PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Royal an Official Starter

dekers
08-08-2008, 03:14 AM
This is on both the orangemane and Broncos country :also
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_10133136?source=rss

just thought i would pass it on here:

WOW, It will be great if he really is that good. The mismatches this offence could create with , Marshall , royal, Stokley and Scheffler wow. Even with Torain getting hurt with these options its going to open up the runing game for us. IF and this is a big IF are defence is better this year, I think we can surprise the NFL this year.

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2008, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the info Dekers. This is exciting news indeed. I know that it says in the article that the starters are playing 10-15 plays or 1 to 2 series, but I wonder if that goes for Fast Eddie too. I don't think that it would hurt too much to see him get some more playing time. Then again, it is only week 1 of the pre-season and no need to risk injury.

Nature Boy
08-08-2008, 03:44 AM
From that article, I thought this was the most interesting part.

--------------------------------------
Shanny, Shanny, Kubiak, Gibbs.

It was clear from the first preseason game at San Francisco last year that the Broncos' defense wasn't going to be able to stop the run.

"We got killed in the run game (in the preseason opener) last year," Shanahan said. "We will be tested very quickly against Houston."

The Broncos' fortified run defense will face three Houston coaches who know all about how to devise a running scheme — head coach Gary Kubiak, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and offensive line coach Alex Gibbs. All have served Mike Shanahan in some fashion.
-----------------------------------------------

I guess we'll get a close look at how Nate Webster and Niko Kooties will fair. Kubs, Kyle and Alex Gibbs will have their team primed and ready and we'll see a heavy dose of Ahman Green and Chris Brown. Both Green and Brown are better than the RBs we have in our stable. eek. :confused:

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2008, 03:47 AM
Ahman Green may have been better at one time, and I don't think that Chris Brown is better than Young by any means, but that's my opinion. Both are very injury prone, and even if Kootie or Webster have a bad game, we have 10 other guys on defense that are going to work to stop the run.. Hopefully we just have no injuries and we can stop the run with no problems. Also, it really seems like you say things on the board just to get people riled up. It's like having J-Walk 2.0....

NameUsedBefore
08-08-2008, 03:54 AM
Kyle Shanahan is moving right on up. I didn't know he was offensive coordinator already.

Oh and Alex Gibbs scares me.

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2008, 03:56 AM
I knew Kyle was their O-Coordinator. He'll be a HC in 5 years or so. Alex Gibbs should have never left Denver. Oh well.

Nature Boy
08-08-2008, 04:10 AM
Ahman Green may have been better at one time, and I don't think that Chris Brown is better than Young by any means, but that's my opinion. Both are very injury prone, and even if Kootie or Webster have a bad game, we have 10 other guys on defense that are going to work to stop the run.. Hopefully we just have no injuries and we can stop the run with no problems. Also, it really seems like you say things on the board just to get people riled up. It's like having J-Walk 2.0....

Well lighten up then. And stop being such a Homer so whenever some one says something other than the Broncos are #1, you wont be so upset.

I do believe Ahman Green and Chris Brown are both better than Selvin Young and especially Andre Hall. Green, Brown and Selvin Young are all about the same as far as being injury prone. Young did have off season surgery you know.

gobroncsnv
08-08-2008, 05:50 AM
Shanny must have seen the vid on Royal that got posted by the guy from VaTech. In all seriousness, I haven't heard much in downside about Royal from our campers. Really looking forward to seeing the kid hit the field.

Tned
08-08-2008, 07:14 AM
This is good news, not just because I would rather see a dynamic player across from Marshall, rather than a journey-man or under-achieving, FA WR.

Then again, I might like the news just because I drafted Royal with my last pick in my first (of the year) fantasy football draft. :D

Retired_Member_001
08-08-2008, 07:23 AM
I'm happy for him. He's got a good attitude, he's got alot of flair and he looks like he could turn into a talented player. If Eddie Royal turns into the speed demon we think he is, then a strong and powerful Marshall and a speedy Royal will be a perfect fit.

omac
08-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Well lighten up then. And stop being such a Homer so whenever some one says something other than the Broncos are #1, you wont be so upset.

