PDA

View Full Version : Kansas State's Snyder all for McCartney's return

Denver Native (Carol)
10-18-2010, 04:31 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_16368878

Legendary Colorado coach Bill McCartney has hinted at returning to college coaching, and Kansas State coach Bill Snyder thinks it's a great idea.

On today's Big 12 Conference call, Snyder, who returned to Kansas State three years after his own retirement, said the job hasn't changed that much — despite the fact the 70-year-old McCartney having been out of it 17 years.

"I don't think that would be the issue," said Snyder, 71. "In Bill's tenure — and everybody's tenure — the game changes and it kind of works in cycles. Essentially it all gets back to something that's been done in the past. It just gets recycled. He's had enough experience to understand that. Whatever the system would be, whether it's one he's utilized all his life or something new, Bill's very adaptable and I don't think that would be an issue for him."

Snyder is all for McCartney returning.

"More power to him," Snyder said. "Somebody would be very fortunate to have him if he chose to do that."

Some speculate that McCartney could return to Colorado if Dan Hawkins gets fired this year.

"I know this: Bill McCartney is as fine a football coach as I've ever known and if he wanted to go back at the age of 90, he would still be extremely successful," Snyder said. "What Bill would do that's so significant is, outside of being successful, he'd have a tremendous impact on the lives of all the young people he worked with."