PDA

View Full Version : Mile High Mistake

DenverDave
10-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Evidently, at 2 and 5, (and unless there's a huge comeback by the Broncos, it will be 2 and 6), the huge mistake of firing Mike Shanahan because he had a few not up to par seasons, is coming back to bite Pat Bolen where the sun doesn't shine. When a coach (and the team) brings you the only two (back-to-back) Super Bowl victories, has been loyal to the organization, you need to remember that Mr. Bowlen. I totally disagreed with that decision! All I can say is, Josh McDaniel needs to wake up, go back to the drawing board, or this type of season is going to repeat itself. I LOVE THE BRONCOS! But I can't stand to see what's become of them this season. I hope thigs will certainly improve QUICKLY!

camdisco24
10-24-2010, 04:45 PM
You know, after last weeks solid performance against a very good team, I just dont understand whats going on right now. We are NOT this terrible, there is no excuse for whats happening on the field right now.

Dean
10-24-2010, 05:09 PM
You know, after last weeks solid performance against a very good team, I just dont understand whats going on right now. We are NOT this terrible, there is no excuse for whats happening on the field right now.

It looks to me like we came into the game unprepared for the Raiders' speed in the run game and with mismatches against our LBs. We have been out schemed and are playing in an unmotivated and careless manner. Translation- we aren't ready to play.

PS. Maybe they will suffer enough injuries to make the game interesting. I don't see any other way.

Superchop 7
10-24-2010, 05:39 PM
The coaches and players are pathetic today.

Somebody has to go, start with Xanders.

MasterShake
10-24-2010, 05:42 PM
This team is not built to come back from 14 or 21 late in the game, but damn near impossible in the first ******* quarter.

claymore
10-24-2010, 06:04 PM
I think as fans we deserve a statement from Bowlen. I want to know wtf the boss is going to do to correct this mess.

Today was embarrasing.

Mike
10-24-2010, 06:09 PM
I think as fans we deserve a statement from Bowlen. I want to know wtf the boss is going to do to correct this mess.

Today was embarrasing.

At the least he should give the fans that attended the game a refund.

Hardwired
10-24-2010, 06:15 PM
We usually wait until the end of the season to fold. Now we're doing it in the middle.

Dreadnought
10-24-2010, 06:21 PM
We usually wait until the end of the season to fold. Now we're doing it in the middle.

In this case its just a continuation of last year's fold. We are 4-13 since the Bye of 2009. This is now just a bad football team

claymore
10-24-2010, 06:26 PM
In this case its just a continuation of last year's fold. We are 4-13 since the Bye of 2009. This is now just a bad football team

Happy 16,000'th post! :partyhat:

Joel
10-24-2010, 06:30 PM
I've never actually been by the Cowboys boards, despite them being one of the four teams that I like, but I suspect they've looked pretty much like this thread for the past few years. I still say four years, preferably five, for a new head coach. Yet I greatly fear that's just going to mean a couple good draft picks the next few years (figures we FINALLY have a shot at a high pick to make up for missing the post-season when there's no CBA).

I was working like a dog and very busy personally last year, and I live in TX, so I didn't see many Broncos games; I worked every other Sunday, and couldn't get by here pretty much at all. My impression of the season, however, after the shock of losing Culer, was that we started very well because McDaniels had all sorts of tricks, techniques and styles no one but Belichick had ever seen, and some even he hadn't (McDaniels is no idiot, and wouldn't have taken the Denver job if he hadn't wanted to be a head coach some day). That always gives a big offensive edge, because the game ultimately favors offense anyway. They get to start the play as well as call it, and the defense can't even be on their side of the ball until the snap, plus a quarter can't end on a defensive penalty. Heck, even the worst penalty short of forfeit is a TD; that help the offense or defense?

Seasons are like games in many ways though; times passage alters both as coaches and players practice and play against each other. After other teams can start to notice "when it's x and y they do z" you better have a lot of different things to do on different downs or you're toast. Maybe McDaniels or his coordinators ran out of plays or the players ran out of gas or whatever. Fact is, this guy's a year and a half younger than ME, even if he did grow up coaching. Supposedly his pedigree before he got to NE was defensive, which explains a lot, but his offense frankly sputters. His backs are mediocre on a good day, his line has several holes, and his tight ends are MIA. His defense usually plays well, at least for the first part of the season, but his offense struggles often, is often third and long and, worst of all, can't convert short yardage, especially at the goal line. Two weeks ago I DID see a game, and I saw Josh McDaniels go for it on fourth down at least three times I recall, twice at the goal line, but watching the offense stumble into the D I just thought Y'know, going for it when your good offense just needs one more shot is good, but when you're always stuffed you just fail four times instead of three.

Just now as I'm typing this the Bolts are trying to come back from 17 down against the Pats, had 2nd and 1 from the SD 5. So Rivers snaps it, his line instantly shoves the Pats two yards, he follows right behind, they move their legs, he shoves 'em forward and he's tackled at the goal line. Two passes, then a back up the gut, knee down half a yard into the end zone: 23-20 Pats. Kicked out of bounds, and they're probably screwed with <4:00, but their line delivered the come back TD, basically twice. No finesse, no trick plays, just boom, shove, TD.

We don't do that. It's not the backs either; Maroney produced, and so did Buckhalte; Hillis and Torain do now. Hillis, Torain (though he has the advantage, along with Portis, of playing for a certain coach), Marshall, Scheff and Cutler are likely Pro Bowlers, and it's hard not to look at that and then our offense without wondering what kind of "system" couldn't turn a half dozen Pro Bowlers into a solid offense. Incidentally, regarding line play: Bolts just stuffed Belichick 4th and 1 at the SD 40, drove down and had a 45 yd FG--then a false start made it 50 and he doinked it of the upright: 23-20 Pats, final. Their line lost the game in the end.

Four years. His line's VERY young, but shows some promise; his tackles are both solid, his center seems pretty good, and hopefully they'll have the experience that he can put two or three solid guards with them next year and have a back that knows how to run behind them. The whole line shows good talent, and if this season's a bust we should have at least one or two good draft picks (assuming there's another season). If the offense keeps the D off the field it both keeps them fresh and prevents other coaches seeing our defensive schemes. But after another year or two of that, of trades and free agency, that should give us, say, a couple draft starters, free agents and draftees. If you get a half dozen or so good players like that each year, in two years you ought to have half a team wort of starters. Put that with DJ, Doom, Ayers, Dawkins, Champ, Lloyd, Kuper, Clady, Orton and Moreno or Maroney that's a team's worth of starters. We'll see what happens....