I do believe Ahman Green and Chris Brown are both better than Selvin Young and especially Andre Hall. Green, Brown and Selvin Young are all about the same as far as being injury prone. Young did have off season surgery you know.

It isn't homerism. If you've paid any attention to the Texans last season, Green was ineffective because of his injury. Even when he got to play, he couldn't do much, such that he was outplayed by Ron Dayne.

Green only played 6 games with 260 yards rushing, and he averaged a woeful 3.7 yards per carry. In contrast, their backup Dayne had 773 yards and 4 yards per carry.

Chris Brown did better with 462 yards and a 4.5 yards per carry average, but he only played 12 games. The previous year, he only played 5 games.

Selvin Young was active for 15 games, had 729 yards, with a 5.2 ypc average.

So though Young was the undrafted, inexperienced rookie, he outplayed and out-healthed Green and Brown.

Green and Brown can't be better than what the Broncos have if they can't even stay healthy. Hall only played 10 games, but he averaged 4.9 ypc, still better than Green and Brown, and definitely much healthier than Green.

It's not Green or Brown who you should watch out for; it's their potential 3rd down back, Steve Slaton. Even Texans fans are not satisfied with Green nor Brown. The Titans weren't happy with Brown either, prefering instead to take another RB high in the draft.

Retired_Member_001
08-08-2008, 07:31 AM
It isn't homerism. If you've paid any attention to the Texans last season, Green was ineffective because of his injury. Even when he got to play, he couldn't do much, such that he was outplayed by Ron Dayne.

Green only played 6 games with 260 yards rushing, and he averaged a woeful 3.7 yards per carry. In contrast, their backup Dayne had 773 yards and 4 yards per carry.

Chris Brown did better with 462 yards and a 4.5 yards per carry average, but he only played 12 games. The previous year, he only played 5 games.

Selvin Young was active for 15 games, had 729 yards, with a 5.2 ypc average.

So though Young was the undrafted, inexperienced rookie, he outplayed and out-healthed Green and Brown.

Green and Brown can't be better than what the Broncos have if they can't even stay healthy. Hall only played 10 games, but he averaged 4.9 ypc, still better than Green and Brown, and definitely much healthier than Green.

It's not Green or Brown who you should watch out for; it's their potential 3rd down back, Steve Slaton. Even Texans fans are not satisfied with Green nor Brown. The Titans weren't happy with Brown either, prefering instead to take another RB high in the draft.

To add to this:

Selvin Young had the second most avg yards per carry for all rookies. Second behind only Adrian Peterson.

'Nuff said. :coffee:

Northman
08-08-2008, 08:04 AM
This is good news, not just because I would rather see a dynamic player across from Marshall, rather than a journey-man or under-achieving, FA WR.

Then again, I might like the news just because I drafted Royal with my last pick in my first (of the year) fantasy football draft. :D

And i would appreciate it if you stayed away from him in our FF league this Mmmmkay? :lol:

Thnikkaman
08-08-2008, 09:02 AM
And i would appreciate it if you stayed away from him in our FF league this Mmmmkay? :lol:

Any openings in said FF league?

Northman
08-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Any openings in said FF league?

Possibly. Even though i want Tned to play in it this year he said he has a pretty full plate. Now, even if he stays i think my nephew is dropping out. The other thing is the draft is tomorrow at 5pm Est. I dont know if that is too early for you so thats something for you to consider. Let me know. :D

atwater27
08-08-2008, 09:51 AM

Ahman Green is old and is washed up. He used to be good, but that was more than a few seasons ago.
Chris Brown is decent, but he is made of glass. Neither will be anywhere near as effective as Selvin this season, and I'll put money on that.

BroncoJoe
08-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Can't wait to hear the renewed chant:

Eddie Eddie Eddie!

Davii
08-08-2008, 10:36 AM

Eddie Eddie Eddie!

I didn't even think about that. It's friggin' destiny. I hope.

BroncoFanatic
08-08-2008, 10:43 AM

Eddie Eddie Eddie!

That would be very cool, as long as this Eddie doesn't also earn the nickname "The Bruise" :D

underrated29
08-08-2008, 10:44 AM
I HAVE BEEN saying it since the day we drafted him royal will be a pimp Wr, and much better at that than at KR- which he will be good at too.

I am glad that the coaches see the same thing i saw.

On to the rb situation. Andre hall- will prove to be the best back out of all that were mentioned. just you watch. Selvin will get nicked up sometime and when that happens andre will take hold and never look back. As for the texans i like chris brown there he is a great fit, but as posted the dude is made of glass.

topscribe
08-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Just think: Fast Eddie just overtook D-Jack, who was a starter, and a good
one, for who should have been the World Champion Seahawks. That speaks
volumes for Fast Eddie Royal!! http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/throckon.gif

Regarding this silly notion that the Texans have a better RB than Selvin in
Ahman Green: The last time Green achieved so much as a 4.5 YPC was 2004.
Last year, it was 3.7.

In the last five years, Chris Brown reached so much as a 4.0 YPC in only
two of them, never reaching 5.0.

This Young-bashing is absolutely inane.

-----

broncobryce
08-08-2008, 11:33 AM
I love Eddie Royal, but does anyone else think this is more of a 'test' for Royal to see how he responds in the preseason games? I think coach wants to see if Royal can handle it so he can start for Marshall during the suspension. I think coach does things like that. Like having Crowder listed as 3rd string, when I don't believe he is 3rd string. Thoughts?

MOtorboat
08-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I love Eddie Royal, but does anyone else think this is more of a 'test' for Royal to see how he responds in the preseason games? I think coach wants to see if Royal can handle it so he can start for Marshall during the suspension. I think coach does things like that. Like having Crowder listed as 3rd string, when I don't believe he is 3rd string. Thoughts?

Yes.

NameUsedBefore
08-08-2008, 11:41 AM

Buzzkill, dude.

Tned
08-08-2008, 12:04 PM

Yea, I'm guessing in a league full of Broncos fans I won't come out with Cutler, Marshall and Royal. :lol:

Lonestar
08-08-2008, 12:04 PM
WOW rookie starts in preseason game might be in for 10-15 plays and maybe see the ball thrown his way once..

Yes by all means prepare his spot in canton right now..

much ado about nothing IMO..

We hear the hype all the time lets look and see how much playing time he has at the end of the year.. lets look at his stats then and compare them to all of the other rookie WR that have played in DEN..

I suspect the receptions will not be all that much better than that others..

Tned
08-08-2008, 12:06 PM
WOW rookie starts in preseason game might be in for 10-15 plays and maybe see the ball thrown his way once..

Yes by all means prepare his spot in canton right now..

much ado about nothing IMO..

We hear the hype all the time lets look and see how much playing time he has at the end of the year.. lets look at his stats then and compare them to all of the other rookie WR that have played in DEN..

I suspect the receptions will not be all that much better than that others..

I don't think anyone has suggested he is a HOF candidate at this point, but I don't think there is anything wrong with fans of a football team getting excited about a rookie moving up the depth charts.

Lonestar
08-08-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't think anyone has suggested he is a HOF candidate at this point, but I don't think there is anything wrong with fans of a football team getting excited about a rookie moving up the depth charts.

It was sarcasm .

It is one preseason game and get as excited as you wish.. I'll get excited if he gets any meaningful snaps during the regular season..

Preseason means NADA..

Tned
08-08-2008, 12:10 PM
It was sarcasm .

It is one preseason game and get as excited as you wish.. I'll get excited if he gets any meaningful snaps during the regular season..

Preseason means NADA..

I know it was sarcasm.

Lonestar
08-08-2008, 12:14 PM
I know it was sarcasm.

wanted to make sure everyone else did since we do not have a sarcasm smilie

MOtorboat
08-08-2008, 12:14 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/clapton_2/Sarcasm.jpg

Lonestar
08-08-2008, 12:18 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/clapton_2/Sarcasm.jpg

now we need it as a smilie

Davii
08-08-2008, 12:19 PM
wanted to make sure everyone else did since we do not have a sarcasm smilie

Since i've never seen this one used I declare it the official sarcasm smilie

:duckflag:

NightTrainLayne
08-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Since i've never seen this one used I declare it the official sarcasm smilie

:duckflag:

That will end the use of sarcasm permanently.

Davii
08-08-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't see any possible use for that smilie. Unless some poster from some obscure country that uses a duck for a flag becomes a member.

Lonestar
08-08-2008, 12:27 PM
I don't see any possible use for that smilie. Unless some poster from some obscure country that uses a duck for a flag becomes a member.

raider land

NameUsedBefore
08-08-2008, 12:28 PM

Duckakhstanis are nice people.

MOtorboat
08-08-2008, 12:28 PM

The hell you say.

Davii
08-08-2008, 12:30 PM

You're right, obviously I need to be more diverse.

The hell you say.

Obviously so do you.

NameUsedBefore
08-08-2008, 12:33 PM
You're right, obviously I need to be more diverse.

Most menus have more than one page.

Davii
08-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Most menus have more than one page.

I only look at the red meat page.

And I hope Eddie Royal turns out to be a beast.

Simple Jaded
08-08-2008, 12:45 PM
From that article, I thought this was the most interesting part.

--------------------------------------
Shanny, Shanny, Kubiak, Gibbs.

It was clear from the first preseason game at San Francisco last year that the Broncos' defense wasn't going to be able to stop the run.

"We got killed in the run game (in the preseason opener) last year," Shanahan said. "We will be tested very quickly against Houston."

The Broncos' fortified run defense will face three Houston coaches who know all about how to devise a running scheme — head coach Gary Kubiak, offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and offensive line coach Alex Gibbs. All have served Mike Shanahan in some fashion.
-----------------------------------------------

I guess we'll get a close look at how Nate Webster and Niko Kooties will fair. Kubs, Kyle and Alex Gibbs will have their team primed and ready and we'll see a heavy dose of Ahman Green and Chris Brown. Both Green and Brown are better than the RBs we have in our stable. eek. :confused:

I'll take Selvin Young over both Green and Brown, especially Brown, the Texans are getting to be the same as the Broncos, people assume their backs are worth a shit because of the system they play in.

Brown and Green aren't worth a shit. *There is an opportunity for a cheap Shit Joke in there somewhere, I just know it*

As for The Negative Slant on Royal, I hope his promotion is on merit alone and not because Jackson and Colbert are a waste of time, it's possible that it could be a mixture of all the above.

Btw, it'll be interesting to watch Gibbs and Shanahan after the game......

topscribe
08-08-2008, 01:57 PM
I'll take Selvin Young over both Green and Brown, especially Brown, the Texans are getting to be the same as the Broncos, people assume their backs are worth a shit because of the system they play in.

Brown and Green aren't worth a shit. *There is an opportunity for a cheap Shit Joke in there somewhere, I just know it*

As for The Negative Slant on Royal, I hope his promotion is on merit alone and not because Jackson and Colbert are a waste of time, it's possible that it could be a mixture of all the above.

Btw, it'll be interesting to watch Gibbs and Shanahan after the game......

Well, while reports on Colbert have been pretty vanilla, those on D-Jack
have been very complimentary, and that has been every one of the
several by media and fans who have attended camp. It's beginning to look
as if D-Jack should have gotten Colbert's signing bonus. A couple have
gone so far to mention that D-Jack is looking more like the Jackson who
played on the Seahawks' Super Bowl team.

Nonetheless, when asked about who has stood out in camp, after BMarsh
and Clady, Fast Eddie has been mentioned by nearly everyone. It doesn't
seem to me that we are being misled.

-----

shank
08-08-2008, 02:27 PM
++ sarcasm marks, if it's absolutely necessary to denote sarcasm.

Thnikkaman
08-08-2008, 02:28 PM
<sarcasm>Everyone knows about the sarcasm tag</sarcasm>

honz
08-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Wait...are you being sarcastic?

Thnikkaman
08-08-2008, 02:39 PM
<sarcasm>Nooooo. I'm not being sarcastic. I have a physical condition that makes me type that before and after everything I write on a forum</sarcasm>

:duck:

Lonestar
08-08-2008, 02:39 PM
++ sarcasm marks, if it's absolutely necessary to denote sarcasm.

If it is not a smilie it is to difficult to deal with for some the rest of us non internet or texting weenies....

:focus:

Fast Eddie top favorite player..

omac
08-08-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm now thinking maybe Royal can get 20-30 yards a game.

Bad Intentions
08-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Royal has been a lot more than I expected. I figured it would take any rookie atleast two years before they came in and made an impact on the offense. Must be his speed and toughness with the ball in his hands. Also, I've heard he's been studying the playbook like nobody's business to earn a role on offense. Good on him!

HolyDiver
08-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Royal has been a lot more than I expected. I figured it would take any rookie atleast two years before they came in and made an impact on the offense. Must be his speed and toughness with the ball in his hands. Also, I've heard he's been studying the playbook like nobody's business to earn a role on offense. Good on him!

It only took one year for Marshall to become an elite Receiver. In his second year, he accomplished something only one other Bronco has ever done, have over 101 receptions. ( Rod Smith 113)

Bad Intentions
08-09-2008, 11:36 AM
It only took one year for Marshall to become an elite Receiver. In his second year, he accomplished something only one other Bronco has ever done, have over 101 receptions. ( Rod Smith 113)

At first glimpse I thought you had missed one, but you covered it with the 101 to make your point more valid.

Brandon is clearly the exception. Not very many receivers come in and make a big splash in year #1. Boldin, Clayton, Colston immediately come to mind. Most of those guys are bigger receivers and there game translates better to today's NFL. We'll see how Eddie does in year one. If he can catch 50 balls and go for 750 yards and 4 or 5 TD's I'll consider it a great success. Anything above that (which is within reason) will be stellar!

Requiem / The Dagda
08-09-2008, 11:38 AM
It's great to see Eddie get the start, but that's because Jackson is getting some mental reps in learning the "X" spot in the offense due to Marshall's suspension. I'm sure his play has been excellent and he merits a top three job at this point, but that's what the Denver Post said. I hope to be able to watch this tonight. I flipped to NFLN today and it's not on here anymore. Dang.

Lonestar
08-09-2008, 12:08 PM

I know that Lionel Taylor had over a hundred passes one year but not sure how many over that..

I'm guessing that AZ or Top will know exactly how many..

Taylor had 100 in 1961

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylLi00.htm

shank
08-09-2008, 12:37 PM
rod had 100+ twice, and eddie mac had 100 in 2000

hamrob
08-09-2008, 12:49 PM
It only took one year for Marshall to become an elite Receiver. In his second year, he accomplished something only one other Bronco has ever done, have over 101 receptions. ( Rod Smith 113)Didn't Eddie Mac also have a 100 catch season?

hamrob
08-09-2008, 12:52 PM
I thought so:

Eddie Mac

2000 Denver Broncos 16 101 1317 13.0 9

Bronco Bible
08-09-2008, 05:23 PM
I knew Kyle was their O-Coordinator. He'll be a HC in 5 years or so. Alex Gibbs should have never left Denver. Oh well.

He will be ready to take over when his pop leaves:coffee: