PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen won't have a quick trigger finger on a coaching change

broncobryce
10-21-2010, 08:48 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16389254

By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

Q: Good teams such as New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis and Green Bay seem to have injuries but overcome them and stay in contention. The Broncos, meanwhile, have gotten rid of apparently good players (Jay Cutler, Tony Scheffler, Alphonso Smith, Peyton Hillis and Brandon Marshall). Kansas City has been in the AFC West cellar for a couple of years, and now the Chiefs might be favored to win the division. It's been said that Broncos coach Josh McDaniels has three or four years to turn things around. But if the Broncos finish 5-11 or 6-10 this year, does team owner Pat Bowlen pull the trigger and find another head coach?

A: Keith, this type of question has been asked by many in the last couple of weeks. In the grand scheme of things, Bowlen is not nearly as knee-jerk in his actions as other NFL owners.

It would take a lot for him to make a coaching change after this season. The NFL's labor troubles — if a new collective bargaining agreement isn't hammered out in the coming months — would make it difficult for any team owner to finish paying off one coaching staff, as well as the scouting staff, and then spend more money to hire a new regime.

Even with his Cowboys at 1-4, owner Jerry Jones repeatedly has said publicly that he won't fire coach Wade Phillips.

Bowlen fired Phillips after Phillips coached the Broncos in 1993 and 1994, finishing with a 16-17 record. Bowlen made that move because he wanted Mike Shanahan to be Denver's coach. And he stuck with Shanahan for 14 seasons. Shanahan won NFL championships in the 1997 and 1998 seasons, his third and fourth years in charge of the Broncos, but his last three Denver teams didn't advance to the playoffs.

Broncos management isn't pleased with the team's 4-12 record over the last 16 games. Nothing puts coaches in hot water faster than empty seats at home games, so if the Broncos continued to struggle and weren't in the race for a division title in a division that's not very good, Broncos management would have reason for long-term concern.

But McDaniels has a four-year contract worth about $2 million per year. This is his second season in Denver. His third season would seem to be the make-or-break year for him.

But the NFL's labor troubles can't be ignored. Any team owner, Bowlen included, isn't looking to pay a pile of money to a fired coaching staff with years remaining on their contracts until the league knows what the financial landscape is going to look like down the road.

It's the same reason the Broncos recently cut off negotiations with star cornerback Champ Bailey for a contract extension.

Read more: Q&A: Broncos' Bowlen won't have a quick trigger finger on a coaching change - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_16389254#ixzz1332cYOIr

Northman
10-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Broncos management isn't pleased with the team's 4-12 record over the last 16 games.

At least with this quote i can gather that Bowlen is keeping a watchful eye on how it ends this year.

BigDaddyBronco
10-21-2010, 09:02 PM
At least with this quote i can gather that Bowlen is keeping a watchful eye on how it ends this year.
Quote from who? Jeff Legwold?

Northman
10-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Quote from who? Jeff Legwold?

Broncos management from which he took the information from.

tomjonesrocks
10-21-2010, 10:24 PM
What's proper protocol for such a vague and uninformative article?

Is it a comment such as, like "I had Salmon Sandwiches for lunch"?

I had Salmon Sandwiches for lunch.

rcsodak
10-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Sorry, but I don't see in the article (what quote?) where this year's under any more scrutiny than usual.

legwold to mgmt:so how do you feel about the 4 wins of the last 16games?
mgmt:well, certainly we're not happy

Gee.....great question, leggy!

Amazingly, I'd go out on a limb and state that there prollly isn't anybody in the entire organization, nor the fanbase, that's "happy" with the record. That legwold had to even state that should be the epitome of redundancy.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

arapaho2
10-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Sorry, but I don't see in the article (what quote?) where this year's under any more scrutiny than usual.

legwold to mgmt:so how do you feel about the 4 wins of the last 16games?
mgmt:well, certainly we're not happy

Gee.....great question, leggy!

Amazingly, I'd go out on a limb and state that there prollly isn't anybody in the entire organization, nor the fanbase, that's "happy" with the record. That legwold had to even state that should be the epitome of redundancy.

only a fool would think that bowlen isnt watching the direction of the team and the record under josh...successful teams build larger fan bases...larger fan bases = more money.

of course Bowlen is watching josh and the record and if we have another failure of a season will no doubt be seriously considering a change...we know he wont admit that in public, right?

if the fan base continues to fractionate over the team and its preformance, because the team continues to downslide...thats where the owners take a hit...in the pocket book

Lonestar
10-24-2010, 12:03 AM
well I can see this is just another thread to be debated in the same manner as all the other ones.

Wonder if Legwold actually read some our threads or actually talked to Pat.

What a silly article.
Even if Pt was going make a change he would not say so or insinuate it before seeing the season play out nor undermind his choice as HC.

KCL
10-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Amazingly, I'd go out on a limb and state that there prollly isn't anybody in the entire organization, nor the fanbase, that's "happy" with the record.

I won't name the poster but looks like one fan is okay with the way things are going so far.The below quote was posted to me.

Minus the injury problems, I'm pretty happy with the way our season is going. You Chief fans, on the other hand, should probably be preparing for some considerable disappointment.

Joel
10-24-2010, 05:01 AM
I won't name the poster but looks like one fan is okay with the way things are going so far.The below quote was posted to me.
Burying your head in the sand threatens to replace baseball as the new national pass time. I like ya'lls position now better than ours, though it's still early days (I'm obligated to say I also like my other favorite team and fellow Houstonians performance last week. ;))

I wasn't aware McDaniels has a four year contract, but I'm not surprised; it's consistent with Pats approach. He seems a lot more patient with coaches than most owners (ironically, Jerry Jones is pretty patient since Jimmy; even Parcells left Dallas by his choice, not Jerrys). That's a good thing, IMHO. Four years seems reasonable, though five is better; until then we can only blame McDaniels so much for not doing better than .500 with Shannys .500 teams. If a coach with two Super Bowl Rings couldn't get them to the playoffs, why should a former offensive coordinator?

Canmore
10-24-2010, 05:14 AM

"Minus the injury problems, I'm pretty happy with the way our season is going. You Chief fans, on the other hand, should probably be preparing for some considerable disappointment. "

Why the secrecy? 4-12 over the last 16 games should have you elated. If the chiefs keep playing the way they have been I don't think they are going to be too dissappointed.

Jagsbch
10-24-2010, 06:59 AM
Four years seems reasonable, though five is better; until then we can only blame McDaniels so much for not doing better than .500 with Shannys .500 teams. If a coach with two Super Bowl Rings couldn't get them to the playoffs, why should a former offensive coordinator?

Thing is this is not Shannys .500 team, McDaniels jettisoned that team, now he is rebuilding this team to be anything but a .500 team, and when you rebuild it is always ugly until the finishing touches are applied.

Today could be the day we start seeing the application of the finishing touches when Tebow starts throwing the ball.:laugh:

Northman
10-24-2010, 10:52 AM
I hope today is the day. We should blow out Oakland by at least 20 points.

KCL
10-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Why the secrecy? 4-12 over the last 16 games should have you elated. If the chiefs keep playing the way they have been I don't think they are going to be too dissappointed.

No reason for the secrecy....he knows who he is and I'm sure some others do also..just wanted to point out to rc that one fan is happy...:D