PDA

View Full Version : Champ and Robertson to sit out vs Houston

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2008, 01:58 PM
After the Broncos' brief walkthrough this morning, coach Mike Shanahan said cornerback Champ Bailey and defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson will be held out of the opening preseason game Saturday night at Houston against the Texans.

Bailey didn't practice most of the week because of a hamstring problem.
Robertson, acquired in the offseason from the New York Jets, has battled a chronic knee problem the past few seasons.

"We've been going two-a-day practices, he's getting his condition level, and I think it would be a mistake to play him at this time," Shanahan said of Robertson, who was listed as the starter at defensive tackle on the Broncos' first depth chart, issued on Monday.

"He's making some tremendous strides," Shanahan added. "I just don't want to throw him out there too quick. We'll see how he practices against Dallas next week and determine if he'll play in that game. For sure, it'll be against Green Bay."

The Cowboys will be in Denver next week for practice work with the Broncos at Dove Valley on Wednesday and Thursday, then for the Aug. 16 game at Invesco Field.

Shanahan also said that starting cornerback Drč Bly would be used only in the nickel package against the Texans. "He's bumped up a little bit," Shanahan said. "We feel like he can go in the nickel package and get some continuity in our 45 defense."

Although offensive tackle Montrae Holland still hasn't practiced after reporting to camp overweight, Shanahan said Holland would make the trip to Houston and suit up. Shanahan said that was a change of plans because of some minor injuries on the offensive line, including tackle Erik Pears' sore lower back. He said Holland would only play in an emergency situation. More significantly, Shanahan indicated that Holland likely would begin practicing next week.

"He's done a good job with his conditioning in the morning, he's worked extremely hard, and he's watched his diet, so his weight will come down," Shanahan said.

The 6 p.m. game at Reliant Stadium will be televised on Denver's KCNC, Channel 4.

shank
08-08-2008, 02:04 PM
i hope champ's hammy doesn't linger this year...

and i hope D-wayne plays against the cowboys, i really want to be there to see him in action.

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2008, 02:07 PM
I think that Champ is probably just taking some days off. He's probably been able to practice the last few days but is sitting out just because he can afford to. It helps the younger players get more reps, and there's no need for him to play in the 1st game of the pre-season. I'm sure we'll see Dewayne and Champ both against Dallas.

LRtagger
08-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Will the game be televised nation-wide?

I know the NFL shut down TVN broadcasts, but surely there is a new web-based broadcasting system this year...anyone heard anything?

honz
08-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Will the game be televised nation-wide?

I know the NFL shut down TVN broadcasts, but surely there is a new web-based broadcasting system this year...anyone heard anything?
Yeah, I would love to be able to watch this somehow.

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2008, 02:15 PM
the Broncos-Texans game will be shown on NFLN on Sunday Night, so you'll have to wait another day (and so will I unfortunately). The only chance I see of seeing it streamed or something is the site http://myp2p.eu/ Someone told me to check there around game time to see if someone has a stream.

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2008, 02:17 PM
More than likely though, I'll be stuck watching the lines go up and down the field at nfl.com and looking at the conversation going on here on the site.

shank
08-08-2008, 02:18 PM
i'm a happy NFLN owner.

i'm going to get the neighbor to DVR it so i can study it! i'm very excited.

LRtagger
08-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Direct has a special right now for new customers and the NFL package. I am VERY tempted to sign up.

underrated29
08-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Direct has a special right now for new customers and the NFL package. I am VERY tempted to sign up.

YES THEY DO1!!1 I cant go into great detail as a family member works for thier competition, but if you sign up for their premium package.

you get waived the installation and setup fees, plus you get

NFL SUNDAY TICKET, and all the movie channels stars.hbo etc. its like 75 a month for the 1st 4 months and after that it goes up to like 100, but you can downgrade to 59 or something and still keep NFL TICKET for the remainder of the year.

I wanted to sign up for Sunday TICKET-even though we get free dish. Thats some serious value there. I was told that sunday ticket is normally like 300.

OOOH i want sunday ticket. Stupid dish, let your own have it, please.

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I have Directv and the Sunday ticket but they still won't show the game live which sucks. If you live outside Colorado or Houston you have to wait until Sunday night to see it and that's only if you have NFL network

Lonestar
08-08-2008, 05:04 PM
I have Directv and the Sunday ticket but they still won't show the game live which sucks. If you live outside Colorado or Houston you have to wait until Sunday night to see it and that's only if you have NFL network

better than a poke in the eye with a sharpe stick..

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2008, 05:29 PM
That's true. I'm not complaining by any means. I get ALL of the games when they start playing on Sunday's and that's what really matters!

dogfish
08-08-2008, 05:31 PM

don't think, just do it!