PDA

View Full Version : A little perspective

rationalfan
10-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Today's game was terrible. Horrible. The worst loss since ... December 2008 when San Diego beat up the Broncos to the tune of 52-21.

Hey, I'm not saying McD is the answer (after today, anyone who doesn't doubt McD's ability to prepare the players should be questioned as a sane individual). But the Broncos didn't get bad during his watch. They've been bad for a while.

I just didn't realize it until today. And though I'm not psychic and don't know anyone who posts here on a personal level, I'm thinking a lot of you are realizing the same thing.

The most striking image from today's game was in the fourth quarter when Brandon Lloyd and somebody else were on the bench laughing about things. I didn't understand how they could react that way. I do now. The Broncos don't have a culture of winning anymore.

And moreso than changing the players or the coach, the Broncos need to change that mindset that's content to lose. If they don't this team won't win regardless of who's playing or coaching or presiding in the owner's box.

My thoughts. Flame on.

Northman
10-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Yea, we've gone from a .500 team to a cellar dwellar. But, McD was brought in to change all of that which you mentioned. Now, as some of you are finding out he isnt the answer that some thought he was.

horsepig
10-24-2010, 10:33 PM
The game just is not what it used to be. I'm about to throw in the towel on this bunch.

Has anyone on this board actually watched the Chefs play this year? Those guys remind me of the Orange Crush. They're flying around the field like wildmen on defense and they've got the best young running backs in the NFL.

After today I'm gonna root for the Godamned Chefs, until Denver decides to actually put together a football team.

On the other hand I guess we could be looking at some very high picks next draft.

#1- another undersized, kinda slow TB
#2- A MikeLB/with a totally blownout knee
#3- an undersized,slow, unmotivated defensive end/SLB
#4- a very slow, slow witted TE that hasn't caught a pass in his college career
#5- a very average LG that will not be able to beat out Russ Hochstein
#6- (laughing too hard to hardly type) A long snapper

KCL
10-24-2010, 10:37 PM
The game just is not what it used to be. I'm about to throw in the towel on this bunch.

Has anyone on this board actually watched the Chefs play this year? Those guys remind me of the Orange Crush. They're flying around the field like wildmen on defense and they've got the best young running backs in the NFL.

After today I'm gonna root for the Godamned Chefs, until Denver decides to actually put together a football team.

wow..really gonna root for my Chiefs? ;) Now you all know how I have felt the last couple of seasons BUT I have NEVER quit cheering my Chiefs on...have been disgusted as hell..but I will ALWAYS be a Chiefs fan.

horsepig they are playing some good ball.

TXBRONC
10-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Today's game was terrible. Horrible. The worst loss since ... December 2008 when San Diego beat up the Broncos to the tune of 52-21.

Hey, I'm not saying McD is the answer (after today, anyone who doesn't doubt McD's ability to prepare the players should be questioned as a sane individual). But the Broncos didn't get bad during his watch. They've been bad for a while.

I just didn't realize it until today. And though I'm not psychic and don't know anyone who posts here on a personal level, I'm thinking a lot of you are realizing the same thing.

The most striking image from today's game was in the fourth quarter when Brandon Lloyd and somebody else were on the bench laughing about things. I didn't understand how they could react that way. I do now. The Broncos don't have a culture of winning anymore.

And moreso than changing the players or the coach, the Broncos need to change that mindset that's content to lose. If they don't this team won't win regardless of who's playing or coaching or presiding in the owner's box.

My thoughts. Flame on.

No flaming here. It looking to me like we've regressed.

PAINTERDAVE
10-24-2010, 10:39 PM
It is one game.

Soon it will be Tebow Time.

Rebuilding.

Then the lockout.

Just gotta hunker down and take what comes.

Once we accept that it is a throwaway season...
and that it is Tebow's learning time...
the pressure will go away.

We can become spoilers.

Any one who loses to us from now on is to be embarrassed.

This, too, shall pass.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-24-2010, 10:40 PM

My thoughts. Flame on.

Sure they are laughing, they get paid regardless of the shit product they serve up for the fans. 3/4 of this team are mercenaries. They have no love for, and no loyalty to this team. It's McDaniels' job to instill those values but obviously it's just not happening. McDaniels wasn't even alive when the Broncos went to their first Superbowl. Most of the guys on the bench out there were still in grade school when we won our 2 Superbowls. They have no sense of loyalty, pride, or heritage. They play for that next contract and hopefully if they don't have to work too hard for a shot at a championship. I find it hysterical that a guy like Tony Scheffler would be traded for wishing the season would end out loud, but the current roster (of McDaniels' boot-lickers) can joke and laugh while we get embarrassed by our opponents at home. I'm a Broncos fan talking, but if I saw that shit, I'd make them sit the next game and allow them to re-evaluate their place on this team and in this organization and God-Forbid they were wearing a "C" on their jersey they'd be stripped of that letter and get at least a 2 game sit down.

This loss is much worse than the 52-21 drubbing at the hands of the Playoff Bound Chargers who were a much more talented team than we were at the time. This 59-14 embarrassment is against a team that hasn't had a winning record in almost a decade. A team that changes coaches and QBs like most people change underwear. A team with an almost Down's Syndrome level of intelligence at head coach and a "Managing Partner" (Contrary to popular belief, Al Davis doesn't own the Raiders) that football passed by 2 decades ago.

