PDA

View Full Version : 1994-2010: Denver Coach Parallels

Shazam!
10-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Early in Week 4 in 1994, Denver got demolished at home to the then LA Raiders 48-16 (or thereabouts).

Some people were saying "See? I told you Denver never should've fired Dan Reeves! He was a winner! At least he won here and got us to Super Bowls!"

I see similar parallels here.

Shanahan deserved to get fired after years of mediocrity, and had only won one division title and one playoff game in Denver a decade after John Elway retired. That is not success.

I haven't forgotten blowouts that were very similar to this game in 2007 (Detroit and SD), and the monumental collapse in 2008, which were equally embarassing as any losses we may experience now. Just because Denver bought in the wrong guy doesn't mean he shouldn't have been fired.

Shanahan's possible successes in Washington shouldn't be a gauge either. He has a QB that is better than any post-Elway QB, and a change in scenery will do wonders for a Coach. He also came into a team that had talent, however misutilized it was.

Then the question is who do we replace McD with?

I just posted this because I see many paralells to 1994, I didnt want to turn this into a bash Shanny/McD/pro-McD thread. Just thought of the many similarities.

Elevation inc
10-24-2010, 05:19 PM
i dont know maybe gruden???? or some college coach...who knows cant think straight right now....

Shazam!
10-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Marty?

Cowher didnt want to come here after Shanny as they are friends.

Maybe now?

Gruden?

I dont know.

Ive always gave McD the benefit of the doubt, but after this?

Northman
10-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Give me Cowher or Gruden. This shit is unacceptable.

MasterShake
10-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Marty?

Cowher didnt want to come here after Shanny as they are friends.

Maybe now?

Gruden?

I dont know.

Ive always gave McD the benefit of the doubt, but after this?

Even going down 14-0, there was ABSOLUTELY no way we should have lost our character like we did. I really wanted to blame this on bad breaks, but even without those I think the Raiders beat us today. At this point I am pretty numb. McDaniels has lost a TON of respect from me today, and I am a huge homer. Only winning out would make me feel better, and we know that is not gonna happen if we are this damaged.

Dean
10-24-2010, 06:04 PM
48-16 would be a huge improvement over this debacle. :tsk:

Oakland Raiders set a franchise record. How sad is that???

Ravage!!!
10-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Give me Cowher or Gruden. This shit is unacceptable.

Cowher AND Gruden.. and give me Schottenheimer as our person in charge of player personnel...and I'll be giggling like a school girl.

silkamilkamonico
10-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Cowher's overrated and is olike a poor version of Brian Billick.

John Gruden ftmfwin!!

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
10-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Tom Coughlin might be on the market... i don't think hes that great but he might be out there
Cowher won't come here
I do not want an unproven college coach

AgentOrange
10-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Ugh...please not Couglin.

I'm just going to throw this out there and see what you guys think. If Singletary was fired at the end of the season do you think he'd be a better fit? Yeah, maybe he's failed in Ninerland, but some of that's Alex Smith's brilliant inconsistency. And I sure wouldn't mind a defensive HC next time around.

Dirk
10-24-2010, 07:11 PM
The sky hasn't fallen completely yet, although cracks are definately showing.

Let's see how McD handles this. And see what kind of character the team has.

On a side note. I would take Gruden and a REAL defensive coordinator.

titan
10-24-2010, 08:07 PM
I was at the game today and the wade phillips oakland home loss in 1994. Today was worse, though both games were similar. Broncos totally outclassed.

I have not given up on McD yet but I must admit I am having doubts. Today when the Raiders were repeatedly scoring in the first half McD was off to the side staring at his clipboard, not talking to anyone. They commented about this on the radio broadcast too.

Jim Zorn was 6-2 after his first 8 games with the Redskins, was 4-12 his second year, and was gone. Bowlen will probably give McD at least one more year though.

Northman
10-24-2010, 08:10 PM
The sky hasn't fallen completely yet, although cracks are definately showing.

Let's see how McD handles this. And see what kind of character the team has.

On a side note. I would take Gruden and a REAL defensive coordinator.

I would take Gruden and Nolan back.

red98
10-24-2010, 08:27 PM
I would take Gruden and Nolan back.

I think Gruden might end up in Chicago next year. Just a hunch.

red98
10-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Cowher AND Gruden.. and give me Schottenheimer as our person in charge of player personnel...and I'll be giggling like a school girl.

Schottenheimer JR. might be a good one. He's gotten better over the years and his time with Sexy Rexy should have taught him a few things.

Ravage!!!
10-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Schottenheimer JR. might be a good one. He's gotten better over the years and his time with Sexy Rexy should have taught him a few things.

He's the OC with the Jets.... but I'm talking about SR, for being in charge of player personnel, not for calling plays.

Shazam!
10-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Im surprised people wouldnt be happy with Tom Coughlin (not saying I want him though).

Built a pretty decent team in NYG, won a Super Bowl, was quick to get a Manning not named Peyton.

Shazam!
10-24-2010, 08:34 PM
He's the OC with the Jets.... but I'm talking about SR, for being in charge of player personnel, not for calling plays.

I think I'd rather go with a proven commodity type of Coach rather than an inexperienced assistant again.

I know the proven Coaches out there are few, but...

TXBRONC
10-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Im surprised people wouldnt be happy with Tom Coughlin (not saying I want him though).

Built a pretty decent team in NYG, won a Super Bowl, was quick to get a Manning not named Peyton.

Actually he wouldn't have had Manning if it wasn't for the fact that Eli refused to play for the Chargers. Also IIRC the Giants actually drafted Rivers with the 5th overall pick.

Shazam!
10-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Actually he wouldn't have had Manning if it wasn't for the fact that Eli refused to play for the Chargers. Also IIRC the Giants actually drafted Rivers with the 5th overall pick.

No, you're right. But IIRC that was the plan all along, at least was reported in NY.

TXBRONC
10-24-2010, 08:47 PM
No, you're right. But IIRC that was the plan all along, at least was reported in NY.

I remember each team claiming that they liked other team's quarterback better. But I wonder if that trade happens if Eli doesn't raise a stink about playing for the Chargers?

red98
10-24-2010, 08:52 PM

Yes (4th pick though). They got LDT out of the trade as well if I'm not mistaken.