PDA

View Full Version : Draft History

cuzz4169
10-25-2010, 07:29 PM
To stay atop you cant keep missing in the draft as the broncos have done over the past 10 years...yes we have found a couple good players but how many 1st round picks have we blown. I will start in 2003.

Rnd Name College Note
1 George Foster Georgia
2 Terry Pierce Kansas State
4 Quentin Griffin Oklahoma
4 Nicholas Eason Clemson
4 Bryant McNeal Clemson
5 Ben Claxton Mississippi
5 Adrian Madise Texas Christian
6 Aaron Hunt Texas Tech
7 Clint Mitchell Florida
7 Ahmaad Galloway Alabama

only one of these 10 players really did anything and he wasnt nothing special Q. Griffin. This whole draft was a waste. Notable players we missed picked after us in each round..Dallas Clark(1st), Nick Barnett(1st), Nnamdi Asomugha (1st), Anquan Boldin(2nd), Osi Umenyiora(2nd), Lance Briggs(3rd), Jason Witten 3rd, Asante Samuel(4th)

Rnd Name College Note
1 D.J. Williams Miami (FL)
2 Tatum Bell Oklahoma State
2 Darius Watts Marshall
3 Jeremy LeSueur Michigan
5 Jeff Shoate San Diego State
6 Triandos Luke Alabama
6 Josh Sewell Nebraska
7 Matt Mauck Louisiana State
7 Brandon Miree Pittsburgh
7 Bradlee Van Pelt Colorado State

DJ was a nice pick...tatum bell helped but could we have done better? the rest of these guys did nothing. players we missed. Matt Schaub(3rd) Jared Allen(4th) Michael Turner(5th 2 picks after us)

Rnd Name College Note
2 Darrent Williams Oklahoma State
3 Karl Paymah Washington State
3 Domonique Foxworth Maryland
3 Maurice Clarett Ohio State
6 Chris Myers Miami (FL)
7 Paul Ernster Northern Arizona

Darrent williams was a great pick the kid was gonna be a star. paymah and foxworth played a little but if you redid draft they arent second and third round pics. Marion Barber III(4th) Trent Cole (5th) Jay Ratliff(7th)

Rnd Name College Note
1 Jay Cutler Vanderbilt
2 Tony Scheffler Western Michigan
4 Brandon Marshall Central Florida
4 Elvis Dumervil Louisville
4 Domenik Hixon Akron
5 Chris Kuper North Dakota
6 Greg Eslinger Minnesota

This was probably are best draft and three of the best players from this draft are no longer with Denver...Thanks Mcdouch. Scheffler in the 2nd was a reach yes i liked him but not as a 2nd round pick. Antoine Bethea (6th) Cortland Finnegan(7th) Marques Colston (7th)

Rnd Name College Note
1 Jarvis Moss Florida
2 Tim Crowder Texas
3 Ryan Harris Notre Dame
4 Marcus Thomas Florida

Horrible first 2 picks you can not keep setting your franchise back by continuously missing in the first 2 rounds. Marcus Thomas is more like a 6-7th rounder I think we traded up to get him too. Leon Hall(1st) Michael Griffin 1st, Jon Beason 1st, Sidney Rice 2nd, LaMarr Woodley 2nd,

Rnd Name College Note
1 Ryan Clady Boise State
2 Eddie Royal Virginia Tech
4 Kory Lichtensteiger Bowling Green
4 Jack Williams Kent State
5 Ryan Torain Arizona State
5 Carlton Powell Virginia Tech
6 Spencer Larsen Arizona
7 Josh Barrett Arizona State
7 Peyton Hillis Arkansas

Clady is a stud see what a cant miss does for your team. Eddie Royal nice pick but he was taken before DeSean Jackson & Ray Rice...would you make the same pick? S. Larsen is the only other player with us..we all know about hillis...thanks again Mcdouch...

Rnd Name College Note
1 Knowshon Moreno Georgia
1 Robert Ayers Tennessee
2 Alphonso Smith Wake Forest
2 Darcel McBath Texas Tech
2 Richard Quinn North Carolina
4 David Bruton Notre Dame
4 Seth Olsen Iowa
5 Kenny McKinley South Carolina
6 Tom Brandstater Fresno State
7 Blake Schlueter TCU

This draft killed me!!! Mcdouch was hired late said his staff wasn't prepared for draft but trades up to take Smith then trades him after one year!! just on that whole situation alone he should be fired. Moreno is the #12 pick he better start running like the #12 pick if your a RB taken that high you better be a stud...I haven't seen it yet. Ayers I'm not sold on him yet. Yes he did a nice job against the Titans but there are other times I don't know hes on the field. I like Mcbath If he can stay healthy. Worst pick ever taking Richard Quinn in the second again picks like that kill a franchise. Everyone laughed at oakland for taking Michael Mitchell well we should be laughed at more for taking Quinn. I seen Michael Mitchell making some plays against use sunday where was Quinn?

