PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels apologizes while the rest of Denver goes insane

broncobryce
10-25-2010, 11:40 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/25/mcdaniels-apologizes-while-the-rest-of-denver-goes-insane/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 25, 2010 10:33 AM ET

Broncos Josh McDaniels knew this wasn't just any other loss. After Denver's 59-14 beatdown to Oakland, the coach tried to make sense of the seemingly season-shattering moment.

"I apologize to [owner] Pat [Bowlen], the organization, the fans, everybody else. That was awful," McDaniels said.

This was the type of game that turns a normally loyal fanbase against a coach. In a poll Monday morning on the Denver Post's website, 83% of voters says the team has already quit on the season and won't even "keep trying."

We'd expect the fans to be so emotional, but they aren't the only ones taking the loss hard.

Mark Kislza of the Denver Post writes that Kyle Orton "is done" in Denver and Orton just doesn't know it. Kislza wonders when the Tim Tebow era will start.

"Orton can never again inspire real hope in this town," he writes. Later: "If Tebow can't play, then McDaniels is done in Denver."

Insinuating Orton is the problem in Denver is like saying the sports section is responsible for the decline of newspapers. You want to kill the one part of the team that produces? The same writers that are despondent about the Broncos Monday (with reason, of course) thought they had a chance to win the AFC West before Sunday's game.

Another headline in the Post: "Josh losing fans; is he losing team too?" Inside the article: "Nothing about the team [McDaniels] coaches bears any resemblance to the things he talks about."

(The reaction reminds us a lot of the response Tennessee's 59-0 loss in New England inspired last year.)

It's safe to say the honeymoon is over for McDaniels in Denver. The lucky part here is his schedule and an owner known for patience. The Broncos go to London to face the 49ers, a team in bigger disarray than them. Then they get a bye week to regroup.

McDaniels needs to show his coaching chops the next nine weeks, but it wouldn't take that long to turn around those poll results and the writers' opinions.

All Denver needs is to win two straight games. If that happens, everyone will shower McDaniels with praise, saying the team didn't give up when times were darkest. They'll realize they overreacted. If they go 1-1, then McDaniels will be the same jerk they thought he was all along.

If they go 0-2, they will burn him at the stake.

broncobryce
10-25-2010, 11:42 AM
I remember that 59-0 game when the Patriots murdered the Titans. Fisher Turned it around with Vince Young. Not sure it can happen in Denver though. I can still hope.

OrangeHoof
10-25-2010, 11:44 AM
All Denver needs is to win two straight games. If that happens, everyone will shower McDaniels with praise, saying the team didn't give up when times were darkest. They'll realize they overreacted. If they go 1-1, then McDaniels will be the same jerk they thought he was all along.

If they go 0-2, they will burn him at the stake.

Just about sums it up.

Northman
10-25-2010, 11:44 AM
Insinuating Orton is the problem in Denver is like saying the sports section is responsible for the decline of newspapers. You want to kill the one part of the team that produces? The same writers that are despondent about the Broncos Monday (with reason, of course) thought they had a chance to win the AFC West before Sunday's game.

Actually, i dont think he was insinuating that Orton is the problem. Only that if we keep losing we will start to see Tebow because we will be out of playoff contention.

Shazam!
10-25-2010, 11:53 AM
All Denver needs is to win two straight games.

No. Two wins means nothing now.

Some had hopes this would be a playoff contender in a pretty pathetic AFC West. I don't mean a Super Bowl contender, just a playoff contender.

SF?? Denver can lose that game. Nothing surprises me after this bullshit yesterday.

Im still sick about it.

Northman
10-25-2010, 11:55 AM

Some had hopes this would be a playoff contender in a pretty pathetic AFC West. I don't mean a Super Bowl contender, just a playoff contender.

SF?? Denver can lose that game. Nothing surprises me after this bullshit yesterday.

Im still sick about it.

