PDA

View Full Version : AFC West records after 8 games

BigDaddyBronco
10-18-2010, 10:56 AM
So, I was wondering what the schedule looks like for the rest of the AFC West and to my surprise I think we are in pretty good shape after the first 8 games.

Broncos (2-4) have...
Raiders (H)
49ers (in London)

if we can win these 2 we will be 4-4, both are huge games if we are going to win the division

Chiefs (3-2) have...
Jaguars (H)
Bills (H)
Raiders (V)

at best, the Chiefs will go 2-1 and will be 5-3 after 8

Chargers (2-4) have...
Patriots (H)
Titans (H)

at best they go 1-1 and will be 3-5 after 8

Raiders (2-4) have...
Broncos (V)
Seahawks (H)

at best they go 1-1 and will be 3-5 after 8

So, if the Broncos play well and win the next two games they should be right in the divisional race unless the Chiefs win 3 games straight. the second half of the Chiefs schedule looks as easy as the first half, so it will be almost necessary for the Broncos to win both games against the Chiefs to win any tiebreakers.

Call me optimistic or a kool-aid drinker, but I think we have a decent chance.

Shazam!
10-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Optimistic kool aid drinker. :)

Northman
10-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Yes, the AFCW sucks.

camdisco24
10-18-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't disagree at all. I think KC will be tough though. They way they have been playing, they can easily win those next 3 games. Who knows though... they could be the Broncos of last year. Once they're exposed, will they go downhill??? Will they ever be exposed? KC still has alot of questions marks...

I dont see SD making a huge comeback this year. I know they always start off slow, but this season they just dont look the same as seasons past. They are making huge mistakes and execution just isn't there for them. IMO, they are on the decline, but they doesn't mean we cant turn our backs on them because you never know what Phyllis can do later in the season.

Oakland.... is Oakland. If we cant beat them, we dont deserve to win the AFCW.

The division is wide open. Yesterday's lost was one of the most painful i've experience in the long time, but they way we played yesterday gave me alot of hope. We stuck with one of the best D's in the league, and our depleted D played very tough the entire game. If we can just get a handle on the small problems, i know this team can make a run for the AFC West title...

BigDaddyBronco
10-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Both Oakland and the Chargers have difficult schedules this year. The Chiefs might have the easiest schedule in the NFL this year. It will either be KC or Denver representing the AFC West in the playoffs.

I Eat Staples
10-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Once they're exposed, will they go downhill??? Will they ever be exposed? KC still has alot of questions marks...

Yes and yes. They can win games with their defense, but Houston showed you can score points against them. Houston's terrible D kept KC in the game, but against most opponents, Matt Cassell won't score anywhere close to 31 points. Figure out KC's defense and you beat them.

That said, they could easily win their next 3 games. Jacksonville, Buffalo, and Oakland are horrible, horrible teams.

MasterShake
10-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Good post. That being said, as big as a homer I am if we are not 4-4 by the BYE week I am gonna be pissed. We should easily handle the Raiders and the 49ers. KC and SD on the road are always tough, but they are no better or worse than us. Lot of football left (thank god!). :lol:

Personally, I think Oakland is in for a beating of epic porportions next sunday...

broncofaninfla
10-18-2010, 11:57 AM
As much as it pains me to say this, KC is the best team in the AFC West right now. They run a pretty effective scheme on offense and the defense is improved from last year. Oakland is only as good at thier QB, Campbell sucks but the team plays some decent ball with Gratkowski. San Diego is stinking it up and I'm loving it BUT those ******** have a way of coming on strong when it counts. I've learned better than tocount them out.

OrangeHoof
10-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I think it is a given the Broncos will need to sweep the Chiefs to win the AFC West. They may also need a split with the Chargers.

Northman
10-18-2010, 12:04 PM
I think it is a given the Broncos will need to sweep the Chiefs to win the AFC West. They may also need a split with the Chargers.

Technically, they should sweep both Oak and SD. They are terrible.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
10-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Yes, the AFCW sucks.

I never thought KC would be the team to beat

OldschoolFreak
10-18-2010, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't count on any sweeps. The AFCW is bad, that's undeniable; but it has been for years and we always split with everyone. We will lose an unexpected game to Oakland. We will lose in KC. We always do. At best we're 4-2 in the division and that, unfortunately, is about as likely as 2-4. But my best guess is we win one we aren't expected to and lose one we're supposed to win but still find a way to split the division at 3-3.

Realistically, we should count on 3-3 in the division. That puts us at 5 wins.

What can we we win against SF, HOU, STL, and ARZ? 3 of 4 puts us at 8-8 with a shot of getting in. 4 of 4 puts us at 9-7 and a likely playoff berth.

Northman
10-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Same.

I Eat Staples
10-18-2010, 01:32 PM
The Chargers are still the team to beat, in my opinion.

KCL
10-18-2010, 02:00 PM

LMAO...KC has been playing some good ball considering they have dropped their last 2 games...Hali was able to rattle Manning and their only TD came late in the game...the way KC has finished the last couple of seasons I thought that was a big step in how they played against the Colts.

The Texans was a tough game...I was beating my head against the wall the way the secondary was playing...Houston didn't beat us by much but they did beat us..hopefully Romeo corrects those mistakes.The O did a great job yesterday and the loss yesterday falls on the D.

We should be able to beat Buffalo and the Raiders but you never know what can and will happen.Oak is always a tough game.I really wouldn't count them out..remember they have the same record as Denver...SD could get their groove on and start kicking ass..again..we will all have to wait and see.

I am glad we have Charles and am very glad the Chiefs picked up Jones..Bowe redeemed himself from last week.

Damn I wish we would have won yesterday...:banghead:

Devilspawn
10-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Personally, I think Oakland is in for a beating of epic porportions next sunday...
Heard that jibberjabber last year:

http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/jamarcusrussell.jpeg

Licking our chops!

Northman
10-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Yea, but you guys dont have Stay Puff anymore. Guaranteed Bronco win. :)

Devilspawn
10-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Yea, but you guys dont have Stay Puff anymore. Guaranteed Bronco win. :)
This insults both of us. :lol:

Day1BroncoFan
10-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Here's what I think quoted from another thread. It still applies.

I'm trying to be realistic here.

Without the running game I don't see us going past 4-4 if even that. We're going into the jets game with our D in pain form the ravens. I don't know how healthy the O line is after that game either, I hope they are all good to go.

The ravens wrote the book on how to eat us and without a running game to keep them honest I don't see a lot.

None of the upcoming games are gimme's. I think we may lose to the jets. Playing in GB has me concerned and the 49'ers are hungry. Divisional games are always tuff so I don't think the raiders will be a pushover as some do.

I am still waiting for this "gel" everyone is talking abvout for the running game to get here. If that "gel" doesn't happen soon we will be in trouble.

I try to keep it optimistic but the way the running game is it gets harder each week to do that.

HORSEPOWER 56
10-19-2010, 08:05 AM

I agree. We say the same things about them every year (Chargers aren't looking good this year they are 2-3 or 2-4 or whatever) because they always start slow. It's only a matter of time before they go on an 8 game winning streak.

MasterShake
10-19-2010, 09:29 AM

Licking our chops!

Oh really? Care to place a sig bet? I'd LOVE to make you a sexy Al Davis for you again! :lol:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/Kenobi1_bucket/devilspawn.jpg

Mike
10-19-2010, 09:41 AM

I don't think so. This SD team is not the same as the last few years. They lost to teams they couldn't afford to have lost to early. And now they are entering the tougher part of their schedule. NE, Tenn, Denver, Hou, Indy. At best, they can win 3 of those 5 and given the way their defense and ST have been playing, I am not sure they do that if Gates and Floyd are out for an extended amount of time. I think given the remainder of their schedule they are a 8-9 win team at best.

I think it will be an interesting race to watch. KC has the edge and a favorable remaining schedule. SD and Denver can make things interesting though.

Dzone
10-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Hopefully Tebow gets to play more in the red zone. Much harder to defense. We will score more touchdowns

BigDaddyBronco
10-19-2010, 09:48 AM
I don't think so. This SD team is not the same as the last few years. They lost to teams they couldn't afford to have lost to early. And now they are entering the tougher part of their schedule. NE, Tenn, Denver, Hou, Indy. At best, they can win 3 of those 5 and given the way their defense and ST have been playing, I am not sure they do that if Gates and Floyd are out for an extended amount of time. I think given the remainder of their schedule they are a 8-9 win team at best.

I think it will be an interesting race to watch. KC has the edge and a favorable remaining schedule. SD and Denver can make things interesting though.

That is what I thought about the Chargers. With the way they are playing it will be hard to beat NE, Indy, and Tenn. Houston can hang with them scoring wise and we can beat them if we play well. Add in another KC game and a game against the Bengals and they could lose 5 or 6 more games. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Chargers end up 6-10 or 7-9.

NorthernLights
10-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Eh, no. They're done. When a team goes 0-4 against teams that were a combined 15-49 last year, they're done.

I haven't seen anything to make be believe they are capable of turning it around. But I still love them and will watch every game with my tinted goggles and will drink my kool-aid like a good fan.

sanluis
10-19-2010, 04:20 PM
KC is playing really well and they have all those really good running backs that really can't be stopped. Amazing special teams play...They play consistent team D and punch people in the mouth. They are for real as long as their QB doesn't f everything up.

The Raiders, Chargers and Broncos have too many injuries and inconsistent play to really be relevant IMO to this point. With Players like dhawk, Gates , McFadden and others are all hurt. We are in trouble.:tsk:

And here comes Brady and the Pats.... :elefant:

:shocked:

Devilspawn
10-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Oh really? Care to place a sig bet? I'd LOVE to make you a sexy Al Davis for you again! :lol:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/Kenobi1_bucket/devilspawn.jpg
You're on.

I still have King's old sig somewhere ready to be changed for the next victim.

MasterShake
10-19-2010, 07:54 PM
You're on.

I still have King's old sig somewhere ready to be changed for the next victim.

Sounds good!

Cugel
10-20-2010, 03:47 PM
The Raiders game is one they should win and have to win if they are to have any hope.

I still can't believe that Kyle Orton is playing at a pro-bowl level and yet the team STILL can't win! 4-12 over the last 16 games is just not doing your job. Period. :tsk:

To add insult to injury I had to watch THIS last weekend during the Redskins game:

"Torain over the left side. . . he's through the line. . . puts on a burst. . . he's shedding tacklers . . . and finally brought down at the 10 yard line. What a run by Torain!" :mad:

The Broncos running game WAS somewhat improved (it could hardly be worse), but GOD could they use a big back like Torain right now! (There's a REASON that Maroney isn't still a Patriot and it ISN'T because he was great!) :rolleyes:

But, who are we to question McDaniels brilliant player-personnel decisions when they've all worked out so well!

Lonestar
10-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Some like Dawkins and williams have been outstanding.

I actually thought Marshall and Cutler trades were outstanding.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Chris90210
10-21-2010, 03:56 PM

Licking our chops!

http://i43.tinypic.com/1z3w2s1.jpg

Bosco
10-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Who knows though... they could be the Broncos of last year. Once they're exposed, will they go downhill??? Will they ever be exposed? KC still has alot of questions marks... They will be exposed, and they will go downhill. Count on it.

I Eat Staples
10-22-2010, 02:08 PM
They will be exposed, and they will go downhill. Count on it.

We finally agree on something.

Ravage!!!
10-22-2010, 03:44 PM
"Exposed".... I think thats always an over used term. KC isn't a great team, but there is NO DOUBT that team has actually shown improvment. Their defense is for real, while their offense isn't very good. Especially with Cassel behind center. But they have two RBs that make ANY one of our RBs look like crap (not hard to do).

Their defense is better than ours, their special teams, are better than ours, their running game, is better than ours. They won't be any more "exposed" than we will be.

Bosco
10-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Their defense is for real I remember hearing that about our 2009 defense too. While I don't think the Chiefs will fall quite that far by the end of the season, there is no question that just like Nolan, Crennel is using a lot of smoke and mirrors to cover up weaknesses. That won't be effective much longer.

Ravage!!!
10-22-2010, 06:02 PM
I remember hearing that about our 2009 defense too. While I don't think the Chiefs will fall quite that far by the end of the season, there is no question that just like Nolan, Crennel is using a lot of smoke and mirrors to cover up weaknesses. That won't be effective much longer.

Sorry. Their front players are a LOT better than ours last year, and this year. They actually have a pass rush with Dorsey and Hali, and they aren't smoke and mirrors. Johnson, isn't smoke and mirrors. FLowers isn't smoke and mirrors.

I'm guessing as soon as the Chiefs lose a game, you are going to claim they were "exposed" and thus "right." No one is claiming for them to be an undefeated team, but their improvement over the last two seasons, is more than ours.... period. Thats the point.

Bosco
10-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Sorry. Their front players are a LOT better than ours last year, and this year. Really? Where? From where I'm standing they'd top us with one DE (Peterson isn't even in the NFL, so they get that by default) and maybe with Vrabel at SOLB. Every other position in the front seven they are relatively equal or inferior to the 2009 Broncos.

FLowers isn't smoke and mirrors. He definitely is. Crennel has been putting Flowers is alot of Cover 2 under zones (a somewhat significant change from what he's normally done) where he isn't asked to play alot of single man or deep zone coverage. When he was finally asked to play those coverages last week, Andre Johnson put up nearly 100 yards on him.

Don't get me wrong, I like Brandon Flowers and think he will be a great player in time, but he is not a truly elite shutdown corner yet and he is being protected by the Chiefs current scheme.

I'm guessing as soon as the Chiefs lose a game, you are going to claim they were "exposed" and thus "right." No one is claiming for them to be an undefeated team, but their improvement over the last two seasons, is more than ours.... period. Thats the point. They've already lost a game.

Ravage!!!
10-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Really? Where? From where I'm standing they'd top us with one DE (Peterson isn't even in the NFL, so they get that by default) and maybe with Vrabel at SOLB. Every other position in the front seven they are relatively equal or inferior to the 2009 Broncos.
Uhmmm...no. Hali and Dorsey alone are much better than anything we have. Johnson is as good as anyone we have. Also, why are you comparing to the 2009 team when I'm comparing to our team NOW? Who cares about last year? Doesn't even come into play.

Don't get me wrong, I like Brandon Flowers and think he will be a great player in time, but he is not a truly elite shutdown corner yet and he is being protected by the Chiefs current scheme.

What does not being an "elite" corner have to do with anything? No one stated he was, and no one stated he was better than anyone on our roster. But just because YOU believe everythign you say is fact, doesn't make it so. SOrry. You tried to tell me that the Broncos had some "advantage" because McD coached with Crennel, but they NEVER coached when McD was the OC :lol: I can't help it, that one just cracks me up every time I read it :lol:

They've already lost a game.
Wow...no kidding? Here I thought they would go undefeated :coffee:

I guess because they lost, they are now "exposed" for not being a team that can go undefeated?

Bosco
10-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Uhmmm...no. Hali and Dorsey alone are much better than anything we have. Johnson is as good as anyone we have. Also, why are you comparing to the 2009 team when I'm comparing to our team NOW? Who cares about last year? Doesn't even come into play. Why am I comparing the 2009 Broncos to the 2010 Chiefs? Because we've been discussing the Chiefs current performance relative to the 2009 Broncos, and the 2009 Broncos were a better defense almost across the board.

You tried to tell me that the Broncos had some "advantage" because McD coached with Crennel, but they NEVER coached when McD was the OC :lol: I can't help it, that one just cracks me up every time I read it :lol: What cracks you up about that? Crennel and Weis both left the Patriots after the 2004 season and Josh took over the offense immediately after. Pretty sure that's an absolute, indisputable fact there.