We were crushed at home by one of the worst teams in the league. A team that we all hate by far (well, if you've been a Bronco fan for longer than a few years) above all the other teams in our division. These are our arch-enemies. Why should the players care? At this point, the only reason I think McDaniels cares is because he might be fired at season's end. Not that getting fired is a bad thing for him because he gets paid money for nothing, but i don't think his ego could take it.

Northman
10-24-2010, 10:40 PM
It is one game.

Rebuilding.

Then the lockout.

We can become spoilers.

This, too, shall pass.

So, your basically throwing in the towel?

Ravage!!!
10-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Tony Dungy wasn't allowed to simply lose and lose in KC, and he took over a LOSING team.

Norv Turner, hasn't been losing, yet his job is in HUGE jeaopardy right now.

Marty, when in KC, was cut after just his FIRST losing season.

So its not hard to see and understand that a team that goes 4-13 with a descending pattern of play..has a coach who's job isn't the "most secure."

is it guaranteed that he loses his job after this loss... no. But lets be realistic that Bowlen's eyes just got a LOT wider......just as the eyes of the fan's have.

KCL
10-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Denver's collapse started with the last game of last season when KC came to town and laid them out...I'm serious.
and ironic enough it's when the Chiefs started turning things around.

Northman
10-24-2010, 10:44 PM
As already pointed out. If Houston fails to make the playoffs this year i would be willing to bet that Kubes will be gone.

Northman
10-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Denver's collapse started with the last game of last season when KC came to town and laid them out...I'm serious.

BS!

It started when Stay Puff drove down on us for the winning drive the week before. Charles just put the nail in the coffin. :lol:

HORSEPOWER 56
10-24-2010, 10:47 PM
and ironic enough it's when the Chiefs started turning things around.

No girl, it started when the Baltimore Ravens exposed the Broncos paper tiger offense for what it was after the bye week last year. They laid out the blueprint for other teams to follow and so far it's worked. We haven't been the same since. 4-13 and counting.

KCL
10-24-2010, 10:47 PM
BS!

It started when Stay Puff drove down on us for the winning drive the week before. Charles just put the nail in the coffin. :lol:

I was trying to soften it up a bit for you guys after what happened today..:lol:

Ravage!!!
10-24-2010, 10:48 PM
As already pointed out. If Houston fails to make the playoffs this year i would be willing to bet that Kubes will be gone.

I agree, and rightfully so. How long has Kubes been there now?

Northman
10-24-2010, 10:49 PM
I was trying to soften it up a bit for you guys after what happened today..:lol:

Good luck with that. Im still in disbelief that we allowed Oakland of all teams to score 59 on us. Thats just....i cant even put it into words.

Northman
10-24-2010, 10:50 PM
I agree, and rightfully so. How long has Kubes been there now?

At least 4-5 years.

TXBRONC
10-24-2010, 10:51 PM
It is one game.

Rebuilding.

Then the lockout.

We can become spoilers.

This, too, shall pass.

Geez Dave this really doesn't make me feel any better. :lol:

KCL
10-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Good luck with that. Im still in disbelief that we allowed Oakland of all teams to score 59 on us. Thats just....i cant even put it into words.

I know...that was one hell of a beat down..we got the SD/Pats game here...hubby and I wanted to watch the Denver/Oak game...wasn't seeing any scores so I got on NFL.com and about shit when there was a little over 4 minutes to go in the first qtr and Oak was ahead 21-0...damn....:lol:

I can't help but laugh...they got Denver good and at home too...I know that feeling...trust me...that's why I'm laughing.

horsepig
10-24-2010, 11:05 PM
wow..really gonna root for my Chiefs? ;) Now you all know how I have felt the last couple of seasons BUT I have NEVER quit cheering my Chiefs on...have been disgusted as hell..but I will ALWAYS be a Chiefs fan.

horsepig they are playing some good ball.

Hell yeah KCL! I'll keep rooting for my boys, but it's starting to get a little stale, and I've been a Bronco fan for 45 years. Heck, I can remember Hank Stram trying to explain to the Denver media why the Chiefs went for an onside kick with 45 seconds left, in Denver, leading 49-7. Hank said they were just trying to practice their onside kick game.

Those KC teams were probably the best around at that time. They lost to GB and Vince Lombardi in the 2'nd SB, but they had the better team.

A lot of history with me and the Broncos and I guess I'll just have to learn to live like a Browns fan, rooting for a once proud franchise now reduced to the laughing stock of the entire NFL. No wonder the MSM ignores us.

KCL
10-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Hell yeah KCL! I'll keep rooting for my boys, but it's starting to get a little stale, and I've been a Bronco fan for 45 years. Heck, I can remember Hank Stram trying to explain to the Denver media why the Chiefs went for an onside kick with 45 seconds left, in Denver, leading 49-7. Hank said they were just trying to practice their onside kick game.

Those KC teams were probably the best around at that time. They lost to GB and Vince Lombardi in the 2'nd SB, but they had the better team.

A lot of history with me and the Broncos and I guess I'll just have to learn to live like a Browns fan, rooting for a once proud franchise now reduced to the laughing stock of the entire NFL. No wonder the MSM ignores us.

I have watched film on Hank Stram and some play he came up with..him and Lamar Hunt were great together..I was just a kid when the Chiefs played in those 2 SBs...too little to be interested in football but I have watched some film and heard of some of the players we had that played with Lenny Dawson..Bobby Bell,Willie Lanier just to name a couple..they were some bad ass players from what I understand...I know you read what I wrote in the other thread about when I started watching football...my husband and his dad had season tickets way back when the Chiefs had their SB runs...I love football.

Guys it will get better but I don't have to tell you that...you already know it..it'll take time..trust me I know...I am thrilled to have a 4-2 record but I also know how quickly things can turn around.

PAINTERDAVE
10-24-2010, 11:20 PM
So, your basically throwing in the towel?

I think the players on the field today were the ones that threw in the towel.

Northman
10-24-2010, 11:23 PM

Well, my point was that although we do have 5 losses that really doesnt put us out of the playoff hunt, yet. Is it unlikely? Yea. But anything is possible especially in this league.

KCL
10-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Well, my point was that although we do have 5 losses that really doesnt put us out of the playoff hunt, yet. Is it unlikely? Yea. But anything is possible especially in this league.

in this league? hell in this division...:laugh:

horsepig
10-24-2010, 11:36 PM
I have watched film on Hank Stram and some play he came up with..him and Lamar Hunt were great together..I was just a kid when the Chiefs played in those 2 SBs...too little to be interested in football but I have watched some film and heard of some of the players we had that played with Lenny Dawson..Bobby Bell,Willie Lanier just to name a couple..they were some bad ass players from what I understand...I know you read what I wrote in the other thread about when I started watching football...my husband and his dad had season tickets way back when the Chiefs had their SB runs...I love football.

Guys it will get better but I don't have to tell you that...you already know it..it'll take time..trust me I know...I am thrilled to have a 4-2 record but I also know how quickly things can turn around.

Don"t forget Mike Garrett, RB. Tell your old man and Pop to come on and we can talk some old AFL stuff.

KCL
10-24-2010, 11:41 PM
Don"t forget Mike Garrett, RB. Tell your old man and Pop to come on and we can talk some old AFL stuff.

My husband was just a kid and belonged to the Wolf Pack..some club the Chiefs had for kids back then and they played at the old stadium they shared with the A's and then the Royals which has since been demolished.

horsepig
10-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Those were the days, Christ, I sound like an old fart, but the Broncos used to play in "Bears" stadium, a triple a farm club.

KCL
10-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Those were the days, Christ, I sound like an old fart, but the Broncos used to play in "Bears" stadium, a triple a farm club.

I have a thread in the other NFL Teams forums about the NFL stadiums...check it out if you haven't already...pretty cool.

Cugel
10-24-2010, 11:48 PM
It is one game.

Rebuilding.

Then the lockout.

We can become spoilers.

This, too, shall pass.

You know, I can't even wrap my mind around the possibility that the Broncos might win about 4 games this season --- and then there won't even BE a next season, so it will be until 2012 before they take the field again?

By that point I probably will be so disgusted that I'll just forget about football altogether. I seriously think that if that happened it would break the spirit of Broncos football in Denver forever.

If the idiot owners lock out the players and destroy the season, they can kiss this franchise goodbye. Fan enthusiasm in Denver just isn't what it once was (even back during the bad old days)!

Personally, I'm betting the players will fold and the season will be saved, but if they don't and the owners precipitate a lost season, that would be just another disaster piled on top of crap. :coffee:

horsepig
10-25-2010, 12:12 AM
Cugel, you make some good and true points. Remember the last baseball strike? It almost killed MLB, it has taken 10 + years for them to recover from that.

Then we had the NFL "players strike" and the teams played on with scabs.
When the players came back, we were all real happy and could of cared less what happened in their negotiations.

The NHL had their day too. It almost killed that league. Their ratings are still in thre shitter and the franchises are scrambling to keep good players and make do with arena sales.

If the NFL locksout the pklayers, or the players go on strike, whats the big diff, many young fans are going to say, wtf, there's other faster moving shit out there.

Then the NFL will be left with us old fart fans that don't particularly care for all the "you can't even look bad at the QB" shit.

You can't tackle a runner when he's 11/2 yds in bounds? Can a "mike" LB even play in the NFL anymore?

Hit somebody like a ****** sledge hammer-flag!

jhildebrand
10-25-2010, 12:16 AM

My thoughts. Flame on.

That's cute and all but you are what your record says you are and that is a direct reflection of the HC!

horsepig
10-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Aren't we sposed to have "team" guys?

I mean everywhere, O-Line, D-Line, RBs. etc...

Just payed mercenaries. The question is; how do the Steelers keep it up, the Eagles, the Pats?

Bosco
10-25-2010, 01:07 AM

My thoughts. Flame on.

This isn't a phenomenon that is exclusive to the Broncos. It's pretty much a league wide thing. Frankly, this is a job to 90% of the players. We take losses much more personally than they do.

bcbronc
10-25-2010, 02:53 AM
on one hand, a loss is a loss is a loss, whether 10-9 or...but yeah...giving up 59 points to the Raiders sucks ******* ass.

on the other hand, the pits are what make peaches taste so sweet. can't have mountains without valleys, yadda yadda yadda.

bottom line: it really is just a game. the emotional roller coast us fans go on isn't just part of the game; it's the whole damn thing. ya, days like today suck ass and we all get mad and throw things and our wives roll their eyes at us and leave us be to wallow in shame and self pity. but end of the day, it's just a football game and really nothing important in the big picture.

as sadistic as it sounds, getting your nuts kicked through your ears is part of why we're all fanatics for a sports team. yeah, it's better being on the other side of games like this, no doubt. but it's EVEN better being on the other side AFTER you've been on this side.

Canmore
10-25-2010, 02:59 AM
on one hand, a loss is a loss is a loss, whether 10-9 or...but yeah...giving up 59 points to the Raiders sucks ******* ass.

on the other hand, the pits are what make peaches taste so sweet. can't have mountains without valleys, yadda yadda yadda.

bottom line: it really is just a game. the emotional roller coast us fans go on isn't just part of the game; it's the whole damn thing. ya, days like today suck ass and we all get mad and throw things and our wives roll their eyes at us and leave us be to wallow in shame and self pity. but end of the day, it's just a football game and really nothing important in the big picture.

as sadistic as it sounds, getting your nuts kicked through your ears is part of why we're all fanatics for a sports team. yeah, it's better being on the other side of games like this, no doubt. but it's EVEN better being on the other side AFTER you've been on this side.

After following the Broncos for forty years I don't want to ever be on this side again.

Lonestar
10-25-2010, 10:56 AM
At least 4-5 years.

Kubes went there the year jay was drafted 2006

After Jakes great year.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

topscribe
10-25-2010, 11:01 AM

On the other hand I guess we could be looking at some very high picks next draft.

#1- another undersized, kinda slow TB
#2- A MikeLB/with a totally blownout knee
#3- an undersized,slow, unmotivated defensive end/SLB
#4- a very slow, slow witted TE that hasn't caught a pass in his college career
#5- a very average LG that will not be able to beat out Russ Hochstein
#6- (laughing too hard to hardly type) A long snapper

As I have said many times before, I endured 14 years of losing seasons with
the Broncos, yet I never rooted for another team (except for the Packers,
apart and secondary to the Broncos). Now, I did say in another thread that
I didn't think there were many fair weather fans on this board, but this surely
smacks of it . . .

-----

Lonestar
10-25-2010, 11:10 AM

I guess I saw a different game than Y'all did. I did not see anyone giving up.

I did see a lot of great plays by the faiders and a lot of poor tackling.

But not once did I see anyone that was not trying to turn it around.
Big difference in getting beat up in a fight than laying down to be pummeled.

Atleast that is how I saw it they got the MO, and and we failed to get it back but for a brief spurt and then keep it

Let's see what player moves are made during the bye week.

Lonestar
10-25-2010, 11:18 AM

Until we won the super bowls we were never on the other side.

But as we all know now it was short lived.

Now we are angry because a newbie did not instanly turn us into a super bowl winner in the 23 games he has been in town.

Now that I have said that I feel better.

Lonestar
10-25-2010, 11:22 AM
As I have said many times before, I endured 14 years of losing seasons with
the Broncos, yet I never rooted for another team (except for the Packers,
apart and secondary to the Broncos). Now, I did say in another thread that
I didn't think there were many fair weather fans on this board, but this surely
smacks of it . . .

-----

Once again it is you and me against the world.

Nobody last year wanted to beleive Orton was anything but a noodle armed QB.

We all know different know don't we.

G_Money
10-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Nobody in this league gives up 8 TDs in 3 quarters without quitting, Jr. It's not like they were all pick-6s or something.

Cutler threw 4 picks and fumbled and his team still lost by just 3. The Bears offense might be in ruins but their defense was still trying their hearts out.

We left our hearts in the locker room. 328 yards on the ground? You've been saying the trenches are where the battles are won and lost. Trenches are about guts and will as much as they are size and technique. We got ROLLED.

And we rolled over. You don't tip your cap after a game like that because it wasn't that they played perfectly, it's that we made sure we were never going to challenge in this game and we invited them to walk all over us for 4 quarters.

They only needed half of one to win - the rest of the game was just to prove the point that we weren't up to being punched in the mouth. Curling in the fetal position as the blows rain down is not getting beat up in a fight.

It's just getting beat up.

~G

T.K.O.
10-25-2010, 11:30 AM
it's been hard enough to win with no running game in the close ones.
but once the raiders got the early lead there was no way to climb back in the game.
the defense knew we had to pass and that pretty much made their work easy.
with DT's fumble it sealed the broncos fate.
i will not give up on the team...i will say they looked completely out of synch.
but the biggest problem was and has been the lack of any rushing attack.
you just dont win without balance.
:salute:

Bronco Bible
10-25-2010, 11:34 AM

what is worse is that they had to call off the dogs:mad:

Northman
10-25-2010, 11:35 AM
what is worse is that they had to call off the dogs:mad:

Yea, if i was Cable i would of strived for 70. We couldnt stop them at all.

topscribe
10-25-2010, 11:51 AM
It looks to me like shattered morale and mental exhaustion. The Broncos threw
everything at the Jets, including the kitchen sink. That seemed, in their minds,
the crossroads to the season to them, the game that was going to start their
trek to a championship.

They were so bound up in the first half that they made a barrel full of mistakes,
the kind that smacks of nervousness and tension. When they finally settled
down in the second half, they thoroughly outplayed the opponent in just about
every category - in fact, but for the mistakes, they outplayed them over the
entire game.

They had the game won. And then the damnedest twist of fortune struck - a
"hail Mary" prayer by the opposing QB in a 4th and 6 turned into a first and goal
at the one-yard line. After the Broncos gave everything they had - and were
mentally celebrating their win - the whole thing swirled down a vicious eddy in
one play.

