PDA

View Full Version : Holland to practice on Monday; Marshall and Cutler try new helmets

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Broncos report: Lighter lineman Holland to return to practice Monday

By Lee Rasizer

Originally published 12:51 p.m., August 8, 2008
Updated 12:55 p.m., August 8, 2008

ENGLEWOOD — Montrae Holland's exile is nearly over.

A 16-game starter for the Broncos at right guard last year, Holland will return to practice Monday after spending two weeks working alone on his conditioning and shedding weight.

"He's been working extremely hard and he's watched his diet so that weight will come down here fairly quickly," coach Mike Shanahan said. "More important than anything, he'll practice better now and hopefully not get injured."

Holland reported to camp about nine pounds over his assigned 325-pound target weight. But when water weight is factored into the equation, he might have had to shed as much as twice that total.

"I feel a lot better," Holland said Friday, adding, "It's been a long two weeks for me."

Holland's daily routine has included the ritual pushing of a weighted sled on an adjacent field for 90 minutes or more, in addition to extensive cardiovascular work in the weight room with strength coach Rich Tuten.

It's safe to say Holland will appreciate returning to the huddle, both for workouts with teammates and against the Dallas Cowboys next week.

"I felt I let them down in a sense," Holland said of his teammates. "I'm going to try and get back and make it up to them."

Holland wouldn't give his exact weight now but admitted he has shed considerable pounds.

While he has been out, Chris Kuper has been running with the first team at right guard and Ryan Harris at right tackle.

Shanahan would say only that he'll play his best five linemen, which would seem to indicate Holland can still work his way back with the No. 1 offense.

"I'm not worried about that," Holland responded. "I just want to get back on the field, knock the rust off, and everything else will take care of itself."

Holland made the trip to Houston and will suit up for tonight's exhibition opener (6 MDT, CBS4) in case of an emergency.

The Marshall plan

Rookie receiver Eddie Royal, who has had a stellar camp, will start opposite Brandon Marshall vs. the Texans.

But one ancillary reason Royal will get the nod over Darrell Jackson, who had been running with the first team for most of camp, is that Jackson is preparing himself for Marshall's pending suspension.

Jackson had been working all camp at the "Z" position, the flanker spot on the tight-end side, off the ball, where Royal now works.

But this week, Jackson switched to the "X," or split-end position, where Marshall is the starter until his two- to three-game suspension kicks in, beginning with the regular-season opener Sept. 9.

"I've got to get some work at 'X' because the first two or three games Brandon won't be there," Jackson said. "So I have to get a little more experience at the position."

Jackson hasn't been as flashy as Royal the past couple of weeks. But he has been the beneficiary of a light schedule in Denver's camp and also improved health. Jackson battled the aftereffects for most of two seasons from a severe case of turf toe.

"I'm way more confident," Jackson said, comparing this summer to last year in San Francisco. "I'm getting into a little bit of a rhythm catching balls, so it's pretty cool."

New gear

Quarterback Jay Cutler and Marshall have been wearing the Riddell Revolution Speed helmet in camp, a model that offers extra padding designed to help guard against concussions.

"We're just trying some new stuff out," Cutler said.

Marshall, though, already has decided to wear the helmet in games.

"You know I always want to try something new," he explained.

Line 'em up

Nate Webster will start at middle linebacker, but Niko Koutouvides also will get time with the starting defense. The two have virtually split time during camp.

"It's very close, and obviously practice and game situations will dictate who will start, but I feel good about both of them," Shanahan said.

Dre' Bly, the normal starter at right cornerback, will serve as the nickel back only after suffering an upper arm injury this week. And with Champ Bailey (hamstring) also sitting, Domonique Foxworth and Karl Paymah will be the first-team corners.

At defensive tackle, where Dewayne Robertson is being held out as a precaution, Kenny Peterson gets the assignment next to Marcus Thomas in the base package, with Ebenezer Ekuban and Josh Mallard - in place of Robertson - playing on obvious passing downs.

Safety Hamza Abdullah (groin) is out, with Marquand Manuel taking his place.

Nate Jackson, over Tony Scheffler, will pair with Daniel Graham in two tight-end sets.

The offensive line is somewhat shorthanded. Center Tom Nalen won't play with a knee injury. Tackle Erik Pears has been slowed by a lower back problem.

Look for rookie left tackle Ryan Clady to play more than the other starters, since the Broncos are trying to get him up to speed as he plays his first NFL preseason game. Tyler Polumbus, an undrafted free agent from the University of Colorado, also is expected to get extensive action in a reserve role.

GEM
08-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Holland made the trip to Houston and will suit up for tonight's exhibition opener (6 MDT, CBS4) in case of an emergency.

Eh?? Thought it was tomorrow night?

BroncoWave
08-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Eh?? Thought it was tomorrow night?

You're right, it is.

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2008, 04:46 PM
it is. I've seen a pot of writing mistakes lately. Writers need to get their stuff together.

GEM
08-08-2008, 04:46 PM
You're right, it is.

Thank you. I went on a mad search because I thought I was losing my mind. :lol:

BroncoWave
08-08-2008, 05:02 PM

Well, you still may be losing your mind! :lol:

pnbronco
08-08-2008, 06:45 PM

I thought the same thing. I went to the other site right away and looked it up, so I figured I would check just in case. Thanks Gem you made me feel better, thinking I was the only one going crazy.

Hobe
08-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Oh gawd! The first PS game! It's been soooooo lone! Get me a bag, I might hyperventilate!

:laugh::D:laugh::D:laugh: