PDA

View Full Version : Broncos only had 9 players on the field for Jets FG

broncofaninfla
10-19-2010, 02:18 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/19/broncos-blunder-on-special-teams-nine-players-on-the-field/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/19/broncos-blunder-on-special-teams-nine-players-on-the-field/)

dogfish
10-19-2010, 02:25 PM
someone please tell me why our ST coach still has a job??

:noidea:

The Glue Factory
10-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Yep. We're just THAT good. :D

Ravage!!!
10-19-2010, 02:36 PM
yeah.. they pointed this out during the game. I was like... wow, we must be really confident in our special teams.

Ravage!!!
10-19-2010, 02:46 PM
someone please tell me why our ST coach still has a job??

:noidea:

I'm not sure thats the coach's fault. You call out a package, and you know if you are in that package or not. Its FG defense. How is it that the players didn't know they were supposed to be on the field after practiciing with the unit all week long? Is that the coach, or is that the "position" coach? Is that the assistants that are yelling out "such-n-such" package? Was it someone that was talking with another coach and didn't hear the call? I would like to know whats up, but don't necessarily think it was the ST coach's fault. Although, it always comes down to the coach

Northman
10-19-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure thats the coach's fault. You call out a package, and you know if you are in that package or not. Its FG defense. How is it that the players didn't know they were supposed to be on the field after practiciing with the unit all week long? Is that the coach, or is that the "position" coach? Is that the assistants that are yelling out "such-n-such" package? Was it someone that was talking with another coach and didn't hear the call? I would like to know whats up, but don't necessarily think it was the ST coach's fault. Although, it always comes down to the coach

Its actually a little of both. The ST's coach should know whats going on when his part of the team is on the field. Likewise, there is generally one player who does the team roundup and counting before the snap although i dont know who does that for us on ST's.

Lonestar
10-19-2010, 03:05 PM
just curious would have 11 men made a difference?:laugh::laugh:

that said I'm thinking that the ST coach better get roasted for not be aware of how many were supposed to be out there.

When He calls the package out he should be counting how many go on the field not shrug it off and say or think that his job was done.

rationalfan
10-19-2010, 03:06 PM
yeah.. they pointed this out during the game. I was like... wow, we must be really confident in our special teams.

i caught that in the broadcast too. i kept waiting for the follow-up shot of the ST coach bitching out his players, or McD bitching out the ST coach. oh well ...

OldschoolFreak
10-19-2010, 03:08 PM
When was the last time we blocked a damn field goal? I seriously can't recall the last time.

Ravage!!!
10-19-2010, 03:10 PM
When was the last time we blocked a damn field goal? I seriously can't recall the last time.

Thats because we only put 9 players on the field!! :D :lol: :beer:

jhildebrand
10-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Just reminds me of all the times Bates would have to take a TO for having the wrong number of guys on the field. Elementary mistakes like this should not be tolerated under any circumstance!

Ravage!!!
10-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Just reminds me of all the times Bates would have to take a TO for having the wrong number of guys on the field. Elementary mistakes like this should not be tolerated under any circumstance!

YOu know.. if it was a goalline situation, or something where there are packages that are hollered out and then changed. I can see where a player COULD make a mistake when he's supposed to be in and where he's not and it could get mixed up.....especially against a hurry up offense or if a team comes out of time-out with a different set of players than they had before. But on a FG defense? :confused: Thats just odd.

rcsodak
10-19-2010, 05:04 PM
they were running on, then came off when they weren't sure. Personally, since I dont make a living blasting every little faux pax of the team, I was glad they stayed off. Better to have 9 non-factoring players than 13, resulting in a 1st down by penalty. :coffee:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

topscribe
10-19-2010, 05:09 PM
just curious would have 11 men made a difference?:laugh::laugh:

that said I'm thinking that the ST coach better get roasted for not be aware of how many were supposed to be out there.

When He calls the package out he should be counting how many go on the field not shrug it off and say or think that his job was done.

Well, I'll tell you, had the Jets spotted that, it would have been a marvelous time
for a fake, for them. As for the FG, they probably would have made it, anyway, but
wow . . . :doh:

-----

LRtagger
10-19-2010, 05:11 PM
The guy that counts players on the field must have been one of the guys that wasnt on the field :lol:

topscribe
10-19-2010, 05:11 PM
the guy that counts players on the field must have been one of the guys that wasnt on the field :lol:

RotF!!rotf

-----

BroncoAV06
10-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Sure it was just a FG but it's not the first time that the Broncos have had under 11 players on the field. Jags last TD, another time vs Ravens, it is smething simple that should just not happen.

dogfish
10-19-2010, 05:30 PM
they were running on, then came off when they weren't sure. Personally, since I dont make a living blasting every little faux pax of the team, I was glad they stayed off. Better to have 9 non-factoring players than 13, resulting in a 1st down by penalty. :coffee:

i'd rather they had eleven. . .

getting the right number of guys on the field is probably the single easiest thing that any team has to accomplish on game day, and we keep friggin' screwing it up. . . doesn't look a bit professional, and at some point this type of inattention to detail is going to get us beat. . . if it hasn't already. . . didn't we have ten guys on defense for one of jacksonville's TDs?

Ravage!!!
10-19-2010, 05:48 PM
i'd rather they had eleven. . .

getting the right number of guys on the field is probably the single easiest thing that any team has to accomplish on game day, and we keep friggin' screwing it up. . . doesn't look a bit professional, and at some point this type of inattention to detail is going to get us beat. . . if it hasn't already. . . didn't we have ten guys on defense for one of jacksonville's TDs?

:lol:

Thats like giving 20 points for signing your name on a test. You would think thats the EASY part!

rcsodak
10-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Yet another, hindsight much ado about nothing.
I bet if you paid attention, there are players running onto the field late all the time. Illegal subs happen.

AGAIN, I'd rather they have less in that situation than too many, resulting in a freebie 1st down and possibly 7pts instead of 3.

Of course, to all that expect a perfect 158.3 QB Rating/500 offensive yds/TD per possession/10 sack shutouts, I'm sure they were SPITTING MAD when this happened.
At least they didn't have a player run onto the field without his helmet. :rolleyes:

LRtagger
10-19-2010, 06:11 PM
RotF!!rotf

-----

Maybe he was standing on the sideline with the other guy that was supposed to be on the field. So he counted the 9 guys lined up and then counted himself and the guy next to him and got 11.

It was probably two of the noobs from the PS.

BroncoAV06
10-19-2010, 06:38 PM
I bet if you paid attention, there are players running onto the field late all the time. Illegal subs happen.

AGAIN, I'd rather they have less in that situation than too many, resulting in a freebie 1st down and possibly 7pts instead of 3.

Of course, to all that expect a perfect 158.3 QB Rating/500 offensive yds/TD per possession/10 sack shutouts, I'm sure they were SPITTING MAD when this happened.
At least they didn't have a player run onto the field without his helmet. :rolleyes:

Its happened more then once. No one is really blowing it up as your trying hard to say with your sarcasim, just pointing out that 11 players on the field should not be that hard to accomplish.

dogfish
10-19-2010, 07:22 PM

i guess it's too much to expect that we have the right number of dudes on the field. . . .

:rolleyes:

claymore
10-19-2010, 07:31 PM
On the bright side we (Broncos and Jets) set a record for 2 fifty something yard field goals in the same game.

No one will remember who won or lost this game, but that record... Its pretty special guys.

I Eat Staples
10-19-2010, 09:25 PM
We're a poorly coached team.

jhildebrand
10-19-2010, 09:48 PM
YOu know.. if it was a goalline situation, or something where there are packages that are hollered out and then changed. I can see where a player COULD make a mistake when he's supposed to be in and where he's not and it could get mixed up.....especially against a hurry up offense or if a team comes out of time-out with a different set of players than they had before. But on a FG defense? :confused: Thats just odd.

Exactly! This was game 6 of the season. Which tells me it wasn't worked out in the preseason, training camp, ota's, etc...

This has the potential to become a much bigger issue depending on how mcdaniels addresses it if at all.

I didnt give Bates a free pass (I know I am bringing up the past but i think it is warranted) and I wont with Preifer. It wasn't even 10 guys. Shoot I would rather it be 12 if anything :lol:

Lonestar
10-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Exactly! This was game 6 of the season. Which tells me it wasn't worked out in the preseason, training camp, ota's, etc...

This has the potential to become a much bigger issue depending on how mcdaniels addresses it if at all.

I didnt give Bates a free pass (I know I am bringing up the past but i think it is warranted) and I wont with Preifer. It wasn't even 10 guys. Shoot I would rather it be 12 if anything :lol:

Not sure who missed.

but perhaps it was one of the 22 ;) that did not play and the subs stunk it up?

Lonestar
10-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Its happened more then once. No one is really blowing it up as your trying hard to say with your sarcasim, just pointing out that 11 players on the field should not be that hard to accomplish.

i guess it's too much to expect that we have the right number of dudes on the field. . . .

:rolleyes:

As I just said since ST is the last one to get manpower perhaps one or more of teh regulars was hurt this week and theirs subs blew it.

Not excusing it jsut can see how it moight have happened.

BroncoTech
10-20-2010, 12:43 PM
As I just said since ST is the last one to get manpower perhaps one or more of teh regulars was hurt this week and theirs subs blew it.

I could see some coach getting fired for it as much as it's happening.

Lonestar
10-20-2010, 12:55 PM
I could see some coach getting fired for it as much as it's happening.

I have not been overly impressed with ST so far.

But if you realize the number of players that played ST that are missing each week because of injuries it is hard to get continuity.

Not excusing it at all but there may be an underlying reason to it.

I'm guessing that Josh is getting in the coaches grill about it.

rcsodak
10-20-2010, 02:18 PM

:lol: THAT makes sense. GIVE them more downs to take more time off the clock and possibly score 7. Brilliant!Too many players is actually a penalty. Less is just lame. And you're not sure FG rotation was "worked out"? ROTFLMAO!

ok. On a more cereal note, how could this become "much bigger"? Vaughn/(?) getting cut? Coaches will take the blame but its the responsibility of the players.

KCL
10-20-2010, 02:20 PM
They are pros making big bucks...while some don't see it as a huge deal...it is a huge deal...more guys on the field the better chance to block it plus the fact that these guys know their roles/places as players...pretty friggin unprofessional IMO...esp if it happens more than once.

Ravage!!!
10-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Missing a player because of an injury isn't an excuse, and I could see where that might happen with ONE player... but two?

Obviously wouldn't have changed anything on that particular play, but its sloppiness that does show an underlining problem SINCE we've seen it before in weeks past (meaning this isn't an isolated incident).

KCL
10-20-2010, 02:25 PM
I can see if you're playing the Colts...Payton Manning will make you eff up when you're trying to sub...oh that pisses me off...:lol:

jhildebrand
10-20-2010, 06:31 PM

The blame cannot begin with the players, Jrwiz. It has to start with the coach. Otherwise, why bother even having a ST coach!

Ravage!!!
10-20-2010, 06:33 PM
I can see if you're playing the Colts...Payton Manning will make you eff up when you're trying to sub...oh that pisses me off...:lol:

He's sneaky on that stuff.

Dzone
10-20-2010, 07:59 PM
wow...I thought it was a penalty to have only 9 players on the field. n any case, someones got some splainin to do

claymore
10-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Can we ask if someone is on crack?

Ravage!!!
10-20-2010, 08:03 PM

I think the rule ONLY applies to depressants. So it would make sense that, yes.. yes you can. :beer:

KCL
10-20-2010, 08:10 PM

clay...stop talking about cracks...:laugh:

claymore
10-20-2010, 08:15 PM
clay...stop talking about cracks...:laugh:

Crack leads to trouble KC. Like not being able to count to 12.

Day1BroncoFan
10-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Crack leads to trouble KC. Like not being able to count to 12.

Or 11

GEM
10-21-2010, 10:54 AM
The topic is 9 players on the field. Stick to it. ;)

BroncoJoe
10-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Yep. That onside kick was awful too. Let's just flush this team.

jhildebrand
10-21-2010, 11:08 AM
how could this become "much bigger"? Vaughn/(?) getting cut?

Well off the top of my head is the disparate treatment of coaches and their "mistakes" by McDaniels. You don't think some question, even in the locker room, why one coach is continually allowed to have mistakes that hardly take place on the pop warner level and continue on yet another is "mutually resigned."

Then there is the disparate messages by McD between players and coaches. Have you seen Quinn the past 3 weeks? No! Ever since he F'd up against Indy Gronkowski has taken his place and Quinn is now in the Hillis role. Moreno was given the dog house for his fumble.

We've all heard the "do your f-ing job" quotes yet the coach continues to have severe mistakes of an elementary/fundamental nature.

Coaches will take the blame but its the responsibility of the players.

Wow! You will say anything to relieve pressure on a coach. :rolleyes:

Why bother even having a ST coach then? Why pay him? Why not do without? Seriously, RC, answer it!

Ravage!!!
10-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Wow! You will say anything to relieve pressure on a coach.

Why bother even having a ST coach then? Why pay him? Why not do without? Seriously, RC, answer it!

I think you already answered the question.

jhildebrand
10-21-2010, 11:35 AM
I think you already answered the question.

I really want to hear RC answer it. I am sure he will duck it, though.

No matter what it ALWAYS goes back to the coach(es). I love how people say things that lay the lionshare of blame with players or things like "those players got the coach fired" because in almost every instance the players on the roster and 1st on the depth chart are the ones the coach WANTED!

Ravage!!!
10-21-2010, 11:44 AM
I really want to hear RC answer it. I am sure he will duck it, though.

No matter what it ALWAYS goes back to the coach(es). I love how people say things that lay the lionshare of blame with players or things like "those players got the coach fired" because in almost every instance the players on the roster and 1st on the depth chart are the ones the coach WANTED!

There is only one poster I know that tries to use the "he got the coach fired".... and every time he uses that sentence he looks foolish.

I think dog had a great point earlier in the thread that really ties it together. This "FG" defense didn't lose us the game, but wasn't it earlier in the year where we saw only 10 players on the field during a Jacksonville TD play?

If the BIG things, like not getting enough players on the field to play defense, are showing to US on TV, what are all the small things that we don't know about, going on with the plays? Might explain why there is no running game. Might explain why we see penalties in big moments. There was a TERRRIBLE snap by the very long snapper we just HAD to have (I'm still confused as to why. How many people look to the LS as a locker room leader?) and another bad snap in a crucial moment. Small details that add up.

KCL
10-21-2010, 11:58 AM
The topic is 9 players on the field. Stick to it. ;)

Sorry GEM..clay has a way of getting me side tracked.....;)
damn how I miss him posting..ok back to topic....
9 players on the field.

jhildebrand
10-21-2010, 12:13 PM
There is only one poster I know that tries to use the "he got the coach fired".... and every time he uses that sentence he looks foolish.

I have seen it here and there. I hear it a lot though in general football conversations. You are absolutely right in stating it is FOOLISH!

I think dog had a great point earlier in the thread that really ties it together. This "FG" defense didn't lose us the game, but wasn't it earlier in the year where we saw only 10 players on the field during a Jacksonville TD play?

It didn't win us the game either which is a distinct possibility! Sometimes teams actually block FG tries which either wins the game itself or leads to a momentum change which results in a win.

Ultimately, the word that should be applied is YET. Just like this team caught something with the Jets that allowed for an onside kick other teams are noticing these things and they will be ready. Had the jets called for a fake, the backfield was WIDE OPEN.

If the BIG things, like not getting enough players on the field to play defense, are showing to US on TV, what are all the small things that we don't know about, going on with the plays? Might explain why there is no running game. Might explain why we see penalties in big moments. There was a TERRRIBLE snap by the very long snapper we just HAD to have (I'm still confused as to why. How many people look to the LS as a locker room leader?) and another bad snap in a crucial moment. Small details that add up.

Exactly. If this team is lacking on something so simple and fundamental as having the correct number of players on the field, we can only imagine all the other issues that might be taking place.