So, during the Oakland game, the color announcer suggested that the Broncos
looked flat, sluggish, and slow. Should it have been any surprise? The loss to
the Jets was devastating - probably moreso than even the one that took
place this last Sunday.

And then we get reports that McDaniels rode them hard this last week
because of that loss to the Jets. Huh? Were that so, then he probably was
among a tiny minority in the entire fanbase who was not damned proud of
that team at that point.

So we have mental exhaustion and depression from the Jets game and
shattered morale from the possible treatment from McDaniels.

Should anything that happened Sunday been a surprise?

-----

Bosco
10-25-2010, 11:56 AM
everything at the Jets, including the kitchen sink. That seemed, in their minds,
trek to a championship.

They were so bound up in the first half that they made a barrel full of mistakes,
entire game.

"hail Mary" prayer by the opposing QB in a 4th and 6 turned into a first and goal
one play.

place this last Sunday.

that team at that point.

-----

Good post.

Northman
10-25-2010, 12:25 PM
trek to a championship.

entire game.

one play.

place this last Sunday.

that team at that point.

-----

If the team is getting depressed after playing a much better team in the Jets hard than we need to hire the drill instructor from the Geico commerical/Full Metal Jacket to help them out. Maybe he can help them skip to mamby pamby land. Losing to Oakland yesterday wouldnt of been a surprise, at all. Losing the way we did is TOTALLY a surprise.

G_Money
10-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Right. I agree with top's description of the Jets game and the potential hangover that followed.

But the West was still ours for the taking. 2 games against the division leading Chiefs, 2 against the lowly Raiders, SF coming up...we were still writing our own destiny. We had everything to play for in the Raiders game.

And we couldn't get out of the gate. Not only were we not inspired by taking a top AFC team to the wire and showing we could play with them step for step, we let the hangover from that game lead to us getting absolutely demolished in a game we knew we had to win against an opponent we should definitely have beaten.

That's the fault. Not the chance for a letdown or a trap game, but the inexcusable way we played and coached that game.

~G

Northman
10-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Rigth. I agree with top's description of the Jets game and the potential hangover that followed.

But the West was still ours for the taking. 2 games against the division leading Chiefs, 2 against the lowly Raiders, SF coming up...we were still writing our own destiny. We had everything to play for in the Raiders game.

And we couldn't get out of the gate. Not only were we not inspired by taking a top AFC team to the wire and showing we could play with them step for step, we let the hangover from that game lead to us getting absolutely demolished in a game we knew we had to win against an opponent we should definitely have beaten.

That's the fault. Not the chance for a letdown or a trap game, but the inexcusable way we played and coached that game.

~G

Whats worse is this didnt even happen at Oakland. We pulled this in our own house. Homefield use to mean so much to Denver.

topscribe
10-25-2010, 12:44 PM
If the team is getting depressed after playing a much better team in the Jets hard than we need to hire the drill instructor from the Geico commerical/Full Metal Jacket to help them out. Maybe he can help them skip to mamby pamby land. Losing to Oakland yesterday wouldnt of been a surprise, at all. Losing the way we did is TOTALLY a surprise.

That seems so easy to us, as we sit in front of our computers, hammering out
the characters that express our sometimes inane thoughts (at least, that seems
to describe some of my thoughts). It becomes much harder when it is happening
to you. A psychological malaise can turn into a maze, and its victim does not
know which way to turn. That is why we have psychologists, ministers, and
other counselors in this society.

And mental condition can become so severe that it can lead to physical
incapacity. No matter how much you consciously force yourself to perform at
the peak of your ability, an underlying state of depression and/or mental
exhaustion can effectively override that, and there is nothing you can do
about it at the moment.

Actually, I was worried about that after the Jets game last week, despite my
sabre-rattling prediction of a rout (with the Broncos on top), because I know
about those things. And my fears obviously came to fruition . . .

-----

Northman
10-25-2010, 12:55 PM
That seems so easy to us, as we sit in front of our computers, hammering out
the characters that express our sometimes inane thoughts (at least, that seems
to describe some of my thoughts). It becomes much harder when it is happening
to you. A psychological malaise can turn into a maze, and its victim does not
know which way to turn. That is why we have psychologists, ministers, and
other counselors in this society.

And mental condition can become so severe that it can lead to physical
incapacity. No matter how much you consciously force yourself to perform at
the peak of your ability, an underlying state of depression and/or mental
exhaustion can effectively override that, and there is nothing you can do
about it at the moment.

Actually, I was worried about that after the Jets game last week, despite my
sabre-rattling prediction of a rout (with the Broncos on top), because I know
about those things. And my fears obviously came to fruition . . .

-----

Ironically, i know about those things too.

I played football as well but whenever i lost a game it made me work that much harder and gave me extra motivation to do better the next week. I never packed it in as a player. Sure, i was never physically as gifted as a athlete but it never stopped me from going out and doing my job. Mistakes can happen and has happened. The thing is though, when it comes to a team like the Raiders who are just as bad if not worse than us you simply cannot let that happen as a player, coach, or owner. Not only should McD be in their shit but Bowlen probably needs to address this.

I remember my senior year in HS when my team made it too the championship we were going against a team we had absolutely demolished twice in the regular season. One of those wins was a 63-0 romper. But, as we've seen any team can go on a run and obviously this team never got down and continued to play hard to get to the championship game. Never the less, i went in expecting to route them again. At one point i thought we were going to lose because we had been trailing 7-0 for most of the game. Well, we still won but it was in OT by a 13-7 score. I was in disbelief at how they were playing. It was like a totally different team and they got major respect from me after that.

But rather than pack it in those guys decided they were not going to give up and it paid off. So we lose a close one to a very good Jets team. So what? They should of had extra motivation to come in and at the very least play Oakland hard. That isnt what happened but next week we will see if Denver can rebound with some (as Gem will call it) pride. I can accept losing next week. What i cant accept is just giving up.

topscribe
10-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Ironically, i know about those things too.

I played football as well but whenever i lost a game it made me work that much harder and gave me extra motivation to do better the next week. I never packed it in as a player. Sure, i was never physically as gifted as a athlete but it never stopped me from going out and doing my job. Mistakes can happen and has happened. The thing is though, when it comes to a team like the Raiders who are just as bad if not worse than us you simply cannot let that happen as a player, coach, or owner. Not only should McD be in their shit but Bowlen probably needs to address this.

I remember my senior year in HS when my team made it too the championship we were going against a team we had absolutely demolished twice in the regular season. One of those wins was a 63-0 romper. But, as we've seen any team can go on a run and obviously this team never got down and continued to play hard to get to the championship game. Never the less, i went in expecting to route them again. At one point i thought we were going to lose because we had been trailing 7-0 for most of the game. Well, we still won but it was in OT by a 13-7 score. I was in disbelief at how they were playing. It was like a totally different team and they got major respect from me after that.

But rather than pack it in those guys decided they were not going to give up and it paid off. So we lose a close one to a very good Jets team. So what? They should of had extra motivation to come in and at the very least play Oakland hard. That isnt what happened but next week we will see if Denver can rebound with some (as Gem will call it) pride. I can accept losing next week. What i cant accept is just giving up.

You are using one isolated example to prove another. All I know, from my 40-
some-odd hours of postgraduate psychology, in addition to my football
(playing) experience, that such things as depression, shock, and mental
exhaustion will not necessarily disappear just because an individual decides it
is going to.

It takes more than having played or coached football to understand some of
the psychological ramifications of such an experience. I don't know what
could have been done in a week's time about that, other than have counselors
come in (unprecedented, maybe, but perhaps not unreasonable?).

Maybe they can weather the storm and get into the bye, where they can
sort things out a bit . . .

-----

Northman
10-25-2010, 01:11 PM
You are using one isolated example to prove another. All I know, from my 40-
some-odd hours of postgraduate psychology, in addition to my football
(playing) experience, that such things as depression, shock, and mental
exhaustion will not necessarily disappear just because an individual decides it
is going to.

It takes more than having played or coached football to understand some of
the psychological ramifications of such an experience. I don't know what
could have been done in a week's time about that, other than have counselors
come in (unprecedented, maybe, but perhaps not unreasonable?).

Maybe they can weather the storm and get into the bye, where they can
sort things out a bit . . .

-----

If the team is indeed getting depressed as bad as you say than this franchise is in for a long drought of winning tradition. Its that kind of mentality that has kept organizations like Cincy, Cleveland, and Detroit in the cellar for so long. If you are correct than we have a greater problem than even i expected and its time to ship out a lot of these players and HC. Its time to find a guy whether he is a player or HC who can instill confidence and a winning tradition back in Denver. If that guy is Tebow than lets hope thats the case and get him playing to take his lumps. To let this kind of play keep going will only make matters worse. I look at what is happening in Cleveland and McCoy and Hillis seems to have ignited inspired play into that team now. We dont have anyone on this team that is capable of doing that.

T.K.O.
10-25-2010, 01:12 PM
what was up with mcD keeping orton in the whole game ?
i dont know if he was thinking "you got us into this mess so you can stay in for the entire beatdown" or if he actually thought the broncos could come back...but the entire 4th qtr?
why the hell not put Tebow in and get the guy some passing plays in a game that was over?
i really dont get why a coach would'nt want to see what his 1st round rook could do.
not to mention if orton had got his ankles crushed in a blowout with 9 games left in a weak division:confused:

Mike
10-25-2010, 01:18 PM
i dont know if he was thinking "you got us into this mess so you can stay in for the entire beatdown" or if he actually thought the broncos could come back...but the entire 4th qtr?
why the hell not put Tebow in and get the guy some passing plays in a game that was over?
i really dont get why a coach would'nt want to see what his 1st round rook could do.
not to mention if orton had got his ankles crushed in a blowout with 9 games left in a weak division:confused:

I just don't think there was anything to gain from Tebow going in. The Raiders were fired up and everything was going their way. After the 49er game we might see Tebow, but I think it will be with an actual game plan for him and not just throwing him to the wolves.

topscribe
10-25-2010, 01:19 PM
If the team is indeed getting depressed as bad as you say than this franchise is in for a long drought of winning tradition. Its that kind of mentality that has kept organizations like Cincy, Cleveland, and Detroit in the cellar for so long. If you are correct than we have a greater problem than even i expected and its time to ship out a lot of these players and HC. Its time to find a guy whether he is a player or HC who can instill confidence and a winning tradition back in Denver. If that guy is Tebow than lets hope thats the case and get him playing to take his lumps. To let this kind of play keep going will only make matters worse. I look at what is happening in Cleveland and McCoy and Hillis seems to have ignited inspired play into that team now. We dont have anyone on this team that is capable of doing that.

You may be right about the possible drought, if the right things don't happen
pretty quickly.

However, the answer does not lie in a QB who can't throw as well as the one
who is in there right now, and who has found he can't run roughshod over
players on this level as he did in college. It doesn't lie in a RB - otherwise,
why didn't Moreno's fantastic 27-yard run with the screen pass fire his
teammates up more? You want to know why he was celebrating so hard
after his TDs, while the Broncos were so far down on the score? I believe he
was trying to fire his team up!

Since McDaniels apparently doesn't know how to handle this situation, the
only alternative I see is a win or two - and not one over a "cupcake" team,
but one in which they put their all against a good team and beats them.

Whether that will happen this year is anybody's guess . . .

-----

topscribe
10-25-2010, 01:24 PM

Perhaps McDaniels doesn't believe Tebow is good enough to play at this level at
this time. Have you noticed Tebow hasn't thrown a pass out of the "wild horses,"
or whatever they call it? I don't know, but I'm beginning to smell
disappointment in that area. Hope I'm wrong . . .

-----

underrated29
10-25-2010, 01:36 PM

Just so you know the chefs have 1st rd talent everywhere!!! on the defense. I amde a thread about this at the OM during the offseason before they even drafted Berry.

but in short.

DE- tyson jackson #3 overall
DT- Glenn dorsey #2 overall
DE- Tamba Hali - 1st rd pick-dont remember where
LB- Derick johnson- 15th overall
CB- Brandon Flowers- 1st rd talent, regarded as best overall CB-#35 overall
S- Eric Berry-1st rd pick-top 10- dont remember which spot.

so 6 of the 11 starters on defense are ALL bonified 1st round talents, most are top 10 or top 5 picks! Like i said in the other thread last ofseason its no wonder why the cheifs defense is so good, and under valued. This year they are showing that. With an entire DLine devoted to top 5 picks, a saftey, LB and CB- thats one hell of a start to a great defense!

KCL
10-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Just so you know the chefs have 1st rd talent everywhere!!! on the defense. I amde a thread about this at the OM during the offseason before they even drafted Berry.

but in short.

DE- tyson jackson #3 overall
DT- Glenn dorsey #2 overall
DE- Tamba Hali - 1st rd pick-dont remember where
LB- Derick johnson- 15th overall
CB- Brandon Flowers- 1st rd talent, regarded as best overall CB-#35 overall
S- Eric Berry-1st rd pick-top 10- dont remember which spot.

so 6 of the 11 starters on defense are ALL bonified 1st round talents, most are top 10 or top 5 picks! Like i said in the other thread last ofseason its no wonder why the cheifs defense is so good, and under valued. This year they are showing that. With an entire DLine devoted to top 5 picks, a saftey, LB and CB- thats one hell of a start to a great defense!
Also Javier Arenas on D...and
Don't forget the offense with Tony Moeaki and Dexter McCluster...;)

Pioli also picked up some other guys along the way...brought Vrabel over and also picked up Thomas Jones.

T.K.O.
10-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Perhaps McDaniels doesn't believe Tebow is good enough to play at this level at
this time. Have you noticed Tebow hasn't thrown a pass out of the "wild horses,"
or whatever they call it? I don't know, but I'm beginning to smell
disappointment in that area. Hope I'm wrong . . .

-----

sure he may not be ready....but what better way to get him ready?
give him some game exp. against a defense that is playing prevent.
not to mention if mcD feels tebow is no where near ready, that's an even bigger reason to put him in instead of risking injury to the guy who has played very well thus far this season:confused:
i just did'nt agree with leaving orton in in the 4th when the game was over:salute:

topscribe
10-25-2010, 01:51 PM
sure he may not be ready....but what better way to get him ready?
give him some game exp. against a defense that is playing prevent.
not to mention if mcD feels tebow is no where near ready, that's an even bigger reason to put him in instead of risking injury to the guy who has played very well thus far this season:confused:
i just did'nt agree with leaving orton in in the 4th when the game was over:salute:

I was worried about Orton, too, no doubt.

But what I was actually saying was not that Tebow isn't ready, but that maybe
McDaniels, having observed him every day in practice, is realizing that Tebow
isn't good enough. I may well be wrong - and I hope I am - but there are flags,
or seem to be . . .

-----

Northman
10-25-2010, 01:55 PM
It doesn't lie in a RB - otherwise,
why didn't Moreno's fantastic 27-yard run with the screen pass fire his
teammates up more? You want to know why he was celebrating so hard
after his TDs, while the Broncos were so far down on the score? I believe he
was trying to fire his team up!

Since McDaniels apparently doesn't know how to handle this situation, the
only alternative I see is a win or two - and not one over a "cupcake" team,
but one in which they put their all against a good team and beats them.

Whether that will happen this year is anybody's guess . . .

-----

Well, by that point we were down a LOT so although i credit Moreno for trying its almost the same as DJ and crew a few years ago celebrating after tackling a guy for a 7 yd gain when we were getting hammered by the other team. It was a too little too late yesterday. They probably could of used that when they were down 21-0 as opposed to 38-0. But i agree, a string of wins could go a long way so lets see how they rebound.

frenchfan
10-25-2010, 01:55 PM

My thoughts. Flame on.I can't argue against that...

The main problem is that we are quiters since Elway retired... There is no more heart and soul in this team...

We suck... plain and simple...

It's not defeat that pisses me off... That's the way we lost... We don't fight... We have no pride...
In McD's shoes, let me tell you that Dove Valley would be a zombie land right now... Tombstone would be a better place than our locker...
He is for sure responsible, but so are the players... Everyone from the organization to players should be ashamed... really ashamed...

No excuse... I don't even want to hear about excuses... They want forgiveness??? They have to win it on the field... Not by winning every game... But to show us (all the fans) that they give 200% on every play now... This is the only thing I expect right now... Play like men, not like cows !

This is the very first time I feel bad to be a Broncos fan... We are a joke right now... I expect this team to give a message to all the NFL right now : we are no more jokes... You can defeat us, but we'll never allow you to make laugh on us anymore ... If we can do that... then, there will be forgiveness... If we don't... bring me 53 other players and a new organization...

PERIOD !

I Eat Staples
10-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Yea, we've gone from a .500 team to a cellar dwellar. But, McD was brought in to change all of that which you mentioned. Now, as some of you are finding out he isnt the answer that some thought he was.

We've been hearing over and over from people on here that this is his team, he handpicked these guys. Well, this is what his team looks like. He's made us worse and he will continue to do so. Please fire this clown before he completely screws us up. Every draft pick he makes digs a deeper hole for us.

I Eat Staples
10-25-2010, 02:04 PM

or seem to be . . .

-----

I think the wildcat packages featuring Tebow support this theory too. McD might be realizing that Tebow doesn't have what it takes to be a QB, and is therefore trying to use his skillset in some way to help the team and make himself look better.

Bosco
10-25-2010, 02:07 PM
I think the wildcat packages featuring Tebow support this theory too. McD might be realizing that Tebow doesn't have what it takes to be a QB, and is therefore trying to use his skillset in some way to help the team and make himself look better.

Except that he told us he planned to use Tebow in some special packages from almost the minute he was drafted.

Northman
10-25-2010, 02:07 PM
We've been hearing over and over from people on here that this is his team, he handpicked these guys. Well, this is what his team looks like. He's made us worse and he will continue to do so. Please fire this clown before he completely screws us up. Every draft pick he makes digs a deeper hole for us.

Still some football to be played but yea im not having a good feeling about this. I hate to pull the "i told you so" card again but when people were criticizing Shanahan for the blowout losses and the team quitting i pointed to several games in McD's first two years (before this Raider game) where we lost by 2 TD's with no evidence of improvement. Now, this game it shows clearly the team quit and how they respond next week will be even more telling. Whether the rumors about a lockerroom issue are true i have no idea. But that cant help the morale of this team with the way things went yesterday. Somehow, someway we have to get out of this mentality that we are not a competitive team even when things look bleak. Im with Mike when he says i have never seen it THIS bad since being a fan of the Broncos. Top has, but i havent and its a very tough pill to swallow.

Dreadnought
10-25-2010, 02:35 PM

or seem to be . . .

-----

After watching McDaniels botch the evaluation of Peyton Hillis' potential and ability (among others), I am not much interested in his opinion of Tebow, frankly. This is the same guy who said Lamont Jordan gave us the best opportunity to win - the same guy who brought in Laurence Maroney, too. I have zero faith in his judgment anymore. He's blown it already too many times.

Northman
10-25-2010, 02:40 PM
After watching McDaniels botch the evaluation of Peyton Hillis' potential and ability (among others), I am not much interested in his opinion of Tebow, frankly. This is the same guy who said Lamont Jordan gave us the best opportunity to win - the same guy who brought in Laurence Maroney, too. I have zero faith in his judgment anymore. He's blown it already too many times.

Off topic but i love your sig Dread. Sad day in our history but that picture is amazing.

Dreadnought
10-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Off topic but i love your sig Dread. Sad day in our history but that picture is amazing.

Thanks - It was time for a sig change, and this seemed the thing. I found it online just using a google image search. In Bronco Land forever forward "October 24th, 2010, is a Day that shall live in Infamy...".

TXBRONC
10-25-2010, 04:35 PM
I just don't think there was anything to gain from Tebow going in. The Raiders were fired up and everything was going their way. After the 49er game we might see Tebow, but I think it will be with an actual game plan for him and not just throwing him to the wolves.

Real game experience for Tebow could have been gained.

The Glue Factory
10-25-2010, 09:05 PM

Well that's an overly simplified argument here. Yes almost everyone on the team are people picked by McDaniels but with an enormous brush, you glossed over the huge lack of talent from 32 NFL rejects that haven't played in the NFL since McDaniels gave them their walking papers. Just how does ANY coach in the NFL replace 32 players in just 2 years and NOT have problems in the w/l columns?

I Eat Staples
10-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Except that he told us he planned to use Tebow in some special packages from almost the minute he was drafted.

He said Tebow would play QB, end of story. He's been in the game but hasn't thrown a pass yet.

Well that's an overly simplified argument here. Yes almost everyone on the team are people picked by McDaniels but with an enormous brush, you glossed over the huge lack of talent from 32 NFL rejects that haven't played in the NFL since McDaniels gave them their walking papers. Just how does ANY coach in the NFL replace 32 players in just 2 years and NOT have problems in the w/l columns?

He made changes that didn't need to be made, and didn't make changes that did need to be made.