I agree. 2 wins would just be a start. But, they need to win out to regain faith in McD and within themselves. Losing next week will only add more pressure and doubt.

broncobryce
10-25-2010, 11:56 AM

Im still sick about it.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if we lost. Or won. I don't know what to think after yesterday, but nothing would suprise me.

Foochacho
10-25-2010, 11:59 AM
I have a feeling SF will destroy us. We are battered and broken and Singletary needs a win just as bad as Josh. We will make them look like contenders as well.

Shazam!
10-25-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm not going to say we should've kept Shanahan, a change was needed. He led us to monumental collapses and blowouts with little success in a decade after Elway. His results in Wash have no reflection on him staying in Den. After all -

1: He has a QB now better than any post Elway QB.

2: Wash is in the NFC that is chock full of mediocre teams.

3: He grew stale here and a change is all that he needed.

4: Wash had talent. They weren't Detroit.

Anyway I'm not going to turn this into a Shanny thing. This is about McDaniels.

I feel betrayed by McDaniels.

Everything we were led to believe about his actions and decisions was false.

Betrayed may seem strong, but that's the only word I can find.

This is inexcusable. Barring an incredible turnaround I dont see how he keeps his job. There are still 9 games left. KC and SD seems like incredibly tough games right about now...

Northman
10-25-2010, 12:06 PM
I have a feeling SF will destroy us. We are battered and broken and Singletary needs a win just as bad as Josh. We will make them look like contenders as well.

Thats my worry too. They have lost a lot of close games so the team itself has not given up like we did yesterday. If McD doenst fix this we could get steamrolled in London. I hope thats not the case.

BORDERLINE
10-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Look guys the Broncos just need to forget this loss. Orton said in his post game the season doesn't stop for them. at 0-6 the Titans last year came back and managed to string together a winning streak. Now i'm not saying the Broncos will do it, but it's possible. I'm really pist at the whole performance of yesterdays game and all should be to blame. But denvr just needs to put this one behind them or it will eat us alive all year

Northman
10-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm not going to say we should've kept Shanahan, a change was needed. He led us to monumental collapses and blowouts with little success in a decade after Elway.

His time was coming to an end. I thought he would get one more year at least since he and Goodmans i felt were going in the right direction. But it is what it is.

Technically, i think we had a good QB in Cutler and with McD's reputation as a QB guy (obviously with the work he did with Orton) i saw no reason to try and rock the boat with trade talks. But in the end Jay couldnt get over that hump and wanted out. But, i think we had a QB here that had some chemistry with the team.

Aside from KC, the AFCW is horrible and much worse than the NFCE.

Definitely. Players were no longer responding to him and he was losing control of the lockerroom at times. But, how ironic that now McD seems to be losing his lockerroom too? So far in his short tenure there hasnt been any improvement in wins or in a lot of areas that were problems under Shanahan as well.

Denver had talent on offense yet it was gutted. Washington had some talent and Shanahan tweaked certain positions (Qb, RB) without gutting the entire team. The thing is though, its not like Wash is dominating teams but they are winning the close games and thats a difference in having a HC who is a proven winner vs a newbie.

arapaho2
10-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Look guys the Broncos just need to forget this loss. Orton said in his post game the season doesn't stop for them. at 0-6 the Titans last year came back and managed to string together a winning streak. Now i'm not saying the Broncos will do it, but it's possible. I'm really pist at the whole performance of yesterdays game and all should be to blame. But denvr just needs to put this one behind them or it will eat us alive all year

differance is the titans had the second best rush offense...and rode the back of a 2000 yard rusher

our best back is aver 3.3 ypc and our longest rush is 17 yards ...big diff

Shazam!
10-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Look guys the Broncos just need to forget this loss. Orton said in his post game the season doesn't stop for them. at 0-6 the Titans last year came back and managed to string together a winning streak. Now i'm not saying the Broncos will do it, but it's possible. I'm really pist at the whole performance of yesterdays game and all should be to blame

Tenn is a much more physical team than Denver, with a better front 7, running game, and an experienced, hardened Coach.

If the NYJ loss was psychologically damaging, what would this kind of beating do to their psyche?

I dont know what to think about this team or McD anymore. Not happy.

Northman
10-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Tenn is a much more physical team than Denver, with a better front 7, running game, and an experienced, hardened Coach.

If the NYJ loss was psychologically damaging, what would this kind of beating do to their psyche?

At this point we can only hope for the best. Really not much else to say.

Shazam!
10-25-2010, 12:33 PM
At this point we can only hope for the best.

The best we can hope for is TT to get some experience, McDaniels get fired, bring in a marquee name to turn this around.

I know this is far from my feelings about McDaniels previously. I always gave him the benefit of the doubt. I didn't see the loss (THANK GOD) but I saw tons of highlights. I just cannot accept a loss like that.

When the team and the COACH looks flat, lifeless and uninspired, the plug must be pulled.

...and believe me I don't like saying all this.

Cowher or Gruden please.

Northman
10-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Cant argue that. I like both Cowher and Gruden so i would be elated to have either.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
10-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Cant argue that. I like both Cowher and Gruden so i would be elated to have either.

I think all of this talk is starting to get ahead of ourselves

Northman
10-25-2010, 12:39 PM

Probably. Im not expecting a change right now. Im not even expecting Bowlen to bring in those guys even if McD is cut loose. But, it certainly shows the frustration from the fanbase after a very humiliating loss.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
10-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Probably. Im not expecting a change right now. Im not even expecting Bowlen to bring in those guys even if McD is cut loose. But, it certainly shows the frustration from the fanbase after a very humiliating loss.

For once I'm think I'm glad I didn't get the game on TV....

BroncoWave
10-25-2010, 12:49 PM
I watched every second of it on TV. Our game was the last one to end so I was one of the last couple of people to leave the sports bar. There were times I considered leaving but once the 4th quarter started I was just intrigued to see if the Raiders could beat the scoring record.

Lancane
10-25-2010, 12:54 PM

I wouldn't say that, the fact that the media says Bowlen is patient is really a testament to the long tenures of Reeve's and Shanahan's, Wade Phillips was fired because the team was not headed in the right direction, even though so many put it on the fact that Bowlen wanted Shanahan, it may be true...but we did interview other coaches for the position and the void was not filled immediately and Shanahan could not even promise to take a position since he was in post-season play, that is a pure media-spin on the issue. Reeves tried to trade Elway, boom he was gone quicker then he could pack his office, Phillips was dropped like a bad cold and Shanahan had no idea his job was in question. I would say with all the other circus-esque moves made by McDaniels and Xanders that they are in deeper doo-doo then Phillips was in just two years. The only thing that might save his hide is Tebow, that's might...because Gruden loves the kid and that could be incentive enough for Bowlen to go that route and likely without having another roster purge. The point is that Bowlen is not as patient as some making him out to be, Reeve's had taken the Broncos to the playoffs within two seasons and same for Shanahan, unless a miracle strikes McDaniels will be the only coach during Bowlen's tenure as owner to not make that feat, even Phillips had the Broncos in the playoffs in his first season!

rcsodak
10-25-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm not going to say we should've kept Shanahan, a change was needed. He led us to monumental collapses and blowouts with little success in a decade after Elway. His results in Wash have no reflection on him staying in Den. After all
Anyway I'm not going to turn this into a Shanny thing. This is about McDaniels.I feel betrayed by McDaniels. Everything we were led to believe about his actions and decisions was false.Betrayed may seem strong, but that's the only word I can find.This is inexcusable. Barring an incredible turnaround I dont see how he keeps his job. There are still 9 games left. KC and SD seems like incredibly tough games right about now...
Sure hope you weren't part of the minions that said they could handle some losing seasons, post shanny.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

T.K.O.
10-25-2010, 01:30 PM
For once I'm think I'm glad I didn't get the game on TV....

for once i'm really glad i went to the jats game instead of that debacle yesterday !!:laugh:

Slick
10-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Sure hope you weren't part of the minions that said they could handle some losing seasons, post shanny.

Sure glad you're around to put us all in our place.

I Eat Staples
10-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Insinuating Orton is the problem in Denver is like saying the sports section is responsible for the decline of newspapers. You want to kill the one part of the team that produces?

This is all too familiar. McDaniels took over in 09 and killed the one part of the team that produced. Now our offense is producing again, and people want it to be killed again? If we continue to do this we won't get anywhere.

Shazam!
10-25-2010, 02:08 PM

RC,

I didn't expect a Super Bowl contender. All I wanted to see is this team compete with 100% effort. At least show us progress. I thought there was some. But after yesterday I dont know.

There's a load of talent on this team.

Anyone who somehow thinks a loss of this kind of magnitude is somehow tolerable is not a fan. Ive been witness to some brutal losses, but this? C'mon.

I gave McD every benefit of the doubt in his decsions. But after this?!

When the team effort disappears and the Coach looks clueless on the sidelines, something is very wrong.

BroncoStud
10-25-2010, 02:12 PM
I want to know why everyone is so happy with Kyle Orton...

Sure he has decent numbers, but he doesn't make plays when they need to be made. This offense is designed to throw the ball, a lot, so his numbers SHOULD be decent.

Tom Brady in the same offense puts up great numbers and pulls out great wins. Orton is playing as good as he possibly can and it wasn't good enough to beat Jacksonville, Indy, Baltimore, the J-E-T-S, or the Raiders.

Orton just doesn't have that ability to overcome mistakes or bad defense. A few years ago Jay Cutler willed the Broncos to victory over the Browns in Cleveland. Orton could never pull out a game like that, he just lacks the ability.

He's a good stopgap, he's a REALLY good backup, but he is not a QB that is good enough to make your team elite. See the Bengals, John Kitna reached his potential and they weren't afraid to insert Carson Palmer.

I rarely see Orton make plays that have to be made to keep the Broncos in games. There is no way in heck he can shoot out with Manning, Rivers, or any other good QB in this league and win, no way. Denver invested a 1st rounder in Tim Tebow, and if the losses start to mount it will be foolish not to start him. K. Moreno is not a great fit for this system. A guy like D. Sproles would likely flourish. It seems like Denver needs a fast scatback who can catch the ball, and make things happen in the open field. Moreno is much more suited for a 1-cut offense, wasted draft pick if you are going to run a shotgun spread offense.

The defense is a mess, not sure why. Special Teams aren't special.

This is by no means a knock on Orton. I think Kyle is playing as well as he can, but it isn't enough to lift this team up, it isn't enough to convert much needed 3rd downs, it isn't enough to get passes in tight spots when they HAVE to be thrown in tight spots. It just seems when Denver has to have a play, Orton isn't able to make it.

Lancane
10-25-2010, 02:18 PM

I could live with a few losing seasons, if only the effort was there...if we lost every damn game but played to the best of our ability and only lost by a touchdown or less, I would be happy. But we purged the better half of our talent, transcended to schemes and a philosophy that doesn't exactly work well here and have been embarrassed by not only our game play but also from the front office and coaching decisions made in two short years and in the end are showing no progress...that's hard to swallow.

We are back peddling from one of the most respected franchises of the past three decades to the Detroit Lions without the economic poverty which Michigan has long had.

rcsodak
10-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Sure glad you're around to put us all in our place.
I'll be your Huckleberry. :D

I Eat Staples
10-25-2010, 02:35 PM
For those of you who want Tebow to play and McD to be fired...

Those don't go hand in hand. Tebow is McD's project. When and if we fire him, not many coaches out there are going to want to deal with McD's waste of a first round pick. Unless Bowlen insists on keeping Tebow even after McD is gone, which I hope to God he doesn't, then our new coach isn't going to want Tebow. Unless they want to use some more of that wildcat bullshit that should be left in college.

Lancane
10-25-2010, 02:36 PM

Those don't go hand in hand. Tebow is McD's project. When and if we fire him, not many coaches out there are going to want to deal with McD's waste of a first round pick. Unless Bowlen insists on keeping Tebow even after McD is gone, which I hope to God he doesn't, then our new coach isn't going to want Tebow. Unless they want to use some more of that wildcat bullshit that should be left in college.

