PDA

View Full Version : Our passing attack is sort of annoying me.

LoyalSoldier
10-18-2010, 01:36 PM
First I'll say our running attack on average is so bad that it isn't even worth talking about.

Our passing attack keeps racking up a lot of yardage, but I keep getting the feeling that WRs aren't quite doing enough. Where is our YAC? Are all of our WRs just not good at getting separation? It is always some diving catch or some miracle catch over the DB or some other thing like that.

Add on the fact I am still a little frustrated with our deep game for multiple reasons.

silkamilkamonico
10-18-2010, 01:40 PM
I really like our passing attack. It has looked different the last 2 weeks then the first 4 games because of the defenses we have played. Usually our YAC's are among the league leaders. Our passing scheme does such a good job of putting our WR's in position to make plays, and it makes it very difficult for defenses to hold true and honest to us. I also think our deep passing game is as good if not better than it has been in a long time.

MileHighCrew
10-18-2010, 01:45 PM
This is the one area I would expect a positive thread.

threefolddead
10-18-2010, 01:55 PM
On the same note, Tebow's jersey sales are really disappointing as well.

Shazam!
10-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Some people are never happy.

Lonestar
10-18-2010, 02:10 PM
lets see

#2 in yards per game.
#4 in YPC
#2 in passes +20 Yards.
#3 in passes +40 yards.
tied for #9 in 1st downs.

Rk Player Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st 1st% FUM
4 Jabar Gaffney 37 408 11.0 68.0 28 1 5 0 20 54.1 0
9 Brandon Lloyd 34 663 19.5 110.5 61 3 13 5 31 91.2 0
13 Eddie Royal 32 367 11.5 61.2 41 2 6 1 19 59.4 0
60 D Thomas 14 178 12.7 35.6 27 2 3 0 10 71.4 1

just for fun
4 Brandon Marshal 37 467 12.6 93.4 46 1 4 2 26 70.3 0

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&statisticPositionCategory=WIDE_RECEIVER&conference=null&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_RECEPTIONS&experience=null&d-447263-n=1&season=2010&qualified=true&Submit=Go&tabSeq=1&d-447263-p=1
not sure there is much to complain about.

Throwing deep into the end zone well YAC not going to happen.

Throwing deeper side line passes (hard to throw and complete) usually gets bumped out of bounds after the catch or is going out of bounds as they catch it

Northman
10-18-2010, 02:18 PM
First I'll say our running attack on average is so bad that it isn't even worth talking about.

Our passing attack keeps racking up a lot of yardage, but I keep getting the feeling that WRs aren't quite doing enough. Where is our YAC? Are all of our WRs just not good at getting separation? It is always some diving catch or some miracle catch over the DB or some other thing like that.

Add on the fact I am still a little frustrated with our deep game for multiple reasons.

Understandable.

Its not that much different from 08' in terms of how it works between the 20's. The problem is still in the redzone and some of that probably has to do with what you brought up in terms of receivers making plays especially on quick screens and slants. Watching how Welker and Hernandez do it in NE collaborates your theory on that. Part of the problem is Orton still isnt that accurate a passer even on short routes as generally the receivers to have to make great catches. But considering we can still move the ball im fine with that but the redzone scoring has to improve a LOT.

Jagsbch
10-18-2010, 02:45 PM
:elefant:Broncos have a top 5 WR corp...:elefant:Denvers top 4 receivers in yards after the catch rank inside the top 68 receivers in th league. When you break down all 68 here is how their teams rank.

Broncos 4 receivers have the Broncos ranking in the top 5 among all other NFL teams in YAC's among the 68 receivers.

DET 553 yards
2 Jahvid Best, RB DET
15 Brandon Pettigrew, TE DET
42 Tony Scheffler, TE DET

SF 551 yards
1 Frank Gore, RB SF
25 Vernon Davis, TE SF
Michael Crabtree, WR SF

INDY 545 yards
5 Austin Collie, WR IND
19 Reggie Wayne, WR IND
32 Dallas Clark, TE IND
Joseph Addai, RB IND

STL 493 yards
14 Danny Amendola, WR STL
17 Steven Jackson, RB STL
43 Mark Clayton, WR STL
Daniel Fells, TE STL

Denver 462
7 Eddie Royal
36 Brandon Lloyd
53 Jabar Gaffney
68 Correll Buckhalter,

Oakland 425
10 Darren McFadden, RB OAK
Louis Murphy, WR OAK
Zach Miller, TE OAK

No 387 yards
11 Pierre Thomas, RB NO
21 Lance Moore, WR NO
62 Devery Henderson, WR NO

NYG 385 yards
34 Ahmad Bradshaw, RB NYG
Hakeem Nicks, WR NYG
61 Mario Manningham, WR NYG
57 Kevin Boss, TE NYG

3 LeSean McCoy, RB PHI
24 DeSean Jackson, WR PHI

4 Matt Forte, RB CHI
48 Greg Olsen, TE CHI
66 Devin Hester, WR CHI

6 Miles Austin, WR DAL
45 Roy E. Williams, WR DAL

9 Terrell Owens, WR CIN
Jermaine Gresham, TE CIN

12 Arian Foster, RB HOU
33 Andre Johnson, WR HOU
65 Owen Daniels, TE HOU

13 Chris Cooley, TE WSH
16 Santana Moss, WR WSH

18 Aaron Hernandez, TE NE
22 Wes Welker, WR NE

30 Braylon Edwards, WR NYJ
50 LaDainian Tomlinson, RB NYJ
Dustin Keller, TE NYJ

28 Peyton Hillis, RB CLE
56 Chansi Stuckey, WR CLE
58 Benjamin Watson, TE CLE

40 Adrian Peterson, RB MIN
Percy Harvin, WR MIN

41 Jermichael Finley, TE GB
Brandon Jackson, RB GB

49 Brandon Marshall, WR MIA
Davone Bess, WR MIA

37 Anquan Boldin, WR BAL
29 Ray Rice, RB BAL

C.J. Spiller, RB BUF
Steve Johnson, WR BUF

8 Antonio Gates, TE SD
Darren Sproles, RB SD

27 Mike Goodson, RB CAR
54 Steve Smith, WR CAR

Four teams with only 1 receiver ranked in the top 68 in yacs...

39 Roddy White, WR ATL

Jamaal Charles, RB KC

59 Earnest Graham, RB TB

Larry Fitzgerald, WR ARI

Four other teams did not even make the cut.

Jaguars, Seattle, Titans and the Browns.

Here is were I dissected all this data from... (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYardsAfterCatch)

broncobryce
10-18-2010, 02:46 PM
if I remember correctly we lead the league in yac.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

LoyalSoldier
10-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Yea and we have a passer rating of 85.6 in the 4th quarter and 67.5 when it is a 1 possession game.

See again my point is that we are throwing up all these great stats, but when it really matters we just aren't getting the job done through the air or on the ground. In the last 3 or 4 games I swear that most of our deep passes are diving, one handed, over the top, circus catches of some sort. Most of our YAC comes off of short slants and bubble screens it seems like. Which I wouldn't be shocked if that is exactly how we get all of our YAC because we run those things like crazy.

We were roasting Cutler two years ago for making all these great numbers, but ultimately not performing when we really needed it. I don't see how this situation is any different.

Lonestar
10-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Yea and we have a passer rating of 85.6 in the 4th quarter and 67.5 when it is a 1 possession game.

See again my point is that we are throwing up all these great stats, but when it really matters we just aren't getting the job done through the air or on the ground. In the last 3 or 4 games I swear that most of our deep passes are diving, one handed, over the top, circus catches of some sort. Most of our YAC comes off of short slants and bubble screens it seems like.

And the problem in making great catches for TDs or just in bounds for 1st downs is what?

LoyalSoldier
10-18-2010, 03:07 PM
And the problem in making great catches for TDs or just in bounds for 1st downs is what?

Um that you can't do it consistently against good defenses. It is a sign that your WRs aren't getting enough separation or that your QB isn't throwing the ball to the right spot. Either way that is a problem.

It is great highlight reel stuff, but there is a reason it is a highlight. Because it doesn't happen very often and for good reason.

silkamilkamonico
10-18-2010, 03:11 PM

See again my point is that we are throwing up all these great stats, but when it really matters we just aren't getting the job done through the air or on the ground. In the last 3 or 4 games I swear that most of our deep passes are diving, one handed, over the top, circus catches of some sort. Most of our YAC comes off of short slants and bubble screens it seems like. Which I wouldn't be shocked if that is exactly how we get all of our YAC because we run those things like crazy.

We were roasting Cutler two years ago for making all these great numbers, but ultimately not performing when we really needed it. I don't see how this situation is any different.

I'm not sure what the focal point of your argument is.

You start out by saying you don't like the passing attack, you don't the the WR's are doing enough and you're wondering where our YAC is. More than one poster showed you that we are not only a top 5 team in YAC, but probably a top team altogether as a WR unit, statistically speaking.

You then say you're frustrated with our depp passing attack, and JR shows you we a re a top 5 team statistically speaking in a couple areas of the deep passing game.

And then you change your argument from the WR's to the QB.

It's the same as it was 2 years ago with Cutler, and I don't know if you jsut hqaven't been following along, but Orton and the passing game have take more critisicm because of it than Cutler did 2 years ago.

silkamilkamonico
10-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Um that you can't do it consistently against good defenses. It is a sign that your WRs aren't getting enough separation or that your QB isn't throwing the ball to the right spot. Either way that is a problem.

The problem is we can't run the ball, teams are dropping 7, sometimes 8 men in coverage especially the red zone, and what's worse is teams are still getting pressure.

Our WR's get plenty of separation, especially on crossing routes. It's why we are top 5 in YAC. You aren't top 5 in YAC if you don't get separation, or are catching balls by diving.

LoyalSoldier
10-18-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure what the focal point of your argument is.

You start out by saying you don't like the passing attack, you don't the the WR's are doing enough and you're wondering where our YAC is. More than one poster showed you that we are not only a top 5 team in YAC, but probably a top team altogether as a WR unit, statistically speaking.

You then say you're frustrated with our depp passing attack, and JR shows you we a re a top 5 team statistically speaking in a couple areas of the deep passing game.

And then you change your argument from the WR's to the QB.

It's the same as it was 2 years ago with Cutler, and I don't know if you jsut hqaven't been following along, but Orton and the passing game have take more critisicm because of it than Cutler did 2 years ago.

No my focal point is that I think our passing attack is overrated. Someone showed me YAC stats and I stated that could have come from all the bubble screens we attempt to use in place of a running attack. And we do run that more than nearly any other team in the NFL.

Someone shows me all these great deep stats, and I point out that our deep passing attack is an Ashley Lelie style make a fancy catch and fall down.

I never changed my argument. You just didn't understand what I was getting at in the first place.

Ultimately my point is we aren't this amazing passing team everyone makes us out to be. On paper we have huge numbers, but in crunch time and game situations we aren't living up to the hype.

Blame in on what you want, but I don't believe we have an elite passing attack.

silkamilkamonico
10-18-2010, 03:20 PM
No my focal point is that I think our passing attack is overrated. Someone showed my YAC stats and I stated that could have come from all the bubble screens we attempt to use in place of a running attack.

Someone shows me all these great deep stats, and I point out that our deep passing attack is an Ashley Lelie style make a fancy catch and fall down.

I never changed my argument. You just didn't understand what I was getting at in the first place.

Ultimately my point is we aren't this amazing passing team everyone makes us out to be. On paper we have huge numbers, but in crunch time and game sitautions we aren't living up to the hype.

There aren't any teams I'd trade our passing attack for save 1-3. There are multiple teams I would trade our running/passing attack for. That's the problem here, not our passing attack.

LoyalSoldier
10-18-2010, 03:30 PM
There aren't any teams I'd trade our passing attack for save 1-3. There are multiple teams I would trade our running/passing attack for. That's the problem here, not our passing attack.

The running game is a huge problem and yet at the same time I think because of that we are artificially inflating our numbers as a passing team. We bubble screen when most teams would run.

BroncoNut
10-18-2010, 03:34 PM
well, I guess all I can say on this is that passing alone just isn't going to get it done more often than not. I think our passing game can open up even more if we got ourselves a better ruinning game. But man options we seem to have with Jabar, Royal, and Brandon Lloyd, not to mention Demaryus and Decker.

LRtagger
10-18-2010, 04:11 PM
No, we dont run screens more than any other team.

Kyle leads the league in 40+ yard passes.

Kyle is second in the league in 20+ yard passes behind only Rivers.

Kyle has 60 attempts between 1 and 10 yards
Kyle has 60 attempts between 11 and 20 yards
Kyle had 60 attempts between 21 and 30 yards
Kyle has 67 attempts of more than 30 yards

Looks pretty balanced.

His completion percentage for passes over 30 yards (65.7%) is higher than the completion percentage of 1-10 yard passes (65.0%).

Denver is second in Yards per attempt behind San Diego.

24% of the team's passes are within 10 yards of the LOS. Here is how that stacks up to the other top QBs in the league:

Peyton Manning: 23.6%
Drew Brees: 26%
Tom Brady: 30.1%
Philip Rivers: 27.3%
Aaron Rogers: 29.9%
Tony Romo: 23%
Matt Schaub: 30.5%

And just for fun...
Jay Cutler: 39%

As you can see, there are only two guys on that list that BARELY throw fewer balls within 10 yards of the LOS. I dont even think we ran one WR screen all game against NYJ.

If you were talking about last year's passing offense, then yea I could see where you were coming from. If all you said was our passing offense is bad in the redzone, then I could see where you were coming from....but all the points you made are the complete opposite of what I have observed this year.

We have been throwing the ball downfield a LOT. Royal has been outstanding after the catch. Lloyd has really stretched the field and made some great catches even when covered. etc etc etc. Our WR group is far from overrated. They are underrated if you ask me.

Lonestar
10-18-2010, 04:20 PM

It is great highlight reel stuff, but there is a reason it is a highlight. Because it doesn't happen very often and for good reason.

been happening all year for us against some pretty fair defenses.

Manning and Brady do it all the time. and they have had infinitely more time working with their receivers and in the scheme than Orton has.

Not saying he is either of them but it can be done.

Gimpygod
10-18-2010, 04:32 PM

I would like to also add that we are two and four which is all you really need to demonstrate we are not utilizing a winning strategy.

Dirk
10-18-2010, 04:35 PM

I will give you the last couple of games. It seemed as if our recievers couldn't get separation. This was more apparent with the Jets. Cromo and Revis blanketed the WRs very well. They just couldn't seem to get much separation at all against the Jets.

Other than that..the passing game has been kick ass IMO.

Lonestar
10-18-2010, 04:55 PM
I will give you the last couple of games. It seemed as if our recievers couldn't get separation. This was more apparent with the Jets. Cromo and Revis blanketed the WRs very well. They just couldn't seem to get much separation at all against the Jets.

Other than that..the passing game has been kick ass IMO.

NYJ are good and one of the few teams that have 2 outstanding WR. but few have 3 or 4 and that is what is so hard to beat our Passing game with 4 WR in the top 50, and a couple more waiting in the wings to be activated. That is also not counting backs coming out of the back field, or TE's that are rarely used.

sneakers
10-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Hey, at least we are throwing passes beyond 10 yards this year.

broncobryce
10-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Once our running game improves (and it will) then I will make my final judgment on Orton. I'm not one hundred percent sold on him, but he is playing great most of the time. Now that the brutal part of our schedule is over with, and our running game is coming together (imo) lets see what happens.

G_Money
10-18-2010, 05:32 PM
I've never been a Gaffney fan, but I'm coming around on him. Lloyd is outstanding. Thomas is gonna be a great one (please keep your feet un-broken, big guy), Royal needs to stay healthy because he's got great gifts...

I have several complaints about this team, but our passing offense isn't one of em through the first 6 games. Having a pass-catching TE would be nice (didn't we give away one of those?) but almost overkill.

We can catch the damn ball. Yes, Kyle's overall passing numbers are inflated most weeks because we throw SO much, but that's not everything. The Nuggets score a bunch because of the pace they play at, but that doesn't make Melo less of an All-star or lower his per-shot percentages.

Orton has been better than I expected him to be, and has been throwing the ball beyond his normal choices of "whoever's three yards away from me." He really has picked up the offense well and is executing it well even if his idea of hitting someone in stride is not MY idea of it. The wides are very good (while making Orton look even better) and haven't been having bad cases of the dropsies or anything - AND still have room for improvement.

I still don't view Orton as the future of this Franchise, but I'm glad to see him trying his damnedest to prove me wrong. I thought he was more Brian Griese as a projection and he's showing that he's more Chris Chandler. Which makes Tebow into Steve McNair without the mistress, I guess.

I can't complain about the passing game or the corps doing the receiving. It's not all dinks and dunks, it's a varied attack and it's moving the ball. We just don't score enough TDs for all our passing success, hence the Tebow-formations in the red zone trying to get 7 instead of 3 or zero. And that worked.

Just not well enough. We're passing at will between the 20s the same way we used to run at will between the 20s. In the red zone, players have to be able to make plays, and we need to be able to both run it AND throw it. Until we get a semblance of a running game, our scoring troubles are not going away. Nobody bites on a play fake to blow a coverage when you're averaging negative yards per carry.

But that's not the passing game's fault. We're one of the top passing attacks in the league by any measure. Being the worst running attack, middle of pack in scoring offense and near the bottom in scoring defense is hurting us so far. As the defenses get easier some of those stats will change, but maybe not in time to help us this year.

Still, it's nice to know that so far we can do ONE thing right. Now we get to spend the rest of the year trying to make progress on the other stuff.

~G

LRtagger
10-19-2010, 08:11 AM
Also let me add that if your contention is that our WRs aren't doing enough, how can you turn around and say that all of our YAC came on WR screens and that all of our deep completions were on diving or circus catches?

Seems to me that our WRs are playing out of their minds and doing everything they can to get yards and make tough catches...which is what I have seen on the field all season.

Ravage!!!
10-19-2010, 09:54 AM
people aren't getting pressure on the QB with just trhee rushing.. our pass blocking has been fine.

Orton is playing well, but he still has the same problems he always has had. He's not good at scoring.

Of course our WRs aren't getting much separation. We are running lots of movement and lots of motions to get our WRs open. Thats great, but we don't have talent on the WR corp that is going to do more than get that. We still have Orton at QB and Gaffney as a starting WR. Lloyd is our #1 guy. These are guys that keep moving from team to team for a reason. Putting up good numbers for right now, but no one is a gamebreaker. Hopefully, DT grows to be the guy that we had.

shank
10-19-2010, 12:46 PM
i get annoyed when i hit green lights the whole way to my destination. i also get annoyed when people give me lots of money.

Lonestar
10-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Once our running game improves (and it will) then I will make my final judgment on Orton. I'm not one hundred percent sold on him, but he is playing great most of the time. Now that the brutal part of our schedule is over with, and our running game is coming together (imo) lets see what happens.

Just curious what the running game has to do with evaluating Orton.

He has become a very good QB against some outstanding opponents, just think what he will be like next year in his third (the magic year) of learning this scheme. That is if there is next year.

Im not wanting him to be the FQB with Tebow in the wings nor I'm sure he does not unless Tim is just unable to assimilate the play book.

