PDA

View Full Version : Is this the biggest game of McDaniels' career to this point?

BroncoWave
10-22-2010, 10:59 PM
In my opinion it is. We've made it past the brutal part of our schedule at 2-4 and are now starting what appears to be an easier last 10 games. How we preform at home against the lowly Raiders could really set the tone for the rest of the season. If we go out and beat the crap out of them like we should it could set the tone for a strong turnaround and a second half resurgence this season. If we lay an egg and fall to 2-5 though it could send the season spiraling out of control.

IMO, this is the biggest game of his career so far. If we can smash the Raiders and get some momentum it could really catapult us the rest of the way, or at the very least keep us afloat and alive for the division. And if we lose and spiral out of control McD's seat could begin to get a bit warm heading into next season.

Maybe it's just me but I think this game is huge for McDaniels and an absolute must-win.

Ravage!!!
10-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Interesting perspective...and interesting point. I think, up to this point, the KC game last year was his biggest game of McD's tenure in Denver. Simply because THAT game did have playoff implications. Even though this game COULD later on down the road.

BroncoWave
10-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Interesting perspective...and interesting point. I think, up to this point, the KC game last year was his biggest game of McD's tenure in Denver. Simply because THAT game did have playoff implications. Even though this game COULD later on down the road.

That's a good point. The way the scenarios played out that week though, we still would have been eliminated even had we won, so it kinda made the loss a moot point.

And I think this game will definitely have some playoff implications down the road. If we lose it's gonna be really tough to recover from. If we win it puts us at 1-0 in the division and right within sniffing distance of first place.

DenBronx
10-22-2010, 11:36 PM
No, last week was. We played the best team in the NFL and in order to be the best you have to beat the best. Oakland is a joke and shouldn't be a measuring guide for success. We would have been 3-3 after a tough schedule with light at the end of the tunnel.

But...we failed to win a very winnable game.

camdisco24
10-22-2010, 11:37 PM
I agree.
A raider beatdown will set the tone for the remainder of the season. This part of our schedule is the time to set ourselves up for a AFCW title. If we can't win the next handful of games... goodbye playoffs...

BroncoWave
10-22-2010, 11:42 PM
No, last week was. We played the best team in the NFL and in order to be the best you have to beat the best. Oakland is a joke and shouldn't be a measuring guide for success. We would have been 3-3 after a tough schedule with light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm not saying that Oakland should be a measuring guide for our success, I'm just saying that this game will be a tone-setter for the rest of the season. I'd be saying the same thing if we were playing the Chiefs or Chargers. When you're 2-4 and have a winnable division game at home to begin the lighter stretch of your schedule, that game is an absolute must-win.

Northman
10-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Dunno.

I think it depends on one's expectations for the season. A guy like Jrwiz doesnt expect much so he takes the season in stride. However, i do think its VERY necessary to re-establish homefield even though we've failed twice this season to do so. I look back to last year and our win over NY on thanksgiving. That too me should of been the turning point for a good run. Then throw in 2 home games against Oakland and KC that should of been wins and a chance at the playoffs after the hot start. So i dont know, i dont think this game has a whole lot riding on it in terms of his signature win. However, it will be important if he plans on making any kind of run at the division title or playoffs. If the remainder of the schedule is indeed the easy part than we should be coasting into the playoffs. Hypothetically.

To me, its only a must win because of the rivalry.

OldschoolFreak
10-23-2010, 02:08 AM
Great post and yes, absolutely.

But forget the talk of squashing the Raiders, we just need to win. BUT, we really do need to win. Beyond the momentum argument, which is certainly valid, there's the issue of simple math--if we want to have any realistic mathematical shot at the playoffs we need this one. To lose on Sunday and then think we could finish 7-2 is simply naïve.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
10-23-2010, 02:41 AM
I see what you're saying, but it's hard for me to say playing the Raiders is the biggest game of his career. It certainly is big, losing to our arch rival in an up and down unlucky season like this would kill any momentum we have left. However the Raiders seem to have a way of sometimes beating us at bad times for us when we are the better team. We'll see

Jagsbch
10-23-2010, 07:55 AM

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/300_l.jpg

Many a tail have been told, lording the lore of legend after legend by their countless lost battles while on their triumphant journey to infamy.

The loss to the Jets was a far cry from being a complete and utter failure.

What the Broncos managed to accomplish in that game was nothing short of posing as a legit contenders in this league, they where of course on the verge of beating one of the best teams in the league.

How can we lose sight of what made that game winnable?

2 interceptions of a quarterback who had yet to throw one all season long? 2 rushing TD's and 145 yards rushing against the Jets while holding back a vintage Ladainian Tomlinson to only 55 yards?

Broncos managed to virtually buck the Jets off of their 4 game winning streak. Unfortunately for the Broncos the Jets managed to come back from behind in a late 4th quarter drive. A drive that utilized the mercy of an official who made a horrible call that put the ball at the 1 yard line after a failed Hail Mary attempt on 4th down?

But in light of that loss, McDaniels has found himself a ryder in the storm of no mans land. Poised in the daunting disposition of being shackled to 4-12 in the past 16 games, must be like being on the crest of a giant wave where either you drop in and shred or get raked over the coals to be dashed to pieces on the reef below.

Last week was a far cry from where we are now. Losing this game to the vaunted Jets is one thing, but doing so to the lowly Raiders will not only set us back two games in a divsion that must be won if there is going to be any playoff hope's whatsoever for this quickly evolving young team.

The enormous gravity resulting from a loss however will be tantamount to an exceptionally catastrophic error, a failure which will certainly lead to this season crashing.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/573739/l_a175ff99968a431b8df940cbb6e7e2b1_medium.jpg

We have already ejected the core and detonated it, now if the momentum of that blast can not take us past the Raiders black hole in week seven then, then, then season-2 will be sent spiraling out of control into Davy Jones Locker.

So in essance this is indeed the biggest game of McDaniels' career as a head coach, because you can't take away the fact that he has been in much bigger games as a coordinator when you consider all the Super Bowls...

Is that phrase funny or what? 'all the Super Bowls?' WOW! How's that for a legacy of a champion.

Now at 2-4 as well, Raiders are too in a rebuilding mode of sorts, but hey what else is new with them eh?

But after the beat down they put on the Chargers, lets not forget how they too possess asperations of great expectations.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/573742/l_f7c7779c6e3c4435b1299481af366aca_medium.jpg

This is going to be a maelstrom bowl game of doom, the loser will be beamed back even further into obscurity from the dawn.

Its true what they say, the darkest hour is just before the dawn. The hour of reckoning has come.

Will the twinkling light of a star in the distance rise before Josh McDaniels and blaze its solar winds of change on the canvas of his dream teams furled sails, while taking us on a voyage where only the heavens are the limit? Stay tuned the saga is to be continued, and how.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/573757/maelstrom_ii_m2_medium.jpg

MasterShake
10-23-2010, 08:33 AM
http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/300_l.jpg

Many a tail have been told, lording the lore of legend after legend by their countless lost battles while on their triumphant journey to infamy.

The loss to the Jets was a far cry from being a complete and utter failure.

What the Broncos managed to accomplish in that game was nothing short of posing as a legit contenders in this league, they where of course on the verge of beating one of the best teams in the league.

How can we lose sight of what made that game winnable?

2 interceptions of a quarterback who had yet to throw one all season long? 2 rushing TD's and 145 yards rushing against the Jets while holding back a vintage Ladainian Tomlinson to only 55 yards?

Broncos managed to virtually buck the Jets off of their 4 game winning streak. Unfortunately for the Broncos the Jets managed to come back from behind in a late 4th quarter drive. A drive that utilized the mercy of an official who made a horrible call that put the ball at the 1 yard line after a failed Hail Mary attempt on 4th down?

But in light of that loss, McDaniels has found himself a ryder in the storm of no mans land. Poised in the daunting disposition of being shackled to 4-12 in the past 16 games, must be like being on the crest of a giant wave where either you drop in and shred or get raked over the coals to be dashed to pieces on the reef below.

Last week was a far cry from where we are now. Losing this game to the vaunted Jets is one thing, but doing so to the lowly Raiders will not only set us back two games in a divsion that must be won if there is going to be any playoff hope's whatsoever for this quickly evolving young team.

The enormous gravity resulting from a loss however will be tantamount to an exceptionally catastrophic error, a failure which will certainly lead to this season crashing.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/573739/l_a175ff99968a431b8df940cbb6e7e2b1_medium.jpg

We have already ejected the core and detonated it, now if the momentum of that blast can not take us past the Raiders black hole in week seven then, then, then season-2 will be sent spiraling out of control into Davy Jones Locker.

So in essance this is indeed the biggest game of McDaniels' career as a head coach, because you can't take away the fact that he has been in much bigger games as a coordinator when you consider all the Super Bowls...

Is that phrase funny or what? 'all the Super Bowls?' WOW! How's that for a legacy of a champion.

Now at 2-4 as well, Raiders are too in a rebuilding mode of sorts, but hey what else is new with them eh?

But after the beat down they put on the Chargers, lets not forget how they too possess asperations of great expectations.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/573742/l_f7c7779c6e3c4435b1299481af366aca_medium.jpg

This is going to be a maelstrom bowl game of doom, the loser will be beamed back even further into obscurity from the dawn.

Its true what they say, the darkest hour is just before the dawn. The hour of reckoning has come.

Will the twinkling light of a star in the distance rise before Josh McDaniels and blaze its solar winds of change on the canvas of his dream teams furled sails, while taking us on a voyage where only the heavens are the limit? Stay tuned the saga is to be continued, and how.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/573757/maelstrom_ii_m2_medium.jpg

Nice story. But I got a better one.

Once upon the time the Raiders came to play the Broncos. They got their ******* asses handed to them and a football shoved down their ******* throats.

The end.

Oh, and mine is a true story. :salute:

Ravage!!!
10-23-2010, 08:36 AM
That's a good point. The way the scenarios played out that week though, we still would have been eliminated even had we won, so it kinda made the loss a moot point.

And I think this game will definitely have some playoff implications down the road. If we lose it's gonna be really tough to recover from. If we win it puts us at 1-0 in the division and right within sniffing distance of first place.

I see what you are saying. Perhaps I agree that this is a HUGE game for this season, and not so much for McDaniel's career. This game is a "point" in the season that could very well have playoff ramifications in our division. Is it a huge game for McD? Not sure, but its a huge game for this season. being 3-4 is a BIG difference than 2-5.

2-5 almost guarantees a losing season (not saying it does, but winning 6 of nine would be difficult)

HORSEPOWER 56
10-23-2010, 09:02 AM
I wouldn't say it's the most important because our division is pretty unspectacular and so we've been gifted the opportunity to stay competitive (in the division that is) and not had to produce wins to do so. The only way this game is looked at as a "must win" later is if the Chiefs win (which I expect) and the Chargers beat New England (which I also expect).

With a loss to Oakland, that puts us firmly in last place in the division at 2-5 behind a 3-4 Raiders and Chargers and a 4-2 Chiefs team. That in itself will be almost impossible to overcome. If both the Chargers and Chiefs lose however, we'll still be within one game of every team in the division.

I think we win this game going away. We should blow out the Raiders this week at home starting possibly their 3rd string QB and having both starting RBs knicked up. Their injury report is almost identical to ours and they are on the road.

I thought the same thing about last year's home game vs Oakland, though...:tsk:

TXBRONC
10-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Nice story. But I got a better one.

Once upon the time the Raiders came to play the Broncos. They got their ******* asses handed to them and a football shoved down their ******* throats.

Then end.

Oh, and mine is a true story. :salute:

I agree but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. :D

TXBRONC
10-23-2010, 09:47 AM
In my opinion it is. We've made it past the brutal part of our schedule at 2-4 and are now starting what appears to be an easier last 10 games. How we preform at home against the lowly Raiders could really set the tone for the rest of the season. If we go out and beat the crap out of them like we should it could set the tone for a strong turnaround and a second half resurgence this season. If we lay an egg and fall to 2-5 though it could send the season spiraling out of control.

IMO, this is the biggest game of his career so far. If we can smash the Raiders and get some momentum it could really catapult us the rest of the way, or at the very least keep us afloat and alive for the division. And if we lose and spiral out of control McD's seat could begin to get a bit warm heading into next season.

Maybe it's just me but I think this game is huge for McDaniels and an absolute must-win.

I think there different tracks but they will converge at some point.

For the season, this is a very important game if Denver has any hope of getting to the playoffs.

For McDaniels career this one game isn't the biggest game of his career imho. The season as whole will determine that. Imo he has avoid double digit losses. If he doesn't his seat will be a more than just a little bit warm imho.

jhildebrand
10-23-2010, 10:06 AM
This is a big game (any division game is) but IMHO this isnt even close to the biggest game of McDaniels' career. That label could go to a handful of games last year.

This game is a defining game however. What ever happens in this game very well could dictate the rest of the season. Another home loss to the Raiders and this team could be staring 5-11 or 6-10 straight in the face. A win and who knows what happens.

atwater27
10-23-2010, 10:07 AM
The biggest games of McDaniels career aren't the weak ass matchups vs the shitty Raiders. They are the games vs the Colts, Ravens and Jets.
The only way this could end up as the biggest game of Josh's career would be if he screwed the pooch and lost a gimme. A loss against the lowly faiders would give Mr. Bowlen some indigestion that McDaniels will be forced to smell.

DenBronx
10-23-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm not saying that Oakland should be a measuring guide for our success, I'm just saying that this game will be a tone-setter for the rest of the season. I'd be saying the same thing if we were playing the Chiefs or Chargers. When you're 2-4 and have a winnable division game at home to begin the lighter stretch of your schedule, that game is an absolute must-win.

We will need to win at least 6 out of the next 9 games. But your right, winning would be a good tone setter especially against the raiders...who I hate with a passion. Most of my closest friends are raider fans and I want them to all be in pain tomorrow. lol

The biggest games of McDaniels career aren't the weak ass matchups vs the shitty Raiders. They are the games vs the Colts, Ravens and Jets.
The only way this could end up as the biggest game of Josh's career would be if he screwed the pooch and lost a gimme. A loss against the lowly faiders would give Mr. Bowlen some indigestion that McDaniels will be forced to smell.

^^^^
this

This is when you know your team is a good one. When you beat the top 5 teams convincingly. We need to get back to our days when we would dominate at home and play well on the road. Beating bottom 5 teams really doesn't impress me....but I'll take anything at this point.

spikerman
10-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Since the general consensus is that McDaniels will get at least 3 years, and probably 4, to turn this thing around, I don't think any game this year could be considered a "must win". That being said, if Oakland comes in and beats Denver at home a week after the Broncos played pretty well against the Jets I think they'll need to completely reassess where they are as a team and as a franchise.

nevcraw
10-23-2010, 12:24 PM
good thread..

I know it's cliche but as a head coach he better view every game as the most important game of his career.
as fan's -- this game is a must win as is every game within the division and against the hated raiders.. as previously stated lose this one and the playoffs look like a pipe dream.

Joel
10-24-2010, 05:28 AM
I'm not convinced the rest of our schedule is so much easier by comparison though; in my experience, evaluating a schedule in terms of which parts are "easy" and "hard" usually only works in retrospect. Forecasting, especially with the season less than half done, assumes that upcoming opponents will play like last years team, and if that were a valid assumption we'd start the playoffs on Opening Day. It's still worth a look though:

@ Jacksonville (17-24)
Seattle (31-14)
Indy (13-27)
@ Tennessee (20-26)
@ Baltimore (17-31)
NYJ (20-24)
Oakland
@ SF (London)
Bye
KC
@SD
St. Louis
@KC
@Arizona
@Oakland
Houston
SD

The Chokeland and St. Louis seem soft enough, but after that we've got a game on another continent I'm not looking forward to in the Pick 'Em, both games against a strong KC (and nine times out of ten they win the home game), both games against the team that beat us for the Division last year, an Arizona team that won theirs and was in the SB two years ago, plus a Texans team most people think will make the playoffs this year. Compare that to games against the defending AFC Champs, good Jets and Ravens teams, mediocre Jags and Titans and awful Seahawks. There's three relatively soft games in both groups, but a lot more tough ones upcoming. Also note that after hosting KC we play four of the next five games on the road. Obviously, losing to the Faders in Denver would raise (or raise the volume of) many questions, but I think last years game at KC is still the biggest for McDaniels since SB XLII, because that's a game where we've had trouble for a LONG time, even when they sucked and we were good (e.g. it was the last game Jake Plummer ever played, and it was another loss).

Canmore
10-24-2010, 05:52 AM
While I don't think that this is the biggest game of McD's career I do believe it is the biggest game of the season to date. A win puts us at 3-4 with hope but a loss puts us at 2-5 and the season almost over. This is against an opponent we should beat.

Northman
10-24-2010, 05:34 PM
I dont know BTB, is it?

Dean
10-24-2010, 05:46 PM
This is a big game (any division game is) but IMHO this isnt even close to the biggest game of McDaniels' career. That label could go to a handful of games last year.

This game is a defining game however. What ever happens in this game very well could dictate the rest of the season. Another home loss to the Raiders and this team could be staring 5-11 or 6-10 straight in the face. A win and who knows what happens.

I can only hope that this won't come to pass.