PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Returns To Familiar Ground For Debut

Den21vsBal19
08-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Nice little article on Alridge from the RMN

HOUSTON — In the time it takes to bounce through the words and reach the period at the end of this sentence, Anthony Alridge hopes he has already done something to make you go hmm.

Something to impress, something to remember, something fast, very fast.

"People called me 'Quick Six' in college," Alridge said. "That's the way I play, that's my thing. My goal is to put on a show and do it enough times I can make this team."

Alridge, an undrafted Broncos rookie, talks fast, runs fast, catches fast.

In short, he is a don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-it player, trying to blaze his way onto the Broncos' roster for the regular-season opener in Oakland.

The former University of Houston running back gets his first crack at the preseason tonight, in Reliant Stadium against the Texans, in front of as many family and friends as can snare tickets.

"People are going to love to watch him run. I mean, I love to watch him run," Broncos running back Andre Hall said. "I hope he stays around."

And the flurry of numbers tell at least some of Alridge's story:

* His 4.36 electronically timed 40-yard dash at the scouting combine in February, one of the fastest of any prospect.

* And 5-foot-9 and 170 pounds, his height and weight at the combine.

"I know that's it, I know that's why I didn't get drafted," Alridge said. "I know that's why some people say I can't play. People didn't see what I did, they just saw my size. But once coaches get to know me, I'm as tough they come, that's how I feel.

"I've always been the smaller guy, I've always been one of the smallest people out on the field playing one of the toughest positions. I'm always going to be, but I'm still playing and I'm going to keep playing."

The Broncos long have been the league's Ellis Island for running backs. A place of equality and hope for those who are a tad slower on the stopwatches, for those who are vertically challenged, for those who yearn to be in a professional huddle.

"They only care how you run here," Hall said. "That's it. Show them you can perform, you'll carry the ball. They don't care where you came from."

Alridge is hoping to be next in line in a backfield that features three undrafted players among the top three runners on the depth chart (Selvin Young and Hall are the others).

Rookie Ryan Torain's injury has removed him from the mix for the time being.

Alridge, a wide receiver when he began his career for the Cougars, has flashed his top-end speed and ability to cut at full tilt in Broncos workouts.

"We liked him coming out. We think he was a guy who carried the ball a lot, ran tough and had that big-time speed," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "And he was a receiver, so you know he can catch the ball."

Alridge moved to running back in 2006 and promptly led the nation in yards per carry - at 10.1 - on his way to 959 yards rushing. This past season, he lugged the ball 259 times on the way to 1,597 yards - 6.2 per carry - as well as 14 touchdowns.

He also caught 42 passes, including five for touchdowns. Those rushing numbers compare favorably to the five running backs selected in the first round in April.

"He shows you his toughness all the time," Hall said. "He doesn't care, he just sticks his face up in there. Sometimes he gets hit pretty hard and gets knocked back, but he gets up and just goes again."

But for Alridge or anyone else to carry the ball for the Broncos, they have to convince running backs coach Bobby Turner they will live by the offense's credo for the position: They get one cut and must get up the field.

Alridge also is learning patience, keeping himself behind his blockers instead of bolting out before they have engaged the waiting defenders.

"(Turner) likes you to get the ball back to the line of scrimmage as fast as you can and look for the lane to run in," Alridge said. "He tells us all the time there's only been one Barry Sanders in the league, and he's retired. He wants us to be us, he doesn't want to be a player killer, but we also can't be coach killers, we've got to listen to him. And on certain plays, we have to be patient, we can't outrun the blockers. I always outrun the offensive line because I just want to get there right now, use my speed. Speed kills, but speed can also kill you if you run out there without any blocking."

Tonight will be the third time Alridge has performed in Reliant Stadium, having played the Cougars' 2006 season opener against Oregon and the Texas Bowl against Texas Christian last December.

He said he expects at least 10 family members, possibly more, to be in the stands, along with "a lot, a lot, a lot" of friends from the University of Houston.

"Hopefully, they get a show and I get a few carries," Alridge said. "Because they know I don't need to have the pads off to run fast. I can run fast with the pads on, as fast as when I got them off. They say you're just a track guy, but I'm a football player, that's why I play this game. I love football, I don't try to shy away from contact.

"I don't shy away from anything."