PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season Closing In; Marshall doing something Good off the field!

Italianmobstr7
08-07-2008, 10:44 PM
By Adam Zinser
DenverBroncos.com

Two days may remain until the Broncos can get into their first preseason action under the lights of Reliant Stadium in Houston, but with Head Coach Mike Shanahan canceling Thursday's afternoon practice, at least they can now focus completely on getting ready to hit the road.

The players jogged out onto the field without pads, and at just an hour and a half, they enjoyed a much shorter and lighter morning practice session than usual. And once they got off the field, a few young guests were waiting.

AN END-OF-SUMMER TREAT

It's almost time for another school year to begin, but before they had to head back into the classrooms, a group of students had a special day at Dove Valley.

After having spent time with the youth at Open Door, Elvis Dumervil and Brandon Marshall invited a group of kids out to watch practice.

"Open Door is an organization Reverend Kelly runs that I support, along with Brandon Marshall, that helps keep underpriveleged kids off the streets," Dumervil said.

And if watching practice from the sidelines wasn't enough, they got to spend time with their favorite players afterwards. Marshall brought out ice cream for all the kids to enjoy, and Jay Cutler and Cecil Sapp came outside to sign autographs and spend some time with them as well.

"We just wanted to bring some kids out here from Open Door," Dumervil said. "It's a nice day with good weather, so it's a good day for them to check out practice."

HEADING HOME

For Anthony Alridge, this weekend's trip to Houston is about more than just a game -- he's a Texas native. After spending his college career at the University of Houston, Alridge now heads back home to show off his skills on an entirely different level.

"I'm fired up," Alridge told reporters after practice. "I'm going to get to play in front of my U of H fans and my family. I can't wait to get back to Texas."

After the first two weeks of his first training camp, Alridge can't wait to see how what he has learned will translate onto the playing field in a game.

"Being in the NFL has been my dream since I was little," Alridge said. "So being out here in practice making plays, hopefully I can translate it into the preseason game and hopefully into the season."

Either way, Alridge looks to have a big crowd waiting for him in the stands.

"I have a lot of friends from the football team and from the band coming. Hopefully I can put on a show and get in the endzone for them."

TORAIN INJURY UPDATE

After Ryan Torain injury Wednesday morning, Shanahan said the rookie running back could miss 6-8 weeks.

Unfortunately, it now looks as if the diagnosis is worse than originally perceived. The team had hoped that Torain did not sustain ligament damage, but further tests showed that he did in fact injure ligaments in his left arm. Torain will undergo surgery Friday afternoon and will miss three months.

"We'll see how the recovery is. We'll see how the operation goes and what the doctors say," Shanahan said. "It's obviously more serious than we originally thought."

Torain wrote his second blog today, and in it he discusses how things are going.

"It’s so frustrating because I just missed half of my senior season in college. Then I come back and I’m doing well in camp, about to play in my first game since October, and I injure my elbow and get sidetracked for three months," Torain wrote. "It’s frustrating but at the same time I’ve got to stay focused, stay smart in my mind and don’t get mentally broke down. I just have to stay positive about the whole situation and make it work."

LARSEN BACK IN BLUE

Once Spencer Larsen joined the Broncos after they chose him in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL Draft, Shanahan talked about his versatility and about how he could potentially play both linebacker and fullback.

During minicamps, Larsen would wear the white jerseys of the defense one day, then switch it up and don the blue offensive jerseys the next. At one point in camp, coaches decide to focus on defense.

Thursday, he got another shot to wear the blues, and with the first preseason game just two days away, Larsen should get to play both ways.

"It's kind of intimidating," Larsen said. "But it's also exciting to play in your first NFL game at a position that you haven't done since high school. I'm really excited. I know it's going to be a good experience. And I'm going to play the fourth quarter, as far as I understand it, at linebacker too."

"To me, it's all about the more I can do. The more I can help out, the better chances I think I have of making the team."

I highlighted the parts I found most interesting. Just 2 more days until Broncos Football!!! Who else is pumped?!

MOtorboat
08-07-2008, 10:57 PM
I appreciate the show...now let's see if he can put his actions where his mouth speaks.

Italianmobstr7
08-07-2008, 11:03 PM
I personally love Brandon, and I don't think that he should be suspended but that's just me. I've liked him since college, and he's the ONLY player that I've ever wanted outside of the first round that Denver has actually drafted. I was telling people before the draft that he was going to be a stud, and now he is. It's too bad about the suspension, but he'll have to deal with it and move on. We're a better team with him on it, and hopefully he can keep his nose clean from here on out.

gobroncsnv
08-08-2008, 05:58 AM
BMarsh has been one of my fav's since we got him, and when they were calling him Baby TO, I was hoping he would be neither. I'm hoping the suspension is the tonic he needed, 'cause there was just too much junk stirring up in his wake. He's just got too much talent that could go up in smoke. Please let this stuff be all behind him now. If Rod can get in his head and keep him focused, it could be one of #80's best contributions to the team (and I KNOW that's saying alot!).