PDA

View Full Version : Broncos: Five things to know

Magnificent Seven
08-07-2008, 01:44 PM
1. With Jason Elam out of the picture, the Broncos will turn to Matt Prater -- and if you haven't heard of him join the club. Prater started last season with Atlanta but was cut after two games and signed with Denver. He handled kickoffs at the end of the year but watched as Elam tried all the field goals. Now it's Prater's turn, and he's unchallenged in camp. I don't know why, either, except last weekend's scrimmage performance is a hint: He hit all 10 field-goal tries, including a 68-yarder and a 54-yarder with two seconds left. "It means a lot to me," he said of the team's trust in him. "They have confidence in me. But I know if I have a couple of bad games they could be looking for someone else." That is not likely. Coach Mike Shanahan knows what he has, and what he has, he said, is someone who nailed over 90 percent of his kicks in practices. "I have a lot of confidence in the kid," he said. Now, it's up to Prater to prove he belongs, and he's in the right place: Five of the Broncos' games last year were decided by three or fewer points, with Denver winning four -- including the season opener when it beat Buffalo on Elam's 42-yard field goal as time expired.

2. Running back Selvin Young isn't backing off his goal of trying to rush for 2,000 yards, but let's be serious: It's probably not going to happen. You know that. I know that. And Young knows that. But that doesn't mean he can't shoot high. "If it's something you believe in," he said, "and if you're the type of person who sets your mind to something and goes about it the right way to try to accomplish it then anything's possible. I'm one of those people who wants to be on the other side of the fence. I don't want to be the norm." Young is running with the first team, but look out for rookie Ryan Torain. He should make an impact as the season wears on.

3. There's no Travis Henry here, but so what? The Broncos think they're so deep at running back they moved Michael Pittman to fullback Monday. Part of that has to do with rookie Peyton Hillis and a hamstring injury that has bothered him during camp, but part of it has to do with a position where Young, Torain and Andre Hall battle for carries. "This is as much depth as I've had," said Shanahan, who has had a 1,000-yard rusher in every season but two, "so I feel good about it."

4. If the Broncos are going to make an impact in the AFC West they absolutely, positively must improve against the run. Last year they ranked 30th, with opponents averaging 4.6 yards per carry. That must stop, which is why you find defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson here. Robertson was a solid starter with the New York Jets when they played the 4-3, but he was also an injury concern. In fact, a proposed deal with Cincinnati fell through when he flunked the physical because of a damaged knee. "When doctors take a look at the knee," Shanahan said, "they don't know how he can play -- or play at the level he's playing at. I have him practice two or three days without taking a day off, and he hasn't missed a snap, he wants to go, he's in excellent shape and I'm glad to have him." Look for Robertson and Marcus Thomas to open as the starting defensive tackles.

5. One of the reasons the Broncos think they will improve on defense is their linebackers: They are completely different. D.J. Williams returns to the outside after one year in the middle, and that's good for everyone. "He never played inside until last year," Shanahan said, "so it was a little different for him." In Williams' place are Nate Webster and Niko Koutouvides, with Webster -- who had his first 100-tackle season in 2007 -- having the inside track. Completing the cast is former Detroit linebacker Boss Bailey, who joins brother Champ after five years with the Lions. "I wanted him to come here," Champ said. "I knew he could help us, and that wasn't because he was my brother. He's smart and competitive. We needed somebody like that, and he knew he would fit right in. We'll use him a lot more. They didn't use him up there (in Detroit)."

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10920018