PDA

View Full Version : Summer Olympics 2008

Magnificent Seven
08-09-2008, 02:31 AM
Man!

I have to say that ceremony is truly amazing! Especially that torch show. I would give 9/10.

My favorite part was the lighting of the cauldron that holds the Olympic flame. Retired Chinese gymnast Li Ning, suspended by wires, appeared to run around the top perimeter of the "Bird's Nest" stadium as a video scroll of all the stops on the torch relay unfolded before he lit the cauldron.

Secondly, A 60-foot diameter globe rose from the floor with gravity-defying runners scampering around it. The globe took a year to design and construct. Pretty Amazing!!!!!!

Best ceremony ever!

Magnificent Seven
08-09-2008, 02:32 AM
Czech wins first gold in air rifling!

BEIJING (AP) -- The Emmons family is off to a fine start at the Beijing Olympics.

Katerina Emmons of the Czech Republic won the 10-meter air rifle Saturday, spoiling China's bid for the games' first gold medal. Emmons, the wife of American shooter Matt Emmons, finished with an Olympic record of 503.5 points after shooting a perfect 400 in qualifying.

"I had a headache this morning. I felt very bad. I couldn't imagine how I would shoot feeling this bad," said Emmons, who won bronze in this event in 2004. "Especially since it's the first gold medal of the Olympics, I feel amazing."

Lioubov Galkina of Russia won the silver and Snjezana Pejcic of Croatia took the bronze.

The big surprise was a fifth-place finish by China's Du Li. She won the event four years ago in Athens. Du was just a point behind Emmons after qualifying.

"As for the final, I wasn't fully prepared for the pressure of competing at home," Du said.

Du was greeted with a roar from the fans in the upper balcony of the shooting range when she came out for the final. She turned to face the crowd with a wide smile on her face, waved and bowed before heading over to her lane. However, she misfired immediately in the final round, scoring only 9.8 points on her first attempt. Competitors can earn up to 10.9 points per shot in the final.

Emmons was all but assured of victory with one shot remaining. Of course, her husband was in a similar spot four years ago in the three-position rifle event. He missed out on a gold medal because he fired at the wrong target on the final shot -- an unthinkable gaffe.

Katerina Emmons won comfortably by 1.4 points Saturday.

"I'm more proud of her than if I was to do it myself," Matt Emmons said.

Matt Emmons did win a gold in prone rifle in Athens, and will compete in both prone and three-position rifle this year. Katerina Emmons will compete in three-position rifle on the women's side.

"I did my part. I mean, half of my job is done," she said. "Matt's going to shoot his best."

Katerina and Matt Emmons are staying with each other at these Olympics -- the Czech Republic team helped find them a room together. After Saturday's event, the couple posed with a Czech flag wrapped around themselves.

"I know I would do good even if he wasn't here, if he couldn't be here for some reason. I know he would do great if I wasn't here for him," she said. "But the fact that we're here together is awesome."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olympics/2008/08/08/airrifle.record.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Kapaibro
08-09-2008, 02:51 AM
China has 2 golds.

Men's 10m air pistol:
1 P Wei (Chn) 688.2pts Gold
2 J Jong Oh (Kor) 684.5pts Silver
3 K Jong Su (Kor) 683.0pts Bronze

Weightlifting Women's 48kg
1 Chen Xiexia (Chn) 212kg Gold
2 Sibel Ozkan (Tur) 199kg Silver
3 Chen Wei-Ling (Tpe) 196kg Bronze

Magnificent Seven
08-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Olympics! Woooooooo!

MOtorboat
08-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Phelps just obliterated the 400IM World Record....

Tned
08-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Phelps just obliterated the 400IM World Record....

One of the reasons I lost track of the Bronco game. I was on the phone and watching him on the TV. He shattered that record.

MOtorboat
08-09-2008, 09:15 PM
One of the reasons I lost track of the Bronco game. I was on the phone and watching him on the TV. He shattered that record.

That was freakin' awesome!

Magnuson just set an American Record...silver in the 100M Butterfly...

Tned
08-09-2008, 09:17 PM
That was freakin' awesome!

Magnuson just set an American Record...silver in the 100M Butterfly...

They were showing the WR splits, and I believe he was only ahead by a second or, so must have really flown the last 50 to 100 meters.

What was the green line behind him. Was that showing the WR and whether he was ahead of the time? I haven't really been watching any of the olympics today.

slim
08-09-2008, 11:08 PM
wow, phelps is a badass.

Lonestar
08-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Our first medals of the games were in Fencing Bronze, Silver and Gold the gal that won the Gold had won it in Sydney 4 year ago..

While I do not understand the sport whatsoever, they sure are some quick moves.. The gal that got bronze is just 18..

sneakers
08-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Jake Plummer should try out for the 2012 USA Olympic Handball Team!

MOtorboat
08-10-2008, 12:45 AM
wow, phelps is a badass.

Shattered....SH-ATT-ER-ED!

Almost 2 seconds...that's a complete bitch-slapping.

sneakers
08-10-2008, 12:46 AM
My cousin won the bronze medal in the 2000 olympics in Rowing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Garner

slim
08-10-2008, 12:49 PM
My cousin won the bronze medal in the 2000 olympics in Rowing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Garner

Wow, that's pretty cool.

Is she hot?

slim
08-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Water Polo is an odd sport.

MOtorboat
08-10-2008, 10:32 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Screw those cocky French ********.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOtorboat
08-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Take some bitch!

MOtorboat
08-10-2008, 10:58 PM
I so want Michael Phelps to reach over and bitch-slap Elaine Bernard...dude even has a bitch's name!

Thnikkaman
08-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Is it just me, or is the girl from Illinois on our synchronized diving team hawt as bawls?

OB
08-11-2008, 10:28 AM
womens beach volleyball is hotttt :D

I need to take advantage of the cox dealy and livestream it at work

it amazes me how this is the one time everyone will watch just about any kind of sport and still get excited over it -

I watched some of the mens gymnastics - damn that shit just amazes me

And i always cry over something at some point - this time it was the little chinese boyt with yao ming who saved his two classmates during the earthquake "because it was his job - he was the hall monitor"

MOtorboat
08-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Is it just me, or is the girl from Illinois on our synchronized diving team hawt as bawls?

This one?
http://www.nbcolympics.com/imgml/athletes/large/00699_142x190.jpg

turftoad
08-11-2008, 10:44 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Screw those cocky French ********.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That race was unreal!! It had me standing up cheering for the last 25 meters.

Who's talking now.

Thnikkaman
08-11-2008, 10:47 AM
This one?
http://www.nbcolympics.com/imgml/athletes/large/00699_142x190.jpg

Yeah, but she looks a lot better in a swimsuit with wet hair. The hair in that picture needs to go.

Kapaibro
08-11-2008, 11:44 AM
I so want Michael Phelps to reach over and bitch-slap Elaine Bernard...dude even has a bitch's name!

Alain Bernard

But I was happy to see Lezak kick the French to the curb.

girler
08-11-2008, 11:57 AM
The mens 2 player vollyball team is HOT. Why can't THEY play nekkid??? :salute:

OB
08-11-2008, 12:28 PM

There are so many hot bodies in the olympics (although most are butter faces )

Kapaibro
08-11-2008, 12:40 PM

How rude is it that the only people possibly fit enough to wear speedos are now wearing bloody full body suits?

girler
08-11-2008, 12:44 PM
How rude is it that the only people possibly fit enough to wear speedos are now wearing bloody full body suits?

Now if *I* were to go swimming, people would BEG me to wear a full body suit. :laugh: "you're blinding us with your albino body!!! :Cry:"

Kapaibro
08-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Now if *I* were to go swimming, people would BEG me to wear a full body suit. :laugh: "you're blinding us with your albino body!!! :Cry:"

Big props to Phelps for whipping his suit down to his groin at every possible opportunity! And for wearing his shorts in the heats!

Thnikkaman
08-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Big props to Phelps for whipping his suit down to his groin at every possible opportunity! And for wearing his shorts in the heats!

Considering that those suits are like being bound tight, I don't blame him.

Kapaibro
08-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Considering that those suits are like being bound tight, I don't blame him.

Mmmmmmmmm Phelps body! Like a lean tasty schexy greyhound swimmer boy!

Lonestar
08-11-2008, 02:56 PM

Think about it swimming for 400 meters how much stamina the guy must have..

Of course we all know what water does to the body..

Kapaibro
08-11-2008, 03:00 PM

23 years old, and all that stamina, and he has HUGE feet!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????????????

girler
08-11-2008, 03:01 PM

Makes it wet??? :drool:

Kapaibro
08-11-2008, 03:02 PM

wetttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt :drool:

girler
08-11-2008, 03:04 PM

He moves in the water like a dolphin. :drool: Oh, excuse me. A WET dolphin. :drool: :drool:

Lonestar
08-11-2008, 03:05 PM

shrivels most skin.. you know prune like

MOtorboat
08-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Oh my...

girler
08-11-2008, 03:07 PM
shrivels most skin.. you know prune like

Ya. Like elephant skin. :eyebrows:

BroncoNut
08-11-2008, 03:10 PM
MB should try out in 2012 for the clean and jerk

MOtorboat
08-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Talk about one cocky mo-fo...
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=afp-oly2008swimusaspitz&prov=afp&type=lgns

Spitz, once the star, upset over Beijing snub

by Polly Hui

HONG KONG (AFP) - US swim legend Mark Spitz won't be on hand in Beijing if Michael Phelps breaks his record of seven gold medals at a single Olympics—because, he says, no one bothered to invite him.

Spitz said the International Olympic Committee, a US television network or FINA—the international body that governs world swimming—should have brought him to the Games this year, with Phelps making a go at his record.

"I never got invited. You don't go to the Olympics just to say, I am going to go. Especially because of who I am," Spitz told AFP in Hong Kong.

"I am going to sit there and watch Michael Phelps break my record anonymously? That's almost demeaning to me. It is not almost—it is."

Spitz became one of the most famous athletes in the world at the 1972 Munich Olympics, winning seven gold medals—with seven world records—in what many consider to be one of the greatest achievements in all of sport.

Phelps is aiming to better that mark in Beijing, hoping to bring home eight golds. And Spitz, now 58 and grey and without his trademark moustache, cannot understand why he wasn't asked along to see the show.

"They voted me one of the top five Olympians in all time. Some of them are dead. But they invited the other ones to go to the Olympics, but not me," he said. "Yes, I am a bit upset about it."

