PDA

View Full Version : Story on DJ Williams

broncobryce
10-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Broncos' Williams keeps low profile off gridiron while making an impact

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16411480?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%29

You won't hear D.J. Williams hosting a show on the radio or see him on television commercials. You won't see his face on billboards, shilling for any shoe company.

Even if you were to see him around Denver, there's a good chance you wouldn't recognize him.

"I've been out with Champ (Bailey) and some friends, and people think I'm security," Williams said. "It's weird."

How is it that a player who has started as many games for the Broncos as anyone over the last seven years — his 92 starts tie Bailey for the most since 2004 — could still be the most anonymous?

Well, it's exactly the way Williams likes it.

"When I go out, if I'm out at a restaurant or out having fun, I just kind of want to blend in," Williams said.

Yet Williams is hardly hidden on the field this season. With chaos elsewhere — with injuries to Elvis Dumervil in training camp and starters Brian Dawkins, Robert Ayers and Andre Goodman during the season — perhaps no player has been as important to the Broncos' defense as Williams. He leads the team with 56 total tackles, including 41 solo, and has a team-high 2 1/2 sacks.

When the Broncos are in their base 3-4 scheme, Williams is at the inside weakside position — called the Jack linebacker spot. From there, he is the primary tackler in the run defense. He'll also blitz at times or drop back in pass coverage, sometimes singled-up against the opposing tight end or against a running back who might be on a pass pattern.

"He's one of my favorite players that I think I've ever been around. He's at times very quiet, but I don't know that anybody has any more respect than D.J. does," coach Josh McDaniels said. "I think he's one of the best linebackers in pro football. That's how I feel about him because he makes such a huge impact in every phase of the game. . . . He's a well- rounded player and really looks like he's playing in the prime of his career."

Broncos defensive coordinator Don "Wink" Martindale, who was the team's linebackers coach in 2009, said Williams is playing at a Pro Bowl level. Williams said it is his relationship with Martindale that is makes that possible.

Martindale is the fifth coordinator Williams has played for since the team drafted him at No. 17 overall in 2004.

In that time, Williams was moved from the weak side to the strong side to the middle and back out again in the 4-3 defensive scheme under former coach Mike Shanahan. Then, Williams was among the Broncos' biggest linebackers, at 242 pounds.

Now, in his second year in the 3-4 scheme, he's the smallest starting linebacker. More important, Williams said, is that he's able to play smarter because, for once, his role has remained consistent.

"I finally have a D-coordinator who knows how to use me," Williams said. "A lot of times I wasn't the focal part of the defense. I was a good player out there making plays, but I feel like Wink puts me in position and makes certain calls that are planned for me to make the play. I like that because I'm confident in myself. If anything, I'd like it to be left up to me to make the play. Not putting anyone else down, but I just have confidence in myself in making the play."

And his teammates have confidence in Williams.

Bailey, the only player who has been with the Broncos longer than Williams — albeit only by a matter of months — said players respect Williams' voice in the locker room because of the way he carries himself on the field. When Williams arrived in 2004, he was the kid playing alongside Al Wilson. Now, Bailey said Williams is the leader instead of a follower.

"He doesn't always talk, but he talks when necessary. He speaks up, and you can tell it means a lot to him just based on how he talks and when he talks," Bailey said. "We need somebody like that, especially someone who sits right in the middle of your defense. He's the guy that we listen to in the huddle. His voice is important."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

Read more: Broncos' Williams keeps low profile off gridiron while making an impact - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16411480?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%29#ixz z13Cx3vNTX

broncobryce
10-23-2010, 01:30 PM
I always felt bad for him because he kept getting moved around every year. Hopefully he can make the pro bowl soon.

Northman
10-23-2010, 01:36 PM
He's definitely good at tackling.

dogfish
10-23-2010, 02:41 PM
he had some shaky moments early in the year, but dude's been making plays. . . i actually just mentioned this to a friend the other day-- DJ's consistency has been a real asset with so many other guys hurt this year. . .

we still need more depth there, but next season a starting LB group featuring doom, DJ and ayers is gonna be sick with it-- those guys will be fun to watch, especially if we do what we're supposed to next year and continue building the defensive line. . .

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
10-23-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm glad because its confirmed to me that DJ really is that good guy that flies under the radar. He is a solid contributor on our D.