Tebow could be the incentive to land Gruden, so I would not say that it's completely out of the question that one is gone and the other remains.

Shazam!
10-25-2010, 02:37 PM

idk... if a Coach comes in that believes in TT's talent, then the francise QB is already in place and he doesnt have to worry about Drafting one. Instead he can concentrate on the Lines. Den could be an attractive job for that alone.

rcsodak
10-25-2010, 02:37 PM
RC,
I didn't expect a Super Bowl contender. All I wanted to see is this team compete with 100% effort. At least show us progress. I thought there was some. But after yesterday I dont know.
There's a load of talent on this team.
Anyone who somehow thinks a loss of this kind of magnitude is somehow tolerable is not a fan. Ive been witness to some brutal losses, but this? C'mon.
I gave McD every benefit of the doubt in his decsions. But after this?!
When the team effort disappears and the Coach looks clueless on the sidelines, something is very wrong.
ok,shaz. What SHOULD mcD have done/said? The last time he went off he had to answer for it til...hell....he STILL does. Listen, some players thrive off of yelling.....some dont. Maybe he saw this coming in practice last week, and called them on it. At some point, he has to grab their full/undivided attention. You know what? I think that MAYBE he has their attention now. At least thats what I'm hoping. Guess we'll see.

The Glue Factory
10-25-2010, 02:40 PM

After watching the first couple of series, it seemed like the team was just wound to tight. Then going down 2 and 3 TDs in such a short time the team just mailed it in until coach gave them an earful for 12 minutes. Things got a little better after half time but the game was way far gone 20 minutes earlier.

Yesterday's performance by this team reminded me of the SBs under Reeves. It took some time to work out the nerves. In this case by the time that happened the score was out of hand. I'm not going to say this is all the coaches fault but it sure seems like they have a much bigger hand in today's depression than in last weeks loss to the Jets.

OrangeHoof
10-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Thats my worry too. They have lost a lot of close games so the team itself has not given up like we did yesterday.

The Niners are never going to quit because they don't want to see Singletary drop his pants in the locker room like he did last year. That's enough to make a team play til the end. :eek:

Benetto
10-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Gruden please.:coffee:

jhildebrand
10-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Gruden? :confused:

Look at how he left TB and that team. Sure he won a SB with the D Dungy built. Granted he beat the team he built.

I just am not sure Gruden is the best option

claymore
10-25-2010, 06:31 PM
I like Gruden, he fell into the same mode Shanny did though, "reloading". Never getting a quality QB.

I say get a top notch personell guy and let the rest fall into place.

Ravage!!!
10-25-2010, 06:33 PM
No one is blaming the season on Orton...but although Orton's numbers were very good the first 4 weeks of the season, that has dropped off SIGNIFICANTLY ever since. We have already gone round and round about how past QBs had great stats, and all that matters is wins. 4-13 is just as much Orton's record as it is McD's. Our offense doesn't score. Thats just as much on the QB as it is the coach. We've gotten more out of Orton than anyone expected.....early on. But, eventually all things settle and move towards the middle.

jhildebrand
10-25-2010, 06:34 PM
I say get a top notch personell guy and let the rest fall into place.

A real GM. A ron wolfe, ted thompson type. I would take Marty as a GM. The guy knows what football players look like!

Ravage!!!
10-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Tebow could be the incentive to land Gruden, so I would not say that it's completely out of the question that one is gone and the other remains.

Gruden DOES seem to drool over TT.... but that could be "announcer" talk. The kind of talk you say from "over here" and don't really think that high.

But at the same time, if he does, you are dead on.

OrangeHoof
10-25-2010, 06:38 PM
We need a defensive coach and we need one badly. I said all along that Bowlen's mistake was to replace Shanny with an offensive coach when offense wasn't the problem. Even worse, he chose someone who somehow believed he was hired to rebuild the offense.

A solid GM, yes, but what we really need is a top defensive mind and we had the chance to get Rex Ryan when Shanny was fired.

claymore
10-25-2010, 06:41 PM
A real GM. A ron wolfe, ted thompson type. I would take Marty as a GM. The guy knows what football players look like!

Word. I would love to have Marty in here as a GM.

Ravage!!!
10-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Man I get a woody thinking about Marty as GM and Gruden as coach.

claymore
10-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Man I get a woody thinking about Marty as GM and Gruden as coach.

I just took back a post in another thread cause it made me feel like a homosexual. But I would love that too.

Dzone
10-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Listening to sports radio on my way home from work. They were saying that san francisco is ALREADY in London getting ready while denver is waiting until thursday to go to london. They were saying that Mcdaniels needs to do some studying up about jet lag

Ravage!!!
10-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Listening to sports radio on my way home from work. They were saying that san francisco is ALREADY in London getting ready while denver is waiting until thursday to go to london. They were saying that Mcdaniels needs to do some studying up about jet lag

Yeah.. San Fran left after their game, and was leaving for London around half-time of our game with Oakland. Our team decided to practice at home. I like San Fran's approach better..... get there, get acclimated, practice there, and be ready rather than pulling the west coast to east coast problem we see in the NFL, 'cept this is even worse.

TXBRONC
10-25-2010, 07:18 PM
I just took back a post in another thread cause it made me feel like a homosexual. But I would love that too.

Geez Clay just about everything makes you feel like a homosexual. :lol:

horsepig
10-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing Marty as HC. The guy's always had winners.

Northman
10-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Marty cant get to the SB. Ill pass.

I Eat Staples
10-25-2010, 09:21 PM

Meh, I'm not crazy about Gruden. I'd take anyone over McD though.

idk... if a Coach comes in that believes in TT's talent, then the francise QB is already in place and he doesnt have to worry about Drafting one. Instead he can concentrate on the Lines. Den could be an attractive job for that alone.

If a coach believes in Tebow's talent he's probably as awful at scouting talent as McD. I wouldn't want that. We have a franchise QB: Kyle Orton.

BroncoWave
10-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Meh, I'm not crazy about Gruden. I'd take anyone over McD though.

If a coach believes in Tebow's talent he's probably as awful at scouting talent as McD. I wouldn't want that. We have a franchise QB: Kyle Orton.

Multiple super bowl winning coaches have said they believe in Tebow's talent. I guess they are bad talent evaluators too?

jhildebrand
10-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Marty cant get to the SB. Ill pass.

Marty has never had the fortune of working for an owner like Bowlen. All of Marty's teams were home grown and his owners cheap when they were only a FA away.

It is also important to remember that Schottenheimer had the misfortune of going up against a team of the decade three times: 80's broncos when he was with cleveland, 90's broncos with KC, and 2000's Pats with SD.

TXBRONC
10-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Marty has never had the fortune of working for an owner like Bowlen. All of Marty's teams were home grown and his owners cheap when they were only a FA away.

It is also important to remember that Schottenheimer had the misfortune of going up against a team of the decade three times: 80's broncos when he was with cleveland, 90's broncos with KC, and 2000's Pats with SD.

Don't forget Marty did work for Lamar Hunt who was a great owner.

Marty knows how rebuild a team and get them to the playoffs but his problem is that he always plays it to close to the vest and that has always bitten him in the ass when comes to the playoffs.

That being said I think I could handle him being the head coach IF it comes down to that. Also I also would have a problem with hiring a guy like Cowher or Gruden. The rub is that no head coach that I'm aware of has ever won a Super Bowl with two different teams.

Bill Devaroe
10-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Marty? No way.....

What we need to do is simple. Bowlen needs to strip back Mc D's power, get the GM duties off his plate so he can coach. He is too green to coach by himself so maybe bring in elway as co-coach or something.

TXBRONC
10-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Marty? No way.....

What we need to do is simple. Bowlen needs to strip back Mc D's power, get the GM duties off his plate so he can coach. He is too green to coach by himself so maybe bring in elway as co-coach or something.

Bill you've been drinking to much Tab cola. You should go to bed and sleep it off. :D

Northman
10-25-2010, 10:12 PM

Im not buying dude. Marty had no problem beating those teams during the regular season. Didnt he take his Chargers into NE and beat them senseless? The problem for Marty (much like Norv) is their tendency to become to conservative in crunch time. The one year where they were totally dominating the Pats in the playoffs they had like a 21-3 lead only to go away from the run and allow NE to get back in the game and steal one from them. This isnt a GM issue or Owner issue. Its a coaching issue and Marty has AlWAYS self destructed come playoff time. It wasnt just the Broncos or Pats who defeated Marty's teams.

Northman
10-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Don't forget Marty did work for Lamar Hunt who was a great owner.

Marty knows how rebuild a team and get them to the playoffs but his problem is that he always plays it to close to the vest and that has always bitten him in the ass when comes to the playoffs.

That being said I think I could handle him being the head coach IF it comes down to that. Also I also would have a problem with hiring a guy like Cowher or Gruden. The rub is that no head coach that I'm aware of has ever won a Super Bowl with two different teams.

I was going to high five you until the last paragraph. I dont want Shotty here. It would be pointless with his history.

nevcraw
10-25-2010, 10:27 PM
I love Gruden but don't want him as HC.. As an OC? in a New York minute.

not sold on Cower either... a lot of lean years in his history..

Need someone with a strong personality / sense of humor and football acumen who the team can be molded into their likeness.
ala RR with the Jet's. those player wring out every drop for that guy...

look at Spags in St louis.. Lex may have been right...

Broncos Mtnman
10-25-2010, 10:33 PM

That Titans comparison isn't really valid.

They did turn it around, but it only happened after they made a change. They also had a TON more experience in the coaching ranks than the Broncos do.

Mickey doesn't seem to me to be the type to change anything and he doesn't have the experience of "being there - done that" that inspires a team to try.

scott.475
10-25-2010, 10:40 PM
I just have to say that the Pats-Titans comparison we have seen mentioned since yesterday just isn't even close to being pertinent. First, the Titans lost to an all decade team, the Patriots. We lost to the frickin' Raiders...the Raiders people! Second, Fisher has won, and has come literally just a yard from winning it all, he knows how to win and build a team. Us, right now, not so much. I would think that playing on a Jeff Fisher team, even if you are on a losing streak, you could at least believe there would be light at the end of the tunnel at some point because of his history. I doubt many Bronco's players are believing that right now.

Lancane
10-25-2010, 10:46 PM
I just have to say that the Pats-Titans comparison we have seen mentioned since yesterday just isn't even close to being pertinent. First, the Titans lost to an all decade team, the Patriots. We lost to the frickin' Raiders...the Raiders people! Second, Fisher has won, and has come literally just a yard from winning it all, he knows how to win and build a team. Us, right now, not so much. I would think that playing on a Jeff Fisher team, even if you are on a losing streak, you could at least believe there would be light at the end of the tunnel at some point because of his history. I doubt many Bronco's players are believing that right now.

...Hey now, they believe they can fly. And so would you if you had a coach who treats his team like the kids on the short yellow bus he use to ride to school in!

:lol:

Gimpygod
10-26-2010, 12:51 PM

Gruden please because he is intelligent and full of piss and vinegar. Bill Cowher is way too conservative on offense for my taste, however, I can't even recollect what a good defense looks like in a bronco uniform. Even during the Super Bowl years our defense gained most of its effectiveness because the other team had to score every possession and were generally looking at a 20 point deficit so we could really tee off and get after the quarterback, look for the strip or go for the interception.

roomemp
10-26-2010, 01:36 PM

They also had Chris Johnson and his record setting year to help

Northman
10-26-2010, 01:44 PM
They also had Chris Johnson and his record setting year to help

Not too mention some of those wins came against the Jaguars, Bills, Niners, Texans, Rams, and Seahawks.