Now a stockbroker and motivational speaker, Spitz also thinks he could have won eight golds himself in Munich if only he had had the chance.

"I won seven events. If they had the 50m freestyle back then, which they do now, I probably would have won that too," he said.

Spitz, whose brief stint in show business in the 1970s never quite matched his success in the pool, said he attended the Athens Olympics four years ago—when Phelps also tried to break the record.

"They did not once put my face on television," he recalled. "But as soon as the swimming was over, and Michael Phelps didn't break my record, every time I went to beach volley, they put my face on the volleyballs."

Spitz said it would have been a great idea if he could be the one presenting the gold medals to Phelps, who has for years been candid about his ambition to eclipse the mark of seven golds.

And Spitz thinks Phelps will succeed—for one very good reason.

"He's almost identical to me. He's a world-record holder in all these events, so he is dominating the events just like I did," Spitz said. "He reminds me of myself."

Lonestar
08-11-2008, 03:29 PM
He is the only person in the world that needs a invitation to go over there? Everyone else boughta ticket and went..

it is demeaning to him what a crybaby.. The Fina, or Olympics do not owe him anything.. Been reading to many of his scrapbooks IMO..

MOtorboat
08-11-2008, 03:31 PM
it is demeaning to him what a crybaby.. The Fina, or Olympics do not owe him anything.. Been reading to many of his scrapbooks IMO..

I thought the same thing...however, the one thing I would say, is if they invited (and who knows actually invited them) the other four top Olympians and not him, that is a bit of a snub...but, yeah, kind of crying...dude...if you want to be there, be there...

BroncoNut
08-11-2008, 03:32 PM
He sounds like a dick

Kapaibro
08-11-2008, 03:37 PM
British diver Blake Aldridge has pointed the finger of blame at his young partner Tom Daley following the pair's eighth and last place finish in the Olympic 10m synchronised diving final.

Aldridge, 26, believes any hopes of winning a medal at the Water Cube in Beijing were dashed by a nervy and below-par performance from Daley, the youngest competitor at the Games at just 14 years of age.

"I didn't blow anything, so I can go home happy," Aldridge told the BBC.

"Unfortunately it's a partnership, you both have to be on the top of your game. I wasn't on top of my game but Tom was nowhere near the top of his.

"Tom was very nervous, more so than ever before. I think he really struggled to get through the competition, and as his partner it was hard for me to get up there and try and ease him into it.

"Unfortunately for me, it didn't work today."

Daley has attracted intense interest in Beijing after having risen to stardom by winning the individual European title and becoming Britain's second youngest male Olympian.

But Aldridge believes the youngster suffered an attack of nerves during the event, which culminated in a spat between the pair before the sixth and final dive.

"He had a pop at me before the last dive, when we were sitting down," Aldridge said.

"I saw my mum in the audience and I asked her to give me a call and Tom went to me, 'Why are you on the phone? We're still in the competition and we've got another dive to do.'

"That's just Thomas - he's over-nervous and that's how it was today. Thomas should not be worrying about what I'm doing, but today he was worrying about everyone and everything and that to me is really the sole reason why he didn't perform today."

While Aldridge will now head home, Daley retains a chance of winning a medal in Beijing, and will compete in the individual 10m platform event in 10 days' time.

Aldridge added: "Tom's lucky that he has got another chance and I hope he takes a lot of experience from this and that it stands him in good stead.

"Unfortunately I don't have another chance."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/11082008/58/beijing-2008-daley-blamed-defeat.html

Yeah mate, that's really classy. Blame the 14 year old. I watched the diving, and both of them did stuff wrong.

It's called PAIRS diving for a reason.

BigDaddyBronco
08-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Here is a Spitz commet about Phelps...

Personally, I don't think that what he is doing really has anything to do with what I did. I do think that what I did has a major impact on what he's trying to do. Therein lies the difference.
-- Spitz to The Arizona Republic, June 6, 2008

What Phelps is trying to do is night and day harder than what Spitz did.

A classy guy would come out and say what I did at the time was unprecedented, but Phelps is amazing. Something like that. I guess to be at this level you have to be pretty cocky.

BroncoNut
08-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Yeah mate, that's really classy. Blame the 14 year old. I watched the diving, and both of them did stuff wrong.

It's called PAIRS diving for a reason.

He sounds like a dick too

MOtorboat
08-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Here is a Spitz commet about Phelps...

What Phelps is trying to do is night and day harder than what Spitz did.

A classy guy would come out and say what I did at the time was unprecedented, but Phelps is amazing. Something like that. I guess to be at this level you have to be pretty cocky.

Apparently, Spitz is a real dick.

BroncoNut
08-11-2008, 03:48 PM
It would be funny if spitz' first name was dick, because that is what he is

BeefStew25
08-11-2008, 03:56 PM
It would be funny if spitz' first name was dick, because that is what he is

Then you guys would have something in common: Spitting Dick.

Kapaibro
08-12-2008, 04:50 AM
American Walton Eller scored 190 hits to win the men's double trap gold medal at the Olympic Games here on Tuesday.

Italian Francesco D Aniello took the silver with 187 hits and Chinese Hu Binyuan got the bronze with 184.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/12/xin_54208051216249842760911.jpg

Pfc. Walton Glenn Eller, III, is a shotgun shooter with the Army Marksmanship Unit, Fort Benning, Ga. He enlisted in the Army in September 2006 and was assigned to the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit Shotgun Team in January 2007. He started shooting in 1990 at the age of 8.

Of note: Eller also won the celebrated British Open Sporting Clay junior title in 1996 -- becoming the first American do to so. Joined the Army and attended basic training with Olympic teammate Spc. Jeffrey G. Holguin.

Kapaibro
08-12-2008, 04:55 AM
Michael Phelps stormed to victory in the men's 200m freestyle swimming, claiming his third gold medal and third world record of the Beijing Olympics.

Phelps, 23, finished nearly two seconds ahead of South Korea's Park Tae-hwan in a time of one minute 42.96 seconds.

The American owned the previous record of 1:43.86 and now has a joint-record nine Olympics career golds.

Phelps's compatriot Peter Vanderkaay took bronze, while Britain's Robbie Renwick finished eighth.

"I just wanted to be out on my own which I had done by the 100 metres mark, that was my goal," said Phelps, who led from start to finish.

"I was out in open water and I was in the middle, which makes it difficult for the other guys to see me.

"I knew Park would have a strong last 50 metres, so I had to keep my focus and concentration."

Phelps has already triumphed in the 400m individual medley and 4x100m freestyle relay and looks to be improving with each race.

The 200m freestyle has a medal which eluded him in Athens when he was a bronze medallist behind Australian Ian Thorpe.

"Phelps swam so fast," said silver medallist Park. "It is my honour to compete with him."

Phelps's ninth career Olympic gold draws him level with Mark Spitz Carl Lewis, Paavo Nurmi and Larysa Latynina and keeps him on course to beat Spitz's 36-year-old record of seven golds in a single Games.

Racing out of lane six, Phelps quickly surged into the lead and led by a full body length halfway through the second of four lengths.

Phelps will race for his fourth medal on Wednesday in the 200m butterfly, yet another event in which he holds the world record.

He advanced to the final as the fastest qualifier just moments after receiving his 200m freestyle gold medal.

Lonestar
08-12-2008, 11:35 AM
American Walton Eller scored 190 hits to win the men's double trap gold medal at the Olympic Games here on Tuesday.

Italian Francesco D Aniello took the silver with 187 hits and Chinese Hu Binyuan got the bronze with 184.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/12/xin_54208051216249842760911.jpg

Pfc. Walton Glenn Eller, III, is a shotgun shooter with the Army Marksmanship Unit, Fort Benning, Ga. He enlisted in the Army in September 2006 and was assigned to the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit Shotgun Team in January 2007. He started shooting in 1990 at the age of 8.

Of note: Eller also won the celebrated British Open Sporting Clay junior title in 1996 -- becoming the first American do to so. Joined the Army and attended basic training with Olympic teammate Spc. Jeffrey G. Holguin.

props to him but seems funny he is allowed to pursue his career and goals being in the army but the kid drafted to the Lions is not..

NightTrainLayne
08-12-2008, 11:39 AM
props to him but seems funny he is allowed to pursue his career and goals being in the army but the kid drafted to the Lions is not..

Probably the difference is that there's not a "football" unit, whereas there is a marskman unit. Plus the games are only a few days vs. 4-5 months.

Lonestar
08-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Probably the difference is that there's not a "football" unit, whereas there is a marskman unit. Plus the games are only a few days vs. 4-5 months.

I guessing that this "unit" he is attached to practices every working day of the week 12 months a year..

turftoad
08-12-2008, 11:48 AM

He's not getting paid and does not want out of his armed forces commitment.
Also.. he is representing the good ole US of A.

OB
08-12-2008, 11:52 AM

my thoughts exactly one gets paid to play for $$$ - the other one plays for pride - the time thing prolly has something to do with it too

Lonestar
08-12-2008, 11:53 AM

so he is in the army and not getting paid?

I did not see that maleb wanted out of his commitment just wanted the chance to play after being drqfted.. But they said that he was needed to fulfill his Iraq time commiment..

Seems to be that this kid might not be seeing time in Iraq either..

Again I happy for him and glad to see us winning teh Gold but PR value for not allowing the kid to play IMO is a whole lot less than making him serve without going to TC and perhaps being cut up front.. and then be able to serve.

OB
08-12-2008, 11:57 AM

I did not see that maleb wanted out of his commitment just wanted the chance to play after being drqfted.. But they said that he was needed to fulfill his Iraq time commiment..

Again I happy for him and glad to see us winning teh Gold but PR value for not allowing the kid to play IMO is a whole lot less than making him serve without going to TC and perhaps being cut up front.. and then be able to serve.

So when this is over for eller in a week or two - he cant finish his next 2/4 years or w/e in the military - the lions dude - how is it possible to serve in the military and the NFL at the same time - its not possible

Lonestar
08-12-2008, 12:09 PM
So when this is over for eller in a week or two - he cant finish his next 2/4 years or w/e in the military - the lions dude - how is it possible to serve in the military and the NFL at the same time - its not possible

Eller does this for a living on his Shooting team 5+ days a week 48 weeks a year.... I suspect he will not or has not seen time in a war zone.

One can do Recruiting duty in the off season and frankly would be a hell of alot more effective doing that and PR for the Army than being cannon fodder in Iraq. But go figure..

turftoad
08-12-2008, 12:19 PM

No, No, I ment he's not getting paid outside of the army like the guy for the Loins would be.

BTW, I don't agree with the football decision either.

BroncoNut
08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Then you guys would have something in common: Spitting Dick.

:lol:

:rolleyes:

Lonestar
08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
No, No, I meant he's not getting paid outside of the army like the guy for the Loins would be.

BTW, I don't agree with the football decision either.

as in tender?

:focus:

Kapaibro
08-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Can't you just be proud of the guy for representing his country to the very best of his ability?

BeefStew25
08-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Can't you just be proud of the guy for representing his country to the very best of his ability?

No, I certainly can't.

broncogirl7
08-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Michael Phelps is the "bomb!" Go U.S.A.!!!
Congrats Men's Gymnastics on the Bronze!

Kapaibro
08-14-2008, 09:55 PM
6 golds for Phelps, and WR number 6.

Lochte finished 3rd, with Lazlo Cseh taking the silver.

MOtorboat
08-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Once again...the judging events are rigged...the American gets screwed.

I can't believe they allow this shit.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-15-2008, 09:01 AM
China is owning up in the Gold medals. We have Michael Phelps though. He has half of our medals. Good job.

BroncoNut
08-15-2008, 09:08 AM
when do the olympics end?

MOtorboat
08-15-2008, 10:02 AM
when do the olympics end?

Next Sunday.

broncogirl7
08-15-2008, 11:19 AM
What do you think about the instant replay? I think it sucks! Even with instant replay, mistakes are being made. I watched fencing yesterday and there were some questionable points, but in the end China deservedly (sp) lost the match.

turftoad
08-15-2008, 11:23 AM
China is owning up in the Gold medals. We have Michael Phelps though. He has half of our medals. Good job.

We still have track and field, boxing, etc... etc... that we are better at than China.
That is, if the judging isn't biased.

BigDaddyBronco
08-15-2008, 12:01 PM
We still have track and field, boxing, etc... etc... that we are better at than China.
That is, if the judging isn't biased.
I'm sure they'll be all over the track and field athletes for doping tests, but will the IOC verify the age of the Chinese gymnasts. Nah, it would upset the Chinese government.

Stargazer
08-15-2008, 10:14 PM
I have enjoyed the Olympics this year. It's been great to watch!

NameUsedBefore
08-16-2008, 02:57 AM
Anything with judges is pretty much guaranteed to be biased every single year.

I stick to the track/swimming/wrestling. Archery was amusing to watch too.

Kapaibro
08-16-2008, 03:37 AM
I was happy to see NZ get their first medal. Mahe Drysdale got bronze in the 2000m men's single scull (rowing).

It was a bit scary though cos he collapsed at the dock when he got out of his boat.

Kapaibro
08-16-2008, 03:41 AM
Woooo hooo!

Another bronze for NZ. We got third in the men's pairs!

Kapaibro
08-16-2008, 04:01 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!!

Another medal for NZ in the rowing!

Gold for the Evers-Swindell twins in the womens double sculls!

So cool, they are just stunned! They win the event the got gold in at Athens!

MOtorboat
08-16-2008, 08:38 AM
So...a North Korean shooter was banned for doping...

I mean, WTF...I don't think steroids help your vision...

Rex
08-16-2008, 08:54 AM

Probably Beta blockers. Use your investigative journalism skills midget~:D

MOtorboat
08-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Probably Beta blockers. Use your investigative journalism skills midget~:D

So Beta blockers make you see better?

Kapaibro
08-16-2008, 09:13 AM

It was a beta blocker which reduces hand tremors. Definitely important

Kapaibro
08-16-2008, 09:16 AM
BBC coverage has me pissed off. I know they on;y give a damn about the British ahtletes, but dammit, they showed their women getting the bronze medals in the rowing, and then went to talking heads about the 4's. Didn't even have the decency to show the silver and gold medal presentations.

And rather than show the Women's shot put final, they yap about the bookmakers odds on the 100m final.

Kapaibro
08-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Yeee ha!

Valerie Vili won the Women's Shot Put with 20.56m. On her first throw!!!!!!!!!!

Second gold for NZ today!

Kapaibro
08-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Usain Bolt won the 100m. 9.69 seconds. WR time, and he wasn't even forcing it at the end!

Denver Native (Carol)
08-16-2008, 05:18 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=97737&provider=top

Trying to equal Michael Phelps at the dinner table

DENVER - When word got out that gold medalist Michael Phelps consumed a whopping 12,000 calories a day, 9NEWS' partners at KOA Radio wanted to know what that looked like on a plate. Or in this case, several plates.

"We got a hold of exactly the menu that Michael Phelps eats from, and the folks from Baker Street Pub have made to order every single item that he eats in a day," said radio host Dave Logan. "We're going to see if we can consume everything in this studio by the time we are off the air at 5 p.m. That, or throw up."

In five buffet-sized bins, Phelps' typical breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu were heated up.

So what does 12,000 calories look like, you ask?

For a typical breakfast, Phelps eats three fried egg sandwiches with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions, and mayo. He also eats one, five-egg omelet, a bowl of grits, three slices of French toast with powdered sugar, three chocolate chip pancakes and two cups of coffee.

For lunch, it's a thousand calories worth of energy drinks, one pound of pasta with tomato sauce, and two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread.

Finally for dinner, Phelps consumes six to eight slices of pizza, another pound of pasta with tomato sauce, and another thousand calories worth of energy drinks.

Logan and his co-host of the day, Gloria Neal, ate a pancake, a piece of pizza, a spoon-full of grits, part of the omelet, and a fried egg sandwich, before they couldn't eat any more.

When a listener called in to ask how they were doing, Dave simply answered, "Good, getting stuffed quickly, but good."

schnooks1
08-16-2008, 07:04 PM
A good friend of mine's boss is in the Olympics.
http://www.sunherald.com/sports/story/752210.html

I am so excited for him. He is a very nice man, and there will be a huge party here if he makes it all the way!!

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
08-17-2008, 04:50 AM
Great weekend for GB :beer:

3rd in the medal tables with half the athletes of USA and China.

Should be our best haul since 1920.

BigDaddyBronco
08-17-2008, 06:42 AM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=97737&provider=top

Trying to equal Michael Phelps at the dinner table

DENVER - When word got out that gold medalist Michael Phelps consumed a whopping 12,000 calories a day, 9NEWS' partners at KOA Radio wanted to know what that looked like on a plate. Or in this case, several plates.

"We got a hold of exactly the menu that Michael Phelps eats from, and the folks from Baker Street Pub have made to order every single item that he eats in a day," said radio host Dave Logan. "We're going to see if we can consume everything in this studio by the time we are off the air at 5 p.m. That, or throw up."

In five buffet-sized bins, Phelps' typical breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu were heated up.

So what does 12,000 calories look like, you ask?

For a typical breakfast, Phelps eats three fried egg sandwiches with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions, and mayo. He also eats one, five-egg omelet, a bowl of grits, three slices of French toast with powdered sugar, three chocolate chip pancakes and two cups of coffee.

For lunch, it's a thousand calories worth of energy drinks, one pound of pasta with tomato sauce, and two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread.

Finally for dinner, Phelps consumes six to eight slices of pizza, another pound of pasta with tomato sauce, and another thousand calories worth of energy drinks.

Logan and his co-host of the day, Gloria Neal, ate a pancake, a piece of pizza, a spoon-full of grits, part of the omelet, and a fried egg sandwich, before they couldn't eat any more.

When a listener called in to ask how they were doing, Dave simply answered, "Good, getting stuffed quickly, but good."

They said a typical workout for him burns 4000 calories, and he probably has 2 workouts a day. So he burns the other 4000 calories just going around his normal business.

I would love to have that metabolism. :D

Denver Native (Carol)
08-17-2008, 04:18 PM
I did not know this, but Michael Phelps’ has ADHD

http://adderworld.com/blog1/2008/08/10/michael-phelps-adhd-hyper-focus-concentration-helps-win-gold-medal-in-beijing/

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
08-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Another fantastic day for Team GB :beer:

Kapaibro
08-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Olympics heptathlon silver medallist Liudmyla Blonska is facing a lifetime ban after failing a drugs test for the second time in five years.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44941000/jpg/_44941709_blonska_282.jpg

If Blonska's B sample matches her A sample she will be expelled from the Beijing Games and stripped of silver.

Hyleas Fountain of the US finished third in the heptathlon while Russia's Tatiana Chernova was fourth.

The Ukrainian, 30, was handed a two-year ban in June 2003 when traces of stanozolol were found in her system.

Britain's Kelly Sotherton was fifth in a competition won by the Ukraine's Nataliia Dobrynska.

The International Olympic Committee has opened a disciplinary hearing into Blonska's case and it is expected to rule on it on Thursday.

Nick Davies, head of communications of the International Association of Athletics Federations, said: "She's already come back from a two-year ban.

"It is fair in life to give people a second chance but now (if it is proved) she has committed an offence again, it is a life ban and good riddance quite frankly.

Blonska is also competing in the long jump and was third in qualifying ahead of Friday's final. Her place in that event is now in jeopardy.

Davies said he understood the test was believed to have uncovered an anabolic steroid.

It is the fifth positive test of the Games so far - after the Spanish cyclist Maria Isabel Moreno, North Korean shooter Kim Jong Su, Vietnamese gymnast Do Thi Ngan Thuong and Greek athlete Fani Halkia failed tests - but by far the most high profile.

BBC Radio 5 Live sports news correspondent Gordon Farquhar says the IOC is yet to confirm the drug Blonska has tested positive for but that she's unlikely to be reprieved by the B sample.

"In 99% or more of cases, the B sample confirms the A sample," said Farquhar. "Often an athlete who knows they've been caught with their hands in the till don't tend to ask for it to be tested because they know it's a waste of time."

Under by-laws adhered to by the Olympic associations of Great Britain, Norway and China, those found guilty of drug offences receive a lifetime ban from any subsequent Games.

Sotherton has repeatedly denounced Blonska, most prominently after the Ukrainian beat her to the silver medal in the 2007 world championships in Osaka, where the Brit came third.

Had Blonska tested positive in 2003 under current anti-doping rules, she would have received a four year ban and denied the opportunity to compete in the following Olympics.

But at the time she tested positive, a more lenient regime was in place and she received a two-year ban from athletics - but no Olympic ban.

Medical experts have suggested Blonska may still be benefiting from the effects of stanozolol and, upon returning from her ban, she raised her personal best from 6,316 points to 6,832 points.

"I'm not happy she competed again," said Sotherton earlier this week. "We have rules in our country that we abide by.

"We don't bring anybody who cheated previously, so why should any other country? I'd have been really upset if she'd won gold.

Britain's former Olympic champion Denise Lewis says she will be glad to see the back of Blonska.

"She's been caught once before and I'm all for giving people one more chance but it's obvious that if you're going to cheat you probably will always be a cheat, and I'm glad she'll be gone from the sport for good," Lewis told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth considering the girls give everything in the heptathlon. She shouldn't have been taking part in the heptathlon and good riddance.

"You would think she'd learn her lesson but obviously the temptation, whether it's the money, it attracts these people to cheating.

Lewis, who won heptathlon gold at Sydney 2000, added: "It's utterly disgusting and it has spoilt the heptathlon for me."

Kapaibro
08-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Bolt doubles up, and takes the WR into a head wind!

OB
08-20-2008, 11:10 AM
I think China cheats :coffee:

I watched some of the balance beam and the score they gave that girl was insane - she did one of the worst jobs ive seen - only thing she didnt do was fall off - she wobbled the whole time -

And they let that 13 year old keep her medal - not fair - a rule is a rule -

Thnikkaman
08-20-2008, 11:25 AM
I think China cheats :coffee:

I watched some of the balance beam and the score they gave that girl was insane - she did one of the worst jobs ive seen - only thing she didnt do was fall off - she wobbled the whole time -

And they let that 13 year old keep her medal - not fair - a rule is a rule -

Did they prove she was 13?

OB
08-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Did they prove she was 13?

It depends on where you look and who you ask

To me its obvious she isnt 16 - i know the asians look younger but not THAT young - and do you see the look the other girls give china when they are announced - damnnnnn

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-flumenbaum/scandal-of-the-ages-docum_b_118842.html

If any documents he found are valid - i would say it seems so

But on another note - it apparently is common practice - so what can you do

The scores on the beam pissed me off more - that was such a bias score - the announcers never stopped talking about it

NameUsedBefore
08-20-2008, 05:31 PM
I thought the American should've won the bars event. He was getting so much air and the 'danger' of his moves were so much worse than the Chinese guy who went laissez-faire on the matter.

Maybe I just don't "get" gymnastics, but half the scores have been totally bizarre to me.

Slick
08-20-2008, 05:48 PM
I haven't seen much of the coverage this year, but we all know people will get medals stripped/have dirty tests.

It sucks sooo bad for the clean athletes. The ones who never got to hear their anthem played, or get their time on the podium. They will never get that back.

Kapaibro
08-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Four horses that contested the Olympic show jumping event have tested positive for the banned substance capsaicin.

Ireland's Denis Lynch, riding the horse Lantinus in the individual events, has been suspended from the Games.

Norway's Tony Andre Hansen on Camiro, Brazil's Bernardo Alves on Chupa Chup and Germany's Christian Ahlmann on Coster have also been suspended.

Lynch, Hansen and Alves were all scheduled to compete in Thursday's individual competition.

Ahlmann was not entered into the event.

Lynch has been competing as an individual because Ireland did not qualify for the team competition.

If the horses' B sample tests confirm their A samples, their countries will be disqualified from the team show jumping, which took place on Monday.

The announcement throws into doubt the medal order of that competition.

Norway won a bronze medal, its first ever placing in an Olympics equestrian event, while the United States took gold and Canada silver.

In its statement, the International Equestrian Federation (FEI) said the four horses had been "provisionally suspended by the FEI further to doping/medication control tests that indicated the present of capsaicin in each horse".

"Capsaicin is classified as a 'doping' prohibited substance given its hypersensitising properties, and as a 'medication class A' prohibited substance for its pain relieving properties."

The development casts another shadow over the equestrian after positive drugs tests forced a medal re-allocation at the 2004 Athens Games.

Germany were stripped of the team jumping gold in Athens after the horse ridden by Ludger Beerbaum, who is a lynchpin of his country's team in Beijing, was disqualified for a positive test.

Also in Athens, the Irishman Cian O'Connor was stripped of his individual gold medal on Waterford Crystal.

BBC equestrian commentator Michael Tucker told BBC Radio 5 Live: "It's very bad news all round, particularly as two of them were highly thought of as individual medals and all four riders are world-class jockeys.

"Capsaicin is basically rubbed onto the front of the legs and it makes the horses pick up their legs.

"The testing facilities and laboratories here in Hong Kong are second to none in the world class. The B samples are going to be carried out very, very quickly indeed.

"Norway will drop out of the medals and Switzerland will come up."

Sensitising your horse makes it less inclined to hit the fences. I have heard of some riders putting nails, barbed wire, and even roadkill hedgehogs in rails to train the horse to lift it's legs.

Thnikkaman
08-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Four horses that contested the Olympic show jumping event have tested positive for the banned substance capsaicin.

Ireland's Denis Lynch, riding the horse Lantinus in the individual events, has been suspended from the Games.

Norway's Tony Andre Hansen on Camiro, Brazil's Bernardo Alves on Chupa Chup and Germany's Christian Ahlmann on Coster have also been suspended.

Lynch, Hansen and Alves were all scheduled to compete in Thursday's individual competition.

Ahlmann was not entered into the event.

Lynch has been competing as an individual because Ireland did not qualify for the team competition.

If the horses' B sample tests confirm their A samples, their countries will be disqualified from the team show jumping, which took place on Monday.

The announcement throws into doubt the medal order of that competition.

Norway won a bronze medal, its first ever placing in an Olympics equestrian event, while the United States took gold and Canada silver.

In its statement, the International Equestrian Federation (FEI) said the four horses had been "provisionally suspended by the FEI further to doping/medication control tests that indicated the present of capsaicin in each horse".

"Capsaicin is classified as a 'doping' prohibited substance given its hypersensitising properties, and as a 'medication class A' prohibited substance for its pain relieving properties."

The development casts another shadow over the equestrian after positive drugs tests forced a medal re-allocation at the 2004 Athens Games.

Germany were stripped of the team jumping gold in Athens after the horse ridden by Ludger Beerbaum, who is a lynchpin of his country's team in Beijing, was disqualified for a positive test.

Also in Athens, the Irishman Cian O'Connor was stripped of his individual gold medal on Waterford Crystal.

BBC equestrian commentator Michael Tucker told BBC Radio 5 Live: "It's very bad news all round, particularly as two of them were highly thought of as individual medals and all four riders are world-class jockeys.

"Capsaicin is basically rubbed onto the front of the legs and it makes the horses pick up their legs.

"The testing facilities and laboratories here in Hong Kong are second to none in the world class. The B samples are going to be carried out very, very quickly indeed.

"Norway will drop out of the medals and Switzerland will come up."

Sensitising your horse makes it less inclined to hit the fences. I have heard of some riders putting nails, barbed wire, and even roadkill hedgehogs in rails to train the horse to lift it's legs.

Who ever knew that chili peppers would be a banned substance in the olympics.

Kapaibro
08-21-2008, 09:00 AM
In other news, Shawn Merritt beat Jeremy Wariner in the 400m final. It was a USA 1,2,3.

And the USA men's and women's team are both out of the 4x100m relay finals after dropping the baton on the last change over.

Defending men's champs UK are out after their last runner went off too soon.

Stargazer
08-21-2008, 01:22 PM
I thought the American should've won the bars event. He was getting so much air and the 'danger' of his moves were so much worse than the Chinese guy who went laissez-faire on the matter.

Maybe I just don't "get" gymnastics, but half the scores have been totally bizarre to me.

The judging has been pretty bad this Olympics in regards to gymnastics. I have also noticed it in the diving competitions.

They have definately been pro China.

Kapaibro
08-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Lyudmila Blonska was stripped of her Olympic heptathlon silver medal Friday, the highest-profile athlete kicked out of the Beijing Games so far for doping.

The International Olympic Committee said Blonska tested positive for the steroid methyltestosterone after finishing second in the heptathlon last Saturday behind teammate Nataliia Dobrynska.

Blonska was temporarily suspended by the IOC on Thursday, and her medal was officially removed Friday by the IOC executive board.

Blonska, who blamed her coach and husband for the positive test, also was dropped from Friday’s long jump final after finishing third in qualifying earlier in the week. Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare advanced to the final in her place and won the bronze medal Friday.

The IOC also has asked the International Association of Athletics Federations to adjust the heptathlon results and consider further sanctions against Blonska.

The Ukrainian Olympic committee was ordered to return Blonska’s medal “as soon as possible.”

American Hyleas Fountain is in line to take the silver, with Russia’s Tatiana Chernova moving from fourth to bronze.

The IOC also reserved the right to take sanctions against Blonska’s coach and husband, Sergei Blonsky.

The 30-year-old Blonska faces a lifetime ban for a second doping offense. She was suspended from 2003-05 for using the steroid stanozolol.

Blonska’s backup “B” sample came back positive Thursday.

The IOC said she expressed “shock” at the results and couldn’t understand how the banned substance wound up in her system. Though she apologized and said she felt ashamed, Blonska blamed her husband, who has served as her coach for five years, for the failed doping test.

“She expressed that she trusted him to take care of her training and diet,” the IOC said. “She indicated that they had expressly agreed that she would not take any prohibited substances. However, her relationship with her husband was currently conflictual.”

Blonska’s expulsion was welcomed by Carolina Kluft, the 2004 Olympic heptathlon champion who finished ninth in the long jump Friday.

“She doesn’t deserve my thought,” the Swede said. “I am just happy she got caught and is out of the sport forever.”

Britain’s Kelly Sotherton, who moves up to fourth in the heptathlon results, had complained for months that Blonska should be barred from the Olympics because of her previous doping record.

“It’s great news, even if it’s quite negative,” she said. “It’s great news for my event and the other girls, especially as there was a medal on the line and hopefully that’s the last of her. I won’t have to talk about her again or compete against her again.”

Blonska is the biggest name among the five athletes who have tested positive so far at the games and is the second to be stripped of a medal. Previously disqualified were Greek hurdler Fani Halkia, North Korean shooter Kim Jong Su, Spanish cyclist Isabel Moreno and Vietnamese gymnast Thi Ngan Thuong Do. Kim was stripped of silver and bronze medals.

The IOC has carried out more than 4,600 doping tests so far, and the figure is expected to surpass 5,000 by the close of the games Sunday night.

Ukrainian team officials apologized for Blonska’s positive test but suggested it was an “extraordinary case” because of her husband’s role.

The IOC said Ukrainian officials should investigate his behavior and report back to the committee. A hearing on the case is scheduled be held in the Ukraine next Friday.