PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the improved running game

broncofaninfla
10-18-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm just curious as to the opinions on why our running game was improved this past weekend. Despite the loss, I liked what I saw in the running game. I saw progress and I liked the way Tebow came in and contributed.

What's your take?

BigDaddyBronco
10-18-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm just curious as to the opinions on why our running game was improved this past weekend. Despite the loss, I liked what I saw in the running game. I saw progress and I liked the way Tebow came in and contributed.

What's your take?

Much better, but the Tebow runs were predictable. I would have liked to see another option try in the second half.

Also, if Tebow would have thrown the ball once in would have kept the Jets on their toes.

Tebow, Moreno, and Buckhalter all seem to be able to run more than 2 yards. Maroney, not so much.

LRtagger
10-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Not only was the run blocking improved, but the pass blocking was improved too.

I wonder if we can pick up a NT or OLB for Harris :laugh:

BigDaddyBronco
10-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Not only was the run blocking improved, but the pass blocking was improved too.

I wonder if we can pick up a NT or OLB for Harris :laugh:
I'm hoping Harris is just hurt and hasn't completely regressed. The pity of it all is Hochstein is playing LG. :shudder:

Ravage!!!
10-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Personally, I have to see it happen more than once to believe it. Lightning can strike once.

As far as the game, it was ok. I'm still shocked when I see Moreno land in front of of the LoS by more than a foot. Man he's slow.

BigDaddyBronco
10-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Personally, I have to see it happen more than once to believe it. Lightning can strike once.

As far as the game, it was ok. I'm still shocked when I see Moreno land in front of of the LoS by more than a foot. Man he's slow.
He is slow. Tebow looks as fast as Moreno. Buckhalter and his tore up body is faster than Moreno.

I still hate that we drafted Moreno that high in the 1st. I'm starting to hate that entire draft except for Ayers and McBath.

SR
10-18-2010, 09:45 AM
It's called Knowshon Moreno. He hits the hole like a damn lightning bolt, is hard to take down, and falls forward. Moroney is frickin terrible. He's slow, dances around in the backfield, and doesn't go to the hole at all.

topscribe
10-18-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm hoping Harris is just hurt and hasn't completely regressed. The pity of it all is Hochstein is playing LG. :shudder:

In one replay of a running play, Hochstein was getting pancaked.

I thought that was supposed to happen the other way around . . .

-----

LRtagger
10-18-2010, 09:57 AM
On the other side, Hochstein made the key block that resulted in Tebow's TD.

MileHighCrew
10-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Same as my opinion of Deion Branch, it was 1 game

RedFalcon
10-18-2010, 10:05 AM
What improved running game? 8 players ( including here 2 quarterbacks ) were necessary to run for 145 yards... Is that an improved game? When the team's leading rusher in yesterday's game had 48 yds rushing? And hands like paper, keeping on fumbling the ball.

In my opinion, that's not an improved running game. Saints' Chris Ivory ( an undrafted agent ) ran on Bucs more than all of our 8 players combined. When we will have a rusher that he alone runs for over 100 yards in a game, than I'll say there's some improvement.

Indeed, comparing with the previous games, yeah, we ran better. But still... aren't we capable of finding a good RB?

Ravage!!!
10-18-2010, 10:09 AM
It's called Knowshon Moreno. He hits the hole like a damn lightning bolt, is hard to take down, and falls forward. Moroney is frickin terrible. He's slow, dances around in the backfield, and doesn't go to the hole at all.

wow.. you have slow lightning bolts where you are from!! You guys watch the sky and just dodge lightning?? :lo: j/k j/k

Foochacho
10-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Our running game still sucks. We had to use gimmicks to open up lanes. Also the Jets seemed to worry more about stopping the pass than the run, and they did a good job of it. They were one our receivers like flies on shit.

topscribe
10-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Our running game still sucks. We had to use gimmicks to open up lanes. Also the Jets seemed to worry more about stopping the pass than the run, and they did a good job of it. They were one our receivers like flies on shit.

One good thing: The Broncos won't see a secondary like that the rest of the season.

But I personally saw some improvement in the running game . . .

-----

Dirk
10-18-2010, 10:56 AM
I thought I heard one of the commentators say that the reason the running game has been so bad is that the Broncos didn't have a lot of time to work on it during the offseason and preseason because of injuries to backs and linemen and the rookies. So they had to "learn" during the regular season.

That's kind of out there but I am pretty sure that's what they said and it came from the Broncos coaching staff.

Other than that, I saw some good things during the Jets game. One tough defense and we didn't do too bad.

topscribe
10-18-2010, 11:13 AM
I thought I heard one of the commentators say that the reason the running game has been so bad is that the Broncos didn't have a lot of time to work on it during the offseason and preseason because of injuries to backs and linemen and the rookies. So they had to "learn" during the regular season.

That's kind of out there but I am pretty sure that's what they said and it came from the Broncos coaching staff.

Other than that, I saw some good things during the Jets game. One tough defense and we didn't do too bad.

Exactly.

3.9 yards a rush can't be bad against that defense, IMO. And the Broncos actually
rushed for more yardage than the #1 rushing team in the league. Yes, there is
room for improvement, but I have no issue with the running game if it keeps
developing like this . . .

-----

BigDaddyBronco
10-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Exactly.

3.9 yards a rush can't be bad against that defense, IMO. And the Broncos actually
rushed for more yardage than the #1 rushing team in the league. Yes, there is
room for improvement, but I have no issue with the running game if it keeps
developing like this . . .

-----
It would have been over 4.0 YPC if they didn't let Maroney touch the ball.

topscribe
10-18-2010, 11:30 AM

But even Maroney appears to be improving. I'm willing to give him a few more
games. However, I do see a big difference between him and Moreno . . . he'll
never displace Moreno, from what I can see, anyway . . .

-----

jhildebrand
10-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Moreno is the only back on our roster that belongs. However, he isn't a burner but he is by far the best RB. He has the potential to be good for us a la Kevin Faulk. Nobody that will burn you but will get the job done.

Maroney is a waste of a roster spot and our 4th round pick. I really wish we still had that pick. He is running scared out there! :eek: He runs to contact. The guy is simply a joke.

Let's see what happens against the Raiders before we proclaim the running game improved or improving.

broncofaninfla
10-18-2010, 11:44 AM
In a coventional sense we still have a long way to go in the running game BUT I liked the game planning intregrating some gadget run plays. I like how we used Tebow except I'd like to see him throw to keep the defense off balance. I suspect that will come soon, hopefully for a big play or score just to give opposing defenses more to plan for.
What Denver was doing up until the Jet game was not working, I'm glad to see Mcd change it up and add a little balance to the offense. We should have won the game. I suspect Denver will have to continue this approach given the lack of talent at OL and RB but I give it a chance to work and give us a couple more wins than we would have with our under performing conventional rushing game.
I will say that despite the improvement, I'm even more convinced Moreno isn't the RB hoped he would be. He has no second gear nor no burst. The RB position will have to be addressed next season.

Lonestar
10-18-2010, 01:46 PM

clady out all Offseason
Harris out all off season.
Kuper not sure but IIRC did not play till the last game or so of PS.

Rookies at center and OLG

KM was hurt most of, if not all the PS.
BUCK was hurt,
White played but went on IR.

PS
game 4

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
B. Hall 15 33 0 9
T. Tebow 4 21 0 14
L. White 5 19 1 9
B. Quinn 1 6 0 6
C. Buckhalter 3 3 0 5
L. Ball 2 0 0 2

Game 3
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
L. Ball 10 75 0 43
L. White 12 34 1 10
B. Hall 5 15 0 10
J. Fargas 1 4 0 4

game 2

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
B. Hall 5 43 0 23
L. Ball 5 17 0 7
J. Fargas 9 13 0 6
B. Quinn 1 2 0 2

Game !

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
L. Ball 6 27 0 10
T. Tebow 2 10 1 7T
B. Quinn 2 2 0 2
B. Hall 5 -3 0 1

top that off with OL dejour

Not sure what you can expect.

Lonestar
10-18-2010, 01:49 PM

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
K. Moreno 12 48 0 14
T. Tebow 6 23 1 6
K. Orton 3 22 0 13
C. Buckhalter 6 20 0 13
L. Maroney 7 18 0 9
E. Royal 1 13 0 13
S. Larsen 1 1 0 1
B. Colquitt 1 0 0 0
same could be said for bucky and larsen

OrangeHoof
10-18-2010, 03:10 PM
I don't think the Jets were expecting Tebow/Wildcat so they were caught off-guard. The Broncos really need to have Tebow throw a pass out of it just so they had film for the opponent to prepare for.

IMO, the rushing yards this week were a fluke like a trick play. Give the next team time to recognize and prepare and I think it will be less productive, particularly if there is still no pass option. I felt like I was watching Tebow run the same plays he did at Florida.

broncobryce
10-18-2010, 05:45 PM
It's all about giving them time to mold. Some have been saying this for awhile now. Like me. And I'm never wrong, ask my wife.;)