Rnd Name College Note
1 Demaryius Thomas Georgia Tech
1 Tim Tebow Florida
2 Zane Beadles Utah
3 J.D. Walton Baylor
3 Eric Decker Minnesota
5 Perrish Cox Oklahoma State
6 Eric Olsen Notre Dame
7 Syd'Quan Thompson California
7 Jammie Kirlew Indiana

Cant say to much here don't know yet...A lot of people would debate the Tebow pick I'm not gonna. We will see is all.

My point, you cant keep missing with the first two rounds. We had the talent early to make up for it but now we don't because of the missed picks. Are drafting has to get a lot better Period. :beer:

horsepig
10-25-2010, 07:54 PM
It's gotten to the point where I dread the draft.

They always take some guy I've never even heard of. Who in Denver, besides Woody Paige, ever heard of Ayers?

I'd at least heard of Moreno, but he did not interest me in the least.

Some of Shannahan's picks were just simply nuts, kind of like the Smith & Quinn deal.

cuzz4169
10-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Im a Florida Gators fan and I watch every game and Ayers was never a stand out in those games...Eric Berry was a stand out...and I hated Al Wilson & Leonard Little because those guys destroyed Florida.

rationalfan
10-25-2010, 08:35 PM
i love the draftniks on this board.

a few things:
1. fire mcd for his first draft on principle? fine. if that was common practice half the coaches would be canned for poor drafts. it's a crap shoot. always will be. the teams that do well (baltimore, indy) do well. the others are up and down every other year. it's life.

2. i despise the idea of looking who the team (any team) should have picked instead of player x in round y. obviously, every other team also whiffed on that player. so why use it as an example of how poor the broncos drafted? why not use it as an example of how poor the drafting process is for everyone. and, really, if anybody had cortland finnegan as a future stud when he came out of college i want proof of your statement.

3. if you follow the pre-draft coverage how could you have not heard of ayers? and how could moreno be only familiar? i get bored with college football and read some of the pre-draft coverage every year and even i knew mike mayock tabbed ayers as a future stud (we'll see about that) and moreno was a big name in college.

i'm not trying to rip on anyone in particular, but when people who don't seem to know more than me (a moron) about the draft rip the broncos for poor drafting i have to point out the irony. it's what i do.

on a different note: gotta applaud this thread for actually trying to use the draft as a way to explain why the team's where it is today. it's exponentially better than the predictable and near-sighted "i'm disappointed with the present/reality, let's talk about next year's draft to fulfill my fantasy desires."

am i cranky? probably.

BeefStew25
10-25-2010, 08:39 PM
I never heard of Eddie Royal until be drafted him (and I punched my wife in the face when it happened).

rationalfan
10-25-2010, 08:44 PM
I never heard of Eddie Royal until be drafted him (and I punched my wife in the face when it happened).

sucks to be your wife.

BeefStew25
10-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Totally. But when Eddie had that awesome game at OAK, she was cool with it.

cuzz4169
10-25-2010, 08:50 PM
i love the draftniks on this board.

a few things:
1. fire mcd for his first draft on principle? fine. if that was common practice half the coaches would be canned for poor drafts. it's a crap shoot. always will be. the teams that do well (baltimore, indy) do well. the others are up and down every other year. it's life.

2. i despise the idea of looking who the team (any team) should have picked instead of player x in round y. obviously, every other team also whiffed on that player. so why use it as an example of how poor the broncos drafted? why not use it as an example of how poor the drafting process is for everyone. and, really, if anybody had cortland finnegan as a future stud when he came out of college i want proof of your statement.

First i didn't say the team should've picked those guys just pointing out notable players available. He should be fired for his Madden 2011 move in trading up to draft a player (not a late rounder at that) when he said his staff wasnt really prepared for the draft because they where hired late. So why trade up and take a player whos not a sure thing? Then cut him after a yr?! Thats a bad coaching move at any level. I wouldnt do that in fantasy football...he did it in the NFL!!

rationalfan
10-25-2010, 09:02 PM
comparing fantasy football to the nfl is like comparing a prostitute to a wife.

cuzz4169
10-25-2010, 09:09 PM
comparing fantasy football to the nfl is like comparing a prostitute to a wife.

Good you get my point...tell Mcdouch that.

CrazyHorse
10-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
10-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20.

I agree... I see what the point of the thread is and I agree completely that the drafting has been horrible at times with questionable picks like Clarett, and Thomas among others who were questionable at the time of the pick as well. I think debating the Eddie Royal pick is idiotic, he produces. At the time did we think Jackson and Rice were better? I thought Jackson would suck (proved me wrong) and I was nervous about Rice but I can't recall why now.

BeefStew25
10-25-2010, 09:39 PM
I didn't like Royal at first because his last name seemed uppity to me.

CrazyHorse
10-25-2010, 09:45 PM
I agree... I see what the point of the thread is and I agree completely that the drafting has been horrible at times with questionable picks like Clarett, and Thomas among others who were questionable at the time of the pick as well. I think debating the Eddie Royal pick is idiotic, he produces. At the time did we think Jackson and Rice were better? I thought Jackson would suck (proved me wrong) and I was nervous about Rice but I can't recall why now.

We have had some major screw ups but it's not like we drafted Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell.

Foochacho
10-25-2010, 11:10 PM
lets cherry pick every draft pick. "Oh why did we pick this guy in the first when this 4th round pick has proven to be better 3 years later. I totally would of got that pick right". Please punch yourself in the face. Gay.

Foochacho
10-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Good job on spending all this time on this thread You really gave us all some good insight.:rolleyes:

cuzz4169
10-25-2010, 11:30 PM
We have had some major screw ups but it's not like we drafted Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell.

No we drafted George Foster, Jarvis Moss & Richard Quinn

cuzz4169
10-25-2010, 11:32 PM
lets cherry pick every draft pick. "Oh why did we pick this guy in the first when this 4th round pick has proven to be better 3 years later. I totally would of got that pick right". Please punch yourself in the face. Gay.

Didnt say we shouldve picked this guy or that i was just showing who was there...saying we need to step up are draft process...how many scouts does denver have working? is it the same as other teams or do ours just suck.

cuzz4169
10-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Good job on spending all this time on this thread You really gave us all some good insight.:rolleyes:

Then you have no clue!!! You build your team first with the draft second with FA's...Denvers drafts have sucked...We got away with it early in 2000 to 2005 bc we had talent...now that Denver is running out of talent and we aren't spending big money on FA's we cant continue to miss with Draft picks.

P.S. you left 2 posts so I got you to read it. :lol:

Foochacho
10-25-2010, 11:42 PM
Your right I have no clue, no other team has ever missed on draft picks. Unless you were calling for these players you listed the year we drafted then please ****. Our drafts along with many other teams drafts have sucked balls, along with Fa pick ups. This thread sucks ass you wasted your time. Mcdaniels sucks no denying it, but so does this thread.

Foochacho
10-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Didnt say we shouldve picked this guy or that i was just showing who was there...saying we need to step up are draft process...how many scouts does denver have working? is it the same as other teams or do ours just suck.

why spend the time to list them then? Lying out your ass is cool :puke:.

Foochacho
10-25-2010, 11:46 PM
lol. s t f u is a banned phrase. wtf.

cuzz4169
10-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Your right I have no clue, no other team has ever missed on draft picks. Unless you were calling for these players you listed the year we drafted then please ****. Our drafts along with many other teams drafts have sucked balls, along with Fa pick ups. This thread sucks ass you wasted your time. Mcdaniels sucks no denying it, but so does this thread.

nice i got 5 posts out of you...and yea all the teams that blow in the draft suck...ahh are you blind do you not get what im saying...post some more plz.

Foochacho
10-26-2010, 12:46 AM
No, I don't see what you are saying please waste your time and look up some more draft history for me I am intrigued.

cuzz4169
10-26-2010, 01:52 AM
figures....but you posted again ty

Lonestar
10-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Actually to know where we are today and the road that got us here you have to understand tha ramifications of decisions past.

The draft is a crap shoot for most teams.

But the better teams seem to have a better handle on it. But then the better teams have had good GM works for a long time.

Unlike in DEN where IIRC Gerke was the last bonafide one and that is not saying much.

Coulda woulda shoulda has been our drafting forever. So whining about it now when you should have been concerned with the last 14 years falls on my deaf ears will post more later door closing on plane.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums