL couldn't pull it together from the 20 to the goal-line.

Those are things I want to see improved on. And I want to see it before we get to the games that count, y'know?

~G

You write too much. Keep it up though.

Lonestar
08-10-2008, 12:03 AM

~G

Great post again
all of the above equate to YOUTH and lack of talent in certain areas..

Something that due to the lack of drafting prowess between 1999-2005 we are suffering for as we speak.. It may take another couple of years to overcome this and become consistently consistent..

MOtorboat
08-10-2008, 12:04 AM

Nice post.

Well thought out...keep up the good work.

Its a preseason game, doesn't mean much at all...how can you be disappointed with anything, considering there's no real feel to the game?

topscribe
08-10-2008, 12:06 AM

Yes, but there's one big difference:

I enjoy his posts. :coffee:

:focus:

-----

silkamilkamonico
08-10-2008, 12:19 AM
For people questioning Moss/Crowder, consider this.

The problem might not be them.

The problem could very well be, whoever is evaluating talent at that position, or whomever is developing that talent(dline coach), and that's a scary thought.

topscribe
08-10-2008, 12:21 AM
For people questioning Moss/Crowder, consider this.

The problem might not be them.

The problem could very well be, whoever is evaluating talent at that position, or whomever is developing that talent(dline coach), and that's a scary thought.

Or it could have been just the way it was tonight.

Even superstars aren't spectacular every single week.

Good to see you, Silk! :wave:

-----

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Jarvis Moss is or will be a bust. Waste of a 1st rounder. He had 1 good game against OSU in the Championship game and he's a 1st rounder. Who was the genius who told Mike to draft him. Sundquist?

Should have traded up and got Patrick Willis who I heard was #1 on the Broncos draft board in 2007.

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Nice post.

Well thought out...keep up the good work.

Its a preseason game, doesn't mean much at all...how can you be disappointed with anything, considering there's no real feel to the game?

I disagree. Al though the offensive play calls looked more like a RB tryout as all the RBs got a look. The defense was horrendous, most disappointing and that was the feel to the game.

I liked Alridge's speed. I hope there is a roster spot for him.

Magnificent Seven
08-10-2008, 02:32 AM

Remember, Champ Bailey and D. Robertson didnt play. So... you know.

shank
08-10-2008, 02:35 AM
i'm still dumbfounded by the amount of harris-hate in broncos country. what happened to support and optimism? especially when a player is essentially a rookie?

omac
08-10-2008, 02:53 AM

Just wanted to say, great post again! :cheers:

Let's see if the Broncos can use these pre-season games to work themselves into regular season form. There are some concerns, but there's no need to panic ... yet. :D

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 03:48 AM
Just wanted to say, great post again! :cheers:

Let's see if the Broncos can use these pre-season games to work themselves into regular season form. There are some concerns, but there's no need to panic ... yet. :D

Not panicking yet but when even the 1st team defense looked as bad as that. When the Texans can run at will on you, you've got to be a bit concerned.

Don't forget how bad that run defense was. I hope that is not the things to come.

Did I even mention we need a better middle linebacker?

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 03:52 AM
i'm still dumbfounded by the amount of harris-hate in broncos country. what happened to support and optimism? especially when a player is essentially a rookie?

A pair of rookies playing on both ends of the offensive line. Not exactly heartwarming huh?

How many holding penalties did the Broncos commit today? There's work to be done on that team. I'm glad it's only the 1st pre-season game.

topscribe
08-10-2008, 03:59 AM
Not panicking yet but when even the 1st team defense looked as bad as that. When the Texans can run at will on you, you've got to be a bit concerned.

Don't forget how bad that run defense was. I hope that is not the things to come.

Take away the fake punt and the reverse, and the Texans averaged 1.9 YPC.
That is not what I would call running at will.

You said it yourself in another post: There are several preseason games to
go. Let's not be throwing people under the bus yet . . .

-----

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 04:03 AM

-----

OK, I was mainly referring to the 1st team defense versus their 1st team offense and they moved the ball on us at will.

Superchop 7
08-10-2008, 04:10 AM
I am angry,

I am so ticked at poor tackling it actually got me a "permanent" ban on the Bronco's boards. (after 4000 posts)

Here's the deal,

They make gloves which have a heavy pad on your palm so it forces you to wrap up.

The Bronco's "should" use it in training.....but don't. (not a fan of Tuten btw)

So, I slammed them, IMO, rightfully so. (after the 30th missed tackle)

Truth = Permanent Ban

At the end of the day, I stand by everything I said, this team was poorly prepared, to me, it was a joke.

The swan song ?

The people behind Anthony Alridge were me and Mason. (before you ever heard of him)

Oh, the Irony.

Life goes on, but yeah, I'm pissed, I have always told the truth as I see it, life isn't always sunshine and rainbows, I did not break a COC rule.

Lynch is gone, (expected), Phillips was falling, ........guess who is tearing it up ?.

Sorry, needed to throw that one in. (Loved the Royal pickup, just thought we should have made a play for Phillips when he fell, in the end.......truth.....SC7 isn't dumb)

Kapaibro
08-10-2008, 04:12 AM
pre-season football = listening to NASCAR on the radio

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 04:14 AM
I am angry,

I am so ticked at poor tackling it actually got me a "permanent" ban on the Bronco's boards. (after 4000 posts)

Here's the deal,

They make gloves which have a heavy pad on your palm so it forces you to wrap up.

The Bronco's "should" use it in training.....but don't. (not a fan of Tuten btw)

So, I slammed them, IMO, rightfully so. (after the 30th missed tackle)

Truth = Permanent Ban

At the end of the day, I stand by everything I said, this team was poorly prepared.

Totally agree. The defense stunk. Specifically the Linebackers sucked. It started with Boss going out then Green. Nate and DJ barely made a play if any before they were taken out. I thought Jamie Winborn had a great outing. Marlon McCree looked great, always around the ball and play. I guess we know why John Lynch chose to move on.

Superchop 7
08-10-2008, 04:52 AM
I never thought I would say this.

The best MLB on the Bronco's is DJ.

(Yikes)

Please don't ban me.

And yeah, Al could step in (right now) and teach these guys how to play.

LordTrychon
08-10-2008, 04:52 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm not sayin' at what...

Just...

:laugh:

Superchop 7
08-10-2008, 04:58 AM
pre-season football = listening to NASCAR on the radio

+_________________________________________________ ___________________________________

No, it isn't......

Superchop 7
08-10-2008, 05:02 AM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm not sayin' at what...

Just...

:laugh:

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Thank God we have heard from the Wyoming crowd.

Where sheep are sheep......

Superchop 7
08-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Totally agree. The defense stunk. Specifically the Linebackers sucked. It started with Boss going out then Green. Nate and DJ barely made a play if any before they were taken out. I thought Jamie Winborn had a great outing. Marlon McCree looked great, always around the ball and play. I guess we know why John Lynch chose to move on.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Whoa.....this guy knows ball (Chop tips cap)

Timmy!
08-10-2008, 06:28 AM
:spit:

SR
08-10-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm sorry, but........... I thought we pretty much got owned tonight. Yes, there were some bright spots, and yes you can feel free to focus on them if you wish, but I saw several things that concerned me.

The biggest of all concerns for me was not the o-line, but our defensive line, which still looks very weak to me. The d-line has been the achillis heel of this franchise for 9 years now and tonight did not do anything to change my impression. I have had high hopes for Moss and Crowder, but was very underwhelmed with their play tonight. If this team wants to compete for championships it is going to need to get better play out of crowder and Moss. On the bright side, Thomas looked pretty good and we did not see Robertson yet since he was held out

It's Achilles. And, it has not been. For several years our run defense was in the top 10 in this league. That is not an Achilles heel. Our "Achilles Heel", if you even want to call it that, is our team is really young and doesn't have a lot of experience where experience is needed. If you want to call out our defense, who had two of its best players in Bailey and Robertson sit out, then make sure an attribute rust to one of the causes. Lastly, IT WAS A PRESEASON GAME.

Kapaibro
08-10-2008, 07:58 AM
It's Achilles. And, it has not been. For several years our run defense was in the top 10 in this league. That is not an Achilles heel. Our "Achilles Heel", if you even want to call it that, is our team is really young and doesn't have a lot of experience where experience is needed. If you want to call out our defense, who had two of its best players in Bailey and Robertson sit out, then make sure an attribute rust to one of the causes. Lastly, IT WAS A PRESEASON GAME.

Wait a minute, you mean it doesn't actually count towards anything? :shocked:

But why do folks get so wound up? :confused: :rolleyes:

SR
08-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Wait a minute, you mean it doesn't actually count towards anything? :shocked:

But why do folks get so wound up? :confused: :rolleyes:

I dunno Kap. These people haven't played football against anyone but themselves in 8 months. Give them a friggin break. Give them time to shake off the cobwebs. Things will come together. I'm tired of all of the pissing and moaning. Blind optimism isn't needed, but blind pessimism makes baby Jesus cry.

BroncoTech
08-10-2008, 08:06 AM
I don't know what game you were watching but I saw a defense that was much improved against the run this year than last year. In fact I don't see any of the glaring deficiencies that plagued us last year. I saw the broncos get beat on the naked bootleg earlier in the game and then shut it down on 3rd and goal late in the game. They never made the changes to stop what was hurting them last year on defense and it's much improved this year.

Our 3rd string quarterback should be in the 2nd spot. The O line's timing was off on running plays but they protected well and allowed huge gaps for the quarterback to escape when things were covered down field.

So we're in much better shape than we were at this point last year with a major concern at Mike. In the mean time Woody was flying around pretty good last night so maybe we can do something with that.

Davii
08-10-2008, 08:09 AM
I didn't get to see the game, but just looking at numbers it looks as though the run defense was worlds ahead of this time last year.

The most dissapointing thing to me is seeing injuries.

SR
08-10-2008, 08:11 AM
I don't know what game you were watching but I saw a defense that was much improved against the run this year than last year. In fact I don't see any of the glaring deficiencies that plagued us last year. I saw the broncos get beat on the naked bootleg earlier in the game and then shut it down on 3rd and goal late in the game. They never made the changes to stop what was hurting them last year on defense and it's much improved this year.

Our 3rd string quarterback should be in the 2nd spot. The O line's timing was off on running plays but they protected well and allowed huge gaps for the quarterback to escape when things were covered down field.

So we're in much better shape than we were at this point last year with a major concern at Mike. In the mean time Woody was flying around pretty good last night so maybe we can do something with that.

People will see what they want to see BT. Me, I saw an improved team that just looked a little shaky and a little broken up over losing two players in seven plays to start the game.

And one other note...SHUT UP about Matt Prater. He was 3/4 for the game on FGs. He missed ONE. Get over it. He'll be fine and he's got a HUGE leg.

drewloc
08-10-2008, 08:23 AM
Mind you, I didn't get to see the game, but I listened to it on 850. The thing that stuck out to me, was that Cutler seemed sharp, and the pass protection seemed decent. There were positives and negatives to be taken from the game. All in all, as long as they improve week to week in preseason, I will be content with where we stand. I will be anxious to see how much of a difference it will be once Champ and Robertson get on the field.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-10-2008, 08:34 AM
People will see what they want to see BT. Me, I saw an improved team that just looked a little shaky and a little broken up over losing two players in seven plays to start the game.

And one other note...SHUT UP about Matt Prater. He was 3/4 for the game on FGs. He missed ONE. Get over it. He'll be fine and he's got a HUGE leg.

I agree SR in regards to Prater - Elam was 1 for 3 in Atlanta's game - doubt if any or many in Atlanta want to run him out of town already.

Davii
08-10-2008, 08:45 AM
With the injuries at LB anyone think that Spencer Larsen moves back to LB?

Den21vsBal19
08-10-2008, 09:10 AM
With the injuries at LB anyone think that Spencer Larsen moves back to LB?
I thought he was going to split time between the MLB & FB anyway?

(Since Torrain went down)

Mike
08-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Wait...wait...wait.

Rookies played like rookies? First time starters played like first time starters? Young kids played like they were still learning? In the first preseason game? Woah. :rolleyes:

:coffee:

Nomad
08-10-2008, 09:46 AM
I didn't get to see the game, but just looking at numbers it looks as though the run defense was worlds ahead of this time last year.

I finally received the game about 5 min to go in the 4th (justin.tv is a great thing). It sucks to hear about the injuries.

Dallas should be a good test for our run defense because Felix Jones looked solid against the Chargers and the Chargers looked great for a preseason game. Whether preseason or not, BRONCOS need to take it serious because 3 out of the first 4 games are division plus key players will be missing for some of those games. BRONCOS aren't known just to turn the switch on and play with authority. Oh well, 1st game jitters out the way and hopefully against Dallas it's a different story. BTW, isn't the game going to be live on ESPN or NFLN.:beer:

SmilinAssasSin27
08-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Jarvis Moss is or will be a bust. Waste of a 1st rounder. He had 1 good game against OSU in the Championship game and he's a 1st rounder. Who was the genius who told Mike to draft him. Sundquist?

Should have traded up and got Patrick Willis who I heard was #1 on the Broncos draft board in 2007.

I didn't have a major issue w/ getting Moss at the time, but I did prefer Posluszny or 1 of the Safeties. I think he can still be OK. Dude hasn't played much football in the past year and a half. Give him a chance to warm up.

pnbronco
08-10-2008, 10:19 AM
The injuries was the biggest disappointment. I'm glad Boss did not injure his knee but his ankle will keep out of at least 2 weeks and that keeps from from working with the other players on timing and rhythm . As far as Green goes, who knows, the fact that he could travel home was really good, but necks are so tricky. He could be fine as far as living but that doesn't mean he can still play football.

The red zone is still kind of a concern. The only touchdown came from Cutler running in and I really didn't like seeing him do that since Boss had just been carted off and Louie on a stretcher. I am keeping in mind that this was the 1st pre-season game and so I look forward to next week against Dallas.

Tned
08-10-2008, 11:47 AM

According to our very own coach Shanahan, he said those numbers were even deceptive (meaning he though the first half rush defense was good, but better than the stats), because they included a fake/blow punt rush and a reverse that went for a decent game. Outside of that, the rush D help up very well in the first half.

It should be pointed out that Alex gibbs and Kubiak Denver'd us to death. They did to our defense what we did to others for year. Misdirection. Got our defense flowing one way to stop the run, then bootlegged in the other direction.

If they can get any kind of consistant QB play and Andre Johson is healthy, Houston is going to start being an offense to be reckoned with.

slim
08-10-2008, 11:59 AM
According to our very own coach Shanahan, he said those numbers were even deceptive (meaning he though the first half rush defense was good, but better than the stats), because they included a fake/blow punt rush and a reverse that went for a decent game. Outside of that, the rush D help up very well in the first half.

It should be pointed out that Alex gibbs and Kubiak Denver'd us to death. They did to our defense what we did to others for year. Misdirection. Got our defense flowing one way to stop the run, then bootlegged in the other direction.

If they can get any kind of consistant QB play and Andre Johson is healthy, Houston is going to start being an offense to be reckoned with.

Absolutely, I think the first team D gave up less than 3 yards per carry (less than 2 if you take out the punter that ran for 15).

Davii
08-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Absolutely, I think the first team D gave up less than 3 yards per carry (less than 2 if you take out the punter that ran for 15).

1.9 ypc if you remove the fake punt and reverse. I'd say that's pretty damn good, we know the type of game that Gibbs will have that line running, and it's extremely effective.

WARHORSE
08-10-2008, 12:22 PM

---------------------------------------------------------------------
COUPLE OF POSTS LATER
---------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I was mainly referring to the 1st team defense versus their 1st team offense and they moved the ball on us at will.

Vintage Nature Boy.

WARHORSE
08-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Fact is, Houston has spent all of its recently past top draft picks on the front seven of the defense.

They are a formidable bunch to deal with, and Mario is quickly becoming 'Super Mario'.

Once again........vanilla offenses against vanilla defenses.

This was nothing more than a foot wetting test for the rookies, to see how they hold up to live fire.

You go back, look at the film, and see what kind of learning they can do off their mistakes from one game to the next.

Cutler is going to do some carving this year, and his presence in the huddle is going to win us some games this year.

There was alot to like in the first outing, and alot to look at as well.

Just get some coffee and watch the games. Preseason is for coaches......not fans.

shank
08-10-2008, 12:36 PM
i'm going to watch the game again today. anyone have anything specific they want me to watch for?

hamrob
08-10-2008, 12:43 PM
It was also houston's first game, and they looked a lot less rusty to me:eek:
Come on man...the score was 19-16 with a last second field goal to win it. The starters were...what...7-3 in favor of us? I think both teams were pretty even for the first preseason game.

My biggest concerns:

- Dline (primarily Moss, Crowder and more push from our DT's).
- LB's (MLB is questionable at best & who plays the strong side now?). IMO, Green is not a strong side backer and Boss Bailey is somewhat of a risk to begin with. My wish? Trade for Carpenter with the Boys. He's playing 2nd fiddle on that team and should be starting. He'd be huge for us...IMO!
- Prater...can he be depended on during the season?
- Selvin Young/Andre Hall...are they good enough? (LT, LJ, McFadden)

So, to summarize...our front 7 is my main worry. They either step up and put pressure on the QB and stop the run...or we're an average football team. Prater and the RB's are a secondary concern to me.

Lonestar
08-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Come on man...the score was 19-16 with a last second field goal to win it. The starters were...what...7-3 in favor of us? I think both teams were pretty even for the first preseason game.

My biggest concerns:

- LB's (MLB is questionable at best & who plays the strong side now?). IMO, Green is not a strong side backer and Boss Bailey is somewhat of a risk to begin with. My wish? Trade for Carpenter with the Boys. He's playing 2nd fiddle on that team and should be starting. He'd be huge for us...IMO!
So, to summarize...our front 7 is my main worry. They either step up and put pressure on the QB and stop the run...or we're an average football team. Prater and the RB's are a secondary concern to me.

I know you joking with that line Right?

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 01:37 PM
I never thought I would say this.

The best MLB on the Bronco's is DJ.

(Yikes)

Please don't ban me.

And yeah, Al could step in (right now) and teach these guys how to play.

**************EDIT***************** I've criticized the MLBs we have, Nate and Niko****************EDIT*****************

hamrob
08-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I know you joking with that line Right?No joke here. These guys played last year and looked pretty average. Let's face it...they're both undrafted. We need to see some positives in the preseason to feel comfortable with them. They played o.k. yesterday...nothing to write home about.

I Think LT and LJ are proven and McFadden...well...not many have more talent then he does. I watched the Raiders/49er's game and he looked pretty good. He flashed alot of his talent in that game and ran hard through the middle which was a question mark. He's a rook...but he's going to be pretty good...I'd say...very Marcus Allen esque'.

We know our passing game will be there...but we have to be able to both stop the run and run the ball. To me...Hall seems to have the best vision in our stable. They need to be able to make the first guy miss and hit the hole hard...not go down with arm tackles. We'll see...but you have to agree it's a concern.

SR
08-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Nate and Niko aren't proven yet. There is reason why some are skeptical, and rightfully so. But, there is also reason to be optimistic.

hamrob
08-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Yep, you gotta be very careful with this crowed. I've criticized the MLBs we have, Nate and Niko and I'm feeling the heat of banishment...MLB is a concern...but strong side is even more of a concern. Does anyone really think Green is a Strong side backer? Bailey getting hurt after only a few plays really sucks....because he too is an unknown...now we dont' get to see him play prior to the real games starting.

Unless Niko steps up soon...you have to believe we draft a MLB in the 1st round next year...Laurenitus or the kid from USC.

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Dallas should be a good test for our run defense because Felix Jones looked solid against the Chargers and the Chargers looked great for a preseason game. Whether preseason or not, BRONCOS need to take it serious because 3 out of the first 4 games are division plus key players will be missing for some of those games. BRONCOS aren't known just to turn the switch on and play with authority. Oh well, 1st game jitters out the way and hopefully against Dallas it's a different story. BTW, isn't the game going to be live on ESPN or NFLN.:beer:

Woah! We have Dallas next? Marion Barber, Felix Jones and Teshard Choice is gonna run rough shot on us. Hurry up, what's the Vegas line on that game? Bank it fellas, Cowboys will roll over the Broncos defense by a landslide and Patrick Ramsy doesn't have a chance.

oubronco
08-10-2008, 01:47 PM
what was apparent and disappointing to me was how they are not very physical or strong the texans d-line was pushing the pocket back to the qb regularly and the broncos couldn't put pressure without blitzing is the strength coach not getting it done

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 01:52 PM
I didn't have a major issue w/ getting Moss at the time, but I did prefer Posluszny or 1 of the Safeties. I think he can still be OK. Dude hasn't played much football in the past year and a half. Give him a chance to warm up.

It just sucks when you waste a 1st rounder, a 17th overall pick, one that we had to trade up mind you for a developmental player. The kid is a DE and he can barely keep 250lbs on him. Not only is he skinny, he is not even that fast out there.

I don't know about you guys but I expect 1st round selections to be instant starter/impact players. As for Jarvis, he's not even showing potential right now. I heard Ryan Clady treats him like a bitch in camp.

shank
08-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Woah! We have Dallas next? Marion Barber, Felix Jones and Teshard Choice is gonna run rough shot on is. Hurry up, what's the Vegas line on that game? Bank it fellas, Cowboys will roll over the Broncos defense by a landslide and Patrick Ramsy doesn't have a chance.

i don't understand you.

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 02:00 PM
My biggest concerns:

You hit it bro... Bad D-line, bad linebackers, specifically from the middle and now the strong side. and yes, our RBs suck. I'm not too worried about Prater yet. 1st kick gidders.

What else do I have to grip about?

O yea, we have essentailly 2 rookies playing on both end of the O-Line.

Can I talk about Patrick Willis now? :listen: :laugh: :lol:

:D

Lonestar
08-10-2008, 02:00 PM
No joke here. These guys played last year and looked pretty average. Let's face it...they're both undrafted. We need to see some positives in the preseason to feel comfortable with them. They played o.k. yesterday...nothing to write home about.

I Think LT and LJ are proven and McFadden...well...not many have more talent then he does. I watched the Raiders/49er's game and he looked pretty good. He flashed alot of his talent in that game and ran hard through the middle which was a question mark. He's a rook...but he's going to be pretty good...I'd say...very Marcus Allen esque'.

We know our passing game will be there...but we have to be able to both stop the run and run the ball. To me...Hall seems to have the best vision in our stable. They need to be able to make the first guy miss and hit the hole hard...not go down with arm tackles. We'll see...but you have to agree it's a concern.

it was a sarcastic thought.. Trying to compare young and Hall with LT and LJ and maybe even mcfadden IMO they should not be in the same paragraph let alone int eh same sentence..

shank
08-10-2008, 02:03 PM
i changed my mind. my biggest disappointment was jay cutler's suit. lol.

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 02:06 PM
i don't understand you.

What is so hard to understand? I'm a Broncos fan but not a stupid homer like most.

shank
08-10-2008, 02:11 PM
What is so hard to understand? I'm a Broncos fan but not a stupid homer like most.

the inability to understand the difference between realism and pessimism is a great shortcoming of the human race.

that and it's inability to understand the exponential function. (buff better get that one)

nate jackson's post game attire almost makes up for jay's suit. (watch the postgame vids on denverbroncos.com)

Nature Boy
08-10-2008, 02:13 PM
the inability to understand the difference between realism and pessimism is a great shortcoming of the human race.

that and it's inability to understand the exponential function.

OK, Confucius...

Tned
08-10-2008, 02:15 PM

Enough, read your PM. Don't post again until you do.

hamrob
08-10-2008, 05:23 PM
it was a sarcastic thought.. Trying to compare young and Hall with LT and LJ and maybe even mcfadden IMO they should not be in the same paragraph let alone int eh same sentence..Ah...got it! :lol:

ktrain
08-10-2008, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the spelling lesson dickweed. :lol: You may want to spend more time watching football and less time learning how to spell achilles.:D Anyone who knows anything about football knows without a doubt that Denver's defensive line has been mostly abysmal since 99 (although the browncos were actually ok when not injured).

For ten years we have struggled mightily to get a decent pass rush without blitzing on every down. We consistently get no pressure from our defensive line, which means that QB's have all day to throw against our secondary. While I agree we were pretty good against the run under coyer, it had more to do with fast extremely athletic linebackers (the old Ian Gold, DJ and Al Wilson) and a safety, John Lynch, who was excellent against the run.

If you really want to know what an overpowering DL can do, just go back and watch the NYG superbowl victory last year. The Giants had no business winning the game, the pats were clearly a more talented team at almost every skilled position both on offense and defense, but the NYG defensive front four took the game over. When I think of Denver's DL the past ten years, I see the opposite of the NYG, a unit that routinely gets dominated and makes more skilled players (e.g champ bailey) look rather ordinary.

Also, hoW can you attribute "rust" to the broncos but not to the Texans, last I checked it was the first pre-season game for both teams, I would expect rust on both sides

I hope you are right about them being just young and inexperienced, but my experience watching the broncos and football for over 30 years tells me otherwise.

tripleoption
08-10-2008, 07:51 PM
I look at last nights game from a coaches standpoint. While I was concerned by the lack of a pass rush and felt some things could've been better, I have the feeling the defensive coaches are looking for basic things at this point. I know when we have our scrimmage in a couple of weeks I'm running maybe 2 fronts with cover 3 behind it. No blitzes, no man coverage, no multiple looks, etc. I look for only a few things: are we tackling well? are we adjusting to formations and motions? are we executing our basic responsibilities? are we showing good fundamentals at each position? how are our angles to the ballcarrier? I tell my kids I don't care if the other team scores 10 times, as long as they play hard, hustle, and do what they're supposed to. Granted, I'm not in the NFL, but I'm guessing you can extrapolate and figure the Broncos coaches are generally looking for the same stuff. They've already looked at the film, listed what went right and wrong, made lists of what needs to be worked on during practice on Monday and how to fix the problems, and planned everything out by now. That's what preseason games are for.

56crash
08-10-2008, 09:18 PM

My biggest concerns:

- Prater...can he be depended on during the season?- Selvin Young/Andre Hall...are they good enough? (LT, LJ, McFadden)

guess what people Elam missed a field goal himself................:rolleyes:

56crash
08-10-2008, 09:25 PM
J. Elam 1/3 fieldgoals 36 2/2 5 ....LOL he flat out sucked !!!!

Lonestar
08-10-2008, 10:44 PM
J. Elam 1/3 fieldgoals 36 2/2 5 ....LOL he flat out sucked !!!!

did not have Jake holding for him..

Thnikkaman
08-11-2008, 12:31 AM
The only negatives I saw (or am seeing in this game as NFL Network replays it), is the injury. Some of you people in here sound like you are all set for an 0-16 season, if we survive the armageddon that you think is goin g to happen tomorrow.

Its pre-season. Get over it.

Timmy!
08-11-2008, 01:05 AM
The only negatives I saw (or am seeing in this game as NFL Network replays it), is the injury. Some of you people in here sound like you are all set for an 0-16 season, if we survive the armageddon that you think is goin g to happen tomorrow.

Its pre-season. Get over it.

How about the defense Thinka? Isn't it just terrible? They couldn't stop a pee wee team! Giving up 3 points and all to the Texans starters. We are so screwed :tsk:

:duckflag:

shank
08-11-2008, 01:13 AM
How about the defense Thinka? Isn't it just terrible? They couldn't stop a pee wee team! Giving up 3 points and all to the Texans starters. We are so screwed :tsk:

i looked at the stat page. selvin had 3 yards on 4 carries, we need to bring back travis or we're going to not score any points, and everyone at the stadium will get cavities.

gobroncsnv
08-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Lots of folks are hitting this on the head, vis-a-vis players needing to use this game as more of a reaction to what the other team does... Vanilla offense, vanilla defense. We're not running out our whole playbook on a pre-season game, (and wouldn't we be whining about Shanny if he did that?)... this is about reading and reacting, especially on the part of the D. Others have brought up that Robertson and Champ were both sitting this one out, and my recollection is that Foxworth and Paymah were the starting CB's, so Bly was out as well? Since, to me anyway, Robertson was our biggest acquisition on defense this year (some have said Boss), we missed a LARGE chunk of our run D, and it held up pretty well in spite of it.

No panic from my corner.

Thnikkaman
08-11-2008, 08:08 AM

<sarcasm>Yeah, and we are in so much trouble if Jay is going to have to run a touchdown in 15 yards every time we get in the red zone. </sarcasm>

lex
08-11-2008, 08:44 AM
I thought we looked better against the run than last year. If we can at least improve in that area, then theres something to work from. Hopefully, it actually is improved. I just thought they did a better job bottling up the run and creating clutter along the LOS.

Krugan
08-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Ive watched most of the game 3 times now, and im not quite sure what was to be expected from preseason game 1, as far as the board community is concerned.

Im going to go ahead and Give Harris a pass on his initial game mistakes. A couple holding calls and a formation penatly. The whole team looked out of step though, way to many stupid penalties.

As far as J Moss is concerned, he was all over the place. He made a couple nice tackles coming up the line, and was near the ball the majority of the time. Not bad for a guy who has been injured and out for the better part of 2 years.

Our 2nd string QB issue worries me though. It was ugly, very ugly to watch the 2nd quarter. And from everyones reports, it seems to be more of a trend then a poor game.

Clady looked very good for his first action. Moves well and seemed to adjust to what was coming at him. Yes he got abused a few times, but well most of those came at the hands of one of the best DE in teh NFL right now. I can deal with that.

The LB situation leaves alot to be desired, and one of my biggest concerns was Boss being able to stay healthy. I wont knock him to much, that was just an unfortunate injury. Koooties looked mostly lost, but hustled, Webster needs a new helmet, and DJ seemed to still be adjusting to yet another new spot.

All in all, and the majority of this was rambling(coffee still trying to kick in) this was what I expected from game 1. A team getting used to another new D coach, another new offense with alot of new players, and young players trying to find their place.

No panic here.

GEM
08-11-2008, 09:30 AM
yeah niko was a disappointment.

the biggest was easily the injuries to boss and green. that's the very last thing i EVER want to see in a pre season game.

ramsey's play was hugely disappointing to me as well, as i have always been one of his supporters, but he didn't look good at ALL tonight, and the coaches didn't trust him at all.

Niko was a huge disappointment. He is standing right there with the play coming at him and he didn't even make a move towards the guy. Now I understand why Webster is running with the 1st team. :tsk:

Special teams looked horrible as well. On the play where the returner fumbled the ball.....thank goodness he did because we couldn't tackle the guy to save our own lives. TACKLE Football boys....learn to wrap em up.

Woodyard was fun to watch. I hope they save a place on the team for him. Guy has some heart and some skills.

GEM
08-11-2008, 09:33 AM
They should have cut Ramsey at the half :D

I knew the minute they put him in....the enjoyment level of the game was going down. The guy is terrible. Hackney should be kept and get rid of Ramsey. That guy just pisses me off...how he was ever 1st round material, I have no clue.

GEM
08-11-2008, 09:38 AM

-----

That's what I was thinking as well.....the Run Defense wasn't the problem, they actually looked decent in comparison to last year.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-11-2008, 09:40 AM
It's getting replayed on NFLN Wednesday night. I may finally get to see what you all are talking about.

lex
08-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Ive watched most of the game 3 times now, and im not quite sure what was to be expected from preseason game 1, as far as the board community is concerned.

Im going to go ahead and Give Harris a pass on his initial game mistakes. A couple holding calls and a formation penatly. The whole team looked out of step though, way to many stupid penalties.

As far as J Moss is concerned, he was all over the place. He made a couple nice tackles coming up the line, and was near the ball the majority of the time. Not bad for a guy who has been injured and out for the better part of 2 years.

Our 2nd string QB issue worries me though. It was ugly, very ugly to watch the 2nd quarter. And from everyones reports, it seems to be more of a trend then a poor game.

Clady looked very good for his first action. Moves well and seemed to adjust to what was coming at him. Yes he got abused a few times, but well most of those came at the hands of one of the best DE in teh NFL right now. I can deal with that.

The LB situation leaves alot to be desired, and one of my biggest concerns was Boss being able to stay healthy. I wont knock him to much, that was just an unfortunate injury. Koooties looked mostly lost, but hustled, Webster needs a new helmet, and DJ seemed to still be adjusting to yet another new spot.

All in all, and the majority of this was rambling(coffee still trying to kick in) this was what I expected from game 1. A team getting used to another new D coach, another new offense with alot of new players, and young players trying to find their place.

No panic here.

On one of the plays Williams blew up, he lined up way outside of Clady and the play was designed to go outside. It would have been tremendous for Clady to put a hat on Williams in those circumstances and, actually, he almost did but Williams diagnosed the play too quickly and was upfield too quickly for Clady to get over there. When you look at the ball carrier and listen to the announcers, it sounds like Clady got used but if you watched Clady before and during the play, he didnt do bad at all, especially for a 320 lb rookie.

GEM
08-11-2008, 09:55 AM

I guess nobody paid attention to the fact that on 3 different occasions that crappy defense held them to Field Goals....that alone is a HUGE difference from last year.

There was good, there was bad and there was ugly. Cutler being the good, tackling being the bad, and Ramsey being the ugly. :D

Ah, it's preseason, if we don't see improvement to the things that are bothering us by PS game 4, then we have a ton of reason to worry.

Hell, Clady got pretty good throw into the flames going against Williams, he got beat a lot and made some rookie mistakes, but he also showed a lot of promise.

I'm just happy to be back to some football. :rockon:

Dreadnought
08-11-2008, 10:12 AM
That's what I was thinking as well.....the Run Defense wasn't the problem, they actually looked decent in comparison to last year.

The run D was actually respectable. The front seven didn't generate a lot of pass rush, but this was a far cry from that mess we watched last season, particularly for the first 8 games.

They don't have to be the seconf coming of the Orange Crush for the Broncs to be competitive this season; merely competant will do nicely for now, and win us a bunch of ball games.

Davii
08-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Just wanted to point out the proper use of the Official Sarcasm Smilie

Good work Timmy!!

:duckflag: FTW!

topscribe
08-11-2008, 02:24 PM

. . . and Robertson didn't even play . . .

-----

56crash
08-11-2008, 10:56 PM
easy question WE HAVE NO KICKER...If Prater made the freaking 30 yarder at the beginning of the game it changes everything..

if only we had Elam....:D 1-3 on field goal the other night we would be good.....Dooooooooooooooo.....get a grip people fild goal kickers all suck

topscribe
08-11-2008, 11:01 PM

Yeah, I get where you're coming from.

Just like Michael Jordan. I watched him once miss a four-foot jump shot.

Damned bum. :tsk:

-----

G_Money
08-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I get where you're coming from.

Just like Michael Jordan. I watched him once miss a four-foot jump shot.

Damned bum. :tsk:

-----

Don't forget the other 9000+ shots he missed, including 26 game-winning shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mMioJ5szc

Only loserz miss. http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/images/smilies/SRsmilies/duckflag.gif

~G