PDA

View Full Version : Hello, 9-1-1? I Want To Report A Robbery...

OrangeHoof
10-17-2010, 06:47 PM
The Broncos were just robbed by six guys over at Mile High Stadium. They all had yellow hankies and pink whistles. Please send the police now before they get away...

Mike
10-17-2010, 06:49 PM
:confused: If anything the refs helped the Broncos today. I noticed a few questionable calls in Denver's favor and not many against.

BigDaddyBronco
10-17-2010, 06:51 PM
The PI call and the Thomas TD offset each other IMO.

KCL
10-17-2010, 06:51 PM
lol...I bet a lot of fans can say this.

Northman
10-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Where's Spike and his Hochuli avy. We needed Hochuli today.

On a serious note, when you resort to blaming officiating you have already lost the battle of wits.

scott.475
10-17-2010, 06:54 PM
The PI to give them the ball inside the 5 was good, period. I'm enough of a homer to argue if it was bad, but it wasn't. Unfortunate and not at all intentional, a very odd circumstance, but a good call.

OrangeHoof
10-17-2010, 06:55 PM
On a serious note, when you resort to blaming officiating you have already lost the battle of wits.

It was 4th-and-6. If that PI isn't called, we kneel three times and the game is over. No need for anything more.

Mike
10-17-2010, 06:55 PM
It was 4th-and-6. If that PI isn't called, we kneel three times and the game is over. No need for anything more.

Don't interfere with the pass and the penalty isn't called.

Northman
10-17-2010, 06:57 PM

If we dont commit the penalty that all that happens. Pretty simple logic.

Northman
10-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Don't interfere with the pass and the penalty isn't called.

You would think it would be that obvious. But....

KCL
10-17-2010, 07:00 PM

I agree...IMO Flowers got flagged for DPI when it looked like it should have been OPI,even the announcers thought so...Flowers was pissed...it looked like a crappy call but it wasn't the reason KC lost.

Mike
10-17-2010, 07:02 PM
I agree...IMO Flowers got flagged for DPI when it looked like it should have been OPI,even the announcers thought so...Flowers was pissed...it looked like a crappy call but it wasn't the reason KC lost.

Yeah, KC really did get jobbed. Please forgive me if I don't cry though. :lol:

KCL
10-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Yeah, KC really did get jobbed. Please forgive me if I don't cry though. :lol:

:mad:

:lol:

NightTrainLayne
10-17-2010, 07:26 PM
This crew was terrible, but I think we were the beneficiaries overall.

Ravage!!!
10-17-2010, 07:49 PM
I saw THREE Pass Interference calls, and a"unnecessary roughness" call that the Broncos GAINED from, that were bad calls. If anything, we gained our last TD on a TERRIBLE 'unnecesarry roughness' call, and a pass reception in the endzone where the receiver had his second foot out of bounds.

BroncoWave
10-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Yeah we benefited from the refs way more than they hurt us in this game, and that call at the end was totally correct. Blame this one on the bad snaps, missed FG, and vanilla playcalling in the 4th quarter but I don't see how you can pin this one on the refs.

spikerman
10-17-2010, 07:54 PM

I just got back from Houston watching the Chiefs and the Texans. I took a quick look at the play 'cause I figured it would be controversial. Unfortunately, that was definitely DPI.

spikerman
10-17-2010, 07:57 PM

Yeah, that play was coming right at me (I was in that end zone). When the flag came out I thought they were going to call Johnson for pushing off. After the game they were saying that the DB had the ol' arm bar on Johnson and that's what was called. Unfortunately they didn't show a replay on the stadium screen.

KCL
10-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Yeah, that play was coming right at me (I was in that end zone). When the flag came out I thought they were going to call Johnson for pushing off. After the game they were saying that the DB had the ol' arm bar on Johnson and that's what was called. Unfortunately they didn't show a replay on the stadium screen.

Flowers thought they were also..so did I...But the refs have the say.

spikerman
10-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Flowers thought they were also..so did I...But the refs have the say. Yeah, both Flowers and Johnson seemed pretty happy to see the flag on the field. That was one exciting game.

Ravage!!!
10-17-2010, 08:12 PM
I didn't think that was DPI, I thought it was a pretty bad call. But, as KCL said... its not what beat their team. THe Texans had 5 plays after that call that ended in the TD

KCL
10-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Yeah, both Flowers and Johnson seemed pretty happy to see the flag on the field. That was one exciting game.

It was a great game...The Texans are no slouch team...not that I thought they were...KC gave up too many big plays in the secondary and they did also but they won the shoot out...Good offensive game.

spikerman
10-17-2010, 08:17 PM
As the game wore on you could see that both offenses had the others' defense figured out. Actually it looked like KC had Houston's defense figured out as soon as the ball was kicked off. It came down to who, if anybody, could get one stop.

KCL
10-17-2010, 08:19 PM
As the game wore on you could see that both offenses had the others' defense figured out. Actually it looked like KC had Houston's defense figured out as soon as the ball was kicked off. It came down to who, if anybody, could get one stop.

"We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time." -
-- Vince Lombardi

:laugh:

TXBRONC
10-17-2010, 09:49 PM
As others have pointed out we benefited from a few bad calls by the refs.

Shazam!
10-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Bullshit. Denver giftwrapped this game to the NYJ. They had it in hand from beginning to nearly the end. Losses like this infuriate me.

PAINTERDAVE
10-17-2010, 10:55 PM
It definitly was winnable...

but DOMINANT teams wrap a game like this up.

Denver is consistantly winning or losing a game by one score.

Until we become a team that can FINISH...
we will be enduring the same results.

Creative play calling and good execution got us the lead...
it needs to be kept up... in order to seal the win.

You can NOT sit back and let the other team hang around.

I have seen too much of that under Reeves and Shanahan....

McD needs to OUTCOACH our opponents.....

Broncos Mtnman
10-17-2010, 11:11 PM
http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/1-14-05/incorrect.jpg

sneakers
10-17-2010, 11:54 PM
It is still a bullshit rule that it is a spot foul.

LRtagger
10-18-2010, 08:55 AM
We were definitely the beneficiary of some bad calls in the game, but looking solely at the last DPI call, it was not the right call.

Breaking down the play itself, both players were terribly out of position because the ball was severely underthrown. So both guys were playing for position as they waited for a jump ball. There was no intentional contact, but Holmes lost his balance and fell backwards. In the process, he grabbed Hills jersey as he fell (you can clearly see it below). This made Hill lose his balance and he reached back to gain balance and grabbed Holmes' facemask which is what was flagged.

If anything, this should have been either PI on both players or a no call...or even just a 15 yard facemask on Hill. Again, I can't blame the game on this call because we had some calls go our way earlier, but it sucks that this was a 4th down play that they scored the winning TD on. You can't say those other bad calls were make or break calls in the game, but this one obviously was. And IMO it was a bad call.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=27330&stc=1&d=1287377078
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=27331&stc=1&d=1287377086

OrangeHoof
10-18-2010, 09:03 AM
If it was defensive holding, or a facemask, I could live with it because, even though it would give the Jets a first down, it would have given the Broncos a fair shot to win the game. By giving them 40+ yards to the one-yard-line at the end of the game, they were deciding the outcome of the game.

I would contend there was more contact on the desperation throw to D. Thomas in the opposite corner of the field than there was by Hill.

topscribe
10-18-2010, 09:57 AM
The PI call and the Thomas TD offset each other IMO.

Nope. The TD was legit. I watched the replay several times, and TD's foot came
down as he caught the ball. By the time he stepped out of bounds, both feet had
come down in bounds. It amazed me how the color man ignored that as he went
on and on about that foot he circled out of bounds.

The PI was legit, too. Hill grabbed the face mask. It was inadvertent, but he still
grabbed it . . .

-----

Ravage!!!
10-18-2010, 10:05 AM
I believe he was bobbling. I watched that replay several times as well, and I don't think that foot came in bounds after he established control of the ball. I think we got the benefit of the Jets using up their 2nd time out on the catch challenge one play prior (boy did we get the benefit of that lame unnecessary roughness call).

Doesnt' matter. I think we got the benefit of a lot of bad calls yesterday... still wasn't enough.

Ravage!!!
10-18-2010, 10:07 AM
If it was defensive holding, or a facemask, I could live with it because, even though it would give the Jets a first down, it would have given the Broncos a fair shot to win the game. By giving them 40+ yards to the one-yard-line at the end of the game, they were deciding the outcome of the game.

I would contend there was more contact on the desperation throw to D. Thomas in the opposite corner of the field than there was by Hill.

if it wasn't a facemask, I truly believe there would have been NO call on any PI. But because it was the facemask, the ref just couldn't ignore it. So I see what you are saying but I don't think "they" determined the outcome of the game. NOT calling that facemask would have been scrutinized all week long, and would ahve been the WRONG call not to.

I Eat Staples
10-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Blame Hill, not the refs. He blatantly grabbed Holmes' face mask. Stupid play by Hill, it would have been an incredibly difficult catch to make.

topscribe
10-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Blame Hill, not the refs. He blatantly grabbed Holmes' face mask. Stupid play by Hill, it would have been an incredibly difficult catch to make.

Hill grabbed the face mask, but he didn't blatantly grab it. It was inadvertent.

Don't make it what it was not . . .

-----

Lon Chaney
10-18-2010, 10:38 AM
I agree that the refs probably don't call PI if Hill doesn't grab the facemask. But it can't be called a 15 yard facemask penalty because the ball was in the air.

In all honesty, the Broncos benefitted from more of the calls than the Jets. The Jim Leonard hit? The PI on Cromartie? The holding on Coleman? The offensive PI on Holmes?

Bottom line is that Denver outplayed the Jets and the Jets got lucky with a play late in the game. I was worried about the travel on a short week and I think that was evident. Plus, McDaniels (eventhough I dislike him) outcoached Ryan pretty bad.

topscribe
10-18-2010, 10:39 AM
I believe he was bobbling. I watched that replay several times as well, and I don't think that foot came in bounds after he established control of the ball. I think we got the benefit of the Jets using up their 2nd time out on the catch challenge one play prior (boy did we get the benefit of that lame unnecessary roughness call).

Doesnt' matter. I think we got the benefit of a lot of bad calls yesterday... still wasn't enough.

It looked like it initially, that DT was bobbling. He did bobble a bit when he first
caught it, but he had firm grasp of it as he crossed the boundary line. He then
bobbled again as he hit the ground, but he was already out of bounds . . .

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010101709/2010/REG6/jets@broncos/watch

-----

I Eat Staples
10-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Hill grabbed the face mask, but he didn't blatantly grab it. It was inadvertent.

Don't make it what it was not . . .

-----

Adj. 1. blatant - without any attempt at concealment; completely obvious;

I was referring to that definition. I'm not saying he purposely did it, but in that situation he should purposely avoid doing it.

spikerman
10-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Officials are taught that if in question as to whether a ball is catchable or not, it is catchable. Since the receiver actually got his hands on the ball, it was definitely catchable, imo, and the grabbing of the facemask definitely affected the play. It sucks, and I don't blame Hill, but I do think DPI was the right call.

On another note, I heard them say on ESPN this morning that Rex Ryan believes the Broncos let the Jets score on purpose on the next play.

I Eat Staples
10-18-2010, 09:13 PM
I think the real question here is, should defensive PI in the NFL be a spot foul penalty, or just 15 yards like in college? Discuss.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-18-2010, 09:22 PM
Vic Lombardi said that what bothered him on the call was that the referee looking straight on did not throw the flag. It was the ref behind the players - i.e. - he was standing behind the players

This is what Hill had to say:

http://twitter.com/postbroncos

# Hill, on his contact w/ Holmes: "That's all it was, accidental. With the hand, I was just trying to catch my balance. That's all I can say" 31 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# Hill: "That's what got me off balance. I don't know that I'd do anything differently in that situation." 32 minutes ago via TweetDeck

# Broncos S Renaldo Hill said he "felt a little tug" from Santonio Holmes on the 4th down play yesterday. 32 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Denver Native (Carol)
10-18-2010, 09:39 PM
top posted the link to this in another thread:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81b6f8f8/article/broncos-cb-hill-believes-he-was-on-wrong-end-of-penalty-call

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- One day and countless rewinds later, Broncos cornerback Renaldo Hill said he still believes he shouldn't have been flagged for pass interference on the decisive play that led to the New York Jets' improbable victory in Denver.

If anything, Hill said Santonio Holmes tugged at him and should have been whistled for offensive pass interference, giving the Broncos possession so they could salt away the win.

"I thought I looked back for the ball, I felt a little tug, and that's what kind of got me off balance," Hill said Monday, one day after declining in the post-game locker room to discuss the game-turning call. "I don't know that I would do anything differently in that situation."

Hill got tangled up with Holmes on Mark Sanchez's Hail Mary pass on fourth-and-6 from midfield with under 2 minutes left. Field judge Gary Cavaletto called pass interference on Hill, who had swiped Holmes' face mask with a couple of fingers on his right hand while both fell to the turf.

That moved the ball half the football field and gave the Jets possession at the Broncos' 2-yard line. LaDainian Tomlinson scored from there to give the Jets a 24-20 victory.

Holmes insisted after the game that he would have made the catch had his head not been turned by Hill's right hand.

Hill said Monday it was accidental because he was just trying to instinctively maintain his balance.

"We were both falling at that point," Hill said. "And I was in front of him. So, I don't really know what other way I could have done it."

Hill acknowledged that at first he believed Holmes would be whistled for offensive pass interference -- there already had been four such flags in the game.

"It's one of those things that stings," Hill said, "but I can't let it linger for too long."

OrangeHoof
10-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Randy Cross during the MNF radio call tonight: "Something's got to be done about these excessive pass interference calls. Which shove or tug do you call when they're both doing it? Yesterday, it basically gave the Jets the game up in Denver."