PDA

View Full Version : Gruden or Cowher?

TimBuff10
10-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Assuming we are going to actually have a season next year, who should PB go for? I am thinking it needs to be a big name that people respect. Another Coordinator/Asst isn't going to do it.

Gruden or the Chin would both be great hires as they have the credibility that fans will be able to get behind and not be divided like they have been with McD from the get-go.

A GM would be nice too since that is basically what has sunk both Shanny and McD.

GEM
10-25-2010, 12:10 AM
CHUCKY!! :rockon:

turftoad
10-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Kyle Shanahan. :shocked:

DenBronx
10-25-2010, 12:17 AM
I'd be happy with either one but Cowher doesn't dick around with mediocre defenses. He is a run first and stop the run kind of smash mouth coach. That's my first choice.

But Chucky always seems to get the job done and better the team where ever he goes. He is VERY intense!

Both coaches have endorsed Tebow so that could sway one here.

BroncoWave
10-25-2010, 12:21 AM
I'd be happy with either one but Cowher doesn't dick around with mediocre defenses. He is a run first and stop the run kind of smash mouth coach. That's my first choice.

But Chucky always seems to get the job done and better the team where ever he goes. He is VERY intense! And....he endorses Tebow so that could sway him here.

That last part is a good point. If we are going to get rid of McD I would like whoever comes in to be willing to give Tebow a shot here.

DenBronx
10-25-2010, 12:35 AM
That last part is a good point. If we are going to get rid of McD I would like whoever comes in to be willing to give Tebow a shot here.

I just hope that Bowlen pulls the trigger sooner than later. I have a feeling he will ignore this until next year and especially since the CBA negotiations are still going on.

GEM
10-25-2010, 12:40 AM
I like Chucky because he gets so freaking pissed off. He'd surpass Shanny on the red face. :laugh:

jhildebrand
10-25-2010, 12:42 AM
Brian Schottenheimer with Marty in COMPLETE CONTROL of player personnel

DenBronx
10-25-2010, 12:43 AM
I like Chucky because he gets so freaking pissed off. He'd surpass Shanny on the red face. :laugh:

It's pure evil!

Would he like coming back to the AFC west? I miss having a HC that hated the Raiders as much as I do.

TimBuff10
10-25-2010, 12:44 AM
Cowher to the Broncos; Chucky to the Buffs!

GEM
10-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Cowher to the Broncos; Chucky to the Buffs!

I want Logan to the Buffs!

jhildebrand
10-25-2010, 12:47 AM

I called 104.3 the fan 3 years ago when Irv and Joe were still there. I was laughed off the air. Now Joe is the biggest Logan booster. He is the guy I want there too!

GEM
10-25-2010, 12:50 AM
I called 104.3 the fan 3 years ago when Irv and Joe were still there. I was laughed off the air. Now Joe is the biggest Logan booster. He is the guy I want there too!

He could be absolutely amazing there. I remember when they had that talk on 104.3. I thought those guys were absolute freaking idiots when they wouldn't even consider it. I'm all for Logan because of his head coaching experience. He has created state champions everywhere he has been. Chatfield, Arvada West, and Mullen. Each team saw a decline when he left. He's an alumni so there is already a love for the team and school. Again...he could be absolutely amazing there.

silkamilkamonico
10-25-2010, 01:04 AM
I certainly would NOT want another young OC prodigy.

John Gruden or bust.

Watchthemiddle
10-25-2010, 01:11 AM
He could be absolutely amazing there. I remember when they had that talk on 104.3. I thought those guys were absolute freaking idiots when they wouldn't even consider it. I'm all for Logan because of his head coaching experience. He has created state champions everywhere he has been. Chatfield, Arvada West, and Mullen. Each team saw a decline when he left. He's an alumni so there is already a love for the team and school. Again...he could be absolutely amazing there.

104.3 the fan is a bunch of idiots.....I love the new 87.7 the ticket. They actually have CU guys talking sports, Broncos and their own shows...(d Graham show, Champ...etc) and I agree on Logan. The reason B Marsh's nephew and others go to Mullen is because of Logan. Gone are the days of my rival Cherry Creek....its all about Mullen.

Bozo Jr.
10-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Chucky Gruden FTW. It's a perfect fit!

The Kid's got to go. Sorry JMCD, Ive supported you enough. After Today, I and I also believe many others feel the same way.:tsk:

Gruden would = A+++

horsepig
10-25-2010, 01:21 AM
wtf?

TimBuff10
10-25-2010, 01:27 AM

Haha, so you are that guy? Sorry man, no one outside of Colorado has heard of him. Can you see him going into the living room of a recruit in Compton or Dallas? What is he going to say? "Hey I used to play for CU and was a HighSchool coach, now I do commercials for 1st Bank. Want to come to CU?"

I would love to see him on the staff as a TE coach or coach some other position, maybe even be in charge of local recruiting, but anything more than that is asking for disaster.

TimBuff10
10-25-2010, 01:30 AM
I know the CU football program sucks right now but you guys do realize that they aren't high school right?

Watchthemiddle
10-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Haha, so you are that HOTTIE Sorry BABE, no one outside of Colorado has heard of him. Can you see him going into the living room of a recruit in Compton or Dallas? What is he going to say? "Hey I used to play for CU and was a HighSchool coach, now I do commercials for 1st Bank. Want to come to CU?"

I would love to see him on the staff as a TE coach or coach some other position, maybe even be in charge of local recruiting, but anything more than that is asking for disaster.

****edited for accuracy********

Memo: Gem is not a guy/man (see HER avatar)

Carry on

Poet
10-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Gruden would be a good coach for you guys, but I think Cowher is the better choice.

Cowher has had more success than Gruden and when he went to Pittsburgh he took them from a mediocre team to the playoffs in one year.

You take a look at the guys and they're both impressive in their own rights, so I guess you take a look at the 'knocks' on them.

For years Steeler fans accused Cowher of playing his guys and veterans over more deserving and better youthful players. An example of this that did turn out to be true was Joey Porter playing over James Harrison. This has some merit to it.

Gruden's knock is that he only succeeded with other people's players or a team full of really good veterans. His detractors point to the fact that once all of Dungy's players left the Buccaneers weren't ever that good. This has some merit to it.

I look at Gruden as a good coach and Cowher as a great one.

Who knows?

silkamilkamonico
10-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Gruden would be a good coach for you guys, but I think Cowher is the better choice.

Cowher has had more success than Gruden and when he went to Pittsburgh he took them from a mediocre team to the playoffs in one year.

You take a look at the guys and they're both impressive in their own rights, so I guess you take a look at the 'knocks' on them.

For years Steeler fans accused Cowher of playing his guys and veterans over more deserving and better youthful players. An example of this that did turn out to be true was Joey Porter playing over James Harrison. This has some merit to it.

Gruden's knock is that he only succeeded with other people's players or a team full of really good veterans. His detractors point to the fact that once all of Dungy's players left the Buccaneers weren't ever that good. This has some merit to it.

I look at Gruden as a good coach and Cowher as a great one.

Who knows?

Oakland had one of the best offenses in the NFL under Gruden and his guys.

Unfortunately for him he was severly handicapped in TB, as they were so in debt from Manchester U that TB was given the bare minimum to spend on players.

Cowher is a very good coach but I would dread watching his offenses.

Watchthemiddle
10-25-2010, 02:10 AM

Unfortunately for him he was severly handicapped in TB, as they were so in debt from Manchester U that TB was given the bare minimum to spend on players.

Wishful thinking......but Cowher as HC and McDaniels as OC.

We better stop right now because if we axe McD.....Jerry Jones will hire Cowher as HC and pick up Josh as his OC......

silkamilkamonico
10-25-2010, 02:12 AM
Wishful thinking......but Cowher as HC and McDaniels as OC.

We better stop right now because if we axe McD.....Jerry Jones will hire Cowher as HC and pick up Josh as his OC......

There couldn't be more different offensive philosophys than a coach who likes to air it out in McDaniels, and a coach who wants to do nothing but run the ball in Cowher.

There is no way those 2 would ever work together, just for that reason.

horsepig
10-25-2010, 02:19 AM
Seriously, have you guys listened to Chucky's calls during the ganes? My 14 year old niece can call at least a competive game plan as Chuckie.

This whole thing of paying guys like McD or Shannahan $5,000,000/yr to coach a ****** football team is crazy. These guys throw around a lot of terms like "2 gap", "cover two", "two deep", "over balanced line", and , my personal favorite, the "jumbo" formtion.

They sit around drinking beer and think up new things to call a monster back blitz.

Most of the NFL players are not scholars. Yet the NFL coaches insist on making these guys that could barely read about Jack and Jill recognize a cover 3, outside blitz, with the free safety coming balls out. The $$$$$$$$QB better see it first, then, what, wink, yell ,"blue 56", point and say "white 83 R XTS Z down RT" and expect all these guys to here it, and understand it? I think it's a ****** miracle when they even complete a simple screen.

Let me ask you, the fan, do you think Gafney or LLoyd get open because Orton pointed the coverage? I think it is a combination of pass protection and the receiver's ability to create separation.

Do you ,as a fan, think that you could not design plays to get Eddie Royal the football for at least a 3 yard gain every ****** down?

I have played corner at the college level, you cannot cover a guy like Royal right off the los. If you do, he'll burn your ass deep so fast you'll just say ,oh shit, as he runs away down the sideline.

I'm not saying NFL corners can't cover Eddie. What I'm saying is that they can't cover him underneath and cover him deep. On the other hand receivers always seemed kind of stupid to me. Usually the QB just threw it to a spot and the WR was no weres close to it.
Until you have face a truly great QB.

I played with one of the very best come from behind college QBs of all time. BTW, I'm not the only guy that thought that about Kelly Stouffer. Kelly was the #1 pick in the NFL draft to KC. He held out and didn't get signed until the next year with Seattle.

Kelly didn't make it as an NFL QB. Cripes, I don't why. He was 6'4", about 240 lbs., and had that something extra that resulted in some of the most exciting comeback wins I've ever been a part of. We called him "big dog" after Elway.

Study BYU's short passing game. If you can be successful with that, and have a decent off line you can run off it. That is what McD is trying to do. It works sometimes. When it doesn't work and you have to go to your power run game it had better be there or you're screwed, ala, the Broncos.

Lonestar
10-25-2010, 02:21 AM
Wishful thinking thread number 282.

I get more amazed everyday at what is being posted her.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

silkamilkamonico
10-25-2010, 02:23 AM
Seriously, have you guys listened to Chucky's calls during the ganes? My 14 year old niece can call at least a competive game plan as Chuckie.

LMAO No. Gruden is known around NFL circles as one of the best play callers in the NFL. I'm not sure what you are talking about with that.

Poet
10-25-2010, 02:23 AM

Why? He never shied away from giving the keys to a coordinator with guts, gusto or whatever term you want to call it.

He loved to run the ball, there's no doubt about it, but that can still work, especially when you couple that with a stifling defense.

You could say that about his situation in TB, or you could say that after Lynch, Sapp left and Brookes, Barber and Rice got old they couldn't do much.

What I really like about Cowher is that he's something like 45-3 when leading in the fourth quarter or something like that. That's ridiculous.

silkamilkamonico
10-25-2010, 02:26 AM
Why? He never shied away from giving the keys to a coordinator with guts, gusto or whatever term you want to call it.

He loved to run the ball, there's no doubt about it, but that can still work, especially when you couple that with a stifling defense.

You could say that about his situation in TB, or you could say that after Lynch, Sapp left and Brookes, Barber and Rice got old they couldn't do much.

What I really like about Cowher is that he's something like 45-3 when leading in the fourth quarter or something like that. That's ridiculous.

It's just boring football to watch. I love winning as much as the next guy, but if I had to watch an entire 16 game season of a power run oriented offense with no creative passing schemes, I would lose football fever and wait for the playoffs every year. With or without Denver.

As far as the TB comparison, Gruden wasn't given any money whatsoever to spend on free agents. TB has been among the NFL lowest in player salaries since the Glazers took over. There was a writeup about how they maintained the NFL minimum salary cap by putting bonuses of 50+ sacks oin players contracts, and other absurd stats that were never going to happen. One of them was 10 blocked kicks in a season or something.

Gruden wasn't given a chance to succed in TB.

CrazyHorse
10-25-2010, 02:42 AM
No coach has ever won a Super Bowl with two different teams.
So basically both of them are worthless.
If I have to pick a coach I would go with Tony Dungy!

Canmore
10-25-2010, 02:49 AM
I would love to see either one of these two at Dove Valley!

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
10-25-2010, 07:59 AM

Unfortunately for him he was severly handicapped in TB, as they put so much debt onto Manchester U that TB was given the bare minimum to spend on players.

Sorry to be pedantic and offtopic but I've amended your qoute for you. Manchester United have not benefitted from one penny/cent from the bucs. They aren't spending money on the bucs because they have no love for the sport, either sport, and they are only interested in how much £$£$£$ they can get from the two clubs.

As you were.

Thnikkaman
10-25-2010, 08:09 AM
I honestly think that I would stop being a fan of Pro Football if Cowher was the head coach of the Broncos. He has no business being a head coach as demonstrated by the product they have in Pittsburgh now. Now if he was a GM, I could get behind that. He has an eye for coaching talent, but not for game planning.

I also must remind you that no coach in the NFL has ever won a championship for 2 teams, and Cowher won't be the first.

SOCALORADO.
10-25-2010, 08:36 AM
I have given a long leash to MCD, and i dont think DEN fires him myself, just with what is going on with the CBA, and it being mid-season, but if DEN did buy out Grudens contract at E!SPN, and bring him in, i wouldnt mind.
Part of the reason i say this, is because Gruden has always loved Tebow.
I think Bowlen will want a coach who is also a true Tebow fan 1st.

Dreadnought
10-25-2010, 08:50 AM
I have given a long leash to MCD, and i dont think DEN fires him myself, just with what is going on with the CBA, and it being mid-season, but if DEN did buy out Grudens contract at E!SPN, and bring him in, i wouldnt mind.
Part of the reason i say this, is because Gruden has always loved Tebow.
I think Bowlen will want a coach who is also a true Tebow fan 1st.

I think there is some sense to this. I'm also not a big Cowher fan; Gruden or Dungy would be good by me. The team might benefit from Dungy's demeanour too, after a couple of years of McDaniels emotional antics.

rcsodak
10-25-2010, 09:13 AM
I'm with Jr. McD is going to keep coaching this team. Just like in the military.....once you break them, they're yours. NOW is when the true test begins.

BigDaddyBronco
10-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Cowher isn't coming here. If he goes anywhere it will be to Carolina where he now lives. Dungy isn't coming back either.

Gruden would come here in a heartbeat, but he would need a good GM to be successful.

When all this mess started with Shanny getting fired, I was hoping we would get Jim Schwartz. He looks like he has the Lions on the right path, of course having 3 top 5 picks in Calvin Johnson, Stafford, and Suh doesn't hurt.

If McD can't turn things around in the next couple of years(this year and next), I really want Bowlen to go out and get a real GM. We need a GM with power that can build a powerful front office, scouting, coaching, etc. I don't know if the Broncos system of getting a HC and putting 90% of the power in his hands works.

BeefStew25
10-25-2010, 09:26 AM
BDB, I need your length and girth now more than ever.

BigDaddyBronco
10-25-2010, 09:37 AM
BDB, I need your length and girth now more than ever.

I had the rope around the rafter and my neck standing on a chair yesterday, luckily I decided football wasn't worth it and came down.

Dzone
10-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Gruden !!!! Cowher is cool too....This team woul be in the playoffs in january 2012

Ravage!!!
10-25-2010, 11:03 AM
I honestly think that I would stop being a fan of Pro Football if Cowher was the head coach of the Broncos. He has no business being a head coach as demonstrated by the product they have in Pittsburgh now. Now if he was a GM, I could get behind that. He has an eye for coaching talent, but not for game planning.

I also must remind you that no coach in the NFL has ever won a championship for 2 teams, and Cowher won't be the first.

Demonstrated by the product they have in Pittsburgh, right now?? You mean the best team in the NFL??? :confused:

Ravage!!!
10-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Cowher isn't coming here. If he goes anywhere it will be to Carolina where he now lives. Dungy isn't coming back either.

Gruden would come here in a heartbeat, but he would need a good GM to be successful.

When all this mess started with Shanny getting fired, I was hoping we would get Jim Schwartz. He looks like he has the Lions on the right path, of course having 3 top 5 picks in Calvin Johnson, Stafford, and Suh doesn't hurt.

If McD can't turn things around in the next couple of years(this year and next), I really want Bowlen to go out and get a real GM. We need a GM with power that can build a powerful front office, scouting, coaching, etc. I don't know if the Broncos system of getting a HC and putting 90% of the power in his hands works.

I hope Dungy doesn't come back. That guy couldn't win a playoff game with the best QB in the game,and one of the best in history for 9 years. Whats he going to do with a guy like Orton and Tebow?? :shocked:

arapaho2
10-25-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm with Jr. McD is going to keep coaching this team. Just like in the military.....once you break them, they're yours. NOW is when the true test begins.

no if your gonna use the military as a analogy...it would be like a ******* captain who tragically ;) gets shot by friendly fire

but sure thats what we need a bunch of broke players just going through the motions until the get traded :lol:

arapaho2
10-25-2010, 11:40 AM

its very clear this team and system is a utter failure...why wait two more seasons of futility before starting the rebuilding process again...

BigDaddyBronco
10-25-2010, 11:44 AM
its very clear this team and system is a utter failure...why wait two more seasons of futility before starting the rebuilding process again...
What if we go 7-2 over the final 9 and make the playoffs? I don't think it's going to happen, but you never know.

Unless the team continues to show that they will not play or perform for McD he will have his job next year. Add in the labor uncertainty and Bowlen being cheap recently and it points to another year. "Or two" was added due to the possibility of having no season next year.

So unless we see this disaster continue, he'll be back.

Shazam!
10-25-2010, 11:49 AM
I liked the idea someone posted of bringing in both Shottenheimers. That I'd go for.

I don't just want any assistant. We need proven commodity, either on the sidelines or upstairs.

All I know is after this humiliating, embarassing defeat, something must be done.

The list of top coaches available is very short right now.

I'd be fine with Gruden cause he'd wanna beat the pants off the Raiders and the rest of the division, but I'd rather have Cowher. His physical, hard style and knack for defense is exactly what Denver needs.

Sorry Josh. I gave you more than a fair chance. But after yesterday, you have failed all of us. The fans, management, and the entire organization. You embarassed us.

TimBuff10
10-25-2010, 11:51 AM

You do realize that winning is good and that is what the goal is right?

arapaho2
10-25-2010, 11:55 AM
What if we go 7-2 over the final 9 and make the playoffs? I don't think it's going to happen, but you never know.

Unless the team continues to show that they will not play or perform for McD he will have his job next year. Add in the labor uncertainty and Bowlen being cheap recently and it points to another year. "Or two" was added due to the possibility of having no season next year.

and if we dont?..what then..we cant beat the raiders at our house...can we beat the chiefs when they are much better than the raiders on both sides...can we beat the bolts?...give rivers time and he will shredd us...we already know wink cant devise a way to get pressure
do you honestly think after watching the team ...that we can pull out the season...take of the goggles...we suck...plain and simple

look at every rookie coach that came in last year...every single one has turned their team around and lookin forward...and the bronco job was the most desireble because of the young offense...

the new coach of the broncos was in the best position of any new coach to succeed

instead we are getting worse...it clearly isnt working...time to move on

SOCALORADO.
10-25-2010, 12:16 PM
I liked the idea someone posted of bringing in both Shottenheimers. That I'd go for.

I don't just want any assistant. We need proven commodity, either on the sidelines or upstairs.

All I know is after this humiliating, embarassing defeat, something must be done.

The list of top coaches available is very short right now.

I'd be fine with Gruden cause he'd wanna beat the pants off the Raiders and the rest of the division, but I'd rather have Cowher. His physical, hard style and knack for defense is exactly what Denver needs.

Sorry Josh. I gave you more than a fair chance. But after yesterday, you have failed all of us. The fans, management, and the entire organization. You embarassed us.

Heres my problem today. and its getting highlighted all day by every loser fader fan i see today.
Suddenly the fade are goin to the SB.
I just dont think after yesterdays game, and the way the players continued to just show absolutely no effort that this is not totally on MCD.
Look i didnt think DEn was goin to the playoffs anyway, but jeez to go down like this is unacceptable.

Shazam!
10-25-2010, 12:26 PM
8-8 would be a fabulous finish right now.

Thnikkaman
10-25-2010, 12:41 PM
You do realize that winning is good and that is what the goal is right?

Yes. That is why I am against Cowher. His one Superbowl ring should be credited to Tomlin. Cowher is a worse judge of talent than Al Davis. Just look at Slash. You remember slash if you are a Buffs fan. I'd take Gruden, but I don't think he can take another team to a Superbowl either.

arapaho2
10-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Yes. That is why I am against Cowher. His one Superbowl ring should be credited to Tomlin. Cowher is a worse judge of talent than Al Davis. Just look at Slash. You remember slash if you are a Buffs fan. I'd take Gruden, but I don't think he can take another team to a Superbowl either.

why would cowhers ring be credited to tomlin?...he came from the vikings to hc of the steelers...he was coaching as dbs coach for tampa when cowher won his

Slick
10-25-2010, 12:54 PM

That would be a huge mistake unless your initial scenario took place. Screw 7-2, show me some improvement at the very least.

It seems like we're worse in the redzone, way worse running the football, worse on defense, passing game is a wash compared to the old QB and coach.

I don't see how Bowlen could let this situation fester during a work stoppage.

My humblest of opinions...Josh shortened his leash yesterday. If he doesn't get this team pointed in the right direction this year, he's done here.

This team has regressed since he took over. We had a nice start last year and shit since. The middle of year 2 we should be seeing signs of improvement, signs of players buying into the system, not ass whippings like that. **** me.

rcsodak
10-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I Wonder if the SB champs are callinf for a new HC after losing to the lowly Browns? The ravens fans for their team to give up 30+ to the winless and pathetic Bills?

Or if its just the Broncos fans that jump on/off the bandwagon on a weekly basis. (rhetorical....I already know the answer). :tsk:

Lancane
10-25-2010, 12:58 PM
The likeliest choice is Gruden, he knows the conference from his stint with the faid, he knows how to field a winning team and he loves Tebow and thinks the kid has the upside to play in any pro-style offense. He made winners out of two mediocre teams and took both to the top, I would say that Gruden is the obvious best bet.

arapaho2
10-25-2010, 01:01 PM
I Wonder if the SB champs are callinf for a new HC after losing to the lowly Browns? The ravens fans for their team to give up 30+ to the winless and pathetic Bills?

Or if its just the Broncos fans that jump on/off the bandwagon on a weekly basis. (rhetorical....I already know the answer). :tsk:

why would they..thier head coach took over a medicre team and took them to the superbowl in two seasons....ours took us to getting an epic beat down and a 10-13 record

Slick
10-25-2010, 01:11 PM

Completely different scenarios RC, and the fact that some fans can be so lackadaisical, like some of the players yesterday, boggles the mind.

We lost 59-14 at home to the Raiders, a 2-4 football team at the time. How much worse does it have to get?

Thnikkaman
10-25-2010, 01:36 PM
why would cowhers ring be credited to tomlin?...he came from the vikings to hc of the steelers...he was coaching as dbs coach for tampa when cowher won his

You are right. I don't know where I got it in my head that Tomlin was Cowher's defensive coordinator before he took the HC job.

Doesn't change my dislike for Cowher however.

BigSarge87
10-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Didn't Gruden take the Bucs to the Superbowl the year after Dungy was fired? They pretty much went to shit after that didn't they? I'm just sayin, it was Dungy's Bucs that went to the big game, not Grudens. Different points of view, I guess.

He's fun to watch but I don't remember Gruden being real successful anywhere he's been.

I didn't do the research on this, just trying to remember. Feel free to correct me. Not that anyone would need permission on this board. :)

Dreadnought
10-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Didn't Gruden take the Bucs to the Superbowl the year after Dungy was fired? They pretty much went to shit after that didn't they? I'm just sayin, it was Dungy's Bucs that went to the big game, not Grudens. Different points of view, I guess.

He's fun to watch but I don't remember Gruden being real successful anywhere he's been.

I didn't do the research on this, just trying to remember. Feel free to correct me. Not that anyone would need permission on this board. :)

Thats a fair point regarding TB, but he built the team he faced in that Superbowl into a pretty good operation. Bill Callahan was leading what was in effect Chucky's team in the way Chucky was leading Dungy's

BigSarge87
10-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Thats a fair point regarding TB, but he built the team he faced in that Superbowl into a pretty good operation. Bill Callahan was leading what was in effect Chucky's team in the way Chucky was leading Gruden's

True, but I bet Grudent didn't have much to do with personnel decisions in Oakland either.

However, I did just look it up and didn't realize he was so successful in Oakland. Rock on.

I still like the idea of brining in the Shotinsidehers. Not sure on that spelling.

O-ManePunisher
10-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Cowher pretty please save this team

Dzone
10-26-2010, 12:15 AM
People are losing faith in mcdaniels. His actions, words and attitude are a complete turn off, especially when he is a loser as a coach.. People are finally waking up.

I liked Gruden in his quarterback series on espn. He liked Tim Tebow. Not sure what Cowher has said about Tebow

Ziggy
10-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Gruden or Cowher? Whoever Bill Parcell's hires.

Italianmobstr7
10-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Neither. I want to keep McD

Dzone
10-26-2010, 12:27 AM
things could be worse. we could have wade phillips as coach...now thats a disaster in dallas

JDL
10-26-2010, 02:29 AM
Meanwhile, Spags has Stl looking respectable (an absolute miracle on so many levels as that team was a total train wreck when he got there) and Morris in Tampa Bay is freaking 4-2.

Meanwhile... we chose McDaniels.....more specifically Brian Xanders wanted him and has been his lap dog ever since. Jim Goodman wanted to keep Jeremy Bates and most of the offensive staff in the fold.

I want to see a return to dominating defensive football in Denver... sadly it is rising in fierce form in KC and they will be quite a defensive force in the coming years... it means we need to get far more physical.... but I would be scared of bringing in a defensive-minded coach when we do have good young pieces at WR and LT and possibly QB if someone can be brought in to give Tebow a chance.... perhaps a Jeff Fisher, Mike Heimerdinger type. But, I at this point am positive McD isn't the answer... he's a Mike Martz type OC, but he has no business running an organization... or anything more than a passing attack. (I don't get why anyone here thought we would be good running the ball ... the Pats have always struggled in that area.)

I just want to see us trade for someone like Jonathan Stewart, get a good OL coach in... and really start working on a physical dominating rushing attack like NYJ have.

DenBronx
12-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Meanwhile, Spags has Stl looking respectable (an absolute miracle on so many levels as that team was a total train wreck when he got there) and Morris in Tampa Bay is freaking 4-2.

Meanwhile... we chose McDaniels.....more specifically Brian Xanders wanted him and has been his lap dog ever since. Jim Goodman wanted to keep Jeremy Bates and most of the offensive staff in the fold.

I want to see a return to dominating defensive football in Denver... sadly it is rising in fierce form in KC and they will be quite a defensive force in the coming years... it means we need to get far more physical.... but I would be scared of bringing in a defensive-minded coach when we do have good young pieces at WR and LT and possibly QB if someone can be brought in to give Tebow a chance.... perhaps a Jeff Fisher, Mike Heimerdinger type. But, I at this point am positive McD isn't the answer... he's a Mike Martz type OC, but he has no business running an organization... or anything more than a passing attack. (I don't get why anyone here thought we would be good running the ball ... the Pats have always struggled in that area.)

I just want to see us trade for someone like Jonathan Stewart, get a good OL coach in... and really start working on a physical dominating rushing attack like NYJ have.

Maybe he should have been open to keeping Bates and Nolan. McD took over a 2nd rated offense and you would think if he had any smarts at all he would have kept some of the good talent/coaches and built on that! Sure it's ok to change things to your liking but don't do it at the cost of getting rid of anything good in our organization!

Then Nolan helps us go from nearly worst to 9th rated defense in 1 year!

Could you imagine the 2nd ranked O with the 9th ranked D??? Maybe the D fizzled down the stretch but our offense was pretty eniemic at times and could have help our D out by keeping drives alive.

We could have been in the playoffs this year but are now enjoying a top 5 pick. Something I don't recall us having for a very long time.

JONtheBRONCO
12-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Gruden - 57-55 in his 7 seasons as the Bucs coach
- 3 playoff appearances
- 1 Superbowl appearance/1 Superbowl win (year after Dungy was fired)
- 2 wild card losses
- 9-7(most recent), 9-7, 4-12 in his last 3 seasons

Bill Cowher - 149-90-1 in 15 seasons with the Steelers
- 10 playoff appearances
- 2 Superbowl appearances/1 Superbowl Win
- 5 AFC Championship games (including Superbowl)
- 1 wild card loss
- 8-8(most recent), 11-5, 15-1 in his last three seasons

I'll take the scoreboard over the personality any day. I would say the possibility of either Cowher or Gruden being candidates (considered candidates... on both ends) is slim to none.

DenBronx
12-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Gruden - 57-55 in his 7 seasons as the Bucs coach
- 3 playoff appearances
- 1 Superbowl appearance/1 Superbowl win (year after Dungy was fired)
- 2 wild card losses
- 9-7(most recent), 9-7, 4-12 in his last 3 seasons

Bill Cowher - 149-90-1 in 15 seasons with the Steelers
- 10 playoff appearances
- 2 Superbowl appearances/1 Superbowl Win
- 5 AFC Championship games (including Superbowl)
- 1 wild card loss
- 8-8(most recent), 11-5, 15-1 in his last three seasons

I'll take the scoreboard over the personality any day. I would say the possibility of either Cowher or Gruden being candidates (considered candidates... on both ends) is slim to none.

You have a very valid point. I just don't think Cowher will come to Denver nor will Bowlen entertain the thought of paying him 7+ mill a year.

Would be a pipedream though if he somehow landed here.

Nomad
12-09-2010, 07:26 AM
You have a very valid point. I just don't think Cowher will come to Denver nor will Bowlen entertain the thought of paying him 7+ mill a year.

Would be a pipedream though if he somehow landed here.

Neither will land here because they want total control and plenty of $$$$$$$$$$!

BroncoStud
12-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Grduen. Cowher took a LONG time to win a Super Bowl, Gruden did it without a franchise QB.

chazoe60
12-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Grduen. Cowher took a LONG time to win a Super Bowl, Gruden did it without a franchise QB.

Cowher didn't even truly win that SB. Anyone who is not a Steelers fan and watched that game knows the Seahawks won that game. It was pitiful

SOCALORADO.
12-09-2010, 10:49 AM

Gruden was having huge success in OAK without a franchise QB there as well!! I think his name was Cannon or Bannan or Mannin....no, wait...it'll come to me.....anyways, they seemed to always be in the playoffs.
Just sayin..