PDA

View Full Version : Through six first quarters the Broncos have 7 points.

rationalfan
10-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Per Lindsay's Twitter feed: McD said a big offensive focus is scoring points early. Broncos have scored only 7 points in the first quarter all season.

damn. it's easy for me to blame poor snaps to kickers, injured players, no running game, etc., for the broncos' woes this year. but that stat pretty much sums up why the team is 2-4. math don't lie.

underrated29
10-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Per Lindsay's Twitter feed: McD said a big offensive focus is scoring points early. Broncos have scored only 7 points in the first quarter all season.

damn. it's easy for me to blame poor snaps to kickers, injured players, no running game, etc., for the broncos' woes this year. but that stat pretty much sums up why the team is 2-4. math don't lie.

yup been thinking the same thing all year... We start off so well, move the ball and march right down. Then we do one of the following:

penalty- get moved out of scoring position
get cute play calling- stall drive
turn ball over- buck fumble, knowshon fumble, missed FB, botched snap.

I tried to list them in order of how i recall us usually missing out on the points that we should have had. I remember all the games, jax, sea, tenn, jets, etc. thinking wow we are really coming out and moving the ball. We are going to get an early TD and go up big. Then we get called for holding, usually twice, or josh comes up with lets run on first and second down when we are burning them with the pass. Get stuffed on both and now looking at 3rd and 15. We complete the pass for 13 yards. 4th and 2 and we punt.

BigDaddyBronco
10-20-2010, 01:18 PM
One thing I miss Shanny for was his scripted first 20 plays. They would always score early. McD seems to hold it together better for the entire game, but coming out strong hasn't been a strong point. The last two games they won the toss and kicked-off as well.

MasterShake
10-20-2010, 01:43 PM
One thing I miss Shanny for was his scripted first 20 plays. They would always score early. McD seems to hold it together better for the entire game, but coming out strong hasn't been a strong point. The last two games they won the toss and kicked-off as well.

Yeah I remember during our Super Bowl runs, those teams would ALWAYS score on the first drive and have 20+ points by halftime it seemed. I think we had a double digit streak of first drive scores for a while there.

OrangeHoof
10-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Makes me long for the days of the legendary "15 scripted plays" but (sigh) that feels so long ago.

rcsodak
10-20-2010, 01:47 PM
I like his deferring. BOTH times they had chanced to score at both ends of HT. Its possivly putting up 14pts and keepimg the other D on the field. Its a chance to put a dagger in them. Now they just need to perform.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Day1BroncoFan
10-20-2010, 02:43 PM
How many points have the opponents scored so far this year in the first quarter?

rcsodak
10-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Makes me long for the days of the legendary "15 scripted plays" but (sigh) that feels so long ago.
I especially liked those 15 plays that took the entire 1st half to be played.

Grover
10-20-2010, 04:06 PM
From Day1BroncoFan:

How many points have the opponents scored so far this year in the first quarter?

Jaguars - 0
Seahawks - 0
Colts - 6
Titans - 0
Ravens - 7
Jets - 0

Se we've been outscored 13 to 7 in the first quarter. Perhaps more importantly, we've been outscored 49 to 33 in the 4th Quarter so far this year. I'd like to see the team concentrate on the offense starting faster AND the defense finishing stronger. We're 2 and 4 for a reason.

Lonestar
10-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Yeah I remember during our Super Bowl runs, those teams would ALWAYS score on the first drive and have 20+ points by halftime it seemed. I think we had a double digit streak of first drive scores for a while there.

Yep I remember those games well A great OLine that was playing an unknown blocking scheme an all world RB and a HOF QB as well as a couple of great WR and a HOF TE.

Yep real easy to get up in a game when you have super talent.

But you also remember although we won a lot of those games is was not by much most of the time and some of the time with Elam having to come on and kick a long one for the win.

Lonestar
10-20-2010, 04:18 PM
From Day1BroncoFan:

Jaguars - 0
Seahawks - 0
Colts - 6
Titans - 0
Ravens - 7
Jets - 0

Se we've been outscored 13 to 7 in the first quarter. Perhaps more importantly, we've been outscored 49 to 33 in the 4th Quarter so far this year. I'd like to see the team concentrate on the offense starting faster AND the defense finishing stronger. We're 2 and 4 for a reason.

Looks like if we double that & points we are ahead of the curve.

Yep we are in dire straights, fire the OC..

SR
10-20-2010, 04:18 PM
That stat, plus turnovers at the most inopportune times (Buckhalter's fumble, Moreno's fumble) pretty much explain it. We need to come out gangbusters this Sunday and get up a couple of scores on the Raiders so we can force them to play from behind which will create turnovers in our favor.

Ravage!!!
10-20-2010, 04:37 PM
From Day1BroncoFan:

Jaguars - 0
Seahawks - 0
Colts - 6
Titans - 0
Ravens - 7
Jets - 0

In the last 16 games, we've scored a total of 46 points in teh first quarter, and 75 points in the 4th. Thats an average of 2.8 points in the first, and 4.6 in the 4th. Seems we don't start strong, and we don't finish strong.

SR
10-20-2010, 04:39 PM
They don't finish strong, they just realize they're behind and are trying to scramble to score points in an attempt to keep the game competitive.

BroncoBJ
10-20-2010, 06:24 PM
That stat, plus turnovers at the most inopportune times (Buckhalter's fumble, Moreno's fumble) pretty much explain it. We need to come out gangbusters this Sunday and get up a couple of scores on the Raiders so we can force them to play from behind which will create turnovers in our favor.

I agree. I'm sick of playing down to the Raiders the last few years and letting them think that they can play with us. Because you get down early or struggle early vs a pathetic team then they have life and feel like they can hang with us.

I don't even want them to have a chance. :fight:

But damn, 1 TD in the 1st quarter all year. Pretty horrible. I hope we put a 21 spot up this week.

Italianmobstr7
10-20-2010, 06:42 PM
I agree. I'm sick of playing down to the Raiders the last few years and letting them think that they can play with us. Because you get down early or struggle early vs a pathetic team then they have life and feel like they can hang with us.

But damn, 1 TD in the 1st quarter all year. Pretty horrible. I hope we put a 21 spot up this week.

Me too!

KCL
10-20-2010, 07:44 PM

Welcome to my football world of the last few seasons.

gobroncsnv
10-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Bay's gonna go nuts this week. They'll put Asomuah (sp??) on Lloyd, and 88 will be king of the world... well, I can dream, anyway. Then again, maybe this is the week we hang 250 rush yards on Al's Pals.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-21-2010, 08:26 AM
I like his deferring. BOTH times they had chanced to score at both ends of HT. Its possivly putting up 14pts and keepimg the other D on the field. Its a chance to put a dagger in them. Now they just need to perform.

I also like to defer until the second half. Possessions are more important in the second half IMO, and getting an extra possession in the 2nd half is more important than the first to me.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-21-2010, 08:29 AM

I agree. I hope we murder those guys so badly that the game is all but over by half time. I'd like to see us hang at least 31 points on those chumps.

KO with a 4 TD game 2 to Lloyd and 2 to DT. DT should easily whoop their corners and honestly, I don't think Asomugha can cover Lloyd 1 on 1. Asomugha is a bigger, physical corner and Lloyd is smaller and faster. Lloyd should be able to get separation all day.

Lonestar
10-21-2010, 09:36 AM
I like the optimison of our members just hope they can meet your expectations.

Gimpygod
10-21-2010, 10:26 AM

seriously, although it's a minor annoyance deferring the kick is yet another way in which McDaniels is a complete moron. What you are saying above is equivalent to "and I would've won the fight if that stupid gorilla would not have fought back." Go out, score first, give your defense something to fight for, get your offense psyched up… We haven't won a game where we deferred yet so it's a stupid play. End of story.

Gimpygod
10-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Yep I remember those games well A great OLine that was playing an unknown blocking scheme an all world RB and a HOF QB as well as a couple of great WR and a HOF TE.

Yep real easy to get up in a game when you have super talent.

But you also remember although we won a lot of those games is was not by much most of the time and some of the time with Elam having to come on and kick a long one for the win.

you need to pick a side, if talent is important then we needed to keep several of the players we got rid of. However your position has been that scheme trumps ability.

rcsodak
10-21-2010, 11:28 AM
In the last 16 games, we've scored a total of 46 points in teh first quarter, and 75 points in the 4th. Thats an average of 2.8 points in the first, and 4.6 in the 4th. Seems we don't start strong, and we don't finish strong.
Last 22gms?

rcsodak
10-21-2010, 11:30 AM

Those 'terrible' teams in Pennsylvania felt the same way last year.

Ravage!!!
10-21-2010, 11:37 AM
you need to pick a side, if talent is important then we needed to keep several of the players we got rid of. However your position has been that scheme trumps ability.

This is a pretty good point. The "ZBS was an unknown and its no longer working" is complete BS. How is it that just in 2008 we had a running game despite being down to 7 RBs for the season? Even our coach right now is trying to use the ZBS.

Its ONLY talent that worked for Shanahan. Nothing more. After all, now it is our superior scheme, with the TEAM players, what will make up for the lack for the truly talented individuals.

TEAMS don't need talent, they only need the proper "scheme." One that puts the players in the proper position to win... wait... you've already covered that :beer:

rcsodak
10-21-2010, 11:39 AM
seriously, although it's a minor annoyance deferring the kick is yet another way in which McDaniels is a complete moron. What you are saying above is equivalent to "and I would've won the fight if that stupid gorilla would not have fought back." Go out, score first, give your defense something to fight for, get your offense psyched up… We haven't won a game where we deferred yet so it's a stupid play. End of story.

umm...ok. Whateveer. :rolleyes:
Stats prove you wrong, but whatever.

I guess shutting down the other team's 1st drive means nothing. Possibly getting a TO or positive field position means nothing.

Not sure of the percentage, but I wonder how high it is on scoring on 1st possessions.

rcsodak
10-21-2010, 11:43 AM
:lol:
Elway retired.
TD retired.
SSharpe retired.
Neal/stink/zim & co. retired.
Rod/EddyMac retired.

Welcome to 2010. :lol:

Northman
10-21-2010, 11:46 AM
They don't finish strong, they just realize they're behind and are trying to scramble to score points in an attempt to keep the game competitive.

Now, if only the spirit of #7 could take possession of Crazy Legs late we would be in good shape. :lol:

Northman
10-21-2010, 11:48 AM

Yea, i saw that too. Jr is big on scheme and team play which is why he would of been ok with letting Doom go. Now, we are finding out he is sorely needed. Who knew? :lol:

NightTrainLayne
10-21-2010, 11:51 AM

Totally disagree.

I have ALWAYS been a proponent of deferring the opening kickoff. Going back to High School, I've always considered it an advantage, especially if you are good with clock management.

Now. If you are not good with clock management, if your team can't run a good 2 minute offense, then by all means take the ball first.

However, if you have a decent defense who has a good likelihood of stopping an opponent, and an offense that moves the ball well in the 2-minute drill, it's a great play. By being good at clock management, I mean not only scoring with little time left, but also not leaving your opponent with time left and good field position.

It allows you to have a good shot at scoring at the end of the half, and you get the ball back to start the 2nd half. . .especially good for a team that adjusts at half-time well.

Now, by all means we can argue whether the Broncos are good enough in these areas to actually make it work for the Broncos, but if I were building a team, I would make sure that it is good in these situations (the situational FB McD preaches), and then I would defer every chance I get.

This is something that McD has talked about several times. Even in the off-season before he ever coached a game for the Broncos, he mentioned how poorly Denver did scoring in the last two minutes of the half, and how important that situation is in the NFL. .. and I have to say, this is an area where we do seem to do very well, or at least have improved, i.e. I can see that he focuses on this area.

Extra Benefit to deferring: If wind is an issue you get to take advantage of it.

Edit: Also, to argue that the Broncos haven't won a game that they deferred in (I don't know that's valid, but I will go along for the sake of argument) is a false dichotomy. My impression is that we have by and large at least had the opportunity to score in the final 2 minutes of the halves where I know we deferred, and have come out strong in the 2nd half of those games with the opportunity to score first in the 2nd half. Just because we lost those games, doesn't mean that it was because of deferring to the 2nd half.

LordTrychon
10-21-2010, 11:52 AM

Yea, i saw that too. Jr is big on scheme and team play which is why he would of been ok with letting Doom go. Now, we are finding out he is sorely needed. Who knew? :lol:

He was the keeper of the scheme, you see.

Ravage!!!
10-21-2010, 11:57 AM
THats a lot of "ifs".
* If you are good at clock management
* If you are a team that can move the ball well in the 2 minute drill
* If your defense is good enough to stop the other team from scoring
* If you are good at half-time adjustments

I think it makes a difference, as well, IF the other team isn't good at clock management, IF they don't have a good defense, IF they can't move the ball offensively.

If you are a team that does this already... I don't think deferring makes that much of a difference.

Seems the Colts would be a team that would defer a lot then.... but they don't. I think they would rather score and get ahead.

NightTrainLayne
10-21-2010, 12:00 PM
THats a lot of "ifs".

If you are a team that does this already... I don't think deferring makes that much of a difference.

Seems the Colts would be a team that would defer a lot then.... but they don't. I think they would rather score and get ahead.

Fair enough. But you seem to concede that it's at least not an outright "stupid" idea for the right team/situation.

However, I would point out that the Colts gameplan seems to be predicated on building a lead with their potent offense, and then letting their less-than-stellar defense play with the lead.

In that case, deferring is a terrible idea for the Colts. I don't think the Colts fit.

Northman
10-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Fair enough. But you seem to concede that it's at least not an outright "stupid" idea for the right team/situation.

However, I would point out that the Colts gameplan seems to be predicated on building a lead with their potent offense, and then letting their less-than-stellar defense play with the lead.

In that case, deferring is a terrible idea for the Colts. I don't think the Colts fit.

Actually, the Colts are a team that likes to score and then step on the gas throughout the game. They want to score on every drive and generally know that they can. With the numbers that Denver puts up stats wise we should be scoring more than we do but arent getting it done. So really deferring doesnt fit how our offense is performing.

KCL
10-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Actually, the Colts are a team that likes to score and then step on the gas throughout the game. They want to score on every drive and generally know that they can. With the numbers that Denver puts up stats wise we should be scoring more than we do but arent getting it done. So really deferring doesnt fit how our offense is performing.

And if you choose to do an on side kick to the Colts..make sure you do
it right...:rolleyes:

Lonestar
10-21-2010, 12:10 PM

I knew that ayers was primed to take his place by the play I saw last year. So overpaying IMO a pure pass rusher was not a good idea.

As I was afraid that 15% of our cap would be on IR.

Who knew.?

I believe in scheme and team play and once this TEAM heals up we should be fine and even better the next few years as rookies today step in a fill holes left by twits whining their way out of town.

Who Knew. I guess it was me.

Northman
10-21-2010, 12:24 PM
I knew that ayers was primed to take his place by the play I saw last year. So overpaying IMO a pure pass rusher was not a good idea.

As I was afraid that 15% of our cap would be on IR.

Who knew.?

I believe in scheme and team play and once this TEAM heals up we should be fine and even better the next few years as rookies today step in a fill holes left by twits whining their way out of town.

Who Knew. I guess it was me.

Defensively we are worse even when they were healthy this year.

Ravage!!!
10-21-2010, 12:36 PM

Not to mention, we will have MORE holes to fill. We don't know what rookies are going to actually work out, which veterans will leave, and which one's won't retire. We dont know what injuries we'll have... and which future draft picks/FAs won't work out.

I say this, because some seem to be counting all these rookies as if they are going to continue to be future starters. Some are starting PURELY because our depth is so bad, they HAVE to start. Doesn't mean its ideal for them to start, nor is it good to plan on them starting later down the road.

Some don't want to admit, that in order for a TEAM to be good, you MUST have good players. GOOD players will always demand more money.... and NO PLAYER is going to stick around in Denver is another team is offering more money. Just not going to happen.

Btw.. how is that Ayers is primed to take over for Doom? :confused:

KCL
10-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Btw.. how is that Ayers is primed to take over for Doom? :confused:

well he did put a nasty body slam on Charles last season...:shocked:

rcsodak
10-21-2010, 12:55 PM
This is a pretty good point. The "ZBS was an unknown and its no longer working" is complete BS. How is it that just in 2008 we had a running game despite being down to 7 RBs for the season? Even our coach right now is trying to use the ZBS.

Its ONLY talent that worked for Shanahan. Nothing more. After all, now it is our superior scheme, with the TEAM players, what will make up for the lack for the truly talented individuals.

TEAMS don't need talent, they only need the proper "scheme." One that puts the players in the proper position to win... wait... you've already covered that :beer:
Players win games. Otherwise the NFL draft is a complete waste of time.

rcsodak
10-21-2010, 01:06 PM
THats a lot of "ifs".

I think it makes a difference, as well, IF the other team isn't good at clock management, IF they don't have a good defense, IF they can't move the ball offensively.

Indy is the REASON teams defer more. Look back at any game of theirs. Teams used to take the ball 1st hoping to get up on them, but indy would usually score at HT and then get the ball to begin the 2nd half and score again. At least thats what they always seemed to do vs shannys tenure. :shrug:

rcsodak
10-21-2010, 01:10 PM
"statistically speaking"
unless they lined up vs the identical teams they played last year and I missed it.

Northman
10-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Indy is the REASON teams defer more. Look back at any game of theirs. Teams used to take the ball 1st hoping to get up on them, but indy would usually score at HT and then get the ball to begin the 2nd half and score again. At least thats what they always seemed to do vs shannys tenure. :shrug:

It hasnt changed much the last two years. We still get beat like a stepchild against Indy.

Bosco
10-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Josh's offense, even going back to his New England days, has historically been a bit slow starting. Even the 2007 team tended to do the bulk of it's scoring after the 1st quarter. It's really by design though, as this offense is all about getting opposing defenses to expose their gameplan and then exploiting the weaknesses.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Josh's offense, even going back to his New England days, has historically been a bit slow starting. Even the 2007 team tended to do the bulk of it's scoring after the 1st quarter. It's really by design though, as this offense is all about getting opposing defenses to expose their gameplan and then exploiting the weaknesses.

It's a shame that it has only worked 2/6 times so far.

Bosco
10-21-2010, 06:21 PM
It's a shame that it has only worked 2/6 times so far.

That will improve as the team gets healthier and some of the younger players come into their own. Just gotta have patience.