I look forward to the day that Tim is the FQB that can open up the play book even more with his running ability and keeping the D guessing what is coming next.

But until then I see no reason not to like Orton.

Lonestar
10-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I've never been a Gaffney fan, but I'm coming around on him. Lloyd is outstanding. Thomas is gonna be a great one (please keep your feet un-broken, big guy), Royal needs to stay healthy because he's got great gifts...

I have several complaints about this team, but our passing offense isn't one of em through the first 6 games. Having a pass-catching TE would be nice (didn't we give away one of those?) but almost overkill.

We can catch the damn ball. Yes, Kyle's overall passing numbers are inflated most weeks because we throw SO much, but that's not everything. The Nuggets score a bunch because of the pace they play at, but that doesn't make Melo less of an All-star or lower his per-shot percentages.

Orton has been better than I expected him to be, and has been throwing the ball beyond his normal choices of "whoever's three yards away from me." He really has picked up the offense well and is executing it well even if his idea of hitting someone in stride is not MY idea of it. The wides are very good (while making Orton look even better) and haven't been having bad cases of the dropsies or anything - AND still have room for improvement.

I still don't view Orton as the future of this Franchise, but I'm glad to see him trying his damnedest to prove me wrong. I thought he was more Brian Griese as a projection and he's showing that he's more Chris Chandler. Which makes Tebow into Steve McNair without the mistress, I guess.

I can't complain about the passing game or the corps doing the receiving. It's not all dinks and dunks, it's a varied attack and it's moving the ball. We just don't score enough TDs for all our passing success, hence the Tebow-formations in the red zone trying to get 7 instead of 3 or zero. And that worked.

Just not well enough. We're passing at will between the 20s the same way we used to run at will between the 20s. In the red zone, players have to be able to make plays, and we need to be able to both run it AND throw it. Until we get a semblance of a running game, our scoring troubles are not going away. Nobody bites on a play fake to blow a coverage when you're averaging negative yards per carry.

But that's not the passing game's fault. We're one of the top passing attacks in the league by any measure. Being the worst running attack, middle of pack in scoring offense and near the bottom in scoring defense is hurting us so far. As the defenses get easier some of those stats will change, but maybe not in time to help us this year.

Still, it's nice to know that so far we can do ONE thing right. Now we get to spend the rest of the year trying to make progress on the other stuff.

~G

When Doom went down most folks wrote the D off.

For not having much of a pass rush this team has done far more than I expected. and far less than I expected in getting to the passer.

but again that should change somewhat as we go into teh softer part of the schedule.

As for not being enough, I for one was looking at a 6-8 win season with all the newbies being on the squad and an obvious issue of NO quality depth past Williams at NT.

Right now I suspect we may get to 9 wins but past that it becomes the bounce of the ball IMO.

I know that many thought we had a good team before Josh but looking at all the skulls that have been cut from this squad that are no longer in the NFL.

8 of the 11 starters on D are no longer playing football.

What does that tell anyone. We are in a total rebuild and it may not be till 2012 before there are sufficient starters and depth to make it thru the season and still have quality playing. Unless we get lucky like the 08 Broncos oline, that played every down of every game and had no injuries to speak of.

We need quality players as back ups as we all have seen when Doom went down there was no one to pick up the slack to step into his spot we had to move Ayers into it which left his spot dry with talent.

Look I'm not stupid to think your going to have a couple of dooms on the roster one backing up.

But behind our starters in the front 7 we are pretty thin. Behind our OLINE were are even worse. RB well not even sure we have one or is it the OLine.

About our only spot we have depth is WR and maybe CB.

Lonestar
10-19-2010, 01:32 PM
people aren't getting pressure on the QB with just trhee rushing.. our pass blocking has been fine.

Orton is playing well, but he still has the same problems he always has had. He's not good at scoring.

Of course our WRs aren't getting much separation. We are running lots of movement and lots of motions to get our WRs open. Thats great, but we don't have talent on the WR corp that is going to do more than get that. We still have Orton at QB and Gaffney as a starting WR. Lloyd is our #1 guy. These are guys that keep moving from team to team for a reason. Putting up good numbers for right now, but no one is a gamebreaker. Hopefully, DT grows to be the guy that we had.

We did not have a game breaker in BM we had a guy that caught a lot of balls. No different than what we have today.

The spread offense IIRC is designed to get receivers open with motion and wiping defenders off the coverage. That is why they are doing so well because they are ruinning the routes correctly and getting open.

NE did not have a game breaker other than Moss and now he is gone. Indy does not have a game breaker other than Manning.

I see this offense like the WCO that getting the open guy the ball is just a long hand off.

Now it is a bit longer hand off to the open guy. That is how I see this going throw to the open guy allow him a chance to get YAC or BETTER yet move the sticks.

I can hardly wait till next year to have all the wounded back and a fresh group of FA and rookies. we should be that much better.

jhildebrand
10-19-2010, 01:39 PM
We did not have a game breaker in BM

I am not sure i agree with this statement. Brandon Marshall broke the New England game last year. He certainly broke and won the Dallas game last year.

IIRC, he tied the Seattle game in what was Jay Cutler's first start as a QB and B Marshall's first playing time.

Brandon Marshall is a playmaker as evidenced by the draft compensation we received and the contract the Dolphins gave him (not to mention Marshall's demeanor :lol:).

I am not sure you could label any of our current WR's as game breakers. DT has the potential but he has also dropped some balls that hit both of his hands.

At the end of the day, I like our corp of WR's better but I just don't think your label of Marshall was accurate.

Lonestar
10-19-2010, 01:56 PM
I am not sure i agree with this statement. Brandon Marshall broke the New England game last year. He certainly broke and won the Dallas game last year.

IIRC, he tied the Seattle game in what was Jay Cutler's first start as a QB and B Marshall's first playing time.

Brandon Marshall is a playmaker as evidenced by the draft compensation we received and the contract the Dolphins gave him (not to mention Marshall's demeanor :lol:).

I am not sure you could label any of our current WR's as game breakers. DT has the potential but he has also dropped some balls that hit both of his hands.

At the end of the day, I like our corp of WR's better but I just don't think your label of Marshall was accurate.

I can almost agree here, but he has never been consistent in those "game breaking "games.

IMHO there are few of them in the league the kid from AZ comes to mind. But beyond that someone that gets a lot of catches and not so many TDs does not qualify as a game breaker.

IMO he is not better than any of our current top three and DT may just be that game breaker with his speed and size. Would I like to have him back? I'm not sure if he is mentally strong enuff to play DEN ball.

I'm sure that we may never agree on this and I can agree to disagree.

Ravage!!!
10-19-2010, 02:58 PM
whats "consistant" game breaking skills? He's been a force at WR that had the ability to take one to the house on any play, just as he's shown to do on big games. No WR make a 'game breaker' on every game. Barry Sanders didn't "game break" a run every game.

Marshall had more TDs last year than Johnson has EVER had in a single season. Marshall has more TDs (by a BUNCH) than Johnson had during his first four seasons.

Marshall is not only better than every WR we have, but is better than every offensive PLAYER we have. He is a top TWO WR in the NFL.

Not talking about how we shouldn't have traded him, only in response to the statement that he's not a game breaker and how he's not even as good as our top three.... :lol:

Lonestar
10-19-2010, 03:01 PM
whats "consistant" game breaking skills? He's been a force at WR that had the ability to take one to the house on any play, just as he's shown to do on big games. No WR make a 'game breaker' on every game. Barry Sanders didn't "game break" a run every game.

Marshall had more TDs last year than Johnson has EVER had in a single season. Marshall has more TDs (by a BUNCH) than Johnson had during his first four seasons.

Marshall is not only better than every WR we have, but is better than every offensive PLAYER we have. He is a top TWO WR in the NFL.

Not talking about how we shouldn't have traded him, only in response to the statement that he's not a game breaker and how he's not even as good as our top three.... :lol:

OK Rav believe what you wish. Lets see after the season jsut how big an game breaker he was in another scheme. unitl then..

Ravage!!!
10-19-2010, 03:09 PM
OK Rav believe what you wish. Lets see after the season jsut how big an game breaker he was in another scheme. unitl then..

I get that everyone can have their opinion and it doesn't need to be backed up by fact to have it. But really? Not better than the 3 on our own roster, really?

Plus, he already proved it in two systems, and now he has to prove it in a third for you to give the guy credit for being a game-breaking WR?

alright.... whatever floats your boat

Lonestar
10-19-2010, 03:25 PM
I get that everyone can have their opinion and it doesn't need to be backed up by fact to have it. But really? Not better than the 3 on our own roster, really?

Plus, he already proved it in two systems, and now he has to prove it in a third for you to give the guy credit for being a game-breaking WR?

alright.... whatever floats your boat

HE has not been a game breaker consistently for us. Sure he has had a few great games. But he is no TD a true game breaker.

Now I'd prefer to talk about why this passing game is annoying the OP opposed to talking about a former bronco. IIRC

Lloyd or Gaffeny both have great stats. Royal is doing well also.

sorted by 1st%

Rk Team G Pts/G TotPts Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st 1st% FUM

9 Denver Broncos 6 20.7 124 155 1,942 12.5 323.7 61 9 31 7 91 58.7 2
9 Miami Dolphins 5 17.8 89 109 1,210 11.1 242.0 46 7 10 2 64 58.7 0

sorted by yards

2 Denver Broncos 6 20.7 124 155 1,942 12.5 323.7 61 9 31 7 91 58.7 2
20 Miami Dolphins 5 17.8 89 109 1,210 11.1 242.0 46 7 10 2 64 58.7 0

by individuals # of catches
4 Jabar Gaffney DEN WR 37 408 11.0 68.0 28 1 5 0 20 54.1 0
4 Brandon Marshall MIA WR 37 467 12.6 93.4 46 1 4 2 26 70.3 0

9 Brandon Lloyd DEN WR 34 663 19.5 110.5 61 3 13 5 31 91.2 0

13 Eddie Royal DEN WR 32 367 11.5 61.2 41 2 6 1 19 59.4 0
by yards

1 Brandon Lloyd DEN WR 34 663 19.5 110.5 61 3 13 5 31 91.2 0

10 Brandon Marshall MIA WR 37 467 12.6 93.4 46 1 4 2 26 70.3 0

15 Jabar Gaffney DEN WR 37 408 11.0 68.0 28 1 5 0 20 54.1 0

19 Eddie Royal DEN WR 32 367 11.5 61.2 41 2 6 1 19 59.4 0

Not a huge difference there

Now If your talking MVP WR that might be BM for the fish.

But not significantly better than our 3 IMO.

Ravage!!!
10-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Marshall is MASSIVELY better than any WR on our roster. Not even close. But... whatever.

Lonestar
10-19-2010, 03:37 PM

:focus:

rcsodak
10-19-2010, 05:23 PM

Exactly which "guy" are you referring?

rcsodak
10-19-2010, 05:41 PM

At the end of the day, I like our corp of WR's better but I just don't think your label of Marshall was accurate.You're ridiculing DT for something BM was known for?IIRC, BM's catch in the Dallas game eas called "lucky" (not by me, but others).His 1man record vs indy was just that. He wasnt a game changer. That would be welker/clark/gates. Ds TRY to shut them down. 1TD/14rcpts?

LoyalSoldier
10-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Again I see we have all the stats, but once again the eye test is showing some problems.

Strange enough I pointed out problems in the same way LAST YEAR and got ridiculed for it, but by the end of the year everyone was saying the same thing.

Like I always say, I would love to be wrong but in this case I don't think I am. To me it seems like our passing game isn't getting the job done and our running game definitely is